Music You're Listening To Now...

37,664 Views | 331 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by caryking
GuerrillaPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RIP Marie

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
JocoPack
Got any DBT fans?

Denverpack
JocoPack said:

Got any DBT fans?

Big Jason Isbell fan. I like some of the DBT stuff.
Skylitdrive
JocoPack said:

statefan91 said:

Have enjoyed all of this Sturgill Simpson stuff lately
Yeah his last two albums have been great(not discounting his earlier stuff)

I'm excited about his show in December.

Going to see Sturgill and Childers in Charleston in March. Really looking forward to that! Plus a lot of good breweries in the area.
JocoPack
Skylitdrive said:

JocoPack said:

statefan91 said:

Going to see Sturgill and Childers in Charleston in March. Really looking forward to that! Plus a lot of good breweries in the area.

That's awesome man. I'll be at the show in Hampton in February. Looking forward to it!
statefan91
Anyone a fan of 80s/new wave? Not limited to it but I found a great playlist on Spotify that has some 12" songs (extended versions of radio releases) that are pretty solid.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DXbNxO0uJPyJ9

Also found a band called CCFX that gives off a lot of Smiths / The The vibes.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/28tPuyqMVd3L51JmH9RpGZ
Anti-Smurf
Given today's news of the passing of Neil Peart - I will be listening to the Rush catalog for the distant future. Including watching all the live shows I have.

Outside of that, been listening to Weezer's Teal record, Chris Shiflett, BlackBerry Smoke
JocoPack

RIP to one of the best to ever do it
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Sierrawolf
I've been on a St. Paul and the Broken Bones kick
wilmwolf
Amen. Love Bill. There's a great documentary out there on him called "Still Bill" which is excellent. Even with a hit record, Bill kept his manufacturing job because he knew that his musical fame could be fleeting. Excellent song writer with his own quirky way of playing chords that made his music sound like nothing else, and a wonderful voice. He will be missed.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packchem91
Skylitdrive said:

JocoPack said:

statefan91 said:

I saw him in Charlotte -- I loved his first two records, to me, some of the best music in recent memory; but I enjoyed Tyler Childers much more in concert.
Sturgill just blazed his guitar -- and he is amazing at that -- but that was not what I wanted to hear so much.

Childers....that guy is talented. He just gets up there and plays and sings, all business, very good.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

RIP to one of the best to ever do it
He was special. The beautiful thing about that video -- that's just voice. No engineering, the guy just had a strong, electric voice.
Lean on Me is one of my favorite songs of all time.
Daviewolf83
My musical tastes run the gamut from classic rock, heavy metal, classical music, bluegrass (not country) and jazz. During the day, while working from home, I listen to classical music streamed live from WCPE.

A week ago, I saw this video on YouTube. I am a fan of Miles Davis and this one blew me away. It is a portion of the soundtrack of a Louis Malle movie from 1958, called "Elevator to the Gallows." The fascinating thing is that Miles recorded the entire soundtrack in basically one take, while he was watching a screening of the movie. He came to the studio with some rough notes and ideas and recorded with a group of French jazz players instead of his usual band mates. The opening of the soundtrack is quite haunting.

wilmwolf
Sturgill hasn't been the same since he lost Laur as his lead guitarist. Not that Sturgill isn't a good guitarist, but Laur was an other worldly, dynamic player. Sturgill's lead playing too often ventures into bar band type aimless noodling, and I say that as a person that's done plenty of aimless noodling in bar bands for 20 years. The live shows from the Metamodern era and just after were transcendent with the interplay and improvisation between the band. It seems now that he's content to play stoner rock, which is fine for him if that's what he wants, but I'm not going to pay $150 to see it.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Sturgill hasn't been the same since he lost Laur as his lead guitarist. Not that Sturgill isn't a good guitarist, but Laur was an other worldly, dynamic player. Sturgill's lead playing too often ventures into bar band type aimless noodling, and I say that as a person that's done plenty of aimless noodling in bar bands for 20 years. The live shows from the Metamodern era and just after were transcendent with the interplay and improvisation between the band. It seems now that he's content to play stoner rock, which is fine for him if that's what he wants, but I'm not going to pay $150 to see it.
Yeah, I wouldn't go back to see him if he is just going to play all the new stuff with almost no lyrics (though this one was special, b/c it was my 3 boys gift to me for Christmas, and we went together). What he ended up playing just wasn't my cup of tea. I get him not wanting to play a bunch of songs off of High Top Mountain (even though it is one of the best albums I know of), but to play none of it....

Now, I could have sat and listened to Childers all night.
JocoPack
Laur's style of play was other-worldly. I have a couple of shows Sturg did at 3rd and Lindsay saved on my iPod a few years ago and they were a whole different band with Laur.
pack95
Dwight Yoakam for the win
JocoPack
I had tickets to see them in Hampton, VA but it got cancelled due to the Rona. I've heard of people watching Tyler's set then leaving before Sturgill even came on.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

I had tickets to see them in Hampton, VA but it got cancelled due to the Rona. I've heard of people watching Tyler's set then leaving before Sturgill even came on.
old Sturgill, Childers, Stapleton, and Luke Combs, and I have good evening of sound.
JocoPack
Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

old Sturgill, Childers, Stapleton, and Luke Combs, and I have good evening of sound.
Hell yeah brother. 4 of my favorites right there.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

Hell yeah brother. 4 of my favorites right there.
6 mos ago I would have put ZBB on that list, but he's done gone off the deep end, so I'll add in U2 (which would actually go #1 on the list, being honest)
JocoPack
ZBB used to have one of the best live shows I've ever seen. His album "You Get What You Give" is top 5 for me. I saw his multi-instrumentalist Clay Cook and Levi Lowry once in downtown Raleigh. That was a good show as well.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

ZBB used to have one of the best live shows I've ever seen. His album "You Get What You Give" is top 5 for me. I saw his multi-instrumentalist Clay Cook and Levi Lowry once in downtown Raleigh. That was a good show as well.
100% agree on that album. Not sure they can live up to that one again, with every song being so good. Specifically the song Colder Weather....absolute one of the best songs I know. The harmonies and instrumentals in that song are incredible.
Now, he's a pop artist with synthesized voice, etc. Terrible.

But I imagine his live show is still top notch
Steve Williams
Staff
Kinda like this metal meets country song

Wolfer79
Eric Church
Packchem91
Wolfer79 said:

Eric Church
Yes. And he was quite the spokesman on the ACM show last night. Very nice message before he played a new song acoustically.
JocoPack
Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

100% agree on that album. Not sure they can live up to that one again, with every song being so good. Specifically the song Colder Weather....absolute one of the best songs I know. The harmonies and instrumentals in that song are incredible.

I love the song "Quiet Your Mind" as well. ZBB's harmonies are some of the best I've ever heard.
Packchem91
JocoPack said:

Packchem91 said:

JocoPack said:

I love the song "Quiet Your Mind" as well. ZBB's harmonies are some of the best I've ever heard.

Agreed. Their song Day That I Die also led me to Amos Lee, who has some great bluesy type songs in his own right.
Wolfer79
Bell Tower Grey
94.9 The Surf to go with a bloody mary. Good rainy morning, folks.
Wolfer79
I keep getting drawn back to Eric Church "Sinners Like Me"
CLA327
Wolfer, more from Eric Church.....who will answer the call - very inspiring

https://twitter.com/ericchurch
[url=https://twitter.com/ericchurch][/url]

Wolfer79
CLA327 said:

Wolfer, more from Eric Church.....who will answer the call - very inspiring

https://twitter.com/ericchurch
[url=https://twitter.com/ericchurch][/url]

thanks

GuerrillaPack
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
JocoPack
FYI The Band's last show "The Last Waltz" doc, directed by Martin Scorsese, is on Amazon Prime video now. Made my wife watch it the other night. If you're not a fan of Robbie Robertson you may not like it as much but it's still classic.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.