Raleigh Regional Game Thread

33,237 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GrayWolf98
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brown has struggled recently, but he pulled from deep down to go the distance in one we had to have. Going to need big games from a few other guys to make it out.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
PackFansXL
He seemed to struggle after his complete game win a few games back. Glad he returned to form today. This is how we won so many series this season with Brown as our day two ace.
wilmwolf
FSU loses. I thought they were playing as well as anyone in the country last week.
BigLefty24
wilmwolf80 said:

FSU loses. I thought they were playing as well as anyone in the country last week.

Fire Mike Martin.
Struttingwolf96
I think he's won multiple ACC championships, regular season & tourney including this years. His teams have been to Omaha a few times as well, though haven't won it I think. Plus a few ACC COY, I think he might be in the college Hall of Fame as well. So he's probably gonna get a pass from the fans, I know he wud if he was the coach here at State. We could only wish Avent done half of what Martin gas at FSU.
BigLefty24
Struttingwolf96 said:

I think he's won multiple ACC championships, regular season & tourney including this years. His teams have been to Omaha a few times as well, though haven't won it I think. Plus a few ACC COY, I think he might be in the college Hall of Fame as well. So he's probably gonna get a pass from the fans, I know he wud if he was the coach here at State. We could only wish Avent done half of what Martin gas at FSU.

To use your same logic in your previous post.. Martin has been at FSU for 38 years.. Yes, he's won almost 2,000 games, but he's also lost almost 800! In 40 years at one of the premier baseball programs in the nation, he's never won a College World Series, despite having had 70 All Americans, 5 National Player of the Years, and scores of MLB players on his roster. In 40 years, he's never been NCAA Coach of the Year, something even Elliot Avent has accomplished. Mike Martin is a good coach, but not good enough to get FSU to the next level. He's like Sendek or O'Brien.

See how stupid that sounds?
Struttingwolf96
Sendek, Avent, & O'Brien all put together wish they had an overall record & the accomplishments that Martin has put together & had at FSU. I guarantee you the two that are gone would still be at State if they did.
Struttingwolf96
That's the level I bet Avent himself wishes he could get to. He would probably trade the one NCAA COY for Just one of those Championships of any kind that Martin has.
BigLefty24
Half the athletic budget, D2 facilities, and not having Florida talent to cherry pick from.. Apples to oranges. But keeping beating the drum. We always need anothercoach to fire.
Pack87
If Yow wanted to fire Avent she should have by now. She shouldn't be making any moves in the Major sports with only one year left to go. Let a new AD come up with a master plan for baseball and Avent can handle a couple more seasons until that happens.
Struttingwolf96
You don't think Yow wants to put her own stamp on the baseball program like she has done with the hiring of Doeren for football & Keatts, Moore for mens & womens basketball, even the wrestling coach Pat Popolizo(sp)? I believe she has done a good job, other than Gottfried, dont know what she was thinking there, getting rid of coaches who couldn't get the job done & hiring the right people for the job needed to be done. I think she has a good knowledge of what most State fans want & would hire a good baseball coach as well to get the team to where it needs to be. She looks to have most of the schools programs headed in the right direction so far. I think shes trying to leave her own positive legacy on State before she retires & for the next AD.
CLTWolf
BigLefty24 said:

Half the athletic budget, D2 facilities, and not having Florida talent to cherry pick from.. Apples to oranges. But keeping beating the drum. We always need anothercoach to fire.

It's a waste of time with this dude, Lefty.
basementwolf
BigLefty24 said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

To use your same logic in your previous post.. Martin has been at FSU for 38 years.. Yes, he's won almost 2,000 games, but he's also lost almost 800! In 40 years at one of the premier baseball programs in the nation, he's never won a College World Series, despite having had 70 All Americans, 5 National Player of the Years, and scores of MLB players on his roster. In 40 years, he's never been NCAA Coach of the Year, something even Elliot Avent has accomplished. Mike Martin is a good coach, but not good enough to get FSU to the next level. He's like Sendek or O'Brien.

See how stupid that sounds?
Welcome to the board Evil Genius.
BricesCreekWolf
Lefty-
Name another coach in college football, basketball, or baseball that has coached 21 years without a conference championship.

Civilized
BricesCreekWolf said:

Lefty-
Name another coach in college football, basketball, or baseball that has coached 21 years without a conference championship.

Name another coach in college football, basketball, or baseball that has done as much as Avent has over the last 21 years, with fewer resources. You can't support athletics in a bottom-half way financially and then expect championships. What Avent has done given how little support baseball gets at State is really remarkable.

And you don't fire a coach for consistently competing but not winning a tournament. It's the coach's job to put you in a position to win, and Avent consistently does that. Then you hope that a little luck falls your way.

Winning in sports takes skill and luck and money and State has had only one of those three things over the last two decades, but fans don't want to hear that.
basementwolf
Civilized said:

BricesCreekWolf said:

Lefty-

Name another coach in college football, basketball, or baseball that has done as much as Avent has over the last 21 years, with fewer resources. You can't support athletics in a bottom-half way financially and then expect championships. What Avent has done given how little support baseball gets at State is really remarkable.

And you don't fire a coach for consistently competing but not winning a tournament. It's the coach's job to put you in a position to win, and Avent consistently does that. Then you hope that a little luck falls your way.

Winning in sports takes skill and luck and money and State has had only one of those three things over the last two decades, but fans don't want to hear that.

You're mis-informed. Coaches get fired for that all the time.
Struttingwolf96
Colleges sure do. You can even include the major league sports teams who have millions of dollars to spend, bring in top talent & have luxury facilities for guys to play in. One coach in particular just led his team, the Toronto Raptors to there 4th straight playoff game, so
The division for the second straight year, & won NBA COY, but still got fired because ownership got tired of not getting better & didn't see the coach as being the man to get the job done. They were not just satisfied with being average, you have to strive to want more & do better, has Avent? Really, look at the results & think about it.
Civilized
basementwolf said:

Civilized said:

BricesCreekWolf said:

Lefty-

You're mis-informed. Coaches get fired for that all the time.
Not at colleges that fund their sports at a below-average level, they don't.

Avent is the pre-ACC tournament champ Mike Brey, only if Mike Brey's program was severely underfunded. You don't fire that guy. Or I guess, you can, but it's stupid.
CLTWolf
Struttingwolf96 said:

Colleges sure do. You can even include the major league sports teams who have millions of dollars to spend, bring in top talent & have luxury facilities for guys to play in. One coach in particular just led his team, the Toronto Raptors to there 4th straight playoff game, so
The division for the second straight year, & won NBA COY, but still got fired because ownership got tired of not getting better & didn't see the coach as being the man to get the job done. They were not just satisfied with being average, you have to strive to want more & do better, has Avent? Really, look at the results & think about it.

Who you gonna hire if you fire Avent? Tell us.
Struttingwolf96
I personally don't know, I was hoping Avent would have won or done something to change my mind. I've pulled for him many times, I do like him & think he is a solid coach, but just think we need a new coach at the helm to revitalize the program & take it up a notch from where it has been. I believe that AD Yow might have someone in mind, she hired Moore, Doeren, Popolizo, & Keatts when people didn't have them as top candidates or thought they were reaches when hired. I'm sure she has a young coach in mind or will find one though if she does let Avent go. If Avent did stay what would your expectations be for next year's team, the same as this one? Have another average season, not win the ACC again, & either get knock out of supers, regionals, or not even make it. We are probably gonna lose all 3 outfielders, our top pitcher, & reliever, plus Pitarra & maybe Edwards in the infield. If Avent couldn't get more out of this talented, veteran squad, what's next year gonna be like? Is he gonna use being a young team as a reason? The decision making, passion, & attitude on this team down the stretch has been suspect. This seems like a totally different team than the one who started the season out so strong & yet they are the same guys. Yes the players have to take some of the blame, but you know what they say, attitude reflects leadership, that's on Avent & his staff.
wilmwolf
It would be great if there could be a separate fire Avent thread.
Pack31
wilmwolf80 said:

Agreed. Who's pitching today? Did Mize go against Army yesterday?
Andrew4343
Can piedmonte give us a few good innings? Maybe 3 0s and let our bats get to work?

Pack31 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

DrummerboyWolf
Pack31 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Mize did pitch last night. I stopped watching early, but I presume he went deep into the game.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
CLTWolf
Mize went 7 innings throwing 90 plus pitches. He's gotta be done for the regional.
gopack1979
Avent doesn't have the resources because he is a PITA to work with. He had his Stadium refurb in hand(2 yrs ago) and at the last min rejected it because he wanted a new stadium not on campus. He is his own worst enemy.
Gost8
Do we start a mid week pitcher this afternoon , then Piedmont and Beline next 2 games if needed?
Wolfer79
Gost8 said:

Do we start a mid week pitcher this afternoon , then Piedmont and Beline next 2 games if needed?

I have thought both ways and decided NC State has to play to win the 2pm game then see who is left for 7pm game. Just my current thought.
wilmwolf
Gost8 said:

It's an elimination game, you throw the best guy you've got left. If you win, you do the same in the next game. If we make it though two games today, it will be all hands on deck Monday. If we somehow make it to Monday, the other team will likely be in a bind also, so it won't be as important.
gopack1979
If you can get past Army without pitching O'Donnell or Klyman do you maybe start one of those guys?
Wolfer79
#Pack9 will have a rematch with Army Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m., as Auburn defeated the Black Knights, 12-1 https://t.co/tvbSFGNvlj
wilmwolf
My guess is Piedmonte at 2 with Klyman ready for long relief. If we win, throw Bienlien at 7. Beat the odds and make it to Monday, throw the kitchen sink at them.
Ripper
wilmwolf80 said:

My guess is Piedmonte at 2 with Klyman ready for long relief. If we win, throw Bienlien at 7. Beat the odds and make it to Monday, throw the kitchen sink at them.
Agree with this. If we get to Monday, could Johnston throw an inning or two? Not sure about his Friday pitch count. Definitely don't save Klyman and O'Donnell for a future game. Gotta win the first one.
Pack31
Wolfer79 said:

Gost8 said:

I have thought both ways and decided NC State has to play to win the 2pm game then see who is left for 7pm game. Just my current thought.

This. I would hate to think we saved O'Donnell or Klyman hoping or counting on winning at 2. If healthy as he said, Piedmonte goes at 2, as far as he's able to. 6 year dude, hopefully we'll be fired up like Brown yesterday.
BricesCreekWolf
I apologize for this post since we are about to play. But I do get tired of the hearing the facilities excuse. If I am not mistaken, Wake has won at least 3 ACC Championships in the last 21 years. Wakes facilities are garbage compared to ours.

State deserves a change. That said, go Pack and I hope we kick but today.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.