Raleigh Regional Game Thread

32,896 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GrayWolf98
BigLefty24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LOL @ this strike zone.
BigLefty24
Lloyd Braun said:

Score?

8-3 bad guys in the bottom of the 6th.
BigLefty24
Tatum comes in and tries to hit one to Durham.
BigLefty24
Then Kinneman watches strike three right down the middle to leave the bases loaded. God Almighty.
rmcwpups
Kinneman watches the third strike down the middle with bases loaded
wilmwolf
Tough to not even get a swing on that one.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wbtaylor
I feel like Kinneman has struck out every time he's been at the plate for a big at bat over the last two months. Swing the bat. Jeeeesus
rmcwpups
Bad News Bears
dmelvin
Never have I seen a team fall this much . Very good team before the UNC series . Now they are pathetic !
Dmelvin
wolfpack1437
It was apparent a couple months back that we didn't have the pitching to come out of the losers bracket, however, the bats and the defense are disappointing. Too many guys in the bottom of the lineup that can't hit at all
metcalfmafia
Let's do this again next year shall we?
packman78
We need a culture change, tired of watching collapse after collapse
Struttingwolf96
Agree.
Ripper
What Juniors do we lose? Kinneman and Edwards. Hopefully Feeney is healthy next spring. Need Debo as DH like his Frosh season. Still have Wilson and Bailey. Still need help. Hope jucos are good.
Struttingwolf96
Our pitching should go from being a weakness on this year's team to a strength for next year's team. State has Bienlien, Gauthier, Feeney(injured), Harrison, Klyman, & Johnston to fill out a starting rotation, not to mention a few newcomers who may be here, the Juco pitcher Smith & Freshmen pitchers Dockery & Tillery. The ones that cant make the top 3 go to the bullpen. The bullpen will also have Staley(?), Clenney, Centela, Justice, Pike, Hooper, Swiney, Vaughn, Cotter(RS), the ECU transfer Ingle, jucos Creel & Blake, & a few Freshmen.
LegacyPack4
Are we for sure Kinneman AND Edwards are both gone?
Ripper
LegacyPack4 said:

if they get drafted in any of the 40 rounds, I would imagine they are gone. I guess it's possible one or both don't get drafted, but I doubt it. We'll see soon. Was Debo in the dog house?
Struttingwolf96
I think Kinneman & Edwards will head to the draft. The team will return Bailey & Conley behind the plate along with a Freshmen named Tresh coming in. Debo will probably DH or try first base out, he has to get straightend out & Gulakowski is more of a utility guy I believe. In the infield the team brings back Wilson at SS, Jarrett at SB, & Cooper at 3B. There is also Vazquez, who I believe will play much more next year & Brown returning, but I also think Brown may be moved to the outfield to get him in the lineup. The newcomers as for now will be juco IF Rey & 2 Freshmen. The whole starting outfield will be new, as of now Tatum, McArthur, & Baker(RS) are the only listed, there is a juco by the name of Butler coming I believe & maybe 2 Freshmen. So it's looking like a whole new team. Maybe time to start it off as well with a new head man coaching them next year.
cowboypack02
Even though the season didn't end the way any of us hoped I appreciate the effort put forth by the players. Hopefully we'll have better results next year
Wolfer79
LegacyPack4 said:

You should always act as if draft eligible players will not return for senior season.

If they come back, it is a good thing.
Pakbackr
I know there will be a lot of post-season focus on Avent, and rightfully so. But if DY brings in someone new, we have to also make an immediate commitment to upgrading our facilities. IHMO, our baseball facilities are at or near the bottom in the ACC. So when you think of it, what Avent has done with these facilities, is really pretty incredible. We simply are not going to take the next step that this passionate fan base desperately wants, by ignoring the facilities differential.
BigLefty24
The team was picked to finish fourth in the Atlantic, 8th in the ACC. Spent a large part of the season ranked in the top 5 of the nation, and hosted another regional. Very respectable year, with a lot of returning pieces.
Elrod
Do we know what DY's expectations are of Avent and the program?
The downfall of every great society has always been immediately preceded by a significant increase in the number of lawyers.
packman34
Pakbackr said:

I know there will be a lot of post-season focus on Avent, and rightfully so. But if DY brings in someone new, we have to also make an immediate commitment to upgrading our facilities. IHMO, our baseball facilities are at or near the bottom in the ACC. So when you think of it, what Avent has done with these facilities, is really pretty incredible. We simply are not going to take the next step that this passionate fan base desperately wants, by ignoring the facilities differential.
Agree 1000%. When ECU has a 10x better baseball facility than we do, its time to upgrade. No more excuses. I wonder how many top level recruits chose other schools due to our facilities being so far behind everyone else? The fan support is there...time to do something Debbie!!
Struttingwolf96
It was another typical year, Avent's teams have won 40 games before. He can not win the big games. Once again the team didn't win anything & we are left to say wait til next year or we got some good players coming back. It's been 21 years now & nothing to show for it, but 1 ncaa COY honor. I say if AD Yow is going to upgrade the facilities you go ahead & bring in a new coach & have there input on it, not somebody who is headed out the door.
BigLefty24
Struttingwolf96 said:

It was another typical year, Avent's teams have won 40 games before. He can not win the big games. Once again the team didn't win anything & we are left to say wait til next year or we got some good players coming back. It's been 21 years now & nothing to show for it, but 1 ncaa COY honor. I say if AD Yow is going to upgrade the facilities you go ahead & bring in a new coach & have there input on it, not somebody who is headed out the door.

Sweet Jesus
CLTWolf
Struttingwolf96 said:

You don't quit do you?

Typical year? Read Lefty's post. This team overachieved from all preseason prognostications and did it with several arms (key, important arms) either missing the entire year (Feeney and Staley) or parts of the year during important stretches (Bienlien and Piedmonte).

This team won 42 games with basically zero offensive production from the 2B, 3B and DH positions. We had injuries to key players such as Pitarra (leg) and Debo (concussion) causing them to miss a ton of games as well.

But typical state fan wants to fire a guy after one of his best coaching jobs in 22 years thinking the next guy will be better. The next guy will cost more money (are we willing to pay what it will take?) and want better facilities than what Avent is working with now. But hey, fire the dude and see what happens. Your posts then should be pretty epic.
GrayWolf98
I agree about laying off Avent. We won 42 games this year. Quite the season despite very little expectations and all the injuries that hit the team. It hurts to lose another regional, but I like the state of the program. We are right there. Just need to capture a few big wins. Go PACK!
The artist formerly known as LuvtheHerb - DONT PANIC!
Struttingwolf96
Injuries are part of the game, everybody has them. Good teams & coaches deal with them & try to overcome them, not use it as an excuse. That's my point though Avent can coach when no one expects anything from him, but as soon as the team gets some reasonable expectations or some light gets thrown on it Avent & his teams have been like a deer in headlights.
CLTWolf
Struttingwolf96 said:

Injuries are part of the game, everybody has them. Good teams & coaches deal with them & try to overcome them, not use it as an excuse. That's my point though Avent can coach when no one expects anything from him, but as soon as the team gets some reasonable expectations or some light gets thrown on it Avent & his teams have been like a deer in headlights.
Ok whatever you say. I'll just be nice and let you feel like you got a win today. You seem to need it.

GrayWolf98
Struttingwolf96 said:

Not all injuries are the same, based on depth and performance at key positions. 42 wins is a really good season. We beat some very good teams including sweeping Clemson at Clemson. I do not think you can blame Avent for the bats and pitchers going cold at the end of the season, but maybe I am missing something. You aren't going to beat many good teams committing five errors in the field like we did vs Auburn. Again, to me, that is on the players and not the coach.
The artist formerly known as LuvtheHerb - DONT PANIC!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.