Raleigh Regional Game Thread

33,229 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GrayWolf98
Struttingwolf96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Absolutely agree. The writing has been on the wall about this program as a whole for a while now, it's stagnant. Another disappointing season, say what u want. Other State teams have won 40 games before, then fizzle out just like this one looks like it has done at the end. Sorry, but it has to be time for a change, Avent has never been able to get his team's over that hump. He reminds me of former coaches Sendek, in basketball & O'Brien, in football, a good representative for the program & solid coach, but will never get State to where the fans & the ones above Avent want to be. For people who defend him, this loss at home should only justify a change. Maybe the team can pull off a miraculous run, but it shouldn't have to come down to that. He's been at State 20 years now, with only one trip to the CWS, one ACC COY honor, not one single championship of any kind, & not only has he got the most wins of any State head baseball coach, but also has the most loses as well. Just like O'Brien & Sendek, they combined for one COY honor(Sendek) & one Atlantic division title (O'Brien) that's more than Avent can say & thats not good. Plus, the only way I see where comparing the basketball ncaa tourney & the ncaa baseball tourney is when your team gets to Omaha, that's equivalent to making the sweet 16 in basketball, sorry don't see how the regionals or super regionals can be compared to reaching that or the elite 8. Just a very discouraging loss.
Elrod
"Go take a shower and go to bed"? That's real leadership right there. Next thing is he will hand out participation trophies.
The downfall of every great society has always been immediately preceded by a significant increase in the number of lawyers.
EthanBarry
Staff
I hope everybody who has complained that we hit too many home runs and don't get enough hits enjoyed the game tonight
hink2
I wish I remembered that Atlantic Division title and subsequent ACC Championship game appearance. It must have been so much fun I drank for a week straight and it was wiped from my memory
Struttingwolf96
Sorry, you are correct. I got that wrong, O'Brien was still at Boston College in '05. Thank you for correcting me. That means none of our programs haven't won any type of championship for a while, very depressing.
metcalfmafia
Man I'm afraid if he loses tomorrow, then Avent is done.
livewolf
I don't post a lot about baseball. I love the Pack and this new website. I graduated from State in '99. That all being said, it is time for a change. Prepare yourselves.
DJncsu13
Part of me thinks "well, that's baseball". But the truth is ever since State walked out of the DBAP after beating UNC, this team has been spiraling downward. The pitching hasn't been good. Our bullpen guys have to be tired. Our hitting approach has become awful and way to many strikeouts. We have 4 guys hitting over .300. That's good, but a month ago it was the entire starting lineup.

I'm at the point that it's time for Avent to go. If the administration won't give him the facilities, and he can't get over the hump without them, let's move on. That may not be fair to Avent, but the facilities weren't a problem when State was #2 in the country, which tells me there's some coaching issues. Be it technique/style or confidence/attitude, something is wrong. Save one year, Avent has flamed out. The past 3 (and most likely now 4) years have been a kick in the nuts. 20 years, 0 titles. Avent is a Wolfpacker who bleeds red, but at some point, final results have to matter.
Pack31
Let's hire Army's coach . ) seriously, I've been an Avent supporter for years, but man, this is bad. Barring a miracle run, i think Debbie pulls the trigger. If she hopes to lure a name coach, she will need to have some stadium upgrade plans, imo. Disappointed to say the least last night.
gopack1979
Yow has the plans they were done 2 years ago and Avent didn't want them(wanted a new stadium). Really looking forward to a change. I love how much Avent cares about State and I thank him for his service but it's time.
Pack87
I don't think you can fire Avent this year, unless he chooses to retire or move up to an Asst. AD role. If I was a coach, I wouldn't consider the job if you fire someone who just hosted a regional. The bats went unusually cold after being unusually hot. We were short on pitching this year but have some promising freshman. As for the postseason I think the Supers equate to a Sweet 16 and the CWS to a Final Four.
Ripper
Let's see how this plays out. If nothing else, for pride perhaps, we should beat Northeastern and Army. Then it would require the 2 game sweep of Auburn. Avent pulled it off against a good Vandy team in 2012.

Whether it is this year or in the next few years, are there potential quality young coaches that would fit in Raleigh?
Ripper
gopack1979 said:

Yow has the plans they were done 2 years ago and Avent didn't want them(wanted a new stadium). Really looking forward to a change. I love how much Avent cares about State and I thank him for his service but it's time.
Is this true? Yow is Avent's boss. How can Avent block stadium improvements if the Athletic Department plans for it and was going to fund it? What were the plans? Obviously, if major funding is made available, a new stadium would be ideal, since Doak is a bit outdated in comparison to the newer "arms race" stadiums.
Pakbackr
5 runs in the last 3 games. I can hardly imagine a more disappointing end to a season that started with such promise. I haven't felt this bad since Turner and Rodon's final season. Time for a change, if you ask me!
Pack87
Avent is not the one watching strikes. Guys need to battle through there at bats not take two strikes and swing at high fastballs or breaking balls in the basket.
Bigwuf
It seemed to me that, in addition to being listless, the team appeared to lack cohesion. When Patrick tried to throw the runner out at first, when Evan seemed unready or unwilling to go after the errant throw, there did not appear to be a positive exchange about "sorry, my bad" or "let's not do that again," but rather exchanges of impatience. Maybe I was imagining the exchange or putting too much stock into it, but the team went into an inexplicable slide, and I don't think it was just that they were reading the positive coverage of their year and believing it. It was as though they expect Army to roll over because they were the #4 seed and State was #1, and, instead, Army was focused, disciplined and playing together as a team.
BricesCreekWolf
Elliott is the poster child for the status quo. Name another coach in the country that could coach 21+ years without a conference championship and keep a job. State deserves a change.
Pack31
Pack87 said:

I don't think you can fire Avent this year, unless he chooses to retire or move up to an Asst. AD role. If I was a coach, I wouldn't consider the job if you fire someone who just hosted a regional. The bats went unusually cold after being unusually hot. We were short on pitching this year but have some promising freshman. As for the postseason I think the Supers equate to a Sweet 16 and the CWS to a Final Four.

I see this argumemt, but I'm sure there's plenty of coaches who would love to coach a top of the conf ACC team, best baseball conf around, no matter who or why we fired him. This is an excuse for status quo. Flip side is, maybe a coach says hey, they have stadium renovation plans and r committed to winning so much, they fired a dude that wins.....but can't win when it counts. He had 21 years for God sakes
Struttingwolf96
Exactly, letting coaches go who have had a good career happens it other sports as well. Some coaches can never seem to break through & Avent has had 20 years to try & nothing still. Just look at want the Toronto Raptors in the NBA just done, fired the NBA's coach of the year after failing again in the playoffs, for I think the third or fourth straight year. He helped get them there, but couldnt seem to get to gar in the playoffs. Some guys are solid coaches, but cant get to that championship standard & Avent is just that. Seems like a good man & a great representative of State, but that doesn't count win it comes to winning BIG games or a few championships.
Andrew4343
Nice start today! Let's put up a few crooked numbers and get ready for tomorrow!
Struttingwolf96
I don't think our AD will have a problem finding a young coach who wants to come to NC State, whose in the ACC, if not the top then one of the top baseball conferences in the ncaa. Let the new coach help decide what is done with Doak Stadium, not one whose on his way out.
SportManagementEngineer
Better start. Wake these bats up.
Andrew4343
Didn't have a good angle but not sure how Evans ball was foul..no replay sucks...but replay usually sucks too
wilmwolf
How was that foul? Didn't even look close to me.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Rob McLamb
Staff
wolfpack1437 said:

Pack31 said:

It will all be over around 5 tomorrow. Ugh
Especially if IPS does another baseball podcast. This team has crapped bed since the first one and each subsequent one
It is the podcast's fault?
Andrew4343
With the power that we have we could easily get hot and go on a streak
BigLefty24
Rob McLamb said:

wolfpack1437 said:

Pack31 said:

It will all be over around 5 tomorrow. Ugh
Especially if IPS does another baseball podcast. This team has crapped bed since the first one and each subsequent one
It is the podcast's fault?

No more than a hitting slump is Avents fault.
SportManagementEngineer
OK we're back. 6-0 good guys, top 3.
LegacyPack4
Anyone think we should pull Brown and save him for later in the series? Or do we continue to throw him to save arms?
SportManagementEngineer
LegacyPack4 said:

Anyone think we should pull Brown and save him for later in the series? Or do we continue to throw him to save arms?
He's probably too far in already. Let him save the bullpen with (hopefully) 3 more games.
LegacyPack4
So for rest of series (possibly 3 games) we have Piedmonte, Bienleien, Gauthier, Justice, Harrison, Klyman, Clenney, Swinney, and O'Donnell. Gonna have to get a lot of innings out of a couple of those guys for us to make it. Maybe Army can shock the world tonight
Ripper
9-1.
wilmwolf
Also Centala. Cole Hooper has appeared at least once this year. Kinneman has also pitched this year. Staley threw to one batter a few weeks ago, but doesn't seem to be available. If we are to make it out of the losers bracket, I imagine anyone we have that can throw will be called on.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Ripper
1 down, 3 to go.
SportManagementEngineer
Massive for Brown to help save the bullpen. Johnny WholeStaff is about to be our MVP over the next 60 hours.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.