NCAA CWS #RoadtoOmaha Pack9 vs Kentucky Sat 1 PM (L5-4) Mon 1 PM CDT (L5-4)

93,361 Views | 1526 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Glasswolf
Jfberger24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My take, for what it's worth:

1) It is important to look in hindsight to see if there is something to learn. My opinion on learning from today: you start Whitaker for a few reasons a) he has simply been really good the past few weeks, and importantly better than Dom, just look at last weekend. You start your second best guy on Game 2 no matter rotation, it's win or go home. B). Sure Dom has to pitch at some point but you let him pitch after you exhaust your best, experienced options and presumably against the other team's third starter. Survive and advance. C). You can't trot Soles out there in a win or go home situation because he has given all for your program and not do same for Logan.

And yes, really no big time hits outside of A-mak. Got to string some together and we didn't. I'm not as upset about the Dudan/Smith thing. Also, you have to walk the best player in baseball. If the next guy beats you, tip your hat.
Glasswolf
Alex Gee said:

That's a really cool perspective and something I hadn't really thought of.

I told a co-worker this week that the only State sport I get anxious (I guess) watching is baseball because I feel like we truly belong on that national scale. I've shifted my mindset across the board a bit and am treating everything as entertainment, but baseball has lagged behind in that shift.
I'm pretty calm when we are playing FB or MBB. My pulse never got over 60 BPM during our ACC and March Madness run. Same with FB. But baseball I actually understand how the game is played and I can get pretty animated and vocal most games. I even blew off my neighbor when I took my dog outside during a pitching change. May have even told her to just go ****ing walk her dog so mine could piss and I could get back inside to watch the game today.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

wilmwolf
StateFan2001 said:

wilmwolf said:

Alex Gee said:

I haven't forgotten the terrible strike 3 call on Sosa and the "ball was not lodged in the catchers equipment" call.

That was a pretty damn big deal

Two runs right there. Maybe more. Terrible.
ehh it was a borderline call - too close to take there. Are we really whining for a ball stuck in the chest protector call??

A ball is a ball, borderline or not. The pitcher hadn't hit the same spot twice to that point. And yeah, I'm upset when four umps miss a catchers baulk that would've brought in a run. In a one run game, that seems like a big deal. We made other mistakes, and had other opportunities, and I'm not placing the outcome on those two things, but yes ma'am, I'm gonna complain about it.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
BigLefty24
wait, you blew off your neighbor during a pitching change??
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

CLTWolf
BigLefty24 said:

This is quality stuff.
TraCha4
Always a great year when you make it to Omaha. Reload in the offseason.
Civilized
kmb717 said:

To all you clowns who only start watching once the ACC tournament starts, take your Avent criticism elsewhere. Did some decisions not work out? Sure, but that's baseball. You can nit pick 20 moves every game.

We lost because we went 3-21 with RISP and our leadoff hitter went 0 fer. Period.

End thread.

RISP was the Achilles heel in Omaha. Otherwise we got what we needed to win. And Avent doesn't bat so that definitely ain't on him. LOL

So proud of the team and coaches. This team will be defined by battling (both in games and throughout season) and overcoming massive injuries, not just to be a decent team but to still go to f'ing Omaha.

Crazy resilience. So proud. Already excited to see the squad next season.
Glasswolf
BigLefty24 said:

You know what I meant. I was rude to them so I could get back inside.

YouPeople
BigLefty24 said:

Talk about a quick hook....
Wolfpack91
Glasswolf said:

BigLefty24 said:

I doubt you were that rude. There was a game to get back to.
Glasswolf
Wolfpack91 said:

Glasswolf said:

BigLefty24 said:

It was quick and to the point. If my dog sees her dog she gets distracted and it takes her forever to go to the bathroom. It was basically "go walk your ****ing dog so mine can finish her business"

Jtilley
How many people would have signed up for 14IP, 17K's, 5 BB's and 4ER in two games from Sam and Whitaker before game one?

Those two pitched their tails off.
I40Wolf
Jtilley said:

How many people would have signed up for 14IP, 17K's, 5 BB's and 4ER in two games from Sam and Whitaker before game one?

Those two pitched their tails off.
they did
BigLefty24
I didn't open this thread during the game, and I'm not going back and reading 20 pages of it...

My post game thought:

I love Coach Avent and I hope he coaches here til the day he decides he wants to quit.

With that being said, his decision to not bring in Smtih to start the 9th against Kentucky, and his decision to not start Whitaker today costs us both games. I love him to death but let's just get the elephant in the room out of the way.

Game 1: you have two studs to get 6 outs. Dudan gets you through the 8th with the lead, and then you hand the ball over to Smith to get you the last three outs. Huge difference in handing the ball over to a closer to start the inning with a one run lead and clean basepaths, as opposed to a tie game with the winning run on. Those two things aren't remotely comparable. Kentucky gifted you the late lead with a passed ball and you pissed it away by not using your two dude effectively to close the door.

Game 2: there's no way you don't start Whitaker in this game. He's your best starting pitcher, and you're risking elimination with your best starter never taking the mound in the World Series. It's an elimination game..you WIN THE GAME YOU'RE PLAYING. Hand Whitaker the ball, let him do his thing, and then worry about game three when it gets here.

Love Avent. But his pitching rotation/decisions leave a lot to be desired.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

Glasswolf

Glasswolf

Glasswolf

WEAVS
My thoughts are basically the same. Only thing I can think of is sometimes in those moments you can over-think yourself, and when you're mindset is stuck there it's hard to see outside the box (much easier for us on the outside)
Oldsouljer
TraCha4 said:

I feel a bit sad for the seniors. I feel a bit concerned about Avent and how much longer he'll be in the game. Aside from that, a salute to the team for a very good season.
Jtilley
We are on here questioning Avent but Kentucky out here bunting with two outs and guy on third.
nakinawolf
M_A said:

It is what it is. 8 really good, evenly matched teams. Best players gotta deliver and you gotta put the best players in the spot to deliver. We beat Georgia because Condon didnt. We lost to UK because of that Canadian 2B and to Florida because they got Jac up with 2 runners on and he hit a HR.

AMak hit a bomb in each game but the rest of the team didnt do enough. Some pitching decisions mightve made a difference. Mightve not. It is what it is

This is the correct take away.
AnaeAnae
Civilized said:

kmb717 said:

To all you clowns who only start watching once the ACC tournament starts, take your Avent criticism elsewhere. Did some decisions not work out? Sure, but that's baseball. You can nit pick 20 moves every game.

We lost because we went 3-21 with RISP and our leadoff hitter went 0 fer. Period.

End thread.

RISP was the Achilles heel in Omaha. Otherwise we got what we needed to win. And Avent doesn't bat so that definitely ain't on him. LOL

So proud of the team and coaches. This team will be defined by battling (both in games and throughout season) and overcoming massive injuries, not just to be a decent team but to still go to f'ing Omaha.

Crazy resilience. So proud. Already excited to see the squad next season.
Yep, and for anyone who actually knows baseball, hitting with RISP is basically luck/randomness

Considering what some of the other programs in the CWS spend on baseball relative to us, Avent is a miracle worker
Glasswolf

Glasswolf
Oldsouljer said:

TraCha4 said:

I feel a bit sad for the seniors. I feel a bit concerned about Avent and how much longer he'll be in the game. Aside from that, a salute to the team for a very good season.
EA could hang the cleats up tomorrow. Entirely possible. He could coach 3-4 more years although I doubt he would go that long. I do know he will be allowed to go out on his own terms.

Glasswolf
StateFan2001
BigLefty24 said:

I didn't open this thread during the game, and I'm not going back and reading 20 pages of it...

My post game thought:

I love Coach Avent and I hope he coaches here til the day he decides he wants to quit.

With that being said, his decision to not bring in Smtih to start the 9th against Kentucky, and his decision to not start Whitaker today costs us both games. I love him to death but let's just get the elephant in the room out of the way.

Game 1: you have two studs to get 6 outs. Dudan gets you through the 8th with the lead, and then you hand the ball over to Smith to get you the last three outs. Huge difference in handing the ball over to a closer to start the inning with a one run lead and clean basepaths, as opposed to a tie game with the winning run on. Those two things aren't remotely comparable. Kentucky gifted you the late lead with a passed ball and you pissed it away by not using your two dude effectively to close the door.

Game 2: there's no way you don't start Whitaker in this game. He's your best starting pitcher, and you're risking elimination with your best starter never taking the mound in the World Series. It's an elimination game..you WIN THE GAME YOU'RE PLAYING. Hand Whitaker the ball, let him do his thing, and then worry about game three when it gets here.

Love Avent. But his pitching rotation/decisions leave a lot to be desired.

Yep. We could be sitting in a vey different position but for a few decisions. Oh well …

Glasswolf
Glasswolf
Wilson
Close, but no cigar.
A recurring theme.
CLTWolf
Wilson said:

Close, but no cigar.
A recurring theme.
Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. Or something like that.

GeeBee
Wilson said:

Close, but no cigar.
A recurring theme.
Perhaps, but isn't that part of the process to climb the mountain? You don't become the ultimate champion by being bad then suddenly good. It's the process and multiple failures before finally getting to the top is the norm not the exception. Frustrating but I would rather be frustrated by not winning a natty and being at the dance than not being relevant at all. Go Pack!
AnaeAnae
Wilson said:

Close, but no cigar.
A recurring theme.
Complaining about making the CWS is absolutely wild
Wolfpack91
Glasswolf said:

Wolfpack91 said:

Glasswolf said:

BigLefty24 said:

It was quick and to the point. If my dog sees her dog she gets distracted and it takes her forever to go to the bathroom. It was basically "go walk your ****ing dog so mine can finish her business"

Neighbor must not be a transplant from NY or NJ, otherwise you would have gotten a Go **** Yourself response in return,
Glasswolf
Glasswolf

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.