NCAA CWS #RoadtoOmaha Pack9 vs Kentucky Sat 1 PM (L5-4) Mon 1 PM CDT (L5-4)

108,176 Views | 1527 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by Glasswolf
Nairo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Only Pitt, Duke and BC have worse facilities than ours, all small northeastern private schools (PA, NJ and MA).

This has gone on for too long. We need to move into the 21st century
Jtilley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alex Gee said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

I know we are an ACC team and that carries weight, but the fact that Avent has taken 2 teams to Omaha in 4 seasons and, in my opinion, would have 3 out 5 is unreal given our facility situation. We are an NCAA decision away from what I think would've been a National Championship and 2 swings away from god knows where this year.
Yep, hard to complain about 2 trips in 4 years. Hats off for that.
I will say that facilities (while they need to be upgraded and part of that is on the program owner) are really not as big a deal as some might think. Most 9th/10 graders (which until just this past year's rule change were who ACC programs largely were recruiting) are not terribly concerned about facilities. It was more about working hard and finding the right 9th graders to offer.


It matters when the margin is now on the National Championship level.
Yea Chase Burns aint picking Wake without the success they've had with the lab (With as much crap as we give them about it).
StateFan2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyway, 2 tough 1-run losses. A number of factors contributed, including not hitting with RISP.


GeeBee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nairo said:

Only Pitt, Duke and BC have worse facilities than ours, all small northeastern private schools (PA, NJ and MA).

This has gone on for too long. We need to move into the 21st century


The landscape has changed. NIL resources are far more important than facilities. Finish our current upgrade plan and drive for collective donations. It's the best way to deliver wins and to stay competitive.
StateFan2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jtilley said:

Alex Gee said:

StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

I know we are an ACC team and that carries weight, but the fact that Avent has taken 2 teams to Omaha in 4 seasons and, in my opinion, would have 3 out 5 is unreal given our facility situation. We are an NCAA decision away from what I think would've been a National Championship and 2 swings away from god knows where this year.
Yep, hard to complain about 2 trips in 4 years. Hats off for that.
I will say that facilities (while they need to be upgraded and part of that is on the program owner) are really not as big a deal as some might think. Most 9th/10 graders (which until just this past year's rule change were who ACC programs largely were recruiting) are not terribly concerned about facilities. It was more about working hard and finding the right 9th graders to offer.


It matters when the margin is now on the National Championship level.
Yea Chase Burns aint picking Wake without the success they've had with the lab (With as much crap as we give them about it).
It is going to matter now with the transfer portal era no doubt.
CLTWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shoulda started Logan but Dom has to pitch either way.

What a fun fun ride this season has been.

As a reminder the season starts in February, FYI.

Now it's time for Hart and BoRob to get to work! As long as Hart is here we'll get dudes.

Go Pack!


And what a shtty day for a utility crew to cut a neighborhood fiber line and me lose interwebs. Ugh.
Nairo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The players may not care about the stadium and amenities, but the paying fan base does and the best way to capitalize on the growing interest in this great sport is to invest in the entertainment value and get more asses in the seats. That in turn creates more gate and concession receipts that can service debt and/or invest in the program in myriad ways
pblanks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alex Gee said:

pblanks said:

Alex Gee said:

pblanks said:

DecaturWolf said:

The story so far for us in this CWS is leaving RISP stranded.


Respectfully disagree. Smith in the 9th and not starting Whit is how I will remember this trip to Omaha. More runs would be nice but we've scored enough to win both games.


So far we've scored 2 to few to win both games


We get it. Can't criticize the coach so just say more runs! Hit better!

How about throw your pitchers that give you the best chance to win?



And I think that's just wrong. We pitched 4 dudes that have been good for us all year. Dom had a quick hook and Whit was excellent. We don't know what would've happened if he started or Smith threw the 9th on Saturday. Captain hindsight can win every argument so not worth having it.


It's not the results, it's the process. Maybe smith gets hit harder than dudan. And maybe Whit gives up 8 before turning in one of his best 7 inning of his career. But pitch your best dudes, not really good dudes. There's a difference.

We can agree to disgaree. It's fine.
Mahaya
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bottom line is that was a heck of a season by a team that had a lot of hurdles to get over. Stinks they couldn't make a run in Omaha but baseball is a tricky game.
ClePack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nairo said:

Only Pitt, Duke and BC have worse facilities than ours, all small northeastern private schools (PA, NJ and MA).

This has gone on for too long. We need to move into the 21st century
crazy part is duke has 2 ACC titles the last 4 years. They are very good in the portal even with bad facilities
DrummerboyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Logan Whittaker was a man today. He performed magnificently in his last N. C. State game. Well done young man!! Very proud of your work effort to get back from injuries and illness and help your team get to the CWS.

We had our chances but couldn't get the big hit when we needed it. Execution was not great but we still were in the game.

Can't give up an out and not get the bunt down. Can't take when you have a pitch close with 2 strikes. Just can't do it. Can't expand the strike zone when they are struggling to throw strikes. Can't walk the 7,8, or 9 batters. We just did not play fundamentally sound today and you can't win like that.

Thanks to the seniors. Great catch by Noah Soles, another guy who has battled injuries for 5 years including a tender hamstring and he was giving it all.

Good season but a lot of what if's these last two games.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
StateFan2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nairo said:

The players may not care about the stadium and amenities, but the paying fan base does and the best way to capitalize on the growing interest in this great sport is to invest in the entertainment value and get more asses in the seats. That in turn creates more gate and concession receipts that can service debt and/or invest in the program in myriad ways
totally agree
M_A
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're already pot committed to the upgrades planned, we're not steamrolling the Dail and building a replica of DBAP or anything like that. Where we're situated as a school we're not going to turn baseball into a revenue sport after spending a fortune on facilities. Save that talk for if we get into the SEC
Alex Gee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Nairo said:

The players may not care about the stadium and amenities, but the paying fan base does and the best way to capitalize on the growing interest in this great sport is to invest in the entertainment value and get more asses in the seats. That in turn creates more gate and concession receipts that can service debt and/or invest in the program in myriad ways


Preach it brother. I think TE said it above, we should at least be on the level of the Greensboro Grasshopper's in terms of stadium and entertainment value.

The facility step is great and I'm stoked it's going to happen. NIL is important, but college baseball is still a bit more old school in that most guys aren't chasing a check, rather opportunity and development.
Nairo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The stadium at Mississippi State seats more than the entire population of Starkville (which itself is in the middle of nowhere). And yet we still have a 2500 seat stadium in a MSA of 2.2 million.
StateFan2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DrummerboyWolf said:

Logan Whittaker was a man today. He performed magnificently in his last N. C. State game. Well done young man!! Very proud of your work effort to get back from injuries and illness and help your team get to the CWS.

We had our chances but couldn't get the big hit when we needed it. Execution was not great but we still were in the game.

Can't give up an out and not get the bunt down. Can't take when you have a pitch close with 2 strikes. Just can't do it. Can't expand the strike zone when they are struggling to thrown strikes. Can't walk the 7,8, or 9 batters. We just did not play fundamentally sound today and you can't win like that.

Thanks to the seniors. Great catch by Noah Soles, another guy who has battled injuries for 5 years including a tender hamstring and he was giving it all.

Good season but a lot of what if's these last two games.
Yeah. It shouldn't be lost in the result. Whitaker was a freakin dude out there today!! The stuff that guy has right now with the 93-94 fb and that change up - he should be hearing his name called in a few weeks.
Nairo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do we getting a zoom or what?
pblanks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Program deserves better facilities. They've earned it.
DrummerboyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
livewolf said:

Why did Chase wait??
The pitch hit him, but since he swung it's still a strikeout. He was thinking the umpire was going to call the HBP but again if you swing and the ball hits you, it's still a strike.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
ChemE94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nairo said:

The players may not care about the stadium and amenities, but the paying fan base does and the best way to capitalize on the growing interest in this great sport is to invest in the entertainment value and get more asses in the seats. That in turn creates more gate and concession receipts that can service debt and/or invest in the program in myriad ways
Curious - for all the hand-wringing, did you give to the baseball reno fund when they were drumming up support?
Nairo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, in the initial round.

ChemE94 said:

Nairo said:

The players may not care about the stadium and amenities, but the paying fan base does and the best way to capitalize on the growing interest in this great sport is to invest in the entertainment value and get more asses in the seats. That in turn creates more gate and concession receipts that can service debt and/or invest in the program in myriad ways
Curious - for all the hand-wringing, did you give to the baseball reno fund when they were drumming up support?
BP Cox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Whittaker should have started in hindsight obviously. Just disappointed with the number of ducks left on the pond and stretching some pitchers too long.

If I'm betting I'd say EA retires.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
Glasswolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whit, Sam and AMak are really emotional in the post game.

Sam Highfill: Your career can end anywhere. For it to end here is special.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Alex Gee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I haven't forgotten the terrible strike 3 call on Sosa and the "ball was not lodged in the catchers equipment" call.

That was a pretty damn big deal
StateFan2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Glasswolf said:

Whit, Sam and AMak are really emotional in the post game.

Sam Highfill: Your career can end anywhere. For it to end here is special.
I know it will be tough for Sam to get a look (that dude pitched his ass off for us this year again), but man I would be really disappointed if AMak and Whit don't get a look.
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alex Gee said:

I haven't forgotten the terrible strike 3 call on Sosa and the "ball was not lodged in the catchers equipment" call.

That was a pretty damn big deal


Two runs right there. Maybe more. Terrible.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
StateFan2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf said:

Alex Gee said:

I haven't forgotten the terrible strike 3 call on Sosa and the "ball was not lodged in the catchers equipment" call.

That was a pretty damn big deal


Two runs right there. Maybe more. Terrible.
ehh it was a borderline call - too close to take there. Are we really whining for a ball stuck in the chest protector call??
YouPeople
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great season. Keep getting dudes.
broccolipack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As a causal baseball fan, it's really nice that this CWS appearance didn't feel like a huge deal like previous ones. Goes to show how strong the program is overall. Looking forward to more non-surprising berths and taking the next step.
BS - 2018
MS - 2020
PhD - 2023
Colonel Armstrong
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Excellent season for the team. Really tough to go 0-2 but the margins are so thin in these CWS games, we could very easily be 2-0.

But great season and what an overall year for our athletics programs
M_A
How long do you want to ignore this user?
StateFan2001 said:

Glasswolf said:

Whit, Sam and AMak are really emotional in the post game.

Sam Highfill: Your career can end anywhere. For it to end here is special.
I know it will be tough for Sam to get a look (that dude pitched his ass off for us this year again), but man I would be really disappointed if AMak and Whit don't get a look.
I know AMak is 23 but I think he is a legit mid-round option for teams with the jump in production this year. It doesnt look gimmicky, he actually hits the ball ****ing hard and as a switch-hitting legitimate 3B (he wont be a great defender as a pro but he can stick at the position) that is something to work with. Stick him in High-A to finish the season and he could be in AA next season at age 24 which wouldnt even be very far behind the normal track and set up a MLB team to have him under team control during his prime

edit: the other piece of this is he'll come cheap for a team who needs to save money to go overslot on a higher pick as he doesnt have any options other than to sign or go do something else
Glasswolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
broccolipack said:

As a causal baseball fan, it's really nice that this CWS appearance didn't feel like a huge deal like previous ones. Goes to show how strong the program is overall. Looking forward to more non-surprising berths and taking the next step.
We have proven over the last several years that we belong and are a serious contender year after year.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Glasswolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alex Gee said:

I haven't forgotten the terrible strike 3 call on Sosa and the "ball was not lodged in the catchers equipment" call.

That was a pretty damn big deal
That no call on the balk by the catcher cost us a run. Brutal call, but again as in all sports you can't leave it in the officials hands.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Pack31
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nairo said:

The players may not care about the stadium and amenities, but the paying fan base does and the best way to capitalize on the growing interest in this great sport is to invest in the entertainment value and get more asses in the seats. That in turn creates more gate and concession receipts that can service debt and/or invest in the program in myriad ways


Brother we can't get over 500 fb NIL members. How you gonna get them to donate to a non revenue sport? Ask the same 500 to pony up? At some point, the other 100,000+ alum that have attended games yr to yr need to step up...even if it's 10 damn dollars a month. It matters.
Alex Gee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
That's a really cool perspective and something I hadn't really thought of.

I told a co-worker this week that the only State sport I get anxious (I guess) watching is baseball because I feel like we truly belong on that national scale. I've shifted my mindset across the board a bit and am treating everything as entertainment, but baseball has lagged behind in that shift.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.