NCAA CWS #RoadtoOmaha Pack9 vs Kentucky Sat 1 PM (L5-4) Mon 1 PM CDT (L5-4)

93,258 Views | 1526 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Glasswolf
PKAwolfpacker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm mad and sad but even a month ago I didn't think we could get to Omaha. Proud of the team. Can we please upgrade the facilities and get this program some NIL $$$
M_A
It is what it is. 8 really good, evenly matched teams. Best players gotta deliver and you gotta put the best players in the spot to deliver. We beat Georgia because Condon didnt. We lost to UK because of that Canadian 2B and to Florida because they got Jac up with 2 runners on and he hit a HR.

AMak hit a bomb in each game but the rest of the team didnt do enough. Some pitching decisions mightve made a difference. Mightve not. It is what it is
Coach15
Heck of an effort and outing by Whitaker to keep us in that one. Left too many guys on base, popped up a bunt, and missed a pitch to the best hitter in college baseball.
Alex Gee
Staff
pblanks said:

Alex Gee said:

pblanks said:

DecaturWolf said:

The story so far for us in this CWS is leaving RISP stranded.

Respectfully disagree. Smith in the 9th and not starting Whit is how I will remember this trip to Omaha. More runs would be nice but we've scored enough to win both games.

So far we've scored 2 to few to win both games

We get it. Can't criticize the coach so just say more runs! Hit better!

How about throw your pitchers that give you the best chance to win?

And I think that's just wrong. We pitched 4 dudes that have been good for us all year. Dom had a quick hook and Whit was excellent. We don't know what would've happened if he started or Smith threw the 9th on Saturday. Captain hindsight can win every argument so not worth having it.
Cribb
Alex Gee said:

What a great freaking season, man.

That wraps up year 4 in a row where I've been able to watch every pitch. This was the most fun team from start to finish to follow given their resilience and grit. Hope more of you will join us next year.
This. Sucks we lost but was a fun season .

Side note-Hope college baseball starts to get some more publicity. Great sport to follow
ClePack
Now we need to reload. Losing our very best hitters. Gonna be tough to replace them. Can't lose this momentum
M_A
Avent is not going anywhere until he retires guys. Just gotta hope he can put one more roster together to get back here before he hangs em up

We have some young pitching that should be back. Gotta replace AMak, Pennington and Cozart which will be a heavy lift. I assume Serrano and Butterworth return which is a nice start defensively so just gotta find some big bats
Statenate
We have to find some hitters in the offseason. Our 3 best hitters will be gone and there is a huge drop-off after them.
StateFan2001
Mr. O said:

So I guess we should have started Whitaker. Strange decision by Avent. Nonetheless, great year for Avent and all of the players. Congratulations!
I agree it was a strange decision on 2 fronts - first the way each has been throwing the ball of late and secondly if I am going down it is with a guy like Whitaker who has been in this program for 5-6 years over a sophomore Fritton.
Pack31
Positive is... this run got us 1 month closer to the start of FB and the start of next Baseball season
Jtilley
M_A said:

Avent is not going anywhere until he retires guys. Just gotta hope he can put one more roster together to get back here before he hangs em up

We have some young pitching that should be back. Gotta replace AMak, Pennington and Cozart which will be a heavy lift. I assume Serrano and Butterworth return which is a nice start defensively so just gotta find some big bats
Serrano and Butterworth both draft eligible. I wouldn't bank on either returning.
CoachCase
Two one run losses with a bunch of "what ifs"! Crap happens. Proud of team. Nothing to be ashamed of. Hopefully, we will have productive off season and come back stronger next season!
Nairo
We could routinely fill up a 5-6,000 seat stadium especially with a fun and affordable party deck

PKAwolfpacker said:

I'm mad and sad but even a month ago I didn't think we could get to Omaha. Proud of the team. Can we please upgrade the facilities and get this program some NIL $$$
Pack31
M_A said:

Gotta hope Hart puts one together for Avent you mean. Hart does all the recruiting now.
WilmingtonPackman777
Great season pack - hate I couldn't catch the game.
Slobbering_Wolf
Nairo said:

Please stop with this.

PackWatch said:

thanks fritton

Yeah this ain't it, he was put out there by his coaches.....should have always been Whit to start this game, not on Fritton.....it's on Avent and Chrysler
rmcwpups
Avent was not the problem. It's easy to coach from the stands after the play.

Our problem is almost every time we got something started, we followed up with a K.
M_A
Jtilley said:

M_A said:

Serrano and Butterworth both draft eligible. I wouldn't bank on either returning.

IMO Serrano is a bit of a risk but if he comes back and has a big year next season he could go high in the draft

Butterworth I could see either way
Wolfpack91
Great year for NC State making our 4th NCAA College World Series.

Avent will be back and reload for next season.
Alex Gee
Staff
I know we are an ACC team and that carries weight, but the fact that Avent has taken 2 teams to Omaha in 4 seasons and, in my opinion, would have 3 out 5 is unreal given our facility situation. We are an NCAA decision away from what I think would've been a National Championship and 2 swings away from god knows where this year.
StateFan2001
Acb0110 said:

Will never understand pinch hitting a guy who is cold as ice.
No problem pinch hitting the lefty for righty there. Chase had one of the more competitive ABs of anyone against the dude. Unfortunately, once that guy came in it was all she wrote.
Glasswolf
PackWatch said:

thanks fritton

How many at bats did Fritton have today and Saturday?
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

ClePack
Alex Gee said:

I know we are an ACC team and that carries weight, but the fact that Avent has taken 2 teams to Omaha in 4 seasons and, in my opinion, would have 3 out 5 is unreal given our facility situation. We are an NCAA decision away from what I think would've been a National Championship and 2 swings away from god knows where this year.
yes, we are closer than we appear. let's hope the portal is kind to us
GeeBee
This could be a good spot for Elliott to turn this program over to Chris Hart. He can't keep turning down opportunities like he has no matter how much he and his wife loves Raleigh. If he doesn't I'm good with that but Hart will either be our HC or someone else's in the next few years I would bet.
Jtilley
7,8,9 and Serrano went a combined 0-12 today with two walks. That will do it in a one run ball game.
M_A
Alex Gee said:

The SEC teams have the cachet and the $$$ so they will always get the best transfers but we're in a nice spot to get the best of the rest by offering PT in the second best league. Location and culture works well for us too with baseball guys IMO

The school as a whole has punched well above its wallet on the transfer market and I think there is reason to believe that can continue to some degree. Not that we'll haul in AMak/Pennington/Butterworth every offseason but we should be able to get a few guys like that every few years - just gotta hope they line up at the time right time to get back
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

Yep, hard to complain about 2 trips in 4 years. Hats off for that.
I will say that facilities (while they need to be upgraded and part of that is on the program owner) are really not as big a deal as some might think. Most 9th/10 graders (which until just this past year's rule change were who ACC programs largely were recruiting) are not terribly concerned about facilities. It was more about working hard and finding the right 9th graders to offer.
Alex Gee
Staff
Glasswolf said:

PackWatch said:

thanks fritton

Right. This ain't that hard IMO. We didn't have enough big swings in big spots.

Dom was going to have to pitch. He had a super quick hook and we battled the rest of the way. If we had won, nothing would've changed going forward except Consiglio would've had a start. Folks would've just been mad about Fritton starting tomorrow instead.
kmb717
To all you clowns who only start watching once the ACC tournament starts, take your Avent criticism elsewhere. Did some decisions not work out? Sure, but that's baseball. You can nit pick 20 moves every game.

We lost because we went 3-21 with RISP and our leadoff hitter went 0 fer. Period.
StateFan2001
Alex Gee said:

Glasswolf said:

PackWatch said:

thanks fritton

Dom was going to have to pitch. He had a super quick hook and we battled the rest of the way. If we had won, nothing would've changed going forward except Consiglio would've had a start. Folks would've just been mad about Fritton starting tomorrow instead.
Super quick hook? He gave up 4 runs. That is tough to come back from in Omaha.
Alex Gee
Staff
StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Glasswolf said:

PackWatch said:

thanks fritton

Super quick hook? He gave up 4 runs. That is tough to come back from in Omaha.

Bro they pulled him after 6 outs and put in tomorrow's assumed starter. I'd say that's pretty damn quick lol
ThomasEvans
Agree with the money going into the Doak needs to attract students and anyone else to hang out and drink alcohol and watch baseball. Gotta approach it like minor league baseball. Create it as a social place to be.

Even better take all that money and give a lot to NIL
Alex Gee
Staff
StateFan2001 said:

Alex Gee said:

Yep, hard to complain about 2 trips in 4 years. Hats off for that.
I will say that facilities (while they need to be upgraded and part of that is on the program owner) are really not as big a deal as some might think. Most 9th/10 graders (which until just this past year's rule change were who ACC programs largely were recruiting) are not terribly concerned about facilities. It was more about working hard and finding the right 9th graders to offer.

It matters when the margin is now on the National Championship level.
Whitetailpack
kmb717 said:

To all you clowns who only start watching once the ACC tournament starts, take your Avent criticism elsewhere. Did some decisions not work out? Sure, but that's baseball. You can nit pick 20 moves every game.

We lost because we went 3-21 with RISP and our leadoff hitter went 0 fer. Period.

Yep, Avents decisions didn't cost state. Not hitting the baseball did. 3-21 is putrid.
M_A
We dont have a lineup 1-9 of future professionals, youre going to have to win close games and part of that is making the right calls, executing and getting lucky. Kentucky has two guys who are any good and beat us. Florida had like 1?

We didnt make all the right calls, get lucky or execute with the bats. Sometimes you get beat by a better team. Sometimes you get beat by one Zach Edey monster. As the Gott man would say, "They gotta guard us too, pal." Well, they did

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.