#Pack9 (18-12, 8-7) @ Clemson 4/12-14, (11-8W) (4-0W) (7-0L)

18,007 Views | 289 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by tau06
PossumJenkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SVD looked fantastic. Like nixon at lead off and hogue shined in the 3 spot. Serrano with a break out game…hopefully the jumpstart he needs. Smith looked great to close it out. Lot of positives tonight
PossumJenkins
Borowolf10 said:

PossumJenkins said:

I don't understand the misery some of you people live in

One of my favorite things on this board is when we win after a string of losses and posters chime in with "seeee!!!??? It's fine. I knew it was fine the whole time."

Clearly you struggle to read. Nothing in that statement says that at all. The statement is in reference to the people here who it feels like literally want the Wolfpack to lose so they can be justified and feel founded in their beliefs. Never did i say it was all fine. I literally just made a post while you were feeling yourself about the changes that seemed positive tonight. Cause we needed em. But hey…if going through it hoping the pack loses so you can say…see i was right. We suck. Makes you feel better. Feel free
Bcwhitl2
Have they lost some trust in Dudan or just riding the hot hand with Smith? In the end doesn't matter as long as someone steps up, Dudan just has electric stuff but has had some rough outings in ACC play
Alex Gee
Staff
Bcwhitl2 said:

Have they lost some trust in Dudan or just riding the hot hand with Smith? In the end doesn't matter as long as someone steps up, Dudan just has electric stuff but has had some rough outings in ACC play

To me, going with Smith up 3 feels like a "try to win the series" move. Obviously he's been awesome and his stuff plays, but keeping Dudan available if the bats can play their part gives you a shot at a huge series win
WolfQuacker
Magnificent win for the Pack!

It's getting tiresome back-and-forth and gloating about whether or not the team is good or bad. I'm not even one of the naysayers, but it seems like some of you get more pleasure out of that than actual win.
Bcwhitl2
Alex Gee said:

Bcwhitl2 said:

To me, going with Smith up 3 feels like a "try to win the series" move. Obviously he's been awesome and his stuff plays, but keeping Dudan available if the bats can play their part gives you a shot at a huge series win

Makes sense, let's go win a series!
Wolfer79
The NC State baseball team opened its series at Doug Kingsmore Stadium with an 11-8 victory over No. 2 Clemson.

NC State (19-12, 9-7 ACC) snapped a five-game losing streak with its first win over a top-five opponent since May 25, 2022, when the Wolfpack defeated No. 5 Miami 9-6 in the ACC Tournament. The Wolfpack has won six of its past seven games over Clemson (28-5, 10-3 ACC) at the Tigers' home ballpark.

Josh Hogue set the tone with a first-inning homer, giving the Wolfpack an early 1-0 lead. Hogue belted his third homer of the season beyond the outfield seats in right-center to plate the first of 10 runs scored with two outs in the Wolfpack's win over the second-ranked Tigers.

Clemson answered Hogue's solo shot when left fielder Will Taylor smacked a two-run homer in the bottom of the first. Taylor's two-run shot pushed the Tigers ahead for the first time Friday night at 2-1.

The Wolfpack jumped back in front behind a four-run fourth to establish a three-run cushion at 5-2. Jacob Cozart's RBI groundout tied the score at 2-2, putting two outs in the frame and advancing Hogue to third base. Brandon Butterworth kept the rally alive with a four-pitch walk before Eli Serrano III doubled off the base of the wall in right-center to plate two runs, giving the Pack a 4-2 advantage. Drew Lanphere capped off the four-run frame with an RBI single to center field to score Serrano III from second base.

Clemson first baseman Jimmy Obertop sliced the Tigers' deficit to one with Clemson's second two-run homer of the night. Obertop's two-run homer cut the Pack's lead to 5-4 in the bottom of the fourth before Taylor's two-RBI single vaulted the Tigers back in front at 6-5.

NC State capitalized on a throwing error from Wright to post its second straight four-run frame in the top of the fifth, flipping a 6-5 deficit into a 9-6 lead. Wright's errant throw allowed Hogue and Alec Makarewicz to score before Serrano III singled up the middle for his second two-out, two-RBI base hit in as many innings to make it 9-6 Wolfpack.

Wright homered on the first pitch of the bottom of the fifth to make it 9-7. Nolan Nawrocki's RBI groundout then trimmed the Wolfpack's lead to 9-8. Wolfpack reliever Shane Van Dam ended the Clemson threat in the inning with his third strikeout of the night.

Van Dam struck out a career-high eight batters in relief of Wolfpack starting pitcher Sam Highfill, posting three straight scoreless frames from the sixth through the eighth to keep NC State ahead. Van Dam struck out all three batters in the sixth to maintain the Pack's one-run lead before retiring the Tigers in order in the seventh. He then tallied his eighth and final strikeout of the night to end the eighth inning.

The Wolfpack added to its lead in the eighth when Makarewicz dropped in a two-out RBI single into shallow left field. Makarewicz's 46th RBI of the season made it 10-8 Wolfpack. Luke Nixon again did damage for the Wolfpack with two outs in the ninth, lining an RBI single to give NC State an 11-8 lead heading to the bottom of the ninth.

After the first two Clemson batters reached in the bottom of the ninth, right-hander Derrick Smith entered for the Wolfpack and retired three straight Tigers to secure the win for NC State. Matt Heavner, who also entered the game in the ninth, snared the final ground ball and tapped second base for the final out of Friday's game.

Van Dam improved to 4-0 on the season after tossing 4.2 innings, allowing just one earned run with eight strikeouts. Smith posted his second save after recording the final three outs.

Clemson reliever Rocco Reid (2-1) suffered the loss for Clemson on Friday night.

Serrano III, Makarewicz and Hogue each tallied multi-hit performances, while Hogue paced the team with three runs scored.

UP NEXT
NC State and Clemson face off on national television Saturday night at Doug Kingsmore Stadium. Game two of this weekend's series is set for 8 p.m. and will be televised on ACC Network.

https://gopack.com/news/2024/4/12/baseball-wolfpack-takes-down-2-clemson-11-8-on-friday
Wolfer79
North Carolina State at Clemson ACC Network, 8 p.m.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Borowolf10 said:

PossumJenkins said:

One of my favorite things on this board is when we win after a string of losses and posters chime in with "seeee!!!??? It's fine. I knew it was fine the whole time."
Hello Friend

It is a Tradition Like No Other
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
wilmwolf
WolfQuacker said:

Magnificent win for the Pack!

It's getting tiresome back-and-forth and gloating about whether or not the team is good or bad. I'm not even one of the naysayers, but it seems like some of you get more pleasure out of that than actual win.

I personally get zero satisfaction when people who purport to be fans of a school continually make declarative statements deriding their team without letting the season play out. It makes me sad that they have been shown a lesson multiple times just this year and still have not learned it, because I like to think of State fans as intelligent people. Winning a game against a top 5 team and conference rival on the other hand does make me very happy.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
tau06
Borowolf10 said:

PossumJenkins said:

Meh, sometimes you chicken littles need to be smacked over the head and brought back to reality.
Wolfer79
tau06 said:

Borowolf10 said:

PossumJenkins said:

Meh, sometimes you chicken littles need to be smacked over the head and brought back to reality.

FACT
OPINION
RUMOR

better reality check

smacked in head

or

kicked in man parts?
stategrad06
Fellas Derrick Smith has stuff - and up to this point he hasn't walked people. Yeah he's been hit around some early in the year, but if he locates he's a dominant arm out of the pen. Gotta keep it going. If you get Dudan and Smith pounding the zone and locating - the back end goes from average to elite in a hurry.

Also it should be said - you can't measure command in just walks. Locating is important against elite offenses.

And also SVD was incredible last night.
Slobbering_Wolf
Agree with what everyone has said with SVD.....in my opinion, the rotation should be Highfill, Whitaker, and SVD....need to move Britton to the pen
PossumJenkins
Any info on Whitaker being in the boot?
desiwolf
PossumJenkins said:

Any info on Whitaker being in the boot?
Dom starting today. So doesn't look like Whit is playing this weekend.
Wolfer79
Alex Gee
Staff
I hope this works out obviously, but don't love changing the lineup from yesterday. They know better than me..
Alex Gee
Staff
I'll take as much defensive nonsense as Clemson wants to do
PossumJenkins
I admittedly don't watch a lot of softball…but i feel like anytime it's on while I'm waiting for the next game. They always run long.
Alex Gee
Staff
PossumJenkins said:

I admittedly don't watch a lot of softball…but i feel like anytime it's on while I'm waiting for the next game. They always run long.

If softball or women's LAX is on before the Wolfpack, it is guaranteed to run long
Daviewolf83
Alex Gee said:

PossumJenkins said:

If softball or women's LAX is on before the Wolfpack, it is guaranteed to run long
Seems like it happens every time. Simply amazing.
wilmwolf
Alex Gee said:

I hope this works out obviously, but don't love changing the lineup from yesterday. They know better than me..

Lefties putting the bat on the ball against their guy so far, maybe there was something in the scout. The good thing is we scored, if you're going to stack the righties at the top, they've got to produce.
Alex Gee
Staff
Let's get an All-American Fritton game. Why not?
Alex Gee
Staff
Soles had surgery on his ankle per Andrew Sanders. That is a tough loss. Need him to at least be able to DH with Sosa struggling the way he is.
wilmwolf
I know evening likes to complain about Adidas, but I think the Nike baseball uniforms look like **** and have for a while.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.