NCAA Regionals

34,201 Views | 328 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by nryanh94
DJncsu13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf80 said:

TraCha4 said:

I guess the ECU thing is really just about who you know. My wife has 2 degrees from ECU and a couple other family members that went there. They all like State and hate UNC.
Must be, because every ECU grad in my life has a UNC basketball jersey hanging in their closet that they put on come basketball season. And every one of them loves to take shots at State any time anything goes wrong. It's not that they are all bad people or anything, just obnoxious.
This exactly. The ECU people I know are really good people actually. They're just obnoxious about their hatred for all things State.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
Borowolf10
Seems there are quite a few posters here that have ECU people say nice things to their face and then bad mouth State behind their back and on the Internet.

ECU is one of the few schools where the various negative stereotypes are legitimate across a majority of the fanbase.
BigLefty24
Cthepack said:

Cthepack said:

Roger Williams (aka money box) played for UNC.

Sorry it may be a different Roger Williams. The one I am referencing played at Rose then at UNC. He may currently be the current UNC pitching coach.
yep. Roger played at UNC. Set a few pitching records while he was there. His dad was the head coach at ECU for a few years.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

TheStorm
BigLefty24 said:

Cthepack said:

Cthepack said:

Sorry it may be a different Roger Williams. The one I am referencing played at Rose then at UNC. He may currently be the current UNC pitching coach.
yep. Roger played at UNC. Set a few pitching records while he was there. His dad was the head coach at ECU for a few years.
Played at UNC during the Scott Bankhead, Walt Weiss timeframe didn't he?
BobbyCox95
ecu can say whatever they want but they still have little brother syndrome. I know unc tries to say the same about us but its really apples to oranges. They are decent at football and good at baseball but they can't regularly compete with State or any other ACC team in any other sport. It comes from decades of wanting to be in a big boy conference and they will likely never get the chance.
CLTWolf
TheStorm said:

BigLefty24 said:

Cthepack said:

Cthepack said:

I "think" Bankhead was a little older but I'm fairly certain Roger and Weiss played on the same team for a couple years.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Cthepack
TheStorm said:

BigLefty24 said:

Cthepack said:

Cthepack said:

Yes it was. I was dating the sister of a UNC player at that time. One day at my girlfriends house the phone rang and I answered it and it was Walt Weiss.
BigLefty24
BobbyCox95 said:

ecu can say whatever they want but they still have little brother syndrome. I know unc tries to say the same about us but its really apples to oranges. They are decent at football and good at baseball but they can't regularly compete with State or any other ACC team in any other sport. It comes from decades of wanting to be in a big boy conference and they will likely never get the chance.
what's funny is that State fans get bent out of shape when UNC fans "look down their nose" and belittle State. Then a lot of State fans turn right around and do the same thing with ECU, which is why the majority of ECU fans react the way they do.

No, they'll likely never get the chance at a big boy conference, which is why they'll always have a chip when they play one of the instate ACC schools. No different than App State, UNCG, UNCW, etc..

But, enough of the debate. Back to the regularly scheduled thread.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

TheStorm
CLTWolf said:

TheStorm said:

BigLefty24 said:

Cthepack said:

Cthepack said:

I "think" Bankhead was a little older but I'm fairly certain Roger and Weiss played on the same team for a couple years.
Oh, I definitely could be wrong... I just remember 3-4-5 guys off that really good UNC Bankhead team making it in MLB to varying degrees, and for some reason I thought Roger was the other really good pitcher at UNC with Bankhead during that general timeframe...
metcalfmafia
I just can't stomach to watch anymore college baseball after what they did to us. My loyalty to the sport stops when we stop playing.

If State was in it, much like the NCAAB Tourney, I'd be watching every game religiously.
Packsd14me
TheStorm said:

CLTWolf said:

TheStorm said:

BigLefty24 said:

Cthepack said:

Cthepack said:

Oh, I definitely could be wrong... I just remember 3-4-5 guys off that really good UNC Bankhead team making it in MLB to varying degrees, and for some reason I thought Roger was the other really good pitcher at UNC with Bankhead during that general timeframe...
Bankhead pitched for the Mariners and the Reds. Scott is a great guy. Teaches pitching well....he hires people to teach hitting. He started and I think still runs the NC Baseball Academy in the Triad. Scott may not be too active in teaching though. He is in his late 50's now, I think. I coached many games against Scott in travel ball....we used to laugh at home plate with the lineup meetings....it was still light blue versus red.
CLTWolf
TheStorm said:

CLTWolf said:

TheStorm said:

BigLefty24 said:

Cthepack said:

Cthepack said:

No you're definitely right. That '84 team was damn good. BJ Surhoff, Walt Weiss, Scott Bankhead, Roger Williams and Todd Wilkinson was a bopper. He was longtime coach at Barton and spent some time at uncw as well as an assistant. Big ol dude. Pretty sure he's the current AD at Barton.

State had a really good squad as well with Tracy Woodson hittin 25 bombs that year.
BigLefty24
TheStorm said:

CLTWolf said:

TheStorm said:

BigLefty24 said:

Cthepack said:

Cthepack said:

Roger set (and I think still holds?) the ACC record for strikeouts in a game. Struck out 19 Duke batters in either 84 or 85.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Cthepack
BigLefty24 said:

TheStorm said:

CLTWolf said:

TheStorm said:

BigLefty24 said:

Cthepack said:

Cthepack said:

Roger set (and I think still holds?) the ACC record for strikeouts in a game. Struck out 19 Duke batters in either 84 or 85.

Roger was a very good athlete, not just an arm.
Borowolf10
BigLefty24 said:

BobbyCox95 said:

what's funny is that State fans get bent out of shape when UNC fans "look down their nose" and belittle State. Then a lot of State fans turn right around and do the same thing with ECU, which is why the majority of ECU fans react the way they do.

No, they'll likely never get the chance at a big boy conference, which is why they'll always have a chip when they play one of the instate ACC schools. No different than App State, UNCG, UNCW, etc..

But, enough of the debate. Back to the regularly scheduled thread.

NC State and UNC are peer institutions in the same conference so not really the same as our relationship to ECU. ECU fans typically adopt the snobbish attitude of UNC fans because of their shared favorite basketball program and somehow refer to State as the redneck school despite themselves being in Greenville.
SniderFC
I know this is a Mens tournament thread but I just saw that Oklahoma's womens softball team went 58-3 this year…..good lord.
Bell Tower Grey
Look up their stats. They are nothing but a machine and have been for a while. I heard a couple of sports radio guys on Sirius talking about them this week, and said their run could be the most dominant of any college sports team, men or women, ever...... better than ucla men's bball, uconn women's bball.... absolutely as strong as thunder.
FlockaWolf
Everyone in their lineup bats above .300
SportManagementEngineer
Crowd in Greenville is awesome. They got the short end with a noon start but looks fun as hell out there.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
BigLefty24
Damn what a play at third to protect the lead. Wow.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Packsd14me
BigLefty24 said:

Real question, how does a team that beat that ECU twice, once in Greenville and win as many games as we did, not make the tournament? Makes me mad all over again to think about it! But I will say ECU is proving our point that we belonged.
DJncsu13
Packsd14me said:

BigLefty24 said:

Real question, how does a team that beat that ECU twice, once in Greenville and win as many games as we did, not make the tournament? Makes me mad all over again to think about it! But I will say ECU is proving our point that we belonged.
The argument I heard was that we beat ECU midweek. We didn't face their weekend arms. I responded with we also threw our midweek arms and had to face their regular lineup and regular bullpen.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
PackFansXL
ECU is currently taking the arrogant Horns behind the wood shed. As the Aggies saw, "saw 'em off, boys"!
Tom OBriens Smile
I mean, I don't see the issue in supporting or posting about ECU going against Texas of all schools; I wish nothing positive on Texas as a college sports entity.

Strong response after Horns steadied themselves, going to be in good shape to finally get it done tomorrow/Sunday.
BigLefty24
Packsd14me said:

BigLefty24 said:

"Our non-conference schedule kept us out..". Remember?
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

TheStorm
In my personal opinion, what kept us out was not winning enough conference games. Behind too many other teams. Winning the tournament title would have compensated for that, but that didn't happen.

And I'm not arguing with anybody here that feels otherwise whatsoever, was just giving you my personal opinion of why I think it happened.
Tom OBriens Smile
It was funny, there was also a tweet from ECU tournament show watch party when the First 4 Out was shown, one of the ECU kids said "we went 0-4 against those teams" referencing us and Old Dominion. Weird stuff.
Packsd14me
Tom OBriens Smile said:

It was funny, there was also a tweet from ECU tournament show watch party when the First 4 Out was shown, one of the ECU kids said "we went 0-4 against those teams" referencing us and Old Dominion. Weird stuff.
And they got a top 8 seed by beating 20 straight teams rated lower than us.....great job committee. The ACC and it's schedule was way undervalued by the committee.
CLTWolf
DJncsu13 said:

Packsd14me said:

BigLefty24 said:

The argument I heard was that we beat ECU midweek. We didn't face their weekend arms. I responded with we also threw our midweek arms and had to face their regular lineup and regular bullpen.
Well that's a bullsht argument b/c they started CJ Mayhue against us in the first game and he pitched again in the 2nd game as well. The only arm they tossed against us that wasn't a normal kid was CJ Boyd.

Game 1
CJ Mayhue (29 app 11 starts)
Danny Beal (28 app)
Trey Yesavage (31 app)
Carter Spivey (33 app)

Game 2
Josh Grosz (23 app 10 starts)
Garrett Saylor (37 app)
CJ Mayhue
Josh Hunter (18 app 12 starts)
CJ Boyd (2 app)
Danny Beal

ECU appearance leaders
Saylor 37
Spivey 33
Yesavage 31
Mayhue 29
Beal 28
Terwilliger 25
Grosz 23

We faced 6 of their top 7 P's during a weekday game.

That argument is flawed.

We started Garrett Payne both games. Silver, Nelson and Villaman pitched in game 1. Nelson, Lawson and Villaman came in after Payne in game 2.

CLTWolf

Hilarious
BigLefty24
Haven't seen this Va Tech offense get shut down much this year. Gonna need to push across some runs.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Ellesdad
Oklahoma is hot!
BigLefty24
Notre Dame shellacking top seed Tennessee early.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

Whitetailpack
Things just got a little fun.

Gilbert from Tenn takes a called strike and turns to umpire and tells him his displeasure and ump tosses him and then he acts suprised.

Dude, this aint the SEC umpires who will take your BS.

'Ol Pitching coach came running out and umpire sent him back to the dressing room as well.

Hilarious.

GO NOTRE DAME!
PackCPA
Tennessee's first baseman is brutal. I'm sure the turf infield can't help but still.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.