Dedicated Tommy White Thread (Transfers to LSU)

48,544 Views | 352 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCooke93
Jtilley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigLefty24 said:

KKandDD said:

I could be wrong here but it would not surprise me if he hits .250 or worse with 7-10 HR next year regardless of who he's playing for. Going to be a lot of hype and expectations.

Definitely going to be a lot of expectations to uphold. The thing with White that makes him less susceptible to struggles is his ability to hit backside with power. That ability can't be taught, and it eliminates a ton of variables when it comes to hitting. He's as good of a gap to gap/backside hitter as I've seen in a long time.
I was amazed at all of the outside fastballs he was getting during the tournament. He eats those up.
James Henderson
Staff
This one doesn't look good.
James Henderson
Staff
Jtilley said:

BigLefty24 said:

KKandDD said:

I could be wrong here but it would not surprise me if he hits .250 or worse with 7-10 HR next year regardless of who he's playing for. Going to be a lot of hype and expectations.

Definitely going to be a lot of expectations to uphold. The thing with White that makes him less susceptible to struggles is his ability to hit backside with power. That ability can't be taught, and it eliminates a ton of variables when it comes to hitting. He's as good of a gap to gap/backside hitter as I've seen in a long time.
I was amazed at all of the outside fastballs he was getting during the tournament. He eats those up.
His ability to go the other way is why he's a special hitter.
Wolfpacklife
James Henderson said:

Any potential replacements? Maybe a big board on the horizon?
James Henderson
Staff
Wolfpacklife said:

James Henderson said:

Any potential replacements? Maybe a big board on the horizon?
For White; that's not out there.

But you can probably bring in a transfer who will be a better fielder. State needs to improve defensively.
Ellesdad
James Henderson said:

We're cursed

Joking aside, losing Tommy stings, but it's not just him. It's that this will be normal now. It's literal free agency. Obviously we have and will benefit from it too. But this is a tough environment for coaches.
Wolfpacklife
Yea I hear ya. Tommy is definitely special. I'm just curious who we would be looking at. But I guess we have to see this through first
BobbyCox95
James Henderson said:

Is it a done deal? Are we still fighting to keep him behind the scenes?
James Henderson
Staff
Wolfpacklife said:

Yea I hear ya. Tommy is definitely special. I'm just curious who we would be looking at. But I guess we have to see this through first
Yeah they may not even know yet.
James Henderson
Staff
Ellesdad said:

James Henderson said:

We're cursed

Joking aside, losing Tommy stings, but it's not just him. It's that this will be normal now. It's literal free agency. Obviously we have and will benefit from it too. But this is a tough environment for coaches.
If he wants to leave for money NC State can't win in that area with baseball. I'm not sure how much NIL opportunities there can be on NC State's side for baseball.
James Henderson
Staff
BobbyCox95 said:

James Henderson said:

I've heard it's done from multiple sources, but I guess you never know until he's in the portal.
Wolfmac
I get more and more turned off by college athletics everyday. It's all corrupt now.
BobbyCox95
James Henderson said:

BobbyCox95 said:

James Henderson said:

I've heard it's done from multiple sources, but I guess you never know until he's in the portal.

Welp that sucks

Why hasn't he entered the portal yet?
James Henderson
Staff
Wolfmac said:

I get more and more turned off by college athletics everyday. It's all corrupt now.
Yeah if this went down as I've heard, it's not pretty.
Borowolf10
James Henderson said:

Wolfmac said:

You gotta fill us in man. We gotta know.
James Henderson
Staff
Borowolf10 said:

James Henderson said:

Wolfmac said:

Waiting for it to play out to post any details for obvious reasons.
BigLefty24
James Henderson said:

Borowolf10 said:

James Henderson said:

Wolfmac said:

Midnight chat room?
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

FLWolf
He is one of the few athletes that can get NIL money in baseball

I just do not het where FSU is getting all of this NIL money. They traditionally have had major financially issues but I guess their alumni are stepping up for NIL.
SniderFC
Wolfmac said:

Yep baseball to me was the last saving grace for college sports but after Omaha last year, the snub this year and now this. I'm at my breaking point for college athletics.
Pack87
Interconference moves like this will be the end of college sports. Fans and teammates having to go against guys that have turned their back on them it will not be pretty. Wait until UNC needs one of our star players to make a run in Football or Basketball and pays them to leave. You just can't have this much freedom of movement and keep sports competitive and appealing. Not saying their should be none but even the pros have contract terms and salary caps.
FLWolf
BTW, we have to be better defensively across the board to win. This team was missing something all year

Losing White sux but you can survive this in baseball-I trust Avent
Bas2020
This strikes me as a ruthless agent trying to flex and make a power play for the family so he continue to rep
Him when the big money comes in two years .

The FSU thing is interesting . Did his parents attend there ? It's still 4 hours from home .

Illl hold judgement until he does go . A lot of comments in this thread sound like sour grapes . He's potentially the best hitter in school history . Wed all love to have him .

The money thing is confusing . Trea Turner & Rodon are $300 million guys coming up . We get numerous $1 million dollar donations for Doak improvements each month and yet we don't have $100K in NIL?
kmb717
James Henderson said:

Borowolf10 said:

James Henderson said:

Wolfmac said:

For me, the strangest thing has been how quickly this played out. No one even expected our season to be over at this point. Will be interesting to see how this all came together.
NashvillePackFan
Guess he had this in the works while we were still playing
Wolfpacklife
I've followed college sports my whole life and always said it was the best because these kids have motivation to play for the next level etc... now we just have minor leagues in every sport.

These kids deserved money for NIL.. but this crap is already old. No way it should have ever been let go without some regulations on total pay.
Nairo
Can't regulate pay but you can regulate transferring and tampering. I think the solution is that scholarships need to be binding contracts among both parties (not renewable year to year but guaranteed for five years) and non compete agreements written into the agreement. If a kid wants to transfer they either have to sit a year or pay back the full value of the grant to the school to get released from their contract. They can negotiate severance if the coach leaves and they want out of the contract. Just like in the business world.

Wolfpacklife said:

I've followed college sports my whole life and always said it was the best because these kids have motivation to play for the next level etc... now we just have minor leagues in every sport.

These kids deserved money for NIL.. but this crap is already old. No way it should have ever been let go without some regulations on total pay.
Wolfpacklife
Yeah thats true. But what would even happen with tampering really? How could they prove it and wouldn't the player be gone anyways?
Nairo
Since scholarships would be binding contracts, tampering would create legal exposure and claims against the offender under my model.

Wolfpacklife said:

Yeah thats true. But what would even happen with tampering really? How could they prove it and wouldn't the player be gone anyways?
TraCha4
Just my opinion- I love Tommy and absolutely do not want to see him leave. His offense is spectacular. On the flip side, I don't want to see State overpay in this situation. I'd rather see us use baseball NIL pool of money to bring in multiple really good arms.
James Henderson
Staff
Nairo said:

Can't regulate pay but you can regulate transferring and tampering. I think the solution is that scholarships need to be binding contracts among both parties (not renewable year to year but guaranteed for five years) and non compete agreements written into the agreement. If a kid wants to transfer they either have to sit a year or pay back the full value of the grant to the school to get released from their contract. They can negotiate severance if the coach leaves and they want out of the contract. Just like in the business world.

Wolfpacklife said:

IMO, you now put back in the 1-year sit rules. Pairing it with NIL has been the culprit.
tau06
BigLefty24 said:

Packforlife said:

You do not have to play the field now if you are a generational hitter both leagues have the Dh now.

You're not getting a high draft grade without a position. And a kid ain't risking out on draft money hoping he can work his way through the minors on a few hundred dollars a week and a meal stipend.

You guys are thinking very narrow. This is a leverage move by Tommy and his camp. He's going into next year with a new NIL deal and a guarantee to play the field. If our crowd can't accommodate that, then they need someone else making decisions.

Hate to break it to Tommy but unless he really reshapes his body he can play in the field all he wants but his lack of a premium position is going to hinder his draft grade regardless. Nothing NCSU coaches can do about that. It's why he made it to NCSU in the first place
Wolfpacklife
James Henderson said:

Nairo said:

Wolfpacklife said:

IMO, you now put back in the 1-year sit rules. Pairing it with NIL has been the culprit.

Yep. Crazy it hasn't been fixed
tau06
James Henderson said:

Wolfmac said:

If this does indeed happen you need to air all the dirty laundry. That crap needs to be out in the ether
tau06
FLWolf said:

BTW, we have to be better defensively across the board to win. This team was missing something all year

Losing White sux but you can survive this in baseball-I trust Avent

If a few of the freshman make it to campus the team will look completely different athletically and in the field. Will be a completely different style team but one that probably fits Avents best teams better. Need some stuff to sort out with pitching but if you get Sam back to 100%, Willadson back with a few years of leverage left you can have a really good team next year.

But make no bones about it, Still is a buzz kill to lose the most exciting player in the league
SexualChocolate
It's not tampering if you are reaching out to other teams.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.