Rodon to the Yankee's

32,325 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Pilamengineer
Borowolf10
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Get paid Carlos!
WolfpackBAE08
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33478732/sources-ex-chicago-white-sox-lefty-carlos-rodon-agrees-san-francisco-giants-2-year-44m-deal

Congrats to Rodon on the big deal! Think this could be a good fit for him. Hope Patrick Bailey gets to be Catcher over Bart
PackFansXL
Rodon will be pitching against Turner on a frequent basis. They will also be in direct competition for the same pennant. That's a bit disappointing.

Congrats to Los on the big payday!! I'm glad he doesn't have to listen to La Russa-sux any more.
metcalfmafia
Great time for a pitcher to move to the NL since you don't have to hit anymore
MaxPack
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Worst possible scenario
ecbwolf
As a Dodger fan, I hope his next 2 years suck
WP
ecbwolf said:

As a Dodger fan, I hope his next 2 years suck
I knew there was something about you I didn't like! As a Giant fan, I hope you are wrong!

Thank goodness, this stupid lockout is over. We are moving to Tahoe in June, so we should get to see a couple of his starts before we leave.

89_Grad
Write that Doak capital campaign check, Carlos!
Steve Videtich
He can't catch a break on taxes. From Illinois to California, lol!
ShaggyWolf

Wolfer79
metcalfmafia
Wolfer79 said:

Man I loved watching Lincecum pitch with that funky windup.
Wolfer79
Rodon scheduled to start in San Francisco vs Marlins today
Wolfer79
Rodon out after 5
5.0 innings pitched
20 batters faced
89 pitches, 61 strikes
3 hits, 2 double
1 run, earned
2 walks
12 strike outs
1 wild pitch

left trailing 1-0
Giants tied game in bottom of 5th
Wolfer79
Carlos Rodn has induced 19 swings & misses through 4 IP, the most by any Giants pitcher thru 4 IP in a game in the pitch-tracking era (since 2008)

Wolfer79
Carlos Rodn's 12 strikeouts are the most by a Giants pitcher through 5 IP since at least 1974

Wolfer79
Carlos Rodn's 24 swings & misses induced are tied for the 4th-most by a pitcher through 5 IP in the pitch-tracking era (since 2008), trailing only:

6/6/21 Patrick Sandoval: 26
8/31/20 Jacob deGrom: 25
6/4/19 Blake Snell: 25

Wolfer79
Carlos Rodn's 12 strikeouts in 5 IP are the most K's by a Giants pitcher in the first 5 innings of a game in at least the SF era (1958)

h/t @EliasSports

Wolfer79
Left-hander Carlos Rodn was as advertised in his Giants debut on Saturday afternoon.
Rodn struck out 12 over five dominant innings in his first career start at Oracle Park, but he didn't get much help from his offense or defense in a 2-1 loss to the Marlins.

Steven Duggar put the Giants on the board with a game-tying RBI double off Miami right-hander Pablo Lpez in the fifth inning, but Jess Snchez countered with a go-ahead single off veteran lefty Jake McGee in the seventh to hand San Francisco its first loss of the 2022 campaign. The Giants, who are missing a trio of regulars in Evan Longoria, LaMonte Wade Jr. and Tommy La Stella, mustered only five hits and struck out 14 times against Lpez and four Marlins relievers.

Rodn, 29, did not factor into the decision after giving up one run on three hits and two walks in the 89-pitch outing. His 12 strikeouts tied Hall of Famer Juan Marichal for the second-most by a pitcher in his Giants debut, trailing only Cliff Melton, who racked up 13 in a complete-game effort against the Boston Bees in 1937.

"Carlos was just electric," manager Gabe Kapler said. "It was as good a Giants debut as any of us could have hoped for."
Rodn leaned on his fastball-slider combination to overpower the Marlins' lineup, topping out at 98.9 mph and inducing 24 swinging strikes, the fourth-most by a pitcher through five innings since the arrival of the pitch-tracking era in 2008.
"I think Joey [Bart] and I worked well together," Rodn said. "We put together some good sequences. It was overall a good day as far as the outing. But I'm just not happy. I wish we would have won that game."

Rodn, who was signed to a two-year, $44 million contract to fill the void left at the top of the rotation by the departure of All-Star Kevin Gausman, had never pitched in San Francisco prior to Saturday, as he spent the first seven years of his career in the American League Central with the White Sox. He announced his arrival with a sizzling first inning, retiring Jorge Soler, Garrett Cooper and Jess Aguilar on 10 straight fastballs, none of which were under 97 mph.

Rodn worked around a one-out double to Miguel Rojas to post a scoreless second, but the Marlins opened the scoring in the third with the help of some sloppy defense from the Giants, who have now committed four errors and several mental mistakes over their first two games of 2022.
Jon Berti reached on a one-out infield single and took second on a throwing error from Wilmer Flores, who is filling in at third base for the injured Longoria. Bart nearly picked off Berti when he took off for third on a wild pitch, but Flores couldn't hang on to the ball while applying the tag, allowing Berti to advance safely.
"I think there's a little bit of rust," Kapler said. "I don't want to make any excuses for anybody, but Flo is dealing with some stuff that's going on for him off the field and that may be weighing on his mind. That's a possibility."
Rodn subsequently struck out Soler on a slider in the dirt, but the pitch squirted away from Bart, bringing in Berti from third and giving the Marlins a 1-0 lead.

https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/carlos-rodon-strikes-out-12-in-giants-debut
WP
Giants fans are going to be in LOVE with this guy if he keeps pitching this way and handling himself so well. I was listening to an interview with Jon Miller (Radio HOFer), one of the Giants broadcasters before the game Saturday. Miller told the story of being on the team bus at spring training and he hadn't met Carlos. Miller is sitting there & he looks up to see Carlos make his way across the bus to introduce himself. Miller has been the voice of the Giants since 97 & he was beyond impressed with the way Carlos handed himself.

And now after that performance on Saturday, most people are comparing him to the Freak (Lincecum) in the way he can make hitters look stupid.
Wolfer79
Rodon scheduled to start Friday in Cleveland
griff17matt
Rodon's velocity has really cranked up the year. Consistently hitting 97-99.

7IP, 2H, 2BB, 1ER, 9K on 90 pitches

Picks up his first W this season.

Next game will be 4/20 @NYM
Wolfer79
7.0 innings pitched
25 batter faced
90 pitches, 50 strikes
2 hits, double
1 run, earned
2 walls
1 hit batter
9 strike outs
win 1-0, 1.50 ERA
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

Carlos Rodn has struck out 21 batters and allowed just 5 hits in 2 starts. He is just the 2nd pitcher in modern MLB history (since 1900) with 20+ strikeouts and 5 or fewer hits over his 1st 2 starts with a team.

Pedro Martnez did it with the Mets in 2005 h/t
@EliasSports

Wolfer79
https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/carlos-rodon-dominant-in-giants-win-over-guardians

"We've seen enough," Guardians manager Terry Francona said. "I'm glad he's in the National League and this is the only [matchup] … because he's had his way with us."
Wolfer79
Rodon scheduled to start tonight at Mets
Wolfer79
Giants @ Mets is on MLB Network
griff17matt
Rodon keeps looking at his middle finger. I'd bet he's working on a blister. His curve has seemed really off tonight.
griff17matt
Rodon is done after 5IP. 3 hits, 2 walks, 8 strikeouts, 95 pitches. Didn't have much command of anything but especially breaking balls. I really think he has a blister on his middle finger.
WolfQuacker
griff17matt said:

Rodon is done after 5IP. 3 hits, 2 walks, 8 strikeouts, 95 pitches. Didn't have much command of anything but especially breaking balls. I really think he has a blister on his middle finger.
Seems like a pretty good line for a big league pitcher, especially the way you described the pitching.
griff17matt
WolfQuacker said:

griff17matt said:

Seems like a pretty good line for a big league pitcher, especially the way you described the pitching.

Maybe I should have said he didn't have his normal command. 95 pitches, 60 were strikes. His fastball seemed to miss high mostly. And I don't think his curve found the strike zone all night. He eventually ditched it for the slider, which was better but still not what I've seen from him in the past.

Maybe it was just the cold. This was after the game:

He said his high fastball usage stemmed from the fact that he couldn't develop a good feel for his breaking pitches on Wednesday, specifically his wipeout slider and curveball.

"The breaking stuff was not very good, so we just decided to go with the fastball attack," Rodn said. "Luckily, it worked in my favor today. I was kind of pitching with one pitch. I threw a couple of sliders that were maybe OK. I got some out with the fastballs. They worked some counts, and they worked that pitch count up. They did a good job with that."
Wolfer79
griff17matt said:

5.0 IP
20 batters faced
95 pitches 60 strikes
3 hits, 1 double
0 runs
2 walks
8 strikeouts

win 2-0
ERA 1.06
Wolfer79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.