Rodon to the Yankee's

34,222 Views | 273 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rodon scheduled to pitch Tuesday vs Athletics in San Francisco
griff17matt
Gonna be a quick game for Rodon. Think he's around 75 pitches through 4 innings. He's getting to 2 strikes but man they are extending ABs. I don't think he's found his best breaking stuff yet this year. Maybe he's worried Bart can't block it when needed but that wipeout slider isn't there from what I've watched this year.

With that said, he's having a great year. If he can get that breaking ball working, he'll be the best in the league.
griff17matt
Rodon most likely done for the night.

104 pitches, 74 for strikes
6 IP
3 H
1 ER
2 BB
9 SO
1.17 ERA

Breaking ball picked up the last 2 innings.

Giants lead 5-1 so will probably pick up his 3rd win if they don't fall apart.
Wolfer79
griff17matt said:

Rodon most likely done for the night.

104 pitches, 74 for strikes
6 IP
3 H
1 ER
2 BB
9 SO
1.17 ERA

Breaking ball picked up the last 2 innings.

Giants lead 5-1 so will probably pick up his 3rd win if they don't fall apart.
thank you
Rodon get win 3-0 1.17 ERA
FlockaWolf
I assume he gave up 5+ ERs after reading your recaps lol. I appreciate the analysis tho
griff17matt
FlockaWolf said:

I assume he gave up 5+ ERs after reading your recaps lol. I appreciate the analysis tho

Lol didn't realize that typing it out but it reads that way for sure. Nah, Rodon's fastball is ELITE. He just hasn't got command of his breaking pitches like he normally has in the past. Not sure if it's the added velocity overall or a mechanical thing or what.

Looking over to play by play, it looks to have shaken out like this:

66 4s FB thrown, 14 balls (21.2%)
33 sliders, 12 balls (36.4%)
5 curves, 4 balls (80%)

His curve was atrocious last night. Like, not even close to be serviceable. To me, untrained and unprofessional as I am, his slider looked off too. He threw it for some strikes, sure. Maybe he's trying different types of sliders to not lean into the wipeout slider so much. But he left a lot hanging the A's didn't take advantage of.

He knows all this and has said as much in the past 2 postgame interviews. He'll get it figured out and will be rightfully up there with the best in the game.
Wolfer79
Rodon scheduled to start Tuesday night in Los Angeles vs Dodgers
FlockaWolf
Should be fun to watch him vs Trea
griff17matt
FlockaWolf said:

Should be fun to watch him vs Trea

Game doesn't start until after 10pm ET, so give us some play-by-play if you watch it.
FlockaWolf
It's on TBS
Wolfer79
San Francisco at Los Angeles Dodgers TBS/NBC Sports Bay Area/Spectrum SportsNet LA, 10 p.m.
FlockaWolf
Rodon made quick work of the Dodgers in the first. He and Trea had a laugh when Trea walked up to the plate. Trea popped out to first on the first pitch. Announcers acknowledged it was their first time facing each other after being teammates at State
FlockaWolf
Wild inning for Rodon in the 2nd. Walked two then a wild pitch put both in scoring position then both runners were drove in.

Seems to be leaving a lot up high; the wild pitch was Ricky Vaughn esque
FlockaWolf
Off speed location still a struggle for him in the 3rd but 3 quick outs including Trea flying out to center.
FlockaWolf
Think Rodon has realized he's gotta just rely on the fastball tonight. 2Ks, 2 walks, and 2 ER thru 4.
FlockaWolf
Chris Taylor has both of the Dodgers hits off Rodon and both being off the fastball. 3Ks, 2BB, 2 ER thru 5. Dodgers lead 2-0.
FlockaWolf
Trea with a double off Carlos. Rodon gets out the inning. He was looking at his finger again so I assume he has a blister or something he's dealing with.

After watching him I def see why griffs breakdowns seem like he's given up 5+ runs. He's been struggling to throw strikes all night but has only given up 3 hits.
FlockaWolf
Carlos done after 6 with the Giants down 2-1.
Wolfer79
6.0 inning pitched
23 batter faced
95 pitches, 60 strikes
3 hits, 2 doubles
2 runs, both earned
2 walks
3 strike outs
1 wild pitch
7 ground outs, 6 fly outs

loss 3-1, !.55 ERA
griff17matt
FlockaWolf said:

Trea with a double off Carlos. Rodon gets out the inning. He was looking at his finger again so I assume he has a blister or something he's dealing with.

After watching him I def see why griffs breakdowns seem like he's given up 5+ runs. He's been struggling to throw strikes all night but has only given up 3 hits.

Good to know I'm not crazy. I'm not sure how long he can rely on his fastball before he starts getting tattooed on the regular. I realize they ditched the change-up he was throwing last year, but he desperately needs a 3rd pitch to go to when the slider isn't on or he's getting blisters from it.

Sucks he took the loss but he's been playing with fire all year. Still only gave up 2 runs to probably the best team in baseball right now, so how mad can you really be with hardly any run support from the Giants?
gopack1979
I watched the 2nd or 3rd inning when he gave up 2 of the runs. He was painting the top and bottom of the strike zone but not getting the close calls. I don't think he was that far off, but yeah he was looking at that finger quite a bit.
FlockaWolf
Yeah I think they said the Giants have like 9 or so people out due to injury/covid
Wolfer79
SportManagementEngineer
Pretty cool article in The Athletic today on Rodon and Turner:

https://theathletic.com/3294859/2022/05/05/i-got-him-former-college-roommates-trea-turner-and-carlos-rodon-add-layer-to-dodgers-giants-rivalry/
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Wolfer79
Rodon scheduled to start Monday night at home vs Rockies
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
A bit surprised the Giants let Carlos Rodn pitch the sixth. He worked a 1-2-3 inning and finished w/12 Ks. He also threw 110 pitches -- tied for the second most anyone has thrown in a major league game this season. (Gerrit Cole threw 114 pitches for the Yankees yesterday.)

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Monday vs Rockies

6.0 innings
24 batters faced
110 pitches, 75 strikes
6 hits all singles
2 runs, both earned
2 walks
12 strike outs
3 ground outs, 1 fly out

win 4-1, 1.80 ERA

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/rockies-vs-giants/2022/05/09/662097#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=662097
Wolfer79
Rodn racks up 12 K's in 110-pitch gem
Left-hander Carlos Rodn took the mound on an extra day of rest on Monday, though he had to work hard against the Rockies' pesky lineup. Colorado forced Rodn to throw 30 pitches in the first inning alone, with former Giants outfielder Connor Joe setting the tone with a nine-pitch at-bat that resulted in a leadoff single.

Still, Rodn managed to limit the damage, striking out 12 over six innings of two-run ball to improve to 4-1 with a 1.80 ERA over six starts this year. Rodn threw 110 pitches, tied for the second-most by a starting pitcher in a single outing this year.

With his 14th career double-digit strikeout game, Rodn now leads the Majors with 53 punchouts over 35 innings this year, though Kapler said he believes there's still more potential to unlock.

"As good as he's been, as many dudes as he's struck out, there's still probably more ceiling in there for Carlos," Kapler said. "I think that starts with curbing some of his frustration that he feels throughout the game because every pitch that he delivers takes so much energy. If we can find ways, if he can find ways, to conserve some of that energy for every pitch he's going to make deep into games, I actually think there's an even better pitcher in there. I think he's that good."

Rodn agreed.

"I get emotional and frustrated," Rodn said. "I showed that a little more today, so I know I can be better at that instead of wasting energy on frustration and pitches that already happened and you can't control. A little stronger mindset, there's definitely a lot better I can do. I think I can go deeper in the games, as I should. Gabe's right."

https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/mauricio-dubon-homers-in-giants-win-vs-rockies

Wolfer79
Rodon scheduled to pitch Sunday night in St Louis vs Cardinals.

Game on espn
Wolfer79
San Francisco at St. Louis ESPN, 7 p.m.

Rodon vs Wainwright
Wolfer79
"The quality of that fastball is exactly what we should be talking about." Gabe Kapler on Carlos Rodn's four-seamer. OK.

w/ great work from @mi_guardado on baseball's most dominating pitch .. the good old fashioned high stinky cheese.

PackFansXL
Thanks for posting that tweet, Wolfer, but it doesn't do the article justice. That's a great article ripe with stats, graphs, and pitching insight. Must read material. Here's to a great season for Los!
griff17matt
Quite a disastrous 1st inning for Carlos

4-0 St Louis

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.