Rodon to the Yankee's

34,262 Views | 273 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YANKEES
Mental, physical battles molded Carlos Rodn and his wife, Ashley, long before delayed Yankees debut

By Gary Phillips
New York Daily News
Jul 02, 2023 at 10:00 am

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-carlos-rodon-ashley-mental-health-20230701-f377tdcdjrdivfhfytp3sjbowu-story.html
dmelvin
Suppose to start for Yankees tomorrow.
Dmelvin
Wolfer79
dmelvin said:

Suppose to start for Yankees tomorrow.

thank you

i thought they might wait until after All-Star break.

but looking at schedule the 1st game after break is 14th so this gives time for recovery and evaluation
Wolfer79
Rodn is set to make his Yankees debut on Friday in the opener of a three-game series against the Cubs. He had been on the 60-day IL with a left elbow strain and back stiffness.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/carlos-rodon-season-debut-for-yankees
griff17matt
Carlos went 5.1 IP, 4 h, 2 r, 2 er, 2 bb, 2 k, 69 pitches and took the L.
Wolfer79
griff17matt said:

Carlos went 5.1 IP, 4 h, 2 r, 2 er, 2 bb, 2 k, 69 pitches and took the L.
thank you

69 pitches, 45 strikes
22 batters faced
1 wild pitch
5 ground outs, 7 fly outs
Wolfer79
Pinstripes premiere: Rodn shows little rust in Yanks debut

New York's bats struggle to support left-hander during his first 2023 sta
https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/carlos-rodon-strikes-out-two-in-yankees-debut

"I thought Carlos was really good," manager Aaron Boone said. "[The Cubs] came out with a game plan, really selling out to that heater. They were aggressive to it and took some good swings, but because he had the life there and was executing at the top of the zone, he was really pitch-efficient."

Limited to just one start this spring by a forearm strain that preceded a bout with back tightness, Rodn showed few signs of rust, averaging 95.5 mph with his fastball and touching 97.4 mph in a 69-pitch effort.

"I was pretty impressed with the fastball, and the secondary stuff was there, too," Higashioka said. "I thought it was definitely a change of pace from the guys I normally catch. It's kind of fun, almost, doing something new. I thought he looked really good."

"That first inning was pretty loud, especially when we got to two strikes in the first inning and got that first punchout [of Ian Happ]," Rodn said. "It was nice to hear the crowd. It was good."
Wolfer79
Rodon listed as started tonight in Colorado vs Rockies
8:40pm EDT 1st pitch
tau06
Wolfer79 said:

Rodon listed as started tonight in Colorado vs Rockies
8:40pm EDT 1st pitch

Tough place to pitch. Ball just doesn't spin like it does in the other parks with that thin air. Glad he's back health and hope he has a huge 2nd half. Hell of a talent!
Wolfer79
July 14 @ Rockies

5.0 inning pitched
21 batters faced
88 pitches, 51 strikes
4 hits, 1 home run, double
4 runs, all earned
3 wild pitches
2 walks
6 strike outs
3 ground outs, 5 fly outs

Rockies win 7-2
Rodon gets loss
0-2 5.23 ERA

Rodn wasn't as sharp as he was in his Yankees debut on July 7, just prior to the All-Star break (he had been out all season to that point with a left forearm strain). He fought his command all night, throwing three wild pitches and often finding himself behind in the count.

But he made some big pitches when he needed to, keeping the Yankees within striking distance at a ballpark where runs can go up on the board quickly. Overall, he went five innings, allowing four runs on four hits and two walks while striking out six on 88 pitches (51 strikes).
"I was in a lot of hitter's counts in that [three-run] second inning. I've just gotta work on getting ahead," Rodn said. " … I definitely wasn't good. I don't know if it's rust. I mean, it's just baseball. It wasn't good tonight. Let's just put it that way."

Rodn noted that his fastball command just wasn't there, and he found a feel for his slider late, but by that point, the damage had been done. With a lineup that is still struggling, there is little margin for error..

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/giancarlo-stanton-s-homer-not-enough-as-yankees-lose-to-rockies

Wolfer79
Rodon scheduled to start Wednesday in Anaheim 7:07pm EDT 1st pitch
Wolfer79
Wednesday @ Angels

4.1 Innings pitched
22 batters faced
87pitches, 51 strikes
4 hits, 2 home runs
6 runs, all earned
5 walks
3 strike outs
5 ground outs, 5 fly outs

loss 0-3, 7.36 ERA

The enduring snapshot of the Yankees' awful 1-5 western swing likely transpired at the end of the second inning on Wednesday afternoon, when Carlos Rodn eyed a group of jeering fans behind the first-base dugout and blew a soft kiss toward the seating area at Angel Stadium.

Indeed, signs of the Yankees' oozing frustration have become evident through this span, during which runs have been difficult to produce and defeats have piled up. Rodn had given up four runs at the time of the sarcastic smooch, and he surrendered a couple more as the Yanks wrapped their road trip with a 7-3 loss to the Angels.

"It was the best reaction I could give," Rodn said. "But better not to give a reaction, I guess. It was a frustrating outing, that's for sure, and I showed it there in the second early."
Rodn said there was no particular comment that prompted the exchange.
"I didn't really pay mind to what was said," Rodn said. "A fan was angry, as they should be. I'm angry, too. I was just angry at myself and blew a kiss, unfortunately."

Yankees manager Aaron Boone said that he discussed the incident with Rodn, as well as a later outburst from reliever Tommy Kahnle, who fired his glove and stomped on an oscillating fan in the dugout after surrendering an eighth-inning run.
"I would like him not to do that," Boone said of Rodn. "Look, he's frustrated. It's been tough for him to be out [injured], and then he comes back and had a rough go of it today. He wants to help this team turn it around.
"I think that [kiss] probably prevented him from doing something that he didn't want to do, which is yell at a fan or yell at somebody."

The left-hander, who signed a six-year, $162 million contract over the offseason, owns a 7.36 ERA through three starts. His season debut was delayed until July 7 due to a forearm strain and back tightness.

"I just haven't really done my job at all," Rodn said. "But I think if I look at this group, we get punched in the face and we get back on the saddle. Let's see what happens on Friday. That's kind of the mindset."

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/yankees-end-1-5-road-trip-as-carlos-rodon-struggles
Wolfer79
July 26
Rodon schedule to start at Yankee Stadium vs Mets 7;05pm
Wolfer79
Wednesday vs Mets

5.2 innings pitched
25 batter faced
93 pitches, 61 strikes
4 hits, double
1 run, earned
3 walks
4 strike outs

Yankees win 3-1
Rodon gets win 1-3, 5.75 ERA

Carlos Rodn wanted one more batter, pleading his case as he stood atop the Yankee Stadium mound in the sixth inning on Wednesday. That request was bypassed, with manager Aaron Boone raising his right hand toward the bullpen, but the Yankees are ready to see their left-hander author a few more starts like this.

Rodn turned in his strongest outing as a Bomber thus far, permitting one run over 5 2/3 innings to pick up his first win in pinstripes as the Yankees secured a split of this season's Subway Series with a 3-1 victory over the Mets in the Bronx.

"I would have taken it about three starts ago, but it's nice to have it now and finally get that out of the way," Rodn said. "We can build off this start and see where we can go from there."

Rodn had pitched to an 0-3 record and a 7.36 ERA through his first three starts with the Yankees, after signing a six-year, $162 million contract this past offseason.

His season debut delayed by injuries, Rodn's first impressions included a frustrating start last week in which he blew a kiss to a jeering fan seated above the Angel Stadium visiting dugout.

"It's not been an easy road here since Spring Training, trying to get back," Boone said. "That's hurt him, because he wants to be out there. He knows he was brought here to be a big part of this team, and it took longer for him to get back than he would have liked. I think that ate at him a lot."

No air smooches (or any other gestures) were necessary on Wednesday, as Rodn showcased improved command with his fastball and slider while limiting the Mets to Brandon Nimmo's third-inning sacrifice fly.

"The goal today was just pounding the zone," Rodn said. "It's a good hitting lineup. The Mets are a good team. Their record doesn't show it, but they are a good team. Their lineup is strong from top to bottom."

Rodn scattered four hits and three walks while striking out four, the most crucial of which was a swinging punchout of Pete Alonso that stranded two men aboard in the fifth inning, prompting a primal howl from the hurler.

"Rodn looked awesome," Kiner-Falefa said. "I feel like this was his first real big game in New York, and he came through for us. It was a big 'Welcome to New York' moment. He's a bulldog out there, and that's the energy we need. It's fun to play behind him."

Rodn argued his case to stay in the game after 93 pitches, and though Boone entertained him, the manager was not swayed. Rodn understood, and unlike the start in Anaheim, his path toward the dugout was accompanied by cheers.

"It was nice to have the fans happy with the performance," Rodn said.

https://www.mlb.com/news/carlos-rodon-earns-first-yankees-win-against-mets?game_pk=717248

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Rodon scheduled to start
Tuesday August 1
vs Rays
in New York
7:05pm
Wolfer79
game on TBS
FLWolf
he had no control at all
Wolfer79
Tuesday
4.0 innings pitched
19 batters faced
97 pitches, 63 strikes
4 hits, 2 home runs, double
4 runs, all earned
4 walks
5 strike ouits

loss
1-4, 6.29 ERA

Coming off his first victory in pinstripes, Rodn struggled with his control, walking four and throwing a wild pitch while striking out five. He served up homers to Yandy Daz and Randy Arozarena in a 97-pitch effort (63 strikes), permitting four runs on four hits.

Coming off his first victory in pinstripes, Rodn struggled with his control, walking four and throwing a wild pitch while striking out five. He served up homers to Yandy Daz and Randy Arozarena in a 97-pitch effort (63 strikes), permitting four runs on four hits.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/carlos-rodon-struggles-as-yankees-lose-to-rays
gopack1979
Every game he gets no run support. I don't really watch MLB until the playoffs. Do the Yankees suck that bad this yer?
Wolfer79
gopack1979 said:

Every game he gets no run support. I don't really watch MLB until the playoffs. Do the Yankees suck that bad this yer?

without Judge, the Yankees are an average AAA lineup

with Judge, they are above average AAA
Wolfer79
Sunday
Rodon scheduled start vs Astros in New York
135pm
JCooke93
griff17matt
Carlos and Trea are looking like hot garbage this year. Wish they could just go back to their old teams lol hope they both get it turned around asap
Wolfer79
Carlos Rodn left today's game with left hamstring tightness. He's being examined at Yankee Stadium by Dr. David Trofa. Additional examinations will take place over the next 24 hours.

FLWolf
If the Yankees continue to tank, I would just shut him down
Wolfer79
Sunday vs Astros

2.2 innings
13 batters faced
58 pitches, 38 strikes
3 hits, 2 home runs
5 runs, all earned
2 walks
5 strike outs

no decision

With wins becoming as valuable as air in the Bronx, the Yankees are depending on Carlos Rodn to return to form and bolster their unstable rotation more than ever. He left Sunday afternoon's 9-7 loss to the Astros at Yankee Stadium in the third inning with left hamstring tightness, leaving more questions about the vitality of the rotation in his wake.

Rodn's efforts to produce a bounce-back afternoon started off well, as he retired the top of the Astros' lineup in order to begin the game. He ran into trouble in the second frame after walking two batters, giving up a three-run blast to Jake Meyers with two outs and giving back the one-run lead he was gifted by a Gleyber Torres solo homer.

In the third inning, he let up a two-run blast to Yordan Alvarez on an 0-2 slider on the corner, allowing the Astros to take a 5-1 lead. Then, in the middle of his two-out at-bat against Chas McCormick, Rodn was seen moving gingerly before returning to the mound.
"I just felt it grab for a second -- it felt like a cramp," Rodn said after the loss.
After a long discussion with manager Aaron Boone and the team's trainers, as well as two warmup pitches, Rodn exited the game with the coaching staff. He tossed just 2 2/3 innings, allowing five runs on three hits (two homers), while striking out five and walking two batters, with his season ERA rising to 7.33.

"Honestly, after that it felt fine; it was kind of more a precautionary thing," Rodn said. "In this moment, I feel normal. It's one of those things that we'll have to see what tomorrow holds."
Rodn is planning on undergoing MRI testing, but he's cautiously optimistic that he will be able to avoid a stint on the injured list. He was more concerned about the walks of Tucker and Jeremy Peña that preceded the home run to Meyers in the second inning.
"The walks definitely keep hurting me," Rodn said. "[Against Tucker] we had a good bout going, and I just needed to finish him off. And then the walk to Peña, I just should have attacked him."

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/carlos-rodon-exits-start-early-vs-astros
Wolfer79
Carlos Rodn was placed on the 15-day IL with a left hamstring strain, the Yankees announced Monday.
Wolfer79
LHP Carlos Rodn (left hamstring strain)
Expected return: Aug. 22
Rodn is scheduled to start against the Nationals on Aug. 22. He threw five simulated innings at the Yankees' complex in Tampa, Fla., on Aug. 16, and manager Aaron Boone reported that the club was encouraged by how it went. Rodn last pitched in the Majors on Aug. 6, when he lasted just 2 2/3 innings against the Astros before exiting due to injury. (Last updated: Aug. 18)

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/yankees-injuries-and-roster-moves
Wolfer79
Rodon scheduled to start tonight vs Nationals

705pm 1st pitch
Yankee Stadium
TheStorm
gopack1979 said:

Every game he gets no run support. I don't really watch MLB until the playoffs. Do the Yankees suck that bad this year?
Yes, unfortunately they do... but Carlos has been injured the bulk of the year AND he has a 6.27 ERA, so kind of hard to say that his results have been due to no run support.
Wolfer79
Tuesday vs Nationals

6.0 innings
22 batters faced
68 pitches, 41 strikes
6 hits, 1 home run, 1 double
1 run, earned
0 walks
1 strike out
3 ground outs, 4 fly outs

no decision
1-4, 6.27 ERA

Rodn twirled six strong innings of one-run ball, with Carter Kieboom's solo home run in the third the only damage against him. It was the longest outing of the southpaw's pinstriped tenure, and he did it in just 68 pitches (41 strikes). It was also tied for the fewest runs he has allowed among his seven starts, matching his Subway Series debut on July 26, when he earned his only win.

Rodn, who missed the minimum 15 days on the injured list with a left hamstring strain, wasn't built up to go more than four or so innings, but his ability to weave in and out of danger against an aggressive Nats lineup kept his pitch count down and kept the Yankees in it.

"Listen, the guys in this room are the guys we got, and we have a job to do. We just have to trust in each other and go out there and play baseball," Rodn said. "We just got to put our nose in the ground and go. We gotta go. That's it. There's nothing else to it. This is what we've got."

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/carlos-rodon-shines-but-yankees-lose-ninth-in-a-row

Wolfer79
Rodon scheduled to pitch Sunday in Tampa versus Rays
140pm start
Wolfer79
griff17matt
Carlos finally looking a bit like last year. Hope he puts together something to finish out the year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.