NC State Baseball Update from Woodson/Corrigan

24,815 Views | 211 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JCooke93
ST82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DrummerboyWolf said:

Wolfpack1724 said:

jadawson said:

It doesn't appear that we even get any directors cup points for our baseball finish. The final standings from today just says "COVID" even though top 4 was guaranteed.

Twist the knife why don't ya...

I wondered if that would be the case - what would a 4th place give us in the directors cup total? When I saw we were 23rd I felt sure something like this was a possibility. We were just like 11th in the last update I believe.
We should get no worse than a tie for 3rd. Anything else and the NCAA is really trying to shaft us again.
Just for clarification, NCAA is not in charge of the Director's Cup. From the website:

The Learfield IMG College Directors' Cup was developed as a joint effort between the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) and USA Today. Points are awarded based on each institution's finish in NCAA Championships. Complete standings and the scoring structure can be found on NACDA's website at www.directorscup.org.

This rule is why we only got 5 points:

COVID-19

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and/or weather-related cancellations, institutions that earned a spot in an NCAA championship, but were unable to compete received 5 points.

I do not agree with giving us only 5 points. We were able to compete and should be given the points for finishing in the top 4.

PackFansXL
ST82 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

We should get no worse than a tie for 3rd. Anything else and the NCAA is really trying to shaft us again.
Just for clarification, NCAA is not in charge of the Director's Cup. From the website:

The Learfield IMG College Directors' Cup was developed as a joint effort between the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) and USA Today. Points are awarded based on each institution's finish in NCAA Championships. Complete standings and the scoring structure can be found on NACDA's website at www.directorscup.org.

COVID-19

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and/or weather-related cancellations, institutions that earned a spot in an NCAA championship, but were unable to compete received 5 points.

I do not agree with giving us only 5 points. We were able to compete and should be given the points for finishing in the top 4.
Unable to compete or unable to finish. They've chosen a CYA interpretation of the rules at best and a vindictive interpretation at worst. The NCAA and NACDA are incompetent or corrupt. Neither is desirable. The NCAA should be disbanded and the NACDA should be embarrassed. The travesty continues.
DrummerboyWolf
ST82 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Wolfpack1724 said:

jadawson said:

It doesn't appear that we even get any directors cup points for our baseball finish. The final standings from today just says "COVID" even though top 4 was guaranteed.

Twist the knife why don't ya...

I wondered if that would be the case - what would a 4th place give us in the directors cup total? When I saw we were 23rd I felt sure something like this was a possibility. We were just like 11th in the last update I believe.

COVID-19

Just more organizations trying to sweep this fiasco under the rug. I am just as livid as I was about 162 hours ago when I saw the announcement. Total crap.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
St8pack
James Henderson said:

jmepack said:

James Henderson said:

jmepack said:

James Henderson said:

jmepack said:

James Henderson said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

James Henderson said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

James Henderson said:

Packchem91 said:

James Henderson said:

Steve Videtich said:

Again, I understand the rules are what they are. The issue I have is when 4 vaccinated players tested positive. That should've set off alarms for the ncaa and the health department. Either 1) there was an issue with the testing process, or 2) there is now an unforeseen problem with a variant that should've had the ncaa testing everyone on every team. They could have people participating in the finals now that are positive.

If it had turned out we were the only ones, I can live with that as crap luck. If there were other teams with vaccinated positives, that would've changed the entire narrative for everyone involved, including the ncaa. But, we'll never get that answer.
I don't think they tested other vaccinated players (although they may have for Vandy) because the other teams gave them no reason to do so if that makes sense.

They are going to assume (right or wrong) the outbreak was limited to NC State.
I doubt they really wanted to test those other teams guys either. If 4/14 can test positive....who knows who else might get popped...so, to your point, since this was never really about safety, if the team didn't give them a reason, stay away from opening up pandora's box.

Part of why I think they were trying to encourage teams to bring vaxxed players in first place.
Katherine Johnston said in a story yesterday that Reid had gotten Covid in February and still had the antibodies so did not get the vaccine. He never tested positive. I am sure we have others just like that. Forcing people to vaccinate is not right James. The NCAA screwed the pooch on this one by testing the vaccinated players who were of no danger to anybody.

Who is forcing someone to get vaccinated?

The NCAA said clearly in their rules with an outbreak they can now test everyone.

That wasn't new to State. You don't see boo/Woodson complaining about that; they knew it ahead of time.
You don't see them complaining because they are week and status quo guys. Don't want to rock the apple cart.

If the NCAA was encouraging players to be vaxxed, then they are in a way forcing your hand. If you think for one minute we had everybody vaxxed but still had one player with symptoms, they wouldn't have still thrown us out then I do have some ocean front property in Kansas I would like to sell you. The NCAA panicked and then try to cover up in the middle of the night. We had enough players to play that were not positive.
Yep, the NCAA was going to do everything they can to prevent NC State from winning a CWS title. That was apparently the goal.

I just don't think that way, but I guess I'm in the minority. Unfortunately, over the years I"ve seen State do enough themselves to prevent it from happening, although I thought this time would be different.

There was no way they were going to let State take the field with 8 players and rising having tested positive over a 3-day period. It just wasn't happening. If you think that's b/c it was NC State and not some other team, I just have to disagree.
"8 players and rising...." Have we had other players test positive since returning? Last I read we had not had any more positives. Basically the NCAA said a negative test was worth nothing and "contract tracing" effectively eliminated us. However, have we had any more positives?
No clue who all is still being tested given State's eliminated and players can go home.

Here is how I read the timeline.
Player A tests positive during the team testing on Tuesday. His roomate, Player B, tests negative at that testing but is quarantined.
Wednesday, Player B is tested and tests negative.
Thursday, Player B is tested and tests negative along with the rest of the team. Remember, at this point, the rest of th team/staff is still around each other.
Friday AM, Player B finally tests positive. That's 3 days after being away from Player A and while having posted 3 negative tests. Also, two other players/staff show up with symptoms and test positive.

Now you're sitting here Friday around 11/12 and NC State has 4 positives, including two new positives from players/staff who weren't quarantined. Who were they around the last 2-3 days? Don't think you think this is where time/contact tracing comes into effect?

Also, the Player B scenario is exactly why you don't just "play the players with a negative test". It took him 4 days to test positive. Four. Health officials know that. They know the other State players need to continue being tested.

This is why for me, it's all pretty cut and dry. We ended up with 8 positives including six on Friday along. No, I don't think anyone is expecting NC State to play on Saturday, and the NCAA isn't going to pause the CWS so we can get our **** together.
I get Player B tested positive after 4 days. But we also had players around Player A, and B, who tested negative all week and still tested negative and continue to test negative. You can't just say due to one player finally testing positive the others automatically will. In reality you could argue the majority who tested negative are still testing negative, no?
BUt... you just had two more test positive on Friday. Who went to dinner with them Thursday night? Who were their roomates? It's not about guys automatically testing positive. It's you just don't know.

This is the one thing about COVID that seems to be the hardest for folks to grasp. I struggled with it before getting COVID as well. Once you've knowingly been around a COVID positive, an initial negative test or not means nothing.

And that is the part to me that is the grey area. A negative test should mean something. Hell, we are saying if you test negative you're not automatically cleared to play but if you test positive you're definitely out. It should work both ways. That's where the subjectivity comes into play.
I don't see any subjectivity. IMO, when you are around a positive with COVID, you basically test your way out of being positive. At least that's how I did it. I had multiple negative tests before finally testing positive.

But you are right a lot of people seem to view it the way you do. They are around an exposure, take 1 test, are negative, and never test again because they believe they were negative and good to go.

Health officials don't view it that way IMO, I know my doctor didn't and I assume those around the CWS don't either because they understand a positive test can lag (like we saw with Justice).

Mind you, we still haven't had a positive since returning home. Which means everyone but the 8 positives would have been fine to play.
I do'nt know what we've had or who is continuing to be tested, but I hope you're right. That's great for the remaining players if no one else tests positive.

It's just unfortunate that on Friday we wouldn't know that.

The NCAA implemented a "well, what if..." scenario when in reality, we could "well, what if.." anything in this life.
I think the NCAA did what they've consistently done throughout. Go ask Kevin Keatts how a positive was handled with the basketball team.

James, it's easy to see that you think all folks should be vaccinated. And Sadly, politics outweigh your view of NC State sports. That is difficult to watch.
jwpack
I keep seeing everyone say there was 8 players when there was 6 players and 2 other people connected to the team.
James Henderson
Staff
St8pack said:

James Henderson said:

jmepack said:

James Henderson said:

jmepack said:

James Henderson said:

jmepack said:

James Henderson said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

James Henderson said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

James Henderson said:

Packchem91 said:

James Henderson said:

Steve Videtich said:

Again, I understand the rules are what they are. The issue I have is when 4 vaccinated players tested positive. That should've set off alarms for the ncaa and the health department. Either 1) there was an issue with the testing process, or 2) there is now an unforeseen problem with a variant that should've had the ncaa testing everyone on every team. They could have people participating in the finals now that are positive.

If it had turned out we were the only ones, I can live with that as crap luck. If there were other teams with vaccinated positives, that would've changed the entire narrative for everyone involved, including the ncaa. But, we'll never get that answer.
I don't think they tested other vaccinated players (although they may have for Vandy) because the other teams gave them no reason to do so if that makes sense.

They are going to assume (right or wrong) the outbreak was limited to NC State.
I doubt they really wanted to test those other teams guys either. If 4/14 can test positive....who knows who else might get popped...so, to your point, since this was never really about safety, if the team didn't give them a reason, stay away from opening up pandora's box.

Part of why I think they were trying to encourage teams to bring vaxxed players in first place.
Katherine Johnston said in a story yesterday that Reid had gotten Covid in February and still had the antibodies so did not get the vaccine. He never tested positive. I am sure we have others just like that. Forcing people to vaccinate is not right James. The NCAA screwed the pooch on this one by testing the vaccinated players who were of no danger to anybody.

Who is forcing someone to get vaccinated?

The NCAA said clearly in their rules with an outbreak they can now test everyone.

That wasn't new to State. You don't see boo/Woodson complaining about that; they knew it ahead of time.
You don't see them complaining because they are week and status quo guys. Don't want to rock the apple cart.

If the NCAA was encouraging players to be vaxxed, then they are in a way forcing your hand. If you think for one minute we had everybody vaxxed but still had one player with symptoms, they wouldn't have still thrown us out then I do have some ocean front property in Kansas I would like to sell you. The NCAA panicked and then try to cover up in the middle of the night. We had enough players to play that were not positive.
Yep, the NCAA was going to do everything they can to prevent NC State from winning a CWS title. That was apparently the goal.

I just don't think that way, but I guess I'm in the minority. Unfortunately, over the years I"ve seen State do enough themselves to prevent it from happening, although I thought this time would be different.

There was no way they were going to let State take the field with 8 players and rising having tested positive over a 3-day period. It just wasn't happening. If you think that's b/c it was NC State and not some other team, I just have to disagree.
"8 players and rising...." Have we had other players test positive since returning? Last I read we had not had any more positives. Basically the NCAA said a negative test was worth nothing and "contract tracing" effectively eliminated us. However, have we had any more positives?
No clue who all is still being tested given State's eliminated and players can go home.

Here is how I read the timeline.
Player A tests positive during the team testing on Tuesday. His roomate, Player B, tests negative at that testing but is quarantined.
Wednesday, Player B is tested and tests negative.
Thursday, Player B is tested and tests negative along with the rest of the team. Remember, at this point, the rest of th team/staff is still around each other.
Friday AM, Player B finally tests positive. That's 3 days after being away from Player A and while having posted 3 negative tests. Also, two other players/staff show up with symptoms and test positive.

Now you're sitting here Friday around 11/12 and NC State has 4 positives, including two new positives from players/staff who weren't quarantined. Who were they around the last 2-3 days? Don't think you think this is where time/contact tracing comes into effect?

Also, the Player B scenario is exactly why you don't just "play the players with a negative test". It took him 4 days to test positive. Four. Health officials know that. They know the other State players need to continue being tested.

This is why for me, it's all pretty cut and dry. We ended up with 8 positives including six on Friday along. No, I don't think anyone is expecting NC State to play on Saturday, and the NCAA isn't going to pause the CWS so we can get our **** together.
I get Player B tested positive after 4 days. But we also had players around Player A, and B, who tested negative all week and still tested negative and continue to test negative. You can't just say due to one player finally testing positive the others automatically will. In reality you could argue the majority who tested negative are still testing negative, no?
BUt... you just had two more test positive on Friday. Who went to dinner with them Thursday night? Who were their roomates? It's not about guys automatically testing positive. It's you just don't know.

This is the one thing about COVID that seems to be the hardest for folks to grasp. I struggled with it before getting COVID as well. Once you've knowingly been around a COVID positive, an initial negative test or not means nothing.

And that is the part to me that is the grey area. A negative test should mean something. Hell, we are saying if you test negative you're not automatically cleared to play but if you test positive you're definitely out. It should work both ways. That's where the subjectivity comes into play.
I don't see any subjectivity. IMO, when you are around a positive with COVID, you basically test your way out of being positive. At least that's how I did it. I had multiple negative tests before finally testing positive.

But you are right a lot of people seem to view it the way you do. They are around an exposure, take 1 test, are negative, and never test again because they believe they were negative and good to go.

Health officials don't view it that way IMO, I know my doctor didn't and I assume those around the CWS don't either because they understand a positive test can lag (like we saw with Justice).

Mind you, we still haven't had a positive since returning home. Which means everyone but the 8 positives would have been fine to play.
I do'nt know what we've had or who is continuing to be tested, but I hope you're right. That's great for the remaining players if no one else tests positive.

It's just unfortunate that on Friday we wouldn't know that.

The NCAA implemented a "well, what if..." scenario when in reality, we could "well, what if.." anything in this life.
I think the NCAA did what they've consistently done throughout. Go ask Kevin Keatts how a positive was handled with the basketball team.

James, it's easy to see that you think all folks should be vaccinated. And Sadly, politics outweigh your view of NC State sports. That is difficult to watch.
Really?

I have multiple family members who aren't vaccinated and I have no issue with it. I'm not sure how you can read anything I post and judge me politically since I don't give a **** about politics or what other people choose to do.
James Henderson
Staff
jwpack said:

I keep seeing everyone say there was 8 players when there was 6 players and 2 other people connected to the team.
Woodson said it was 8 players and multiple other reports did as well. They could be wrong, but that's what I'm going on.
DrummerboyWolf
Bas2020 said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

waxhaw said:

How about writing an article about what the ncaa could have done differently..or how the ncaa contradicted itself when it said it followed local health guidelines? Or facts about players testing negative, and still not being allowed to play. Maybe interview some player families.

Maybe that would be interesting to nc state fans. the narrative that the ncaa followed the letter of the law and we somehow did something wrong only makes sense in a world where the ncaa follows their own rules.

Or how nearly 30% of vaccinated players supposedly tested positive for the virus. A stat that is seen nowhere else in the world.
Setting aside how this affected our team, which became "the story", I agree that this above result is the single biggest item out of this. The odds of that have to be astronomical.

So astronomical that almost none of the talking heads are questioning it. Wrap your head around that.

I saw WRAL do a report last night on tv.

They brought on a supposed medical expert. The claimed 8 State players/support staff have Covid.

WRAL reporter: How would you prevent this from happening?

Expert: Well, I would have told those 8 players to get vaccinated!

WRAL: Sounds great! Thanks for your expertise.

LOL. Zero mention that 4 of them were indeed vaccinated.

WRAL also said Texas and Vandy were 100% fully vaccinated which is also a lie.

WRAL then went on to supposedly quote , Boo and said "Even NC State's AD has said that the NCAA did everything 100% correct in this matter."

Ive stated my dislike for the political grandstanding going on at WRAL but to outright lie
or bend the truth even on "sports stories" is just mindboggling.

I was screaming at the TV when Keeley somebody said that Vanderbilt and Texas were fully vaccinated. They keep saying 8 players and it's not. It just follows the path that WRAL has gone the whole time during the pandemic. WRAL's totally lack of good reporting is despicable.
JCooke93
Wral better be lie about boo agreeing
JCooke93
Also We all know that Wral hates us for some reason
aqasaw234
texas coach on record saying 95% team vaccinated back in april
Wolfpack
aqasaw234 said:

So if the 5% test positive, they'd test the vaccinated 95%, find more positives, and kick them out right?
James Henderson
Staff
Wolfpack said:

aqasaw234 said:

So if the 5% test positive, they'd test the vaccinated 95%, find more positives, and kick them out right?
Yes if they were to have multiple positives the NCAA could choose to test all vaccinnated as well.

Notice the NCAA didn't start testing State's vaccinated players just after Player 1 for State tested positive. It wasn't until after 4 total positives because they didn't deem one player an outbreak.

But I'm not sure why it matters, Texas apparently never had anyone test positive, at least that we know of, while in Omaha.
JCooke93
More stuff will be coming out
aqasaw234
i assume they're trying to make the argument that wral/media is exaggerating # of vaccinated players on other teams in omaha in an attempt to paint state in a bad light.
Trickynic1
JC I know Ncsu was suppose to get alot of the J&J vaccine- then it was pulled for a period of time.
My problem is why didn't the NCAA test all the unvaccinated players at team breakfast at 630 am.
Test results would have been in for a better decision on Friday game.
Lagniappe
JCooke93 said:

When?
Packamylase
JCooke93 said:

Would you care to elaborate, even in generalities and scope?
aqasaw234
Trickynic1 said:

JC I know Ncsu was suppose to get alot of the J&J vaccine- then it was pulled for a period of time.
My problem is why didn't the NCAA test all the unvaccinated players at team breakfast at 630 am.
Test results would have been in for a better decision on Friday game.

Friday wasn't a scheduled test day for us. Everyone not named JT had passed the day before. We were good to go. Friday morning, we sent two players/support staff (idk why that hasn't been 100% cleared up by now) over to the marriott testing site because they were showing symptoms.
Pocketflask
JCooke93 said:

Manalishi? Is that you?
Bell Tower Grey
Lagniappe said:

JCooke93 said:

When?
By Friday. Remember?
DrummerboyWolf
Any word on how J. T. Jarrett or Evan Justice are coming along? Anybody else have any symptoms that require quarantine?
Packsd14me
DrummerboyWolf said:

Any word on how J. T. Jarrett or Evan Justice are coming along? Anybody else have any symptoms that require quarantine?
I spoke with a club rep about football tickets this morning and asked him the more general question "did anyone really get sick? How was the health of the guys?"

His answer was only two guys had minor symptoms and everyone else, as far as he knew it, was fine.
Wlfpackamk
Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

I spoke with a club rep about football tickets this morning and asked him the more general question "did anyone really get sick? How was the health of the guys?"

His answer was only two guys had minor symptoms and everyone else, as far as he knew it, was fine.
Color me shocked.
DrummerboyWolf
Wlfpackamk said:

Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Color me shocked.
Well imagine that. Only 2 out of 27 with fairly mild symptoms.. Now I am even more mad than I was.
JCooke93
Knew it
JCooke93
They are fine
DrummerboyWolf
JCooke93 said:

They are fine
Thanks for the update.
JCooke93
No problem only 2 people have it now but they are Ok
BobbyCox95
DrummerboyWolf said:

Wlfpackamk said:

Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Color me shocked.
Well imagine that. Only 2 out of 27 with fairly mild symptoms.. Now I am even more mad than I was.
Has anyone checked the status of the ~22000 fans that attended all the games? Seems reasonable that they should all be tested and contact traced etc.

This is about health and safety afterall.............right?
CLTWolf
BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Wlfpackamk said:

Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Color me shocked.
Has anyone checked the status of the ~22000 fans that attended all the games? Seems reasonable that they should all be tested and contact traced etc.

I am good. I just came down with a summer cold sinus infection bug today so maybe it's a good idea I don't test just yet but I am vaxxed and feelin' fine.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Steve Videtich
BobbyCox95 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Wlfpackamk said:

Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Color me shocked.

Everyone was given a 90 day pass as long as they drank from the beer shoe.
Wolfpack
Now you're seeing a crap ton of different athletic events be affected by the delta variant. Yet we (as a society) still haven't updated our protocols to disassociate cases with deaths. The only reasonable way is to rely on vaccination.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31784955/sources-immanuel-quickley-miles-bridges-pj-washington-team-usa-training-camp-due-protocols

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/31783516/covid-19-outbreak-tyson-fury-camp-jeopardizing-fight-vs-deontay-wilder-sources-say

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31782801/spectators-barred-tokyo-olympics-venues-amid-japan-covid-19-state-emergency
JCooke93
They are fine
Bell Tower Grey
Wolfpack said:

Now you're seeing a crap ton of different athletic events be affected by the delta variant. Yet we (as a society) still haven't updated our protocols to disassociate cases with deaths. The only reasonable way is to rely on vaccination.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31784955/sources-immanuel-quickley-miles-bridges-pj-washington-team-usa-training-camp-due-protocols

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/31783516/covid-19-outbreak-tyson-fury-camp-jeopardizing-fight-vs-deontay-wilder-sources-say

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31782801/spectators-barred-tokyo-olympics-venues-amid-japan-covid-19-state-emergency
Please just stop. It's a personal decision. Respect it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.