NC State Baseball Update from Woodson/Corrigan

24,767 Views | 211 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JCooke93
pack95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aqasaw234 said:

podcast, brother. it's a good listen, and you'll know exactly where all 3 (james, rob, ethan) stand.

james: on us, we knew the rules
rob: both sides deserve blame
ethan: f*** the ncaa

I don't do podcasts, but if that is James's stance that tells me what I need to know.
aqasaw234
pack95 said:

James Henderson said:

Jmnorris said:

Im sure this has been covered already in one if several threads but what is the general reaction to the ncaa breaking protocol and testing vaccinated players?
They didn't break protocol. It was in the rules sent out.

So how about the fact the CDC guidelines don't call for contact tracing for folks that have been vaccinated? I guess if they set their own rules, that makes it okay?

i doubt you'll find anyone who doesn't agree that their rules are outdated and should be more closely aligned with CDC guidelines. that absolutely makes sense.

but bottom line is their tournament, their rules. and bull**** rules are still rules. playing in their tournament means we're agreeing to abide by their rules and protocol.
jadawson
aqasaw234 said:

pack95 said:

James Henderson said:

Jmnorris said:

Im sure this has been covered already in one if several threads but what is the general reaction to the ncaa breaking protocol and testing vaccinated players?

So how about the fact the CDC guidelines don't call for contact tracing for folks that have been vaccinated? I guess if they set their own rules, that makes it okay?

i doubt you'll find anyone who doesn't agree that their rules are outdated and should be more closely aligned with CDC guidelines. that absolutely makes sense.

but bottom line is their tournament, their rules. and bull**** rules are still rules. playing in their tournament means we're agreeing to abide by their rules and protocol.
Yep. The rules dont make a ton of sense to me, but that doesnt change the fact that they are the rules and that we knew them going in. We did the same things the other teams did, we just got really unlucky that we are the party that had the positive tests.
Lagniappe
Mad, exhausted, but is there any reason to be either? Does anything ever change for NC State? I'm beginning to think it doesn't. I guess it's true we used up future years of good things in '83.
Lagniappe
Lagniappe said:

Mad, exhausted, but is there any reason to be either? Does anything ever change for NC State? I'm beginning to think it doesn't. I guess it's true we used up many future years of good things in '83.
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER
pack95 said:

waxhaw said:

If a vaccinated player with COVID is so dangerous to other athletes in their 20s, why not test all of them? Does anyone really think Miss St or Vandy wouldn't pop a few positives also?

There may not have been anything we could do but you can at least seem upset. Geez.

Please stop using logic in your reasoning.
6 ft for more than 15 minutes.......that is the timeline for contact tracing.....if that did not happen then those people do not need to be tested....
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER
jadawson said:

aqasaw234 said:

pack95 said:

James Henderson said:

Jmnorris said:

Yep. The rules dont make a ton of sense to me, but that doesnt change the fact that they are the rules and that we knew them going in. We did the same things the other teams did, we just got really unlucky that we are the party that had the positive tests.
bingo
packgrad
I expect all of the rules follower guys not to post complaining about any calls in games moving forward. The rules say the officials make the calls. We know the rules going into the games. We may not like the officials but rules are rules!!!!
Bas2020
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER said:

jadawson said:

aqasaw234 said:

pack95 said:

James Henderson said:

Jmnorris said:

bingo

The rules for contact tracing were not followed they were assumed . They lumped all non vaxxed players into contact tracing regardless of exposure .

That is grounds for a discrimination lawsuit.
DrummerboyWolf
Thought I would post this here too. Mississippi State pounded Vanderbilt 13-2 last night, so there will be game three. GO BULLDOGS!!!
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
James Henderson
Staff
Packchem91 said:

James Henderson said:

Steve Videtich said:

Again, I understand the rules are what they are. The issue I have is when 4 vaccinated players tested positive. That should've set off alarms for the ncaa and the health department. Either 1) there was an issue with the testing process, or 2) there is now an unforeseen problem with a variant that should've had the ncaa testing everyone on every team. They could have people participating in the finals now that are positive.

If it had turned out we were the only ones, I can live with that as crap luck. If there were other teams with vaccinated positives, that would've changed the entire narrative for everyone involved, including the ncaa. But, we'll never get that answer.
I don't think they tested other vaccinated players (although they may have for Vandy) because the other teams gave them no reason to do so if that makes sense.

They are going to assume (right or wrong) the outbreak was limited to NC State.
I doubt they really wanted to test those other teams guys either. If 4/14 can test positive....who knows who else might get popped...so, to your point, since this was never really about safety, if the team didn't give them a reason, stay away from opening up pandora's box.

Part of why I think they were trying to encourage teams to bring vaxxed players in first place.
James Henderson
Staff
pack95 said:

James Henderson said:

Jmnorris said:

So, just to be clear James, you feel everything dealing with us being eliminated from the CWS was on the up and up, correct? I am just trying to determine where you stand on this.

Why do I have to stand anywhere? I think my comment above is pretty clear.

Every team there was given a set of rules. State had issues relative to them and it reached a point where they had to go home.

When I give my kids guidelines and they break them, I don't punish myself or blame myself for them breaking them.

I'm not a fan of the NCAA, trust me, but in this situation I don't really see what I should be very upset at them about. The timing of the release? Lol, it doesn't matter to me if I'm sent home at 2am or 9am. He'll at 2 maybe it gives me a jump start on travel plans.

My issue with the NCAA could have been the initial guidelines in the first place, but if so, I should have been crying about those 6 weeks ago.
DrummerboyWolf
James Henderson said:

Packchem91 said:

James Henderson said:

Steve Videtich said:

Again, I understand the rules are what they are. The issue I have is when 4 vaccinated players tested positive. That should've set off alarms for the ncaa and the health department. Either 1) there was an issue with the testing process, or 2) there is now an unforeseen problem with a variant that should've had the ncaa testing everyone on every team. They could have people participating in the finals now that are positive.

If it had turned out we were the only ones, I can live with that as crap luck. If there were other teams with vaccinated positives, that would've changed the entire narrative for everyone involved, including the ncaa. But, we'll never get that answer.
I don't think they tested other vaccinated players (although they may have for Vandy) because the other teams gave them no reason to do so if that makes sense.

I doubt they really wanted to test those other teams guys either. If 4/14 can test positive....who knows who else might get popped...so, to your point, since this was never really about safety, if the team didn't give them a reason, stay away from opening up pandora's box.

Part of why I think they were trying to encourage teams to bring vaxxed players in first place.
Katherine Johnston said in a story yesterday that Reid had gotten Covid in February and still had the antibodies so did not get the vaccine. He never tested positive. I am sure we have others just like that. Forcing people to vaccinate is not right James. The NCAA screwed the pooch on this one by testing the vaccinated players who were of no danger to anybody.
waxhaw
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER said:

pack95 said:

waxhaw said:

If a vaccinated player with COVID is so dangerous to other athletes in their 20s, why not test all of them? Does anyone really think Miss St or Vandy wouldn't pop a few positives also?

There may not have been anything we could do but you can at least seem upset. Geez.

6 ft for more than 15 minutes.......that is the timeline for contact tracing.....if that did not happen then those people do not need to be tested....
None of them should need to be tested. If you play a game against Vanderbilt and there is no 6 foot for 15 minutes, so they don't get tested, why does it matter? Why can't you play a second game? Especially if you tested negative? The whole thing is ridiculous.

As for those of you saying the rules are the rules. There are tons of rules that get pushed back on for stupidity. Why do we roll over and take it vs fighting like other schools? Does anyone think UNC followed the rules in the cheating scandal? Find a loophole and let your best team ever play for the national championship. Grow a pair of balls and call out the hypocrisy. Stand up against contact tracing rules that make no sense.

Fact is we didnt because it is politically incorrect to say anything about COVID or contact tracing.
James Henderson
Staff
DrummerboyWolf said:

James Henderson said:

Packchem91 said:

James Henderson said:

Steve Videtich said:

Katherine Johnston said in a story yesterday that Reid had gotten Covid in February and still had the antibodies so did not get the vaccine. He never tested positive. I am sure we have others just like that. Forcing people to vaccinate is not right James. The NCAA screwed the pooch on this one by testing the vaccinated players who were of no danger to anybody.

Who is forcing someone to get vaccinated?

The NCAA said clearly in their rules with an outbreak they can now test everyone.

That wasn't new to State. You don't see boo/Woodson complaining about that; they knew it ahead of time.
James Henderson
Staff
Bas2020 said:

BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER said:

jadawson said:

aqasaw234 said:

pack95 said:

James Henderson said:

Jmnorris said:

bingo

The rules for contact tracing were not followed they were assumed . They lumped all non vaxxed players into contact tracing regardless of exposure .

That is grounds for a discrimination lawsuit.

I think State was prepared to play Friday with just the two initials out; prob felt by that point (and after two neg tests) they had the contact tracing figured out.

Then you have two more test positive Friday am who haven't been Quarantined. What should the health officials do? Not care about contact tracing? They aren't going to operate that way.

Do you think the NCAA wanted all this to happen?
James Henderson
Staff
pack95 said:

James Henderson said:

Jmnorris said:

Brother I'm not disagreeing with you on the guidelines; I don't see why you'd test vacccinated players either.

But... they told us this would happen. It's not new.
caryking
Whether you change the outcome or not, you at least fight. NC State leadership reminds me of Mitch McConnell. Try to take the high-road and get walked all over. It appears they care more about their personal statue in society than the University paying them large sums of money.

Sometimes, you need to be crappy and just show it... as been stated, in a previous post, buy the kids a damn ticket (or use the tickets from State fans that left and came home) and have them sit in the stands wearing their hats.

That may cause the NCAA to frown upon us; but, who the hell cares anymore? We all know the system is rigged for the blue bloods. It's time to take back control from the elites!
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Bagman
I do find it interesting that no one seems to be concerned about the health of the infected players. Tells you that both sides of the issue understand that they will be completely fine.
packgrad
Bagman said:

I do find it interesting that no one seems to be concerned about the health of the infected players. Tells you that both sides of the issue understand that they will be completely fine.

Yep. But the rules say we care about the health and safety of players and fans. Rules, yay!!!
DrummerboyWolf
James Henderson said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

James Henderson said:

Packchem91 said:

James Henderson said:

Steve Videtich said:

Who is forcing someone to get vaccinated?

The NCAA said clearly in their rules with an outbreak they can now test everyone.

That wasn't new to State. You don't see boo/Woodson complaining about that; they knew it ahead of time.
You don't see them complaining because they are week and status quo guys. Don't want to rock the apple cart.

If the NCAA was encouraging players to be vaxxed, then they are in a way forcing your hand. If you think for one minute we had everybody vaxxed but still had one player with symptoms, they wouldn't have still thrown us out then I do have some ocean front property in Kansas I would like to sell you. The NCAA panicked and then try to cover up in the middle of the night. We had enough players to play that were not positive.
wilmwolf
One thing I know is that James is not going to change what he thinks. Arguing with him is like arguing with a fence post, he's not going to move. Personally, I think he's very wrong with his interpretation of events and the blame he wants to put on people under the circumstance, but I'm not going to keep arguing with him about it. In this case, as happens frequently when the NCAA is involved, it's not about the rules, it's about how the rules were interpreted and applied, that is bringing the ire of NC State fans. That ire is justified in this case, and similarly, you aren't going to change my mind about that.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Travis84
WilmingtonPackman777 said:

jadawson said:

This is not a defense of Corrigan or how he has handled the past few days. I just have a genuine question as to what people think would have changed if he was more public/more angry or whatever people are wanting for a response?

He could have confirmed directly that Douglas Co Health Dept did not recommend State be removed from the tournament as NCAA incorrectly stated.
He could have publicly told the NCAA to hold off and made sure there were no false positives.
He could have questioned why most of NC State's team was allowed to fly home on an airplane, but not play in a baseball game outside.
He could have questioned why the NCAA allowed 20,000+ unmasked fans to watch a game, but wouldn't let all State players testing negative to play in the game.
He could have requested support from the public, MLB players and Nebraska politicians.

The NCAA is no different than any politician, they will bend based on a narrative.

NC State's "leadership" did none of those things.

Spot on.
packgrad
I sure hope our rules followers don't get upset or call for change about play calling, player rotations, depth charts, etc. Rules say the coaching staff makes those decisions, not fans. Rules are rules!!
Bas2020
The obvious problem i have with this is ;

Back in the Fall with COVID at its peak the NCAA in connection with college medical personel established contact tracing by GPS etc or position groups, roomates, classmates, family members etc. They went through the steps to see who falls into that category.

When Trevor Lawrence got Covid they didnt lump the entire football team into contact tracing.

When the State baseball player and staff member got Covid they DID lump the entire team into contact tracing under the guise of they "havent been vaccinated". Well in the fall NOBODY had been vaccinated either so what in the world is the difference.

The NCAA jumped the freaking GUN at 2am in the morning instead of retracing steps to see who had in fact been within 6 feet of player X for over 15+ minutes.

Everyone was proven guilty without proper investigation to see if they were exposed.

A proper response would be to make the 6 players sit out and most likely 3-4 more that fell into contact tracing.

That would have left State with more than enough guys to play the game on Sat.

IF it was about cough cough "safety" they would also be asking the questions ... WHY TF did 4 guys with the magic vaccine still test positive??? Somehow nobody seemed to care about that and wonder why?

This isnt about Covid... its about compliance of a set of absurd rules . Not about safety... its about bowing down to the NCAA and the government when they say so.
Packchem91
DrummerboyWolf said:

Thought I would post this here too. Mississippi State pounded Vanderbilt 13-2 last night, so there will be game three. GO BULLDOGS!!!
All of America is right there with you Hail State.
Packchem91
waxhaw said:

BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER said:

pack95 said:

waxhaw said:

None of them should need to be tested. If you play a game against Vanderbilt and there is no 6 foot for 15 minutes, so they don't get tested, why does it matter? Why can't you play a second game? Especially if you tested negative? The whole thing is ridiculous.

As for those of you saying the rules are the rules. There are tons of rules that get pushed back on for stupidity. Why do we roll over and take it vs fighting like other schools? Does anyone think UNC followed the rules in the cheating scandal? Find a loophole and let your best team ever play for the national championship. Grow a pair of balls and call out the hypocrisy. Stand up against contact tracing rules that make no sense.

Fact is we didnt because it is politically incorrect to say anything about COVID or contact tracing.
Personally, I think that boldened part is 100% correct. Baseball is primarily a socially distanced game, at least to the point the CDC references. The argument should have been to convince the deciding committee of that part....but I don't think, sadly, the NCAA would have changed.
Whatever its motivations, I don't think they were going to slide that direction (probably you call it with your last comment about the politics of it).

Our vaccinated guys are not supposed to be able to spread it (thats what we are told, right?). Or, even out of abundant caution, keep them out; everyone else is negative and cleared to play, and you'll keep monitoring all teams for sick players.
caryking
Who else is tired of the sayings: socially distance and contact tracing

I know I sure as hell am...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Wolfpack
Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

It's ridiculous that a team with that sharp of a drop off in their pitching staff is in the final. Eye roll. Their offense is also trash and their defense makes two mistakes a game.
St8pack
waxhaw said:

BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER said:

pack95 said:

waxhaw said:

This is absolutely spot on and I couldn't agree more. The entire thing is ridiculous. It's appalling that so many just accept it because "it's the rules". Until our Leadership cares about sports like they do in chapel hell, nothing will change. And until our fans are united, we may never get that type leadership either.
Right now, you have a moderator on IPS that controls the narrative saying " just accept it, we broke the rules. Should have gotten vaxxed."
And you have others saying " lawyer up, fight this thing like UNC would, don't force our kids to get a shot that's not FDA approved"
What a split fanbase we have on this issue.
And that sucks.
Bas2020
Yeah.... I dont get the "follow the rules" crowd without questioning the absurdity of the rule.

James hates the "block charge rule" in basketball but doesnt blame our coaches and players for not learning and executing the art of the flop.

IF the rule in public schools was for your child to sit in a school closet 30 min per day would you say "well those are the rules"... or would your question/fight it?

UNC broke every rule imaginable with the NCAA and fought it.....since when do NCAA rules matter ?

You think this "July 1" transfer portal rule is going to be a rule that is followed? Let's sit back and watch....
Packchem91
Wolfpack said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

It's ridiculous that a team with that sharp of a drop off in their pitching staff is in the final. Eye roll. Their offense is also trash and their defense makes two mistakes a game.
I have been surprised how weak their offense has been (so therefore surprised they scored so many in G1).

They do have a clutch gene, which comes with winning, and they have 2 aces. 2 aces will carry you a long way in CBB (or MLB).

But...after watching they and MSU...man, we were playing the best as a team, and we had 3/4 starters, adn would have won this thing.
bgr3
pineknollshoresking said:

Who else is tired of the sayings: socially distance and contact tracing

I know I sure as hell am...
I, too, am tired of things that are a waste of our time.

6ft rule is and always was BS and surveillance is bad, these are common sense, not so common anymore.
WilmingtonPackman777
aqasaw234 said:

aqasaw234 said:

^What do mean? The NCAA's brief public statement said State was removed from the CWS based on the NCAA medical team and the recommendation of the Douglas Co Health Dept.

We know the Douglas Co Health Dept never made this recommendation.

Edit: I may be misunderstanding your post

Do you really understand the DCHD role in all of this?

FACT: They did not recommend our removal

FALSE: They were advocating for NC State

FALSE: They disagreed with NCAA decision

DCHD wanted ZERO part of making a decision on this matter, either way. They weren't going to weigh in. They were simply going to support whatever decision the NCAA ultimately made.

A lot of folks are misinterpreting DCHD comments. Yeah, the NCAA got caught trying to be slick with that "recommendation" press release, but at the end of the day it's of no real significance.

Who said the DCHD were advocating for State? I clearly stated the NCAA's statement saying DCHD recommended State being removed from the CWS was not accurate (FACT) and considering that was a key rationale in the NCAA's brief statement, that should be questioned (FACT).

I'm just reading between the lines. Whomever wrote that press release just had "brain fart" moment. Doesn't mean the press release was a flat out lie. DCHD agreed with the NCAA, but emphasized to them they couldn't be on record officially recommending our removal since there was no local mandate in place.

I never said it was a lie, I said it was incorrect and it should have been publicly questioned, like many other things in this mess.
aqasaw234
packgrad said:

I sure hope our rules followers don't get upset or call for change about play calling, player rotations, depth charts, etc. Rules say the coaching staff makes those decisions, not fans. Rules are rules!!

lol what the hell ?

FWIW that's absolutely not a rule. feel free to yell out your own play call to the team or demand a player rotation/substitution. there's nothing that says you can't do that. good luck getting anyone to listen to you though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.