Scouting Vanderbilt -- CWS Game 2 -- 6/21, 7 p.m.

50,488 Views | 579 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wolfer79
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bigeric said:

" 'One pitch, one pitch,' Commodores' coach Tim Corbin said afterward. 'It sucks.'

Or as Leiter said, 'I guess you could say that every pitch matters.' "

Hey coach, shouldn't that be "one run" ?
tau06
smitt86 said:

You don't play for Saturday IMO.

Win Friday, and start whatever pitcher gives you the best chance at that. Personally, I'd start Reid and hope to have him back for the 3rd game in the finals if it came to that.

Win Friday, hope the other series needs a game on Sat, and you honestly couldn't be in a better position in terms of bullpen usage in a CWS.
100% don't play for saturday. Just so happens that our best option and way to win on Friday is Willadson/Villamen IMO. And it sets you up best for the anything after. Easy decision IMO.
Kmcpack
tau06 said:

johntom said:

EthanBarry said:

What a win. Go Stanford

Might be a stupid question but why go Stanford? Seems like their lineup and rotation is deeper than Vandy. If Vandy has to pitch anyone but their top 2 guys they would be an easier game I would think. Either one is still going to be a tough out.
I wat Stanford 100% because I don't think they pitch Rocker or Leiter on Wednesday. If they win, that means you got to beat both of those guys with them having basically full rest. No thanks. I'll take Stanford having Beck for one game and then whoever is second if we lose against Beck in a game on Friday vs having to beat both the Vandy dudes. I'll take our bats and arms over whoever Stanford trots out there who isn't Beck.

Would only have to beat one of vandy's pitchers. Only need 1 win to advance.
DrummerboyWolf
I think we should go with Matt Willadsen and Chris Villamin on Friday. It will be 12 days since they have pitched in a game and they might not be sharp off the bat. We are going to need them later. If we lose then you have Reid ready for Saturday on full rest.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
tau06
Kmcpack said:

tau06 said:

johntom said:

EthanBarry said:

What a win. Go Stanford

Might be a stupid question but why go Stanford? Seems like their lineup and rotation is deeper than Vandy. If Vandy has to pitch anyone but their top 2 guys they would be an easier game I would think. Either one is still going to be a tough out.
I wat Stanford 100% because I don't think they pitch Rocker or Leiter on Wednesday. If they win, that means you got to beat both of those guys with them having basically full rest. No thanks. I'll take Stanford having Beck for one game and then whoever is second if we lose against Beck in a game on Friday vs having to beat both the Vandy dudes. I'll take our bats and arms over whoever Stanford trots out there who isn't Beck.

Would only have to beat one of vandy's pitchers. Only need 1 win to advance.
Yep, only need 1 win either way against either. I'd rather have to (and think it's easier) beat Stanford 1 out of 2 with the arms they have than have to beat Vandy 1 out of 2 with them throwing Rocker and Leiter. It's a really easy call IMO honestly.
Riddickulous
tau06 said:

smitt86 said:

You don't play for Saturday IMO.

Win Friday, and start whatever pitcher gives you the best chance at that. Personally, I'd start Reid and hope to have him back for the 3rd game in the finals if it came to that.

Win Friday, hope the other series needs a game on Sat, and you honestly couldn't be in a better position in terms of bullpen usage in a CWS.
100% don't play for saturday. Just so happens that our best option and way to win on Friday is Willadson/Villamen IMO. And it sets you up best for the anything after. Easy decision IMO.

This is where I'm at too. The Willadsen / Villaman combo was better than Reid last week anyway, so why not give Reid the extra rest and make sure those other two don't get too rusty waiting their turn?
wilmwolf
bigeric said:

" 'One pitch, one pitch,' Commodores' coach Tim Corbin said afterward. 'It sucks.'

Did he at least give us credit at some point? Because that's kind crappy if not. Avent is always the first to praise the other team.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

bigeric said:

Did he at least give us credit at some point? Because that's kind crappy if not. Avent is always the first to praise the other team.
He said Highfill was great, and that it was an awesome game if you loved pitching, a horrible game if you loved hitting.

These were snippets from on twitter. But didn't see too many quotes from him, so don't know if he spent most of it praising, or most of it whining. Most old school baseball coaches, realizing that any one game can be dominated by a pitcher/hitter, are usually pretty good at praising....(I mean, either you praise the other pitcher, or say your guys sucked.....)

Agree with you on Avent -- he's a very gracious coach. Including comments about the opposing fans (the good folks of Reston and ARK were very well complimented)
WilmingtonPackman777
Haven't finished listening yet, but here it is;

https://www.tennessean.com/videos/sports/college/vanderbilt/2021/06/22/vanderbilt-baseball-press-conference-after-nc-state-game-2021-cws/5300898001/
WilmingtonPackman777
Vandy coach is salty, frustrated, but complimentary of Highfull - no doubt about that - but he's pissed they lost.
wilmwolf
Yeah, it seems to have gotten lost in some of the commentary about how well Leiter pitched the job that Highfill did. Highfill's teammate gave him a run, Leiter's teammates didn't.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packwest
wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah, it seems to have gotten lost in some of the commentary about how well Leiter pitched the job that Highfill did. Highfill's teammate gave him a run, Leiter's teammates didn't.
It's becoming a theme that the broadcast commentators spend an inordinate amount of time on the other team's world-beating ace...

Only to have that ace lose...

Last night's game was the first time I thought our team received any attention. It was non-existent in Arkansas.
DrummerboyWolf
bsorry11 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

It's becoming a theme that the broadcast commentators spend an inordinate amount of time on the other team's world-beating ace...

Only to have that ace lose...

Last night's game was the first time I thought our team received any attention. It was non-existent in Arkansas.
It's ok, Arkansas is non-existent now!
NCSUWolfPack92
Highfill interview on Packer and Durham this morning. https://vimeo.com/566167699
Packchem91
WilmingtonPackman777 said:

Vandy coach is salty, frustrated, but complimentary of Highfull - no doubt about that - but he's pissed they lost.

And p'd at some of the questions. He goes thru the whole thing of how effective Highfill was at making it difficult on them, amd the very next question is "so why did your offense struggle?"
cowboypack02

Can you blame the guy? He rolls out one of the best pitchers in the country and a very good Vandy offense, and he can't get two runs across the plate?

You don't expect your team to lose when your pitcher has these stats in a game: 15 Strikeouts, 4 Hits, 1 Earned Run. Leiter only gave of on hit until the 7th inning, and it happened to be a HR.

We'd be awfully unhappy about our offense as well if they wasted a great game by one of our pitchers as well.
FlockaWolf
Yeah the duke game not too long ago
DrummerboyWolf
cowboypack02 said:

Can you blame the guy? He rolls out one of the best pitchers in the country and a very good Vandy offense, and he can't get two runs across the plate?

You don't expect your team to lose when your pitcher has these stats in a game: 15 Strikeouts, 4 Hits, 1 Earned Run. Leiter only gave of on hit until the 7th inning, and it happened to be a HR.

We'd be awfully unhappy about our offense as well if they wasted a great game by one of our pitchers as well.

Back in 1988 I got to see Clemens pitch in Chicago against the White Sox( I had seen him in 1986 against the Orioles). After 8 innings he had given up one hit, a homer, struck out 15, and was losing 2-1. He ended up with a no decision as the Red Sox came back and won, but Clemens was magnificent and had made one mistake. It's baseball. Leiter pitched great, but not good enough.
cowboypack02
FlockaWolf said:

Yeah the duke game not too long ago
I had already locked that memory away in a little box to never cross my mind again
DrummerboyWolf
Back in 1959, Harvey Haddix of the Pittsburgh Pirates had a perfect game for 12 innings then lost it in the 13th. Baseball at it's finest.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/harvey-haddix-threw-12-perfect-innings-and-lost/c-126504134
WilmingtonPackman777
cowboypack02 said:

For sure - seemed quite pissed with his own team - even says they left Lieter on an island out there and he was making most of the outs by himself. He was definitely livid.
cowboypack02
DrummerboyWolf said:

cowboypack02 said:

Back in 1988 I got to see Clemens pitch in Chicago against the White Sox( I had seen him in 1986 against the Orioles). After 8 innings he had given up one hit, a homer, struck out 15, and was losing 2-1. He ended up with a no decision as the Red Sox came back and won, but Clemens was magnificent and had made one mistake. It's baseball. Leiter pitched great, but not good enough.
Clemens was an absolute monster in his prime. I won't ever forget watching him pick up the barrel of the broken bat and throwing it at Mike Piazza during the world series.
Oldsouljer
cowboypack02 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

cowboypack02 said:

Clemens was an absolute monster in his prime. I won't ever forget watching him pick up the barrel of the broken bat and throwing it at Mike Piazza during the world series.
I'd forgotten that episode, thanks for jogging my memory. But Schilling and Johnson were and are my all time favorite pitching duo back when they just stonewalled the Yankees out of a Pennant back in the early 2000s. The Yankees weren't accustomed to being dominated on the mound and it was a thrill to watch. IMO, Johnson earned his trip to Cooperstown for that series all by itself.
BeaufortCoPack
UVA rolling early
BigLefty24
BeaufortCoPack said:

UVA rolling early

Playing with a ton of confidence. Very similar to State.

And can we talk about just how bad the ACC is kicking the SEC's ass?
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

BeaufortCoPack
I was thinking about this when the announcer commented on Miss St playing in the toughest conference.
BigLefty24
BeaufortCoPack said:

I was thinking about this when the announcer commented on Miss St playing in the toughest conference.

Yea, the SEC is the best at everything. Don't let anyone tell you any different.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

EthanBarry
Staff
UVA top two starters are throwing very, very well right now.
BeaufortCoPack
They're on the verge of going 1-4
PackFansXL
I wish our guys could bunt like these UVA kids when called upon. They are killing it out there.
BigLefty24
TopsailWolf said:

Ha, I hear you. Head on Down Arrington Bridge rd and make a stop at Grady's for the best bbq in Wayne county.

If you live in Goldsboro stop at Terry's Tasty Shop right beside Wilbur's. My aunt serves up a legit hamburger/hotdog and good ice cream

Tell your aunt I'm adopting her.. That bacon doublecheeseburger and hot dog combination is hard to beat. Wheewwwweeee.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

EthanBarry
Staff
PackFansXL said:

I wish our guys could bunt like these UVA kids when called upon. They are killing it out there.
If State and UVA play, hopefully they give State the same number of outs they are giving MSU. And why do they have a guy with a OPS under 700 hitting second?
BigLefty24
So in the last 15 innings against two ACC teams, the mighty SEC has a combined two hits and zero runs.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

TopsailWolf
Love it man. Will be sure to tell her.
BeaufortCoPack
Plus UVA shutout TN 6 Zip

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.