Scouting Vanderbilt -- CWS Game 2 -- 6/21, 7 p.m.

50,490 Views | 579 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wolfer79
johntom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EthanBarry said:

What a win. Go Stanford

Might be a stupid question but why go Stanford? Seems like their lineup and rotation is deeper than Vandy. If Vandy has to pitch anyone but their top 2 guys they would be an easier game I would think. Either one is still going to be a tough out.
aqasaw234
DrummerboyWolf said:

AlleyPack said:

cowboypack02 said:

Packchem91 said:

AlleyPack said:

I'm not gonna lie.... I'm pulling for Stanford on Wednesday.
If Vandy wins on Wednesday then we'll be facing Rocker on Friday and (potentially) Leiter again on Saturday.

We'll have Willadsen/Villaman and Johnson on the mound for us, so I like our chances, but still.... I'd rather face Stanford's SPs.
Amen. Stanford all the way.

With it being an elimination game you've got to think that Vandy will throw Rocker on Wednesday and then Letter again on Friday. Figure if we get to Saturday we'll see Rocker for a few innings as well. I wouldn't want my studs sitting on the bench in an elimination game.

It all depends on whether their coach is comfortable pitching Rocker on only three days rest.
Rocker could be the number one pick in the draft... that's a high-risk decision on the table.
If Rocker pitches Wednesday night it will be closer to 4 days rest. He will have had over 90 hours to recuperate. It's is a big decision either way, but I imagine he would want the ball.

LOL you guys can't be serious. 0.0% chance Rocker pitches on Wednesday. 0.0% chance for Leiter on Friday.

AlleyPack
aqasaw234 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

AlleyPack said:

cowboypack02 said:

Packchem91 said:

AlleyPack said:

I'm not gonna lie.... I'm pulling for Stanford on Wednesday.
If Vandy wins on Wednesday then we'll be facing Rocker on Friday and (potentially) Leiter again on Saturday.

We'll have Willadsen/Villaman and Johnson on the mound for us, so I like our chances, but still.... I'd rather face Stanford's SPs.
Amen. Stanford all the way.

With it being an elimination game you've got to think that Vandy will throw Rocker on Wednesday and then Letter again on Friday. Figure if we get to Saturday we'll see Rocker for a few innings as well. I wouldn't want my studs sitting on the bench in an elimination game.

It all depends on whether their coach is comfortable pitching Rocker on only three days rest.
Rocker could be the number one pick in the draft... that's a high-risk decision on the table.
If Rocker pitches Wednesday night it will be closer to 4 days rest. He will have had over 90 hours to recuperate. It's is a big decision either way, but I imagine he would want the ball.

LOL you guys can't be serious. 0.0% chance Rocker pitches on Wednesday. 0.0% chance for Leiter on Friday.

Oh, I 99% agree with you.
There's no way Rocker SHOULD throw on Wednesday.
But college coaches can be strange cats when it comes to their pitchers and what is considered an "acceptable" amount of rest. That's been proven time and time again.

I think the most likely scenario is that Vanderbilt goes with P. Reilly or C. Little, and that Stanford goes with Q. Mathews or B. Pancer.
But we'll see.
aqasaw234
I can definitely see those guys wanting the ball in an elimination game scenario, but Corbin would be the voice of reason. I have no doubt he cares way more about protecting their future pro careers. He's a a first class coach/man.
AlleyPack
aqasaw234 said:

I can definitely see those guys wanting the ball in an elimination game scenario, but Corbin would be the voice of reason. I have no doubt he cares way more about protecting their future pro careers. He's a a first class coach/man.

Good to hear.
I didn't feel that the Arkansas coach was doing what was best for Kopps, so I'm glad that Corbin is more prudent.
aqasaw234
agreed. i thought DVH stretched kopps some kind of bad in their regional. way overworked and it showed in our super regional game.
castlewood107
Does everyone agree these are the potential pitching matchups going fwd or is it too short for our opponents to bring these guys back on Friday:

Friday afternoon
Willadsen vs. Rocker (last pitched Saturday night -- 100 pitches)
OR
Willadsen vs. Beck (last pitched Saturday afternoon -- 109 pitches)

Saturday afternoon if necessary
Reid vs. Leiter
OR
Reid vs. Alex Williams (Stanford #2 who pitched Monday -- 90 pitches, 4 ER in 5 IP, doesn't seem to have great stuff)
Wolfpack
Holy ****, this hangover
DrummerboyWolf
Wolfpack said:

Holy ****, this hangover
No hangover, but hardly any sleep either! LOL
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
AlleyPack
castlewood107 said:

Does everyone agree these are the potential pitching matchups going fwd or is it too short for our opponents to bring these guys back on Friday:

Friday afternoon
OR

Reid vs. Leiter
OR
Reid vs. Alex Williams (Stanford #2 who pitched Monday -- 90 pitches, 4 ER in 5 IP, doesn't seem to have great stuff)

Yes, I think that is accurate.

The only possible change is that Avent could choose to go with Reid on Friday if he wanted, as RJ would be on five days rest.

If we end up facing Vandy again, I think we have a better chance of scoring runs versus Rocker than Leiter -- so Avent might want to roll the dice that Reid can shut down Vandy's bats better than Willadsen/Villaman.
If Reid holds them to only a run or two and we score 3+ against Rocker, then obviously that gives us a great shot at a win on Friday.

Lots of time for the coaches to strategize and figure all of that out.
Wolfpack
castlewood107 said:

Friday afternoon
OR

Reid vs. Leiter
OR

This right here is why we want Stanford to win on Wednesday. Vandy will still be a very tough out this weekend. They only have to beat us twice, once with Rocker and once with Leiter.

Best you can hope for in a Vandy win over Stanford is a close game on Wednesday where they are forced to close with Rocker or something.

Stay locked in.
SportManagementEngineer
AlleyPack said:

castlewood107 said:

Friday afternoon
OR

Reid vs. Leiter
OR

The only possible change is that Avent could choose to go with Reid on Friday if he wanted, as RJ would be on five days rest.

If we end up facing Vandy again, I think we have a better chance of scoring runs versus Rocker than Leiter -- so Avent might want to roll the dice that Reid can shut down Vandy's bats better than Willadsen/Villaman.
If Reid holds them to only a run or two and we score 3+ against Rocker, then obviously that gives us a great shot at a win on Friday.

Winning last night was so crucial from a pitching standpoint. By the time we play again, we'll have all four of our starters ready. Personally, I go RJ for the Friday night start. You could then start him again in the championship series if needed.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
DrummerboyWolf
I put this in the roll call thread too.

For those who are out in Omaha or went to either game. Are all the tickets digital tickets? Were there tickets available at the stadium either through the NCAA or shall we say ticket brokers?

Thanks for the responses in advance.
AlleyPack
SportManagementEngineer said:

AlleyPack said:

castlewood107 said:

Friday afternoon
OR

Reid vs. Leiter
OR

Winning last night was so crucial from a pitching standpoint. By the time we play again, we'll have all four of our starters ready. Personally, I go RJ for the Friday night start. You could then start him again in the championship series if needed.

After thinking about it, I also would go with Johnson on Friday and go for blood.

If we win then that sets up a three-game WS rotation of Highfill, Willadsen/Villaman, and Johnson.

If RJ loses on Friday then we can always throw Highfill on Saturday on four days rest (if he's up for it), but a Saturday game wouldn't be ideal for our WS rotation/chances... so again, I think the best play would be to pitch RJ Friday and try to close it out.
wilmwolf
Avent is old school baseball guys, he's not going to change up the rotation at this point, particularly with Johnston dealing with whatever caused him to be seen by the doctor last week, and basically running out of gas at 75 pitches his last outing (even though he was great). I have no doubt Reid would step up if called, I just don't think we go away from what we've been doing.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
NCSUWolfPack92
This is completely different than your normal weekend rotation. If Johnson is healthy and 100%, he should pitch Friday. Only one day less than a normal week in the regular season.

You play to win Friday. The last thing you want is to go into an elimination facing game facing Leiter again.
packwest
Willadsen and then Villaman. Save the other three for game 2, if necessary.
WilmingtonPackman777
NCSUWolfPack92 said:

This is completely different than your normal weekend rotation. If Johnson is healthy and 100%, he should pitch Friday. Only one day less than a normal week in the regular season.

You play to win Friday. The last thing you want is to go into an elimination facing game facing Leiter again.

I don't think Johnson on 4/5 days rest would be better than Willadsen/Villamen on 10 or whatever days rest. The second option is still playing to win Friday. State has good options at least.
smitt86
You don't play for Saturday IMO.

Win Friday, and start whatever pitcher gives you the best chance at that. Personally, I'd start Reid and hope to have him back for the 3rd game in the finals if it came to that.

Win Friday, hope the other series needs a game on Sat, and you honestly couldn't be in a better position in terms of bullpen usage in a CWS.
NCSUWolfPack92
WilmingtonPackman777 said:

NCSUWolfPack92 said:

I don't think Johnson on 4/5 days rest would be better than Willadsen/Villamen on 10 or whatever days rest. The second option is still playing to win Friday. State has good options at least.

I doubt one extra day on Saturday does much for Johnson then. Pitching on 5 days rest should be plenty. He's your ace and if you win, you have a solid rotation set for the championship series.
flylike44
First we took down the second coming of Bob Gibson. Then it was Koufax. Who's the next legend we get to punk?
bigeric
You ride your horses.
Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
Packchem91
aqasaw234 said:

Yeah, I assumed he would be -- he's put a number of guys in the league, and you're not getting a MLB pitcher's son if you're the kinda coach throwing them out there 3 days after 100+ pitches just because you have to win.
Packchem91
AlleyPack said:

castlewood107 said:

Friday afternoon
OR

Reid vs. Leiter
OR

If it's Stanford, I'd think you'd go with Willadsen, simply because that will be a new pitcher for them to face. They've seen Johnston, and had started to hit him a little (plus, seems like maybe there is a little tweak there of some sort?)
Packchem91
Sorry if I missed this posted elsewhere, adn full credit to Alec Sawyer, who posted this tweet last night....

Kopps, Beck, Leiter --
against everyone else: 31-4
against NC State: 0-3

We've earned every bit of the position we are in with having played the best
bigeric
The Yankees drafted Leiter in '19. Does going to college remove/expire the Yankees draft rights?
-Earl Wolff-
rwwalsh
bigeric said:

The Yankees drafted Leiter in '19. Does going to college remove/expire the Yankees draft rights?
Yeah if you don't sign the the year you draft them their rights are gone. Sounds like Leiter is angling to be taken by Boston this year.
CLTWolf
Packchem91 said:

aqasaw234 said:

Yeah, I assumed he would be -- he's put a number of guys in the league, and you're not getting a MLB pitcher's son if you're the kinda coach throwing them out there 3 days after 100+ pitches just because you have to win.
Corbin definitely has a reputation as a coach that takes care of his kids, especially pitchers. A good friend of mine spoke with a former Pack ball player at a camp last year and he said that the prevailing idea right now is if your kid is a pitcher and wants to go to college send him to Vandy to pitch for Corbin and Scott Brown, they will take care of them and have them ready for the draft in 3 years.

*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
DecaturWolf
DrummerboyWolf said:

For those who are out in Omaha or went to either game. Are all the tickets digital tickets? Were there tickets available at the stadium either through the NCAA or shall we say ticket brokers?

All digital with transfer capability.
ntcstate13
DrummerboyWolf said:

Tickets are the least of your worries about getting out here. Easily available and when compared to cost of everything else a drop in the bucket. Ticketmaster makes it easy.
DrummerboyWolf
DecaturWolf said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

All digital with transfer capability.
Thanks, I don't have a smart phone, but I will figure it out.
DrummerboyWolf
ntcstate13 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Tickets are the least of your worries about getting out here. Easily available and when compared to cost of everything else a drop in the bucket. Ticketmaster makes it easy.
Thanks for the input
bigeric
" 'One pitch, one pitch,' Commodores' coach Tim Corbin said afterward. 'It sucks.'

Or as Leiter said, 'I guess you could say that every pitch matters.' "

-Earl Wolff-
BigLefty24
bigeric said:

" 'One pitch, one pitch,' Commodores' coach Tim Corbin said afterward. 'It sucks.'

Or as Leiter said, 'I guess you could say that every pitch matters.' "

you got two hits in nine innings coach.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

tau06
johntom said:

EthanBarry said:

What a win. Go Stanford

Might be a stupid question but why go Stanford? Seems like their lineup and rotation is deeper than Vandy. If Vandy has to pitch anyone but their top 2 guys they would be an easier game I would think. Either one is still going to be a tough out.
I wat Stanford 100% because I don't think they pitch Rocker or Leiter on Wednesday. If they win, that means you got to beat both of those guys with them having basically full rest. No thanks. I'll take Stanford having Beck for one game and then whoever is second if we lose against Beck in a game on Friday vs having to beat both the Vandy dudes. I'll take our bats and arms over whoever Stanford trots out there who isn't Beck.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.