Braves 2021 Season

20,030 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JocoPack
Packchem91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Civilized said:

Wowowow what a damn pitching performance.

Huge huge huge tater by Travis too to give Will a little breathing room too.

Travis is heating up, LETSGO
I thought all those LOB were going to come back to haunt us. That insurance run sure did make the 9th inning easier to breathe.
Civilized
Packchem91 said:

Civilized said:

Wowowow what a damn pitching performance.

Huge huge huge tater by Travis too to give Will a little breathing room too.

Travis is heating up, LETSGO
I thought all those LOB were going to come back to haunt us. That insurance run sure did make the 9th inning easier to breathe.

100%. When they said we'd left 9 on through the first 5 it surprised me. Didn't seem like THAT many but yeah that's the kind of thing that eats at you for sure if you leave the door open and Houston finds a way.

Fortunately the one run held up. I would have been ****ting bricks up one top 9 and the leadoff guy gets on. Up 2 that just feels completely different.

Will be interesting to test the allegedly more robust cell service tonight and see if we can stream the game sitting in CF.
metcalfmafia
Is Will Smith clutch now?
Packchem91
metcalfmafia said:

Is Will Smith clutch now?
Still a few games to go....but he's been like one of those CBB teams that loses a few questionable games in January and early February, then hits its stride and starts "getting right at the right time" heading into the Big Dance.

The guy struggled there for a big.....but has just been phenomenal in the post season.

One great thing about last night - all 4 relievers were efficient, and though there were high stress pitches, they were still limited, and all should be available today.
Civilized
Yeah thank goodness Smith and Minter both figured some stuff out.

We wouldn't be having this convo without the four top relievers balling out in October.
AlleyPack
I think the Braves need to throw another bullpen game in Game 5, and in the process let Fried and Anderson get full rest should the series head back to Houston for games 6 & 7.

Let Smyly or Tucker Davidson throw tonight.
Civilized
AlleyPack said:

I think the Braves need to throw another bullpen game in Game 5, and in the process let Fried and Anderson get full rest should the series head back to Houston for games 6 & 7.

Let Smyly or Tucker Davidson throw tonight.

Agree.

And score 12 runs too please.
Wolfer79
Paul Lukas

Uni Watch reader Derek Linn points out that Atlanta has won each World Series game in which it wore a uniform for the first time, and has lost each game in which it wore a uni for the second time.
Wolfer79
INF Johan Camargo has replaced INF/OF Ehire Adrianza on the @Braves active #WorldSeries roster, it was announced today by @MLB. Adrianza, on the Postseason Paternity List, will be allowed to be away from the Club for a minimum of 1 day & a maximum of 3 days. https://t.co/CDAdqkdrZS
Civilized
Very obviously hoping for a win tonight.

Want no part of a Game 7 winner take all in front of the home crowd in Houston.
Wolfer79
Max Fried takes the mound with a chance to clinch a title tonight, and Jack Flaherty and Lucas Giolito, his high-school teammates, will be in attendance. On the evolution of their relationship, and how Fried has grown right along with it … https://t.co/bNeHpsaWpk
wolfpack1437
Champs
Packchem91
Wolfer79 said:

Max Fried takes the mound with a chance to clinch a title tonight, and Jack Flaherty and Lucas Giolito, his high-school teammates, will be in attendance. On the evolution of their relationship, and how Fried has grown right along with it … https://t.co/bNeHpsaWpk
Fried gutted it out. He got some bad breaks in 1st inning, but fought and got thru it, then cruised -- kinda patterned the way the Braves season went....

26 years. My sons, all of whom are life long fans....only one was even alive then, and he was a baby. Other two....first champion.
As State, Braves, Panthers fans....this broke a long string of no championships.
Civilized
That. Was. Awesome!!!

Fried and Soler were grown ass men that set the tone early and got the job done tonight.

I went back and looked at the 1995 WS box scores tonight. 5 1-run games in the six game series, with the clincher being a one-nothing game. I was sweating it out on the sixth floor of Sullivan and remember hearing all the cheers erupt outside around West campus after the final out.

26 years later, I am glad as hell tonight's game wasn't 1-0. That level of stress would have been suboptimal.

World Series Champs!!!

Packsd14me
Quite a lesson in perseverance. They were grinding from spring until November. They had an amazing transformation into the best team in baseball in August. It was fun to watch everyday. You could see it building. There is something about hard work and love of your teammates that gives you the little extra boost you need to win. It's a great lesson for us all. When talent, luck, and that little extra effort that love of your teammates creates meet, great things can happen and huge obstacles can be overcome.

It is time to relax and enjoy and World Championship as a lifelong Braves fan who grew up in Richmond rooting for the R-Braves.

Go Braves!!!
Wolfer79
Ronald Acuna Jr. has made great progress from the terrible injury he suffered on July 10, when he suffered a complete ACL tear in his right knee after attempting a leaping catch in right field.

@Braves https://t.co/E6aiwqk8xW
Civilized
Great to hear!
Wolfer79
Congratulations @ozzie on taking home the @MLBPAA 2021 Heart and Hustle Award

It is the only award voted on by the MLB Player Alumni, and honors active players who demonstrate a passion for the game of baseball and best embody the values, spirit, and tradition of the game. https://t.co/wbWjj6LOlL
AlleyPack
Well, the Braves have Marcel Ozuna back.
I've not followed the scuttlebutt on the situation at all... so I'm honestly wondering, do they WANT him back?
There's certainly a lot of money tied up in the whole thing.
JocoPack
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Civilized
Pay the man his money for 6 years. This is getting ridiculous. What are we even talking about? 5 years vs 6?

The benefit of getting g 3-4 more years of peak or near-peak Freehugs grossly outweighs the detriment of two weaker years on the back end. Given his current MVP caliber play, those two back end years he's still likely to be an above average MLB hitter even if he starts tailing off a little.
ShaggyWolf
Civilized said:

Pay the man his money for 6 years. This is getting ridiculous. What are we even talking about? 5 years vs 6?

The benefit of getting g 3-4 more years of peak or near-peak Freehugs grossly outweighs the detriment of two weaker years on the back end. Given his current MVP caliber play, those two back end years he's still likely to be an above average MLB hitter even if he starts tailing off a little.
I agree. It's just going to send a really bad message to players and fans of the Braves let him walk. I won't put it past them though. The worst part about the delay is everyone knows Freddie wants to stay.
Civilized
ShaggyWolf said:

Civilized said:

I agree. It's just going to send a really bad message to players and fans of the Braves let him walk. I won't put it past them though. The worst part about the delay is everyone knows Freddie wants to stay.

And now it sounds like the Yankees and Dodgers are getting involved. And the lockout is looming.

Pay the man.
Wolfer79
Our latest roundtable focussed on Andruw Jones' Hall of Fame resume. @jonmorosi @SlangsOnSports @DKramer_ @alysonfooter and I debated the 10-time Gold Glover's case. https://t.co/pMyGduSPkL
Wolfer79
After a devastating injury cut his season short, Ronald Acuña Jr. is back in the lab

@ElExtrabase
https://t.co/BlMyAm6hny
Pack31
Civilized said:

ShaggyWolf said:

Civilized said:

And now it sounds like the Yankees and Dodgers are getting involved. And the lockout is looming.

Pay the man.

Both of those will outbid us. Just depends on where FF's heart ultimately is
Civilized
Pack31 said:

Civilized said:

ShaggyWolf said:

Civilized said:

Pay the man.

Both of those will outbid us. Just depends on where FF's heart ultimately is

Yep, that's now what it's come down to.

We don't win a World Series without AA's savvy moves but not re-signing FF months ago will likely cost the Braves at least $20-$30MM and introduces the real risk of not being able to sign him at all.

Especially with all the money saved on the A Jr. and Albies deals there wasn't ever a compelling reason to get into a pissing match over the one extra year on Freeman's deal.
Wolfer79
Greg Maddux won 355 games and pitched 5008 innings. Excluding intentional walks, he went to a 3-0 count 133 times in his entire career. Read that again. Absorb it. https://t.co/5w5QRWIBr2
JocoPack
Wolfer79 said:

Greg Maddux won 355 games and pitched 5008 innings. Excluding intentional walks, he went to a 3-0 count 133 times in his entire career. Read that again. Absorb it. https://t.co/5w5QRWIBr2
Wild stat. Just wild.

To expound on it, he faced 20,421 batters. 133 saw 3-0.
Wolfer79

Two players hit 300 home runs in the 80s. You're looking at them. Only one is in the Hall of Fame. Both should be.

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1480911028842078219?t=DCauNUwrA1R0ofZpI9K6hQ&s=19
Civilized
Wolfer79 said:

Two players hit 300 home runs in the 80s. You're looking at them. Only one is in the Hall of Fame. Both should be.

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1480911028842078219?t=DCauNUwrA1R0ofZpI9K6hQ&s=19

My favorite player growing up, and one of the top handful of inexplicable Hall snubs out there. And not that personality should matter when voting, but the Murph seems like an incredible dude off the field.

I periodically think about this and mean to look it up but get distracted. Are there any eligible two time MVP winners in the non-steroid era not in the Hall?
Wolfer79
Civilized said:

Wolfer79 said:

I periodically think about this and mean to look it up but get distracted. Are there any eligible two time MVP winners in the non-steroid era not in the Hall?

Roger Maris, 1960, 1961
maybe others
Wolfer79
Phil Niekro had some mind-blowing career stats:

318 wins (16th all-time)
716 starts (5th all-time)
5404 IP (4th all-time)
3342 K's (11th all-time)

Ready for maybe the best one?

Phil Niekro started exactly ONE major league game before his 28th birthday.
https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1481657211399061508?t=pLJCsGOM7Ghbtk7EyUl7Sw&s=19
Wolfer79
Following their historic season, the Atlanta Braves are taking the 2021 World Series Trophy on tour with 151 stops, commemorating 151 years of Braves baseball. The World Champions Trophy Tour Presented by Truist will travel throughout Braves Country, featuring locations in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Stops will include the opportunity for fans to take photos with the trophy, as well as programming by the Braves entertainment teams, alumni, and more at select locations.

A small selection of confirmed tour stops include:
  • Gresham Park Baseball Complex in Dekalb Co., GA for the Morehouse College baseball season opener against Tuskegee University on February 20
  • Cherokee, NC with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians for an event with local high school baseball and softball teams on March 12
  • Braves Country Battles Championship Tournament in Alpharetta, GA on July 9
  • Gwinnett Braves, Mississippi Braves, Rome Braves and Augusta GreenJackets

Additional details and the full tour schedule will be available later. Some stops will require online pre-registration. Visit www.Braves.com/TrophyTour to learn more about the Atlanta Braves World Champions Trophy Tour Presented by Truist, pre-register for select stops, submit suggested tour stop locations, and register to be a Braves Insider to receive communications about stops near you.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/braves-announce-world-series-trophy-tour
JocoPack
Have they announced what the rings are going to look like yet? I don't recall seeing anything. Definitely want to get a knockoff one when they are available though for my office.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.