Braves 2021 Season

20,203 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JocoPack
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just an unbelievable finish!

Trea's shot gave me hives thinking back to UCLA…same late inning situation, same ball flight, everything.

He yoked it
Wolfer79
Buster Olney

Column: Braves playoff hero Austin Riley will never stop getting better https://t.co/n15f5f61XW
Wolfer79
MLB Postseason
National League Championship Series
Game 3, Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, CA
Atlanta Braves at Los Angeles Dodgers TBS, 5:08 p.m. (Atlanta leads series 2-0)
Wolfer79
MLB Postseason

Game 4, Atlanta Braves at Los Angeles Dodgers TBS, 8:08 p.m. (Atlanta leads series 2-1)
Wolfer79
Game 5, Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, CA
Atlanta Braves at Los Angeles Dodgers TBS, 8:08 p.m. (Atlanta leads series 3-1)
Civilized
YUGE win last night.

Such a difference between up 3-1 or tied 2-2, and to get that game from the bullpen was absolutely huge.

Freehugs is hitting again, and Rosario, good gracious man have yourself a game!!
metcalfmafia
Max Fried on the bump to seal the deal tonight.
JCooke93
Go Dodgers
Civilized
JCooke93 said:

Go Dodgers

LOLOL

Like a UNC fan showing up on IPS to talk ****, except we know you're a State fan so we love you anyway despite you making bad baseball life decisions.
Civilized
metcalfmafia said:

Max Fried on the bump to seal the deal tonight.

Give that man some good run support!
Wolfer79
Braves outfielder Jorge Soler has been cleared by MLB's Joint Committee to return from the COVID-19 related injured list, the team announced Thursday.

Soler will be available for tonight's Game 5 NLCS game against the Dodgers in Los Angeles.

https://t.co/Yax5k6hl0x
Wolfer79
Buster Olney

The Braves have the best record in baseball since July 30, the day they completed the flurry of trade deadline moves. 44 wins, 22 losses.
Wolfer79
Sarah Langs

At 37 years & 348 days old on Tuesday, Charlie Morton will be the 9th-oldest pitcher to start Game 1 of a World Series, and the oldest since a 43-year-old Roger Clemens for the Astros in 2005
Civilized
Wolfer79 said:

Buster Olney

The Braves have the best record in baseball since July 30, the day they completed the flurry of trade deadline moves. 44 wins, 22 losses.

I knew they've been really good since the deadline, wasn't aware they've been the best in baseball.

It's just incredible doing what they've done, down Acuna Jr., Ozuna, and Soroka and having other guys miss serious time for injury.
Packchem91
Civilized said:

Wolfer79 said:

Buster Olney

I knew they've been really good since the deadline, wasn't aware they've been the best in baseball.

It's just incredible doing what they've done, down Acuna Jr., Ozuna, and Soroka and having other guys miss serious time for injury.
The graphic they popped up last night shwoing the pre-season OF, the mid-season OF, and then the current one was sobering. Clearly, GM of the year stuff right there.
Packchem91
Tyler Matzek -- is there a more unsuspecting hero in sports this year? I mean, I guess we should win the WS before declaring that....but given where he came from, and a guy many of us probably had not heard of when he surprisingly made the roster last year...to strking out 3 dreaded Dodgers with 0 outs and tying runners on base.

That performance last night was just awesome, clutch, ballsy as all.
Wolfer79
Packchem91 said:

Civilized said:

Wolfer79 said:

Buster Olney

The graphic they popped up last night shwoing the pre-season OF, the mid-season OF, and then the current one was sobering. Clearly, GM of the year stuff right there.

I was catching up on Baseball Tonight podcast and votes were due at end of regular season and it will be interesting to see votes for Giants GM vs Braves GM

if votes were due at end of playoffs, Braves GM wins by large margin
Packchem91
Wolfer79 said:

Packchem91 said:

Civilized said:

Wolfer79 said:

Buster Olney

I was catching up on Baseball Tonight podcast and votes were due at end of regular season and it will be interesting to see votes for Giants GM vs Braves GM

if votes were due at end of playoffs, Braves GM wins by large margin
Yeah, timing matters. I don't know what all the Giants GM did, but they improved enough over one season, that it is certainly justifiable, for sure. I'm biased too
But the changes within season were really impactful, even to get the Braves to the postseason given the early losses and mediocre record.

Of course...all these awards are kind of meaningless to me.....just go win games .
Civilized
Packchem91 said:

Tyler Matzek -- is there a more unsuspecting hero in sports this year? I mean, I guess we should win the WS before declaring that....but given where he came from, and a guy many of us probably had not heard of when he surprisingly made the roster last year...to strking out 3 dreaded Dodgers with 0 outs and tying runners on base.

That performance last night was just awesome, clutch, ballsy as all.

The Matzek story is so great.

And his stuff is just filthy.
Wolfer79
World Series
game 1
Braves @ Astros
8:08pm
Fox
Wolfer79
Jon Morosi

Max Fried is the @Braves Game 2 starting pitcher. @MLBNetwork
Civilized
Hopefully Matzek, Minter, and Smith can remain as effective as they've been. Matzek especially has just been ridiculous.

Will need Ian Anderson to step up this series the way he did last season.

Rosario has been lights-out but I feel good that really only him, Freddie, and Joc have driven the ball better than in the regular season.

Ozzie, Austin, Dansby, Duvall, Travis, Soler are all leaving extra base hits on the table so far. If some of them get hot...
Packchem91
With all the "first time since" or "first time ever" stats they keep broadcasting tonight...I'd like to know, when was the last time a starting pitcher suffered a broken leg by being hit by a ground ball in a WS game?

Dude must be pretty tough...kept on pitching and struck out Altuve the next inning before coming out.

Packchem91
Civilized said:

Hopefully Matzek, Minter, and Smith can remain as effective as they've been. Matzek especially has just been ridiculous.

Rosario has been lights-out but I feel good that really only him, Freddie, and Joc have driven the ball better than in the regular season.

Ozzie, Austin, Dansby, Duvall, Travis, Soler are all leaving extra base hits on the table so far. If some of them get hot...
Great call -- two of those guys you listed had HRs tonight, and Riley with a double and RBI.
AlleyPack
Packchem91 said:

With all the "first time since" or "first time ever" stats they keep broadcasting tonight...I'd like to know, when was the last time a starting pitcher suffered a broken leg by being hit by a ground ball in a WS game?

Dude must be pretty tough...kept on pitching and struck out Altuve the next inning before coming out.

It was pretty huge to win that first game, because without Morton it would have been very tough to try and win four more games.

Getting three is possible, though.
I'm interested to see what direction they go in for a replacement pitcher. Someone with starting experience who could possibly throw 3-4 innings, or go with a straight reliever?
Civilized
Packchem91 said:

Civilized said:

Great call -- two of those guys you listed had HRs tonight, and Riley with a double and RBI.

Man! What a tone-setter for Soler to come out and tater in the leadoff spot.

He's definitely not your classic leadoff hitter but that's a ton of pop at the top of the lineup and obviously we've ridden Acuna Jr.'s leadoff hitting for much of the last season and a half and he's not your classic leadoff man either. Except the wheels on Acuna's bus obviously look a little different than Soler's.

In this one, Minter may have gotten the game ball if I'm Snit. For him to come in so early in the game and have a strong, career-long outing, was everything. To get some stability there for three innings after Morton's unexpected departure was just huge.

Will be really curious to see how the team addresses Morton's absence. Do we pitch two bullpen games or do we start Kyle Wright or Touki or someone? No easy answers, but if it's me in this huge situation I think I'd be more comfortable cobbling together veteran bullpen guys than asking guys like Kyle and Touki to shine on this massive stage so early in their career.
Wolfer79
Sarah Langs

Longest hitting streaks, Braves postseason history:

1995-96 Marquis Grissom: 15
1996 Mark Lemke: 13
2021 Eddie Rosario: 11*
2021 Ozzie Albies: 10*

*= active streak
Wolfer79
The @Braves bullpen has been the backbone to their #WorldSeries run.

BK digs deep into Brian Snitker's decision to use his top-tier guys starting in the 3rd inning to secure the Game 1 win.

#MLBNow I #BattleATL https://t.co/2Xn5vpI3Ek
Wolfer79
.@Braves hitting coach Kevin Seitzer stopped by #HighHeat to discuss @FreddieFreeman5 being the best hitter he's ever been around and the club's plan at the plate for Game 2.

@MadDogUnleashed I @alannarizzo I #BattleATL https://t.co/dtavGS5tSv
Packchem91
AlleyPack said:

Packchem91 said:

It was pretty huge to win that first game, because without Morton it would have been very tough to try and win four more games.

Getting three is possible, though.
I'm interested to see what direction they go in for a replacement pitcher. Someone with starting experience who could possibly throw 3-4 innings, or go with a straight reliever?
I agree -- and not to be too selfish, but Fried is due for a good performance -- hope he gets one tonight and we go up 2-0.
Then we have to hold on at home with Anderson, a bullpen game, and maybe one of the late add starters.
Seems key though that we win the Fried games.
Packchem91
Civilized said:

Packchem91 said:

Civilized said:

Man! What a tone-setter for Soler to come out and tater in the leadoff spot.

He's definitely not your classic leadoff hitter but that's a ton of pop at the top of the lineup and obviously we've ridden Acuna Jr.'s leadoff hitting for much of the last season and a half and he's not your classic leadoff man either. Except the wheels on Acuna's bus obviously look a little different than Soler's.

In this one, Minter may have gotten the game ball if I'm Snit. For him to come in so early in the game and have a strong, career-long outing, was everything. To get some stability there for three innings after Morton's unexpected departure was just huge.

Will be really curious to see how the team addresses Morton's absence. Do we pitch two bullpen games or do we start Kyle Wright or Touki or someone? No easy answers, but if it's me in this huge situation I think I'd be more comfortable cobbling together veteran bullpen guys than asking guys like Kyle and Touki to shine on this massive stage so early in their career.
Minter absolutely should have gotten gameball. TBH, I hadn't followed basebll that much this summer and frankly had no idea Houston was so good -- I thought they'd fallen apart after they cheated their butts off.
But when I watched them last night, I was just amazed at how much of their core lineup they had, and how many of those guys are great hitters.
So what Minter did -- when he surely didn't expect to come in before the 6th in reality, was just phenomenal.
Wolfer79
Update: both teams will not take batting practice tonight before Game 3.

Friday

Game 3: Friday, October 29: at Truist Park, Atlanta FOX 8:09 p.m.

series tied 1-1
Wolfer79
Sarah Langs

Tonight will be Ian Anderson's 8th career postseason start, all before turning 24

That will break a tie with Jaret Wright for 2nd-most postseason starts before turning 24, trailing only Steve Avery (10)
Wolfer79
It's a dream come true for Georgia native @LieutenantDans7 to suit up for the @Braves in the #WorldSeries.

#BattleATL | #MLBTonight https://t.co/csYNmHFvYs
Civilized
Wowowow what a damn pitching performance.

Huge huge huge tater by Travis too to give Will a little breathing room too.

Travis is heating up, LETSGO

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.