Baseball ACCT pods (Tuesday-Sunday)

65,864 Views | 511 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Struttingwolf96
Struttingwolf96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AMEN! Preach it.
Wolfer79
Saturday
1pm
Boston College vs unc-ch 1pm
unc-ch won regular season series 3-0
unc-ch 13-5

NC State vs Georgia Tech 5pm
teams did not play in regular season
Yellow Jackets 9-2

Sunday
unc-ch vs Georgia Tech noon
Yellow Jackets won season series 2-1

ncsualum05
Don't follow baseball closely but we seem to the poster child for mediocre and status quo. It's like a 25 year version of Herb Sendek. They make you think it's going to be a big season until crunch time.
Colonel Armstrong
ncsualum05 said:

Don't follow baseball closely but we seem to the poster child for mediocre and status quo. It's like a 25 year version of Herb Sendek. They make you think it's going to be a big season until crunch time.

If a coach can't win a championship of some sort during a 24 year stretch, that should tell you something.

That said I actually want to keep Avent. He's built a strong program that competes every single year. Keep him for a few more years and build some better facilities so the next coach will have more to work with.
Formerly King Leary
pack4life11
For anybody watching the UNC/GT game...a couple points.

1st: Danny Hall is the ACC coach of the year. 1st inning, leadoff man on, 2nd batter bunt attempt (I got roasted on here last week for suggesting such a thing in the 1st inning, but the ACC coach of the year seems to agree with me.

2nd: GT is up 1-0 because GT was aggressive and stole 3rd base... with a left handed batter up. Move runners, Put pressure on defenses and good things happen. Simple baseball. When was the last time Avent put on a steal of 3rd to put a runner 90 feet closer to putting a run on the board?

I've said all along that if we aren't launching HR, we won't win. This weekend proved that. We had runners on and left them there because we don't know how to manufacture runs. Runners on 2nd and 3rd and less than 2 outs? Put the ball on the ground up the middle or lift one to the outfield. You cannot strike out. That's all coaching and teaching your players how to play the game.
EthanBarry
Staff
UNC was mediocre all year, got three more wins than their expected record, was terrible the last two weeks and now randomly plays better than they've played all year while getting the luck of the draw. Amazing
CLTWolf
Homie...we don't have the same lineup make up as GT. Our 2nd hole hitter is Will Wilson, you're not gonna bunt him. You're just not. You're not going to bunt our hitters 3 or 4 hole guys either. Hall doesn't bunt his 3, 4 and 5 guys either. Guldberg leads Tech in sacrifices too.
We don't have the speed the steal bases and be aggressive on the base paths like the bottom of Tech's lineup.
Avent did all of those things previously when the makeup of the lineup allowed him to.
We do a lot of hit and run though which is a way to be aggressive when you don't necessarily have the speed to steal.

Years prior Avent bunted a ton. He caught a bunch of sht for it on the message boards too.
2012 and 2013 I remember us stealing a ton of bases, Turner helped but he wasn't the only one stealing bases.
pack4life11
Agreed, we don't have the speed like in years past with Turner and McClain, and I 100% agree that hit and run is a great way to mask a lack of speed. It's another way to be aggressive and I don't think we do it nearly enough. I'm not saying run ourselves out of innings, but I am saying we've got to do more than get runners on every inning and sit back and wait for a big fly.
Struttingwolf96
State has more speed than people think. They just got to get on base. I lso believe the staff doesn't use the guys that do have some speed correctly. Avent has Butler, Tatum, Brown, Mensik, & McDonough. I believe State could take better advantage with using these guys when there on base. Stealing bases isn't all necessarily blazing speed.
Struttingwolf96
Well, just checked the score of the ACC championship game between unc & GaT & thats just great seeing the tar holes about to win another Championship in something else that they can add to their collection while us State fans are still patiently waiting for just ONE from any State team. Just great.
Wolfer79
Struttingwolf96 said:

Well, just checked the score of the ACC championship game between unc & GaT & thats just great seeing the tar holes about to win another Championship in something else that they can add to their collection while us State fans are still patiently waiting for just ONE from any State team. Just great.

PackFansXL
Thanks for quoting my favorite poster posting another woe is me post.
EthanBarry
Staff
Could you imagine the meltdown here if Jonny Butler got caught stealing with Will Wilson at the plate?
Wolfer79
PackFansXL said:

You are welcome
Struttingwolf96
I would not have Butler steal every time, but I would mix it up some.
Struttingwolf96
Wish State could do the same thing, but we blow our golden opportunities when we get them. Also, if State does have a mediocre year, we will not last long in the tourney, but when we have a record setting great beginning of the year & good regular season year we still find a way to end on a bad note. So State is dang if we do or dang if we don't. Would trade letting unc sweep us during the season for winning an ACC Championship.
Glasswolf
Wolfer79 said:

PackFansXL said:

You are welcome
Thanks for recognizing the State teams that have won championships this year!
Wolfer79
Glasswolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

PackFansXL said:

You are welcome
Thanks for recognizing the State teams that have won championships this year!

You are welcome
basementwolf
Struttingwolf96 said:

State has more speed than people think. They just got to get on base. I lso believe the staff doesn't use the guys that do have some speed correctly. Avent has Butler, Tatum, Brown, Mensik, & McDonough. I believe State could take better advantage with using these guys when there on base. Stealing bases isn't all necessarily blazing speed.
and Harrison!
EthanBarry
Staff
UNC finishes their last 16 ACC games 11-5 with a 0 run differential
WarrenPeace
basementwolf said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

and Harrison!

We were on base a lot early in the game and again in the 8th. But you're right, we weren't aggressive and couldn't get the hits.
Wolfer79
Struttingwolf96
Shame there is no NC State player.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.