Women's Indoor Track and Field preview

9,184 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jadawson
jadawson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The women finish the meet in 4th place with 61 points. Virginia Tech wins the team title with 93 points over Duke who had 91 points.
jadawson
toddl said:

I've always been dismissive of the 400 leg of the DMR as being utterly unimportant. Well, can't be right all the time....

I'm a distance guy myself, and the women's XC team accounts for 66% of all our team national championships in school history (4 out of 6, not 2 out 4), but there's got to be some way to get at least a little bit of talent on the rest of the track team. We seem to often have about 1 other person on each team that can do some damage on a conference level and maybe even score some points at nationals, but that's it. We have a good hammer thrower for 3 years, then he graduates, then we have a good 100h guy for 3 years, then he graduates, then we have a good triple jumper for 3 years... (and also don't get me started on how I dislike the scoring system for track championships...)

To further illlustrate the difference in team structure required to win a track title, NC State scored 49 points across the mid-d and distance events (800, mile, 3k, 5k, DMR) without even having a finalist in the 800m. Virginia Tech scored 17 points across those same events.

VT outscored our women 76-12 across the rest of the events, with only Jirah Sidberry (1st in long jump, 7th in triple jump) scoring for us in the remaining 12 events. When you have ~8 of 17 events that you aren't even remotely competitive in it really puts a damper on interest in the team aspect of the sport. And the more frustrating part is it seems to be by choice as we dont have a focused athlete on the roster at all for the 400m, high jump, or pole vault.
GuerrillaPack
Interview with Katelyn after the 3k win

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
jadawson
With the regular season finished (All NCAA qualifying results had to be posted by last night), here's how the Women are looking when it comes to qualifying for nationals. Top16 qualify in individual events, then they go down the list to replace athletes who choose to scratch the event.

Katelyn Tuohy is qualified 1st in the Mile with her time of 4:24.26.

Katelyn Tuohy, Sam Bush and Kelsey Chmiel are qualified 1st, 7th and 10th in the 3000m with respective times of 8:35.20, 8:54.12, 8:54.67.

Katelyn Tuohy, Kelsey Chmiel and Sydney Seymour are qualified 1st, 7th and 12th in the 5000m with respective times of 15:15.92, 15:27.83 and 15:35.61.

The DMR team is qualified 2nd overall with a time of 10:48.55.

Jirah Sidberry's hopes are slim to none, but it's not 0%. She had the 23rd farthest jump in the long jump this year and would need 7 athletes to scratch this event which is highly unlikely.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
jadawson
Athlete scratches are known for the NCAA meet. Relays do not have to be announced yet so we dont know who is going to run the DMR.

Tuohy has scratched the mile so she will be running the 3k/5k double that she did last year.

Everyone else is running the events they qualified in.
TheStorm
jadawson said:

Athlete scratches are known for the NCAA meet. Relays do not have to be announced yet so we dont know who is going to run the DMR.

Tuohy has scratched the mile so she will be running the 3k/5k double that she did last year.

What does the schedule look like with those two events, and does she have to run heats in either?
jadawson
TheStorm said:

jadawson said:

What does the schedule look like with those two events, and does she have to run heats in either?

No heats for 3k/5k. Mile is longest event requiring heats which is why it's the most popular scratch for distance runners.

Mile prelim, 5k final, and DMR final all take place within about 2 hours of each other on Friday evening so those are really the events distance runners choose between. Mile final and 3k final are Saturday evening. A 3k scratch is rare since it's the last distance event and there's nothing else to save your energy for.
toddl
Staff
TheStorm said:

jadawson said:

https://rtspt.com/ncaa/d1indoor23/schedule.pdf
TheStorm
toddl said:

TheStorm said:

jadawson said:

https://rtspt.com/ncaa/d1indoor23/schedule.pdf
So, she'll be starting the two races within 24 hours of each other, with the longer race being run first...

Any thoughts on how that affects her chances... and should the NCAA be just even "a little" more accommodating to give the elite runners the chance to "double" in these events?

Hanging up and ready to listen.
toddl
Staff
Indoor is typically a shorter meet than the outdoor meeting (2 days vs 4 days). Doubles happen regularly, but the schedule pretty much kills the opportunity for a triple.

If she only does 3k and 5k, I'd still expect her to win both. If she jumps in the DMR, then that would definitely impact the DMR's finish. Running the 1600 leg about 25 minutes after finishing the 5k is a bit iffy.
24 hours of rest for her to come back and win the 3k should be fine.

Cramming all the women from 4-6pm and the men from 7-9pm isn't really my cup of tea. It's nice to be able to focus solely on the women for a time block, but it also compresses everything so close that it damages the chances of pulling a double on the same day. Running the mile one hour before the 5k is significantly different than running the mile three hours before the 5k.

Outdoors is a bit better. They spread it over 4 days, but still segregate the men and women. Day 1 women, day 2 men, day 3 women, day 4 men. That gives you some good rest between the two days, but it doesn't help when you're trying to run two events in the same day.
jadawson
yep two heats for the mile kills any hope of a triple unless a 5k runner gets extremely luck with a super slow/tactical 5k and the coach thinks they have something left for a DMR leg.

The only athlete in recent memory i've seen be able to go for a triple (and he achieved it once) is Edward Cheserek from Oregon. But the depth of these fields is so much stronger these days in terms of ability it would be much more difficult for Tuohy to pull it off.
toddl
Staff
Times to tune in (eastern time). Broadcasting on ESPN+.

Friday March 10:

7:05pm - 5000 finals - Tuohy, Chmiel, Seymour
7:35pm - DMR finals

9:15pm - 60 prelims - Lang
9:55pm - 60 hurdles prelims - Murray, Brockman

Saturday March 11:

7:00pm - 3000 finals - Tuohy, Bush, Chmiel

9:10pm - 60 finals - if qualify
9:40pm - 60 hurdles finals - if qualify
jadawson
Closing up a fantastic indoor season for the women this year. A 6th place finish as a team at NCAA's is the best finish in program history. Katelyn Tuohy brought home two more NCAA titles by completing the 3k/5k double. Kelsey Chmiel finshed as an 1st team all american in both the 3k and the 5k as well. Also saw a 1st team all-american performance from the DMR team composed of Savannah Shaw, Caroline Lewis, Grace Hartman and Samantha Bush. Samantha Bush was also 2nd team all american as an individual in the 3k.

Many school and collegiate records broken as well. Katelyn Tuohy broke the NCAA Indoors record (and school record) in both the Mile and the 3k this year, and also seat a new school indoors record the 5k. We also saw new school records fall in the 500m for Timara Chapman, 600m for Caroline Lewis, and the DMR.

Here's an update on where the incoming HS recruits are at the close of their indoors seasons.

Kate Putman - Fantastic season for Putman. She ran the 6th fastest 1000m time in the country this year, the 10th fastest Mile time in the country this year, and the 23rd fastest 3k time in the country. She won the NY State meet in the 1500m and competed well at the New Balance Nationals event in the Mile finishing 7th in a new PB of 4:44.48. She's a national level talent and a very good signing for our program. I'd project her to run the Mile/3k and compete in cross country as well.

Angelina Napoleon - Fantastic season as well for Napoleon. This year she ran the 7th fastest 1000m time in the country, the 10th fastest 800m time in the country, and the 15th fastest Mile time in the country. She also regularly competes in the High Jump where she had the 5th highest jump in NY this year. She was the NY state champ in the 1000m this year. She also competed well at the New Balance Indoor Nationals event, finishing 8th in the 800m and 9th in the Mile running indoors PB's in both events (2:10.33 in the 800m and 4:47.36 in the Mile. She's another national level talent and a great signing for our program. She is very difficult to project at the collegiate level with her competing in so many different events. I'd expect her to compete in XC but on the track i wouldn't be surprised if she ran the 800-mile indoors and then ran the mile and 3k Steeplechase outdoors.

Jolena Quarzo - Broken record here but another fantastic season for an incoming Pack recruit. Quarzo didn't compete as often as Putman or Napoleon but still managed to run the 8th fastest 3200m, 11th fastest 1600m and 22nd fastest 3000m times in the country this year. She also competed in the 5k at the NB Nationals event and had a tremendous showing running a 16:43 on the track indoors. She was the PA state champion in the 3k. She is a solid miler but i'd project to focus on the longer events on the track in college, 3k/5k and potentially the 10k outdoors plus XC.

Madison Moraja - Got a late start to her season. Not sure if it was injuries or if she was competing in another sport. She ran the 35th fastest 500m in NC this year. I'd lean towards injuries being the reason because she ran faster both last indoors and outdoors. I'd project her to focus on the 400m but compete in the 200 as well.

Mia Hall - Didn't compete in indoors track (she never has in HS). Excited to see her open up Outdoors. She also seems to get better as the distance gets longer, i'd expect a similar race profile to Quarzo along with XC.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.