Women's Indoor Track and Field preview

9,175 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jadawson
jadawson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wolfer79, if youd prefer to start an official thread or turn this into an official thread thats fine, just wanted to post a preview for those that are unfamiliar with the track programs at large. I'll be working on a mens post later tonight.

Wanted to start on the topic since some of the athletes are going to run a season opener in just a few weeks in Boston before taking a break again before the real season begins in earnest in January.

Many people on the forum have become familiar with NC State running over the past year or two due to the success of the women's cross country team and the individual success of Katelyn Tuohy in track and cross country. Thought i would give a quick preview of how our team shakes out in track and field. The way our roster is constructed, the team scoring aspect for us is still heavily carried by the distance running events, but we have some solid athletes in other events as well. Going to go through event by event with people i think could/should contribute a lot to us this year. You'll see some unique events in indoor track, where some meets will race a 300m, 600m, 1000m, etc., But i'm going to focus on the ones that are raced at ACC's and NCAA's.

60M- Unique to indoor track, we run the 60 meter dash instead of the traditional 100 meter dash. NC state does not have much depth here or across the sprints in general really, having graduated a few solid sprinters such as Jada Griffin. Mia D'Ambrosio did not race indoors or outdoors last year but is back on the gopack roster so i'm presuming she will run. She has run consistently solid times in the low 7.7's when she has raced this event in the past. Ally Henson has run this indoors in the past in a 7.77 but seems to have moved more towards the hurdles indoors.

200M - Gonna be a drop off here as the school record holder McKenzie Long has graduated. Mia D'Ambrosio has run a 24.56 indoors which is good enough to usually finish about middle of the pack at ACC's but not make the finals and score. Ally Henson has run a best of 24.83 here.

400M - Gonna be a drop off here as well as another school record holder has graduated here in Jada Griffin. Ally Henson and Mia D'Ambrosio have both dabbled and run in the 4 x400 relays whenever the team decides to field a team in that event. Nobody I would expect to compete to score at ACC's.

800M - This is where it gets interesting as to where coach Henes and the runners want to emphasize this season. Lots of women have experience and solid times here. Sam Bush doesn't run the 800 often, but her PB is only 2 seconds off the school record having run a 2:04.99 last season, and she is the school record holder indoors in the 1000M. Caroline Lewis also focuses here in track and has run 2:13 which is a solid enough time. There are a lot of other runners who aren't locked into a single event that have hit competitive times including Savannah Shaw at 2:10 and Brooke Rauber and Marlee Starliper at 2:12. Freshmen Olivia Haas, Hannah Gapes, and Grace Hartman have all run in the 2:12-2:13 range as well.

Mile - I don't think she'll end up running this at nationals, but obviously the best is Katelyn Tuohy, having posted a 1500m time last season of 4:06 that led the country. I would expect Sam Bush and Nevada Mareno to run this a lot this season. They both have PB's of 4:13 for the 1500m. Savannah Shaw has also run a 4:16 PB here. While i wouldn't expect Kelsey Chmiel to specialize here you have to mention that she holds the school indoor mile record with a 4:36 mile (roughly a 4:15 1500m).

3000M - Katelyn Tuohy is the big name here, having run an 8:54 school indoor record and her PB and finishing 2nd at Indoor Nationals in this event last season. Kelsey Chmiel was 7th in that race and has a 8:59 PB herself. Sam Bush was 6th in that race has run a 9:02 PB. Savannah Shaw is probably the other name to mention here with a 9:06 PB.

5000M - Once again, starting with Katelyn Tuohy, having finished 2nd in this race at NCAA indoors last year and with a 15:14 PB outdoors. However its actually Kelsey Chmiel that holds the current school indoor record with a 15:27 (which you have to think will be smashed by Tuohy and also broken this year by potentially multiple other runners). Per the Gopack roster, Allie Hays has 1 more year of track eligibility and is on the roster so im assuming she's running. she has a 15:33 Indoors PB in the 5k and tremendous experience. Sydney Seymour was 2nd last year at SEC indoors and has a 15:34 outdoors PB. Sam Bush and Savannah Shaw have tended to focus more on mid distance in Indoors historically but Shaw has a 15:33 PB outdoors and Bush has run a 15:35. Marlee Starliper also has unknown health status but she has run 15:36 outdoors.

60 Hurdles - Ally Henson is more competitive in the hurdle events than the straight sprints. She was 7th in the ACC indoors last year running an 8.39. Akira Rhodes was 4th in the ACC at the 2021 indoor meet with a 8.24 but did not run 2021-22 indoors or 2022 outdoors, but im assuming she is back since she is listed on the Gopack roster.

4x400 m relay - We did not contest this event at ACC's last year and were last in the race (11 teams ran) in 2021 indoors. Not an event we expect to be competitive in.

Distance Medley Relay - A very unique track event where each member of the team runs a different distance for their leg. Traditionally the event goes 1200 meter leg (3 laps of a standard track), 400 meter leg (1 lap), 800 meter leg (2 laps) and closed with a 1600 meter leg. NC State traditionally is strong in this event and won ACC Indoors in 2021 and were 3rd this past year in 2022. It just depends on who we want to run and how many other events they are already scheduled for. Tuohy did not run at ACC's last year in this event.

High Jump - I dont believe we have a specialized High Jumper on the roster. Nasheeda Facey has done it before jumping 1.55M, but is more focused on the long jump.

Pole Vault - I don't believe we have a pole vaulter on the roster.

Long Jump - Jirah Sidberry finished 12th at ACC indoors and 13th at ACC outdoors in the long jump last year and has a PB of 6.20 meters.

Triple Jump - Jirah Sidberry finished 3rd at ACC indoors and 5th at ACC outdoors last year in the triple jump and has a PB of 12.85 meters.

Shot Put - I don't expect us to have anyone too competitive here. We return Mahkayla Hart, with a 42'10" PB. Its more likely we have a new face step up. We have a redshirt freshman Sydney Freeman who had a 42'5" PB in high school. We also bring in true freshmen Ta'Honny Exum, 2022 NC 2A state shotput champion with a 42'5" PB and Morgan Glass with a 41'6" PB.

Weight Throw - the indoors replacement for the Discus, Javelin and Hammer Throw. Makala Wright has a 55'4" PB and was 9th in the ACC outdoors in the Hammer throw. Mahkayla hart has a 54'2" PB and was 16th at ACC indoors last year. We also are bringing in the NC 2A state discus champion in Clara Willard.

Pentathlon - The final event of indoors which consists of the 60m hurdles, the high jump, the shot put, the long jump and closing with the 800 meters. Timara Chapman is the school record holder in this event and is returning. She was 3rd in the ACC at Indoors last year and 2nd in the ACC at the heptathlon outdoors.
GuerrillaPack
Good stuff jadawson. A little off topic, but what is your opinion on the NCAA schedule being too grueling for distance runners? As it is now, of course, they are competing nearly all year long -- XC and then indoor and outdoor track. I saw someone on the letsrun forums recently claim that one of the reasons that American distance runners have failed to be very competitive internationally over the years is due to the fact that too many of them burn out (with injuries, etc) in part due to the demanding college schedule.

Related to that, there are obviously a ton of injuries to both high school and college distance runners. I wonder if relying on cross training (as Parker Valby apparently does) is an optimal alternative training regimen in order to limit injuries. And I wonder what the NC State coaches philosophy is on this?
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
jadawson
GuerrillaPack said:

Good stuff jadawson. A little off topic, but what is your opinion on the NCAA schedule being too grueling for distance runners? As it is now, of course, they are competing nearly all year long -- XC and then indoor and outdoor track. I saw someone on the letsrun forums recently claim that one of the reasons that American distance runners have failed to be very competitive internationally over the years is due to the fact that too many of them burn out (with injuries, etc) in part due to the demanding college schedule.

Related to that, there are obviously a ton of injuries to both high school and college distance runners. I wonder if relying on cross training (as Parker Valby apparently does) is an optimal alternative training regimen in order to limit injuries. And I wonder what the NC State coaches philosophy is on this?

It's a question im sure many have asked over the years. I think it just comes down to an open line of communication between coach and athlete as to when they need to rest. It's why you often don't see elite runners line up in a certain season until right around the post season beginning, trying to not burn out.

The biggest difference is Cross Country. Europeans and Africans will run some cross country races over their careers but it is not a focus and there is no specific season for it. Generally you'll see elite european talents run a few indoor events from late january to March culminating in either a national or the european championship event, and then they are off again until opening up their outdoor season in May and lasting until september. Then they are off again until the next january. So they typically only end up with 6-7 months of a "season". Where NCAA runners usually get closer to 8-9 months of a season.

However I dont know if many fans of the american side of the sport would like the alternative of either A) not running cross country or B) elite runners not choosing to go the college route.

I'd be interested to see studies on cross training as an alternative to high mileage. Its obviously worked very well for Valby and Natalie Cook as well.
Nairo
NC State is generally considered a high mileage program, although training is tailored around the individual. It is possible to race at a very high level on low mileage, but anything weight bearing is high quality intervals and the aerobic work is done in the pool or elliptical. Justyn Knight and Valby are examples. Knight won the NCAA XC while running around 50 mpw, which is less than 1/2 the volume of what most elite college men will train.

I think Tuohy is probably in the 65-70 range during cross and probably cuts that by 10% outdoors. She does a lot of ballistic work and heavy weight strength training going back to her very excellent high school coach.

What our program will do is take the best (and healthy) runners to Boston in two weeks to try and get an NCAA qualifier time (indoor is a ranking system, not any set standard) so they can then take a couple weeks of active recovery and then resume their training after the holidays. This keeps them sharp going into late spring.

With Tuohy they'll probably modify things since she will likely try and make the national team this summer. The world championships are late August in Hungary, which will make things interesting for how she approaches XC (assuming she makes the team). I would not be surprised to not see her race in XC until late Oct if that's the case.

I think this spring will be when we see her really make a big break through on the track to be at a world championship level. She's got her eyes set on sub 15:00 for 5k which she should be able to get no problem.

jadawson said:

GuerrillaPack said:

It's a question im sure many have asked over the years. I think it just comes down to an open line of communication between coach and athlete as to when they need to rest. It's why you often don't see elite runners line up in a certain season until right around the post season beginning, trying to not burn out.

The biggest difference is Cross Country. Europeans and Africans will run some cross country races over their careers but it is not a focus and there is no specific season for it. Generally you'll see elite european talents run a few indoor events from late january to March culminating in either a national or the european championship event, and then they are off again until opening up their outdoor season in May and lasting until september. Then they are off again until the next january. So they typically only end up with 6-7 months of a "season". Where NCAA runners usually get closer to 8-9 months of a season.

However I dont know if many fans of the american side of the sport would like the alternative of either A) not running cross country or B) elite runners not choosing to go the college route.

I'd be interested to see studies on cross training as an alternative to high mileage. Its obviously worked very well for Valby and Natalie Cook as well.
Wolfer79
jadawson said:

Wolfer79, if youd prefer to start an official thread or turn this into an official thread thats fin

this works for me

thank you for starting topic
jadawson
Nairo said:

NC State is generally considered a high mileage program, although training is tailored around the individual. It is possible to race at a very high level on low mileage, but anything weight bearing is high quality intervals and the aerobic work is done in the pool or elliptical. Justyn Knight and Valby are examples. Knight won the NCAA XC while running around 50 mpw, which is less than 1/2 the volume of what most elite college men will train.

I think Tuohy is probably in the 65-70 range during cross and probably cuts that by 10% outdoors. She does a lot of ballistic work and heavy weight strength training going back to her very excellent high school coach.

What our program will do is take the best (and healthy) runners to Boston in two weeks to try and get an NCAA qualifier time (indoor is a ranking system, not any set standard) so they can then take a couple weeks of active recovery and then resume their training after the holidays. This keeps them sharp going into late spring.

With Tuohy they'll probably modify things since she will likely try and make the national team this summer. The world championships are late August in Hungary, which will make things interesting for how she approaches XC (assuming she makes the team). I would not be surprised to not see her race in XC until late Oct if that's the case.

I think this spring will be when we see her really make a big break through on the track to be at a world championship level. She's got her eyes set on sub 15:00 for 5k which she should be able to get no problem.

I know Valby and Cook both rave about the Arc Trainer, which i think is just a modern/more efficient elliptical machine. I can see how it can be a great substitute for aerobic work and the base mileage others are putting in, but the interesting part is that Valby said they were simulating hills on the arc trainer by upping the resistance on it. Im not an expert but I cant help but to think its not exactly the same thing since the machine will help you on the way back up from "impact" almost by default.

And yes, I think we sent roughly our top 9-10 women last year sinfce they were all training through nationals. I believe only JP Flavin went for the men since he was the only one to go to nationals, hopefully the full mens side can go this year as well.

I'll be interested to see how Tuohy handles outdoors. She definitely can't stretch her peak for 2 months between NCAA's and Worlds (assuming its her goal to qualify and not just race and gain experience at nationals like last year). We'll have to wait and see when Nationals is being held to see how long she'll have between NCAA's and qualifying to rest and try to rebuild a bit if she does try to peak for NCAA's.
jadawson
Heats posted for the Sharon Colyear-Danville Season opener in Boston taking place this Saturday. This meet traditionally is a few pro runners will mix in with some top NCAA XC runners who are looking to snag a PR or NCAA qualifying standard time while they are still in shape from peaking for XC nationals. The 5k has a rabbit to pace the races towards a pre-agreed pace. Different heats with different paces and runners sorted amongst the heats based on their PR's.

For the women, Katelyn Tuohy, Kelsey Chmiel and Allie Hays (running unattached) are in heat 1, being paced for 15:00. This is being paced for the NCAA Record time. This is an aggressive pace for the majority of the field. Tuohy has an indoor PR of 15:30, Chmiel has an indoor PR of 15:27 and Hays has an indoor PR of 15:33. Those 3 times are also the top 3 indoor times in school history. I'm a little disappointed in the entry list, as only 2 runners have PR's faster than Tuohy's 15:14 from outdoors. Initially listed were two pro's with sub 15:00 PR's (Emily Infield and Weini Kelati) but they have since dropped out. Hope someone can hang with Tuohy if she chooses to chase the 15:00 collegiate record.

Sydney Seymour and Gionna Quarzo are in heat 2 being paced for 15:30. Seymour has an indoor PR of 15:47 and Quarzo of 16:15. Both could be in line for big PR's if they hang with the pace.

Brooke Rauber and Mariah Howlett are in heat 3 being paced for 15:45. Rauber doesnt have an indoor 5k time yet, and Howlett's PR indoors is 16:36. Again could be lined up for big PR's.

Sam Bush and Nevada Mareno are running in the 3k. Bush has an indoor PR of 8:54 and Mareno has an indoor PR of 9:30.

Just in case some of the women have some great days, here are the 3k and 5k indoor top 10's for the school.

3,000 Meters
Katelyn Tuohy 8:54.17 2022
Sam Bush 8:54.37 2022
Kelsey Chmiel 8:59.96 2022
Elly Henes 9:00.53 2021
Wesley Frazier 9:01.26 2016
Julia Lucas 9:03.47 2007
Allie Hays 9:05.12 2022
Hannah Steelman 9:05.33 2021
Erika Kemp 9:06.07 2016
Savannah Shaw 9:06.22 2022

5,000 Meters
Kelsey Chmiel 15:27.36 2021
Katelyn Tuohy 15:30.63 2022
Allie Hays 15:33.84 2021
Elly Henes 15:41.63 2018
Erika Kemp 15:45.46 2016
Hannah Steelman 15:47.43 2021
Laurie Henes-Gomez 15:55.26 1991
Julia Lucas 15:58.85 2007
Kristin Price 16:03.13 2003
Joanna Thompson 16:03.13 2015

https://www.directathletics.com/EliteHeats.pdf?downloader=1&sport=track&meet_hnd=75538
jadawson
Start lists have been updated. I no longer see Nevada Mareno registered in the 3000, I do now see Grace Hartman registered, likely will be in Heat 2. She is listed as running for NC State rather than unattached so it appears she will not be redshirting the Indoor season.

I also no longer see Brooke Rauber and Mariah Howlett registered in the 5000.
jadawson
Samantha Bush comes 3rd in the Women's 3000 with an unofficial time of 8:54.12. This time if it holds would be a new school record by .05 seconds!
jadawson
Grace Hartman finishes 7th in heat 2 of the 3000M, in a time of 9:16.36. Pretty solid opening for her first official race for NC State.
toddl
Staff
jadawson said:

Samantha Bush comes 3rd in the Women's 3000 with an unofficial time of 8:54.12. This time if it holds would be a new school record by .05 seconds!
Her best last season was 8:54.37, so dropping to 8:54.12 isn't unexpected. Tuohy's school record from last year was 8:54.18 (both of those performances last year were at this meet too).

8:54.12 would have been #7 best performance in the nation last year. Good to get your name near the top of the leader list. Pretty much guarantees she can focus the rest of the season on championship season and not have to worry about chasing a qualifier.

Pretty impressive performance in 2nd place. Olivia Markezich (Notre Dame) in 8:50.48, from her previous best last season of 9:08.51 (43rd best performance in the nation). Heck of an improvement.
Ceili McCabe getting the win in 8:50.44 is no surprise. She's good.
jadawson
toddl said:

jadawson said:

Her best last season was 8:54.37, so dropping to 8:54.12 isn't unexpected. Tuohy's school record from last year was 8:54.18 (both of those performances last year were at this meet too).

8:54.12 would have been #7 best performance in the nation last year. Good to get your name near the top of the leader list. Pretty much guarantees she can focus the rest of the season on championship season and not have to worry about chasing a qualifier.

Pretty impressive performance in 2nd place. Olivia Markezich (Notre Dame) in 8:50.48, from her previous best last season of 9:08.51 (43rd best performance in the nation). Heck of an improvement.
Ceili McCabe getting the win in 8:50.44 is no surprise. She's good.
McCabe is definitely a beast, her kick in these shorter track races is unreal. Markezich was very impressive. After her great performance for 3rd at ACC's and then 8th at Nationals in XC she's clearly at a new level of fitness compared to last year. Should make ACC indoors really fun.

And yeah, this track is definitely the fastest we'll run on all indoors season, so this may just hold up as the record unless Katelyn really tries to attack one later on. This is definitely an event Bush can excel at so its great she's already put up a fast time to allow her to focus on her base to be able to attack nationals again this year. If she can improve on her 6th place from last year that would be amazing.
jadawson
Emma Coburn is one of the rabbits on the womens side so the pace should definitely go out in what they are looking for to go for a record attempt. Reported 9:03 at 3k pace
jadawson
Tuohy misses the national record but sets a massive school indoor record in 15:15.92
jadawson
Kelsey Chmiel gets 8th in a 15:27.83, Allie Hays 12th in 15:45. Chmiel's time was basically equal to her previous school record set here last year.
toddl
Staff
#9 all time NCAA http://www.ustfccca.org/records-lists/outdoor-collegiate-all-time-bests?gender=2&sport=1&top=25&event=11
(or #10 depending on how you're counting)

That will most likely hold up as the fastest time in the NCAA all season.
GuerrillaPack
Boston post-race interview with Katelyn:

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
jadawson
Sydney Seymour with an impressive 15:35.61 to take 3rd in heat 2. That smashes her indoor PR, is only 1 second off her Outdoor PR, and makes her the 4th fastest woman in school history indoors behind only Tuohy, Chmiel and Allie Hays.

Gionna Quarzo ran a 16:25 in this heat as well.
jadawson
GuerrillaPack said:

Boston post-race interview with Katelyn:

Would be awesome if she could get into the 3k at Millrose. 5 women went sub 8:50 there last year (including Elly Henes) and Courtney Wayment of BYU got in there as a collegian and ran an 8:50.05. Some stud pro runners like Alicia Monson and Weini Kelati ran there last year so would be a great race to go for a top tier time.
jadawson
Looking at the splits it was a really gutsy finish by Tuohy. Her 5 slowest 200m splits were in the 1k between 3400 and 4400 then she was able to find a gear again and finish hard.
Wolfer79
The NC State track and field programs started the 2022-23 with a pair of weekend events in Boston and Winston-Salem.

Sam Bush set a school record in Boston at the Sharon Colyear-Danville season opener hosted by Boston University.

Bush posted a 8:54.12 in the 3K, finishing third in the event. Last season she set a school record in the 1000m at the Hokie Invitational with a time of 2:43.30.

Katelyn Tuohy was the first collegiate finisher in the 5000m run, crossing the line in 15:15.92. That ranks No. 9 all-time in college history. The time was also an NC State indoor school record. Her teammate Kelsey Chmiel finished 8th (15:27.83). Sydney Seymour finished 13th (15:35.61).

Gionna Quarzo (62nd, 16:25.97) rounded out the Wolfpack runners in the 5000.

Brett Gardner finished 57th in the men's 5000m with a time of 13:48.77.

Winston-Salem College Kickoff

Sydney Freeman, Timara Chapman, Jakerra Convington and Mahkayla Hart participated in field events at the Winston-Salem College Kickoff.

Freeman finished fifth in the shot put (13.25m) and weight throw (16.79m).

Hart also participated in the weight throw, finishing ninth (19.29m).

Freeman was joined in the shot put competition by Chapman (8th, 12.22m) and Covington (15th, 10.36m).

https://gopack.com/news/2022/12/3/track-bush-tuohy-set-school-records-at-first-indoor-track-and-field-meet.aspx
jadawson
Katelyn Tuohy and former Pack standout Elly Henes have both been selected to the elite 3k field at the 115th Millrose games on February 11th 2023. Tuohy's current PB is 8:54.18 set last year at the Boston season opener. The school record was set by Sam Bush only a few tenths of a second faster at this years Boston season opener. The women's NCAA record is 8:41 by Karissa Schweizer.

Ali Monson has a PB of 8:31 and may be chasing the American record of 8:25 (also by Schweizer). Klosterhalfen has a PB of 8:32 and is the co-favorite with Monson.

Praught Leer has a 8:41 PB, Belayneh has a 8:43 PB, Eleanor Fulton has a 8:54 PB (8:44 outdoors), Gabbi Jennings has a 9:09 PB but doesnt run many 3k's.

Henes, Wayment, Orton Morgan all set their PB's at the 2022 Millrose Games this past january at 8:49, 8:50 and 8:56 respectively. I dont remember a ton about Orton Morgan's season but Henes and Wayment both went on to have great seasons and post great times in the 5k and 3k steeplechase respectively that would suggest they can run faster than those PB's.

The USA Indoor National championships are just a week after the Millrose Games so all of the American runners at least should be rounding into peak form and we could be in for a very fast race to pull Tuohy along to a fantastic time.
jadawson
Can't speak to the actual validity of this, but a rumor is spreading on Letsrun message board that Amaris Tyynismaa from Alabama might transfer to NC State. Her coach just left to take the open job at Florida so a transfer isn't out of the question for their runners (though i have no idea what started the rumor to NC State specifically), but now that it has started spreading people have noticed that the official NC State TF_XC instagram account and Katelyn Tuohy are two of her most recent followers, and she started following Brooke Rauber, Katelyn Tuohy and Brett Gardner from the men's team in her last 15-20 follows.

She just finished 9th at the XC national championships. I believe she would have 1 season of eligibility in all 3 seasons if she came over in the summer.
jadawson
NC State will open the real indoor season this coming weekend with the Virginia Tech Invitational. Traditionally this is not a meet that the distance runners open with (they usually open the following weekend at the Hokie Invite, yes VT hosts events on back to back weekends). Traditionally we send some athletes from the sprints, hurdles, jumps and throws and let distance build for one more week before opening their season.

Entries

The entry lists confirm we are sticking with the plan.

In the 60m dash we are entering Imunique Archie and Alexis Patterson. Patterson leads the way with a 7.68 PB.

Imunique Archie, Ally Henson, Alexis Patterson, & redshirt freshman Allison Payton will be running the 200m dash. Payton has only registered a throws result in college so this will be a sprints debut. Archie leads the way for the other teammates with a 24.70.

Allison Payton will also be running the 300m dash at this event.

Caroline Lewis is entered in the 400m and 500m. She has a PB of 59.86 in the 400 and 1:18.40 in the 500. Timara Chapman is also registered in the 500m which will be her first at the distance. She has a 58.15 PB at the 400m distance.

The final track event we have runners enters is with Ally Henson and redshirt freshman Jakerra Covington in the 60m hurdles. Henson has a 8.39s PB while this will be Covington's collegiate debut at the distance.

Jakerra Covington is also entered in the high jump where she has a 5'.5" PB in college.

Zahra Bichara, Timara Chapman, Jakerra Covington, & Jirah Sidberry are entered in the long jump. Sidberry leads the way with a 6.20m PB

Nahsheeda Facey and Jirah Sidberry are entered in the Triple Jump. Sidberry finished 3rd in the triple jump at ACC indoors last year.

Mikki Covington & Mahkayla Hart are entered in the shotput along with debuts from redshirt freshmen Katie Horne and Sydney Freeman. Hart leads the way with a 13.06m PB.

Mahkayla Hart, Makala Wright and Sydney Freeman are entered in the weight throw. Hart and Wright both made the finals at the ACC Indoors last year finishing 16th and 21st respectively.
jadawson
The Stride Report reporting the Amaris Tyynismaa is officially transferring to NC State. Nothing posted by her or NC State yet, but she's no longer listed on the Alabama athletics site's t&f roster.

Im not 100% on how the rules work nowadays but she ran in the Boston meet back in December for Alabama, so i dont think she'd be able to run indoor for NC State as well. She should be eligible outdoors however as long as she is registered for class this semester.

She brings a lot of speed and talent to the program and will more than make up for the losses of Nevada Mareno and Sydney Seymour next year. She is fairly similar level to Sam Bush in term's of PB's on the track, with a 4:09 1500 (Bush has a 4:13 PB), a 4:33 mile (Bush has a 4:37), a 8:55 3000, (Bush has a 8:54) and a 15:33 5000 (Bush has a 15:35). Plus she has an excellent XC resume with two top 10 finishes to her name.

She should have 1 year of XC eligibility left with potentially 2 seasons of indoor and outdoor remaining.

https://instagr.am/p/CnSlfWCp44o
jadawson
She has a great story for anyone that wants to read more about her

https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/amaris-tyynismaa-runner/
Wolfer79

It's the spring semester, which means it's time for track and field. Last year, two female distance runners, who also competed for the two-time national champion Wolfpack cross country team, ended the season with multiple first-place finishes at the ACC Track and Field Championships. Senior Sam Bush and junior Katelyn Tuohy will look to continue their dominance in 2023.

Women

Bush and Tuohy headline the women's track roster but are joined by freshman Grace Hartman and junior Gionna Quarzo, both of whom got their feet wet last month at the Boston Opener.

Apart from distance runners, graduate student Savannah Shaw performed well last season, placing fifth in the women's 5000-meter at last year's Raleigh Relay.

Junior Mahkayla Hart will be returning after recording a personal-best 52.06-meter hammer throw at last year's ACC championships and will look to improve upon that to represent the Pack in that event this year.

Men

The men aren't as star-studded as the women but have big names in their own right. Graduate sprinter Alan Alvarez is a former All-ACC performer, graduate jumper Jamar Davis is a former NCAA All-American and distance runner Gavin Gaynor is a five-time recipient of All-ACC honors.

Both the male and female squads have a handful of freshmen, with eight women and seven men looking to make their mark. Among these freshmen are women's distance runner Briley Bickerstaff, women's thrower Ta'Honny Exum and men's jumper Kyzaiah Stone, all of whom were decorated high school athletes in their respective events.

Schedule

The Pack will travel to Blacksburg, Virginia the weekend of Jan. 13 to participate in the VT Invitational. The best Wolfpack athletes will be tested against other ACC athletes from schools such as Virginia Tech, Clemson and Duke. Last year, the Pack found success at the event with first place finishes in the women's 300-meter and the men's long jump. Look for NC State track and field athletes to win multiple events during the back-half of the season.

Last April at the UVA Challenge, multiple NC State athletes set new personal records and had top-10 finishes, and Tuohy placed first in the 5000-meter after running a 15:14.61, a top-10 time in collegiate history for the 5000.

There will be meets every weekend leading up to ACC Indoor Championships taking place from Feb. 23-25 in Louisville, Kentucky.

The outdoor season will pick up from there, with ACC championships for outdoor taking place in early May, preceded by the NCAA Championships in late May and early June. While Bush and Tuohy are expected to do well, other athletes on the team are plenty capable of winning events for the Wolfpack this season

https://www.technicianonline.com/sports/wolfpack-track-and-field-gearing-up-for-2023-season/article_9aaab2f4-9219-11ed-8f77-53fdf8349fc8.html
Wolfer79
The NC State indoor track and field team will travel to Blacksburg for the Virginia Tech Invitational, January 13-14.

The event will kick off at 5 pm on Friday.

Virginia Tech Invitational
Date: Jan. 13-14
Meet information: Click here
Live Results: Results

Last time out: Sam Bush set a school record in Boston at the Sharon Colyear-Danville season opener hosted by Boston University.

Bush posted a 8:54.12 in the 3K, finishing third in the event. Last season she set a school record in the 1000m at the Hokie Invitational with a time of 2:43.30.

Katelyn Tuohy was the first collegiate finisher in the 5000m run, crossing the line in 15:15.92. That ranks No. 9 all-time in college history.

https://gopack.com/news/2023/1/12/indoor-track-nc-state-indoor-team-travels-to-virginia-tech-invitational.aspx
jadawson
Jirah Sidberry opens her season with a win in the Triple Jump, with a distance of 12.71 meters. It was a decent field as she beat Cierra Pyles, a VT Transfer from Ohio State, who finished 2nd in the triple jump at the Big Ten outdoors meet last year, and UVA's Jordan Hardy who finished 6th at ACC Outdoors last year.
jadawson
Notable results for the women on Day 1 of the VT invitational.

Jirah Sidberry wins the Triple Jump with a distance of 12.71 Meters

Ally Henson made it through prelims and finished 4th in the 60m Hurdles with a time of 8.54s

Timara Chapman finished 2nd in the 500M with a time of 1:15.58

Caroline Lewis finished 3rd in the 500M with a time of 1:16.85

Makala Wright threw a massive PB in the Weight Throw to finish third with a distance of 19.05 meters. For reference her PB coming into the meet was 16.86 meters

Mahkayla Hart also threw a PB in the Weight Throw with a distance of 17.15 meters to finish 9th
Wolfer79
thank you
jadawson
Day 2 is complete and now so is the first meet of the official season.

Day 2 notable results for the women

Jirah Sidberry went 2/2 this weekend, winning the Long Jump today with a jump of 5.95 meters (won the Triple Jump yesterday)

Zahra Bichara set a new PB in the Long Jump with a jump of 5.49 meters

Jakerra Covington set a new PB in the High Jump with a jump of 1.55 meters

Caroline Lewis finished 8th in the 400m dash with a time of 59.35s

Ally Henson set a new PB in the 200m dash with a time of 25.44s
Wolfer79
Miami Invitational Day 3 Results
Doubles
@PackWTennis vs Miami
Millie & Nell bt Achong/Tahan 6-3
Abigail & Sophie bt Boch-Collins/Noel 6-4
Anna & Gina lost to Pfennig/Mack 6-3

jadawson
I was looking forward to seeing a full lineup this weekend, but based on the initial entries posted it doesn't appear that quite everyone is running this weekend (though most are). I don't see Katelyn Tuohy, Kelsey Chmiel, Nevada Mareno, Alyssa Hendrix, or Mariah Howlett listed anywhere here. But Sam Bush, Sydney Seymour, Brooke Rauber, Grace Hartman, Gionna Quarzo will all (re)open up their seasons this weekend at the Hokie Invitational.

Entries for the women are as follows (distance runners will very likely only race one race, sprinters probably no more than two)

60m - Imunique Archie, Timara Chapman, Ally Henson

200m - Imunique Archie, Ally Henson

300m - Imunique Archie, Allison Payton

400m - Timara Chapman, Caroline Lewis, Allison Payton

600m - Caroline Lewis

1000m - Samantha Bush, Grace Hartman, Brooke Rauber, Sydney Seymour

1 mile - Grace Hartman, Gionna Quarzo, Brooke Rauber, Sydney Seymour

3000m - Laurel Black, Gionna Quarzo

60m hurdles - Jakerra Covington, Ally Henson,

Long Jump - Zahra Bichara, Timara Chapman, Jakerra Covington, Nahsheeda Facey, Jirah Sidberry

Triple Jump - Jirah Sidberry

Shot Put - Jakerra Covington, Mikieja Covington, Sydney Freeman, Katie Horne

Weight Throw - Sydney Freeman, Mahkayla Hart, Makala Wright

https://flashresults.com/2023_Meets/Indoor/01-20_HokieInvite/entries.pdf
Wolfer79
The NC State indoor track and field teams will return to Blacksburg, Va. this weekend for the Hokie Invitational.

The event will kick off at 5 pm on Friday.

Hokie Invitational
Date: Jan. 20-21
Meet information: Click here
Live Results: Results

https://gopack.com/news/2023/1/19/track-indoor-track-team-returns-to-blacksburg-for-hokie-invitational.aspx
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.