2020-21 NC State wrestling

16,195 Views | 216 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
174: #12 Daniel Bullard (3-1) vs. Jared McGill (4-0)

174 | #12 Daniel Bullard racks up 3:08 of RT in his bout, and captures a dominating 6-0 decision - the Pack's 3rd straight!

#PackMentality // #DoubleDown

@PackWrestle 18 | Pitt 6
SportManagementEngineer
Complete control by Daniel Bullard.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Trey MDB3
Man that ride looked miserable for that kid from Pitt
Wolfer79
184: #4 Trent Hidlay (1-0) vs. #16 Gregg Harvey (4-0)

184 | Another ranked win!

#4 Trent Hidlay scores all 4 takedowns in the bout and adds in 2:29 of RT to come away with an 11-4 win over #16 Harvey - 4 in a row for the Pack!

@PackWrestle 21 | Pitt 6
SportManagementEngineer
Trey MDB3 said:

Man that ride looked miserable for that kid from Pitt
The Bullard's are damn good at two things: scrambling and riding.
Wolfer79
197: Isaac Trumble (3-0) vs. #5 Nino Bonaccorsi (4-0)

197 | TOP-FIVE WIN FOR A FRESHMAN!!!

Fr. Isaac Trumble enters the lineup for the first time this season and scores a 6-1 decision over #5 Nino Bonaccorsi after a huge 4-pt near fall in the second period!!!

@PackWrestle 24 | Pitt 6
SportManagementEngineer
Was hoping to see Reenan take a shot at a top ranked guy at 197, but understand why Pop rested him.
Trey MDB3
Is that why Reenan isn't out there tonight? He needed rest?
SportManagementEngineer
Trey MDB3 said:

Is that why Reenan isn't out there tonight? He needed rest?
No, more likely the team score was already locked up, and Reenan will see him at ACCs
SportManagementEngineer
Isaac Trumble. Welcome to the show.
Wolfer79
285: #18 Deonte Wilson (3-0) vs. Jake Slinger (5-0)

285 | Jr. Deonte Wilson caps off the @PackWrestle home win with a 6-1 win over previously unbeaten Jake Slinger! A pair of takedowns and 2:29 of RT wins the bout!

Trey MDB3
Gotcha. Worked out surprisingly well
Wolfer79
The Wolfpack wins the match over the Pittsburgh Panthers, 27-6.
Wolfer79
We protected our DEN!!!

What a night of @ACCWrestling action, coming away with a top-12 win. @PackWrestle wins the final 6 bouts of the night, including a pair of top-10 upsets and 4 ranked wins overall!

Packchem91
Wolfer79 said:

197: Isaac Trumble (3-0) vs. #5 Nino Bonaccorsi (4-0)

197 | TOP-FIVE WIN FOR A FRESHMAN!!!

Fr. Isaac Trumble enters the lineup for the first time this season and scores a 6-1 decision over #5 Nino Bonaccorsi after a huge 4-pt near fall in the second period!!!

@PackWrestle 24 | Pitt 6
That was awesome. He defended those early shots, and it was almost like he wore the #5 guy down.

Our wrestling team is so fun to watch. So well-coached and polished
82TxPackFan
Great job by Pack wrestlers tonight.

On to UNC next Friday!
AustinWolf828
Made it look easy against the #12 team. Few thoughts:

TRUMBLE!!! My man looked so casual about beating a top 5 opponent in his first acc match haha. Freshman dont come in and ride out people on top their first year in college, let alone a 2 time ncaa qualifier. I wonder what offense he has in neutral but dang he looked solid.

I cant decide if Camacho or Trent is the 2nd best wrestler on the team. Either way glad Trent bounced back from his appendicitis and wore out last years acc champ at 174. Camacho might be my favorite on the team to watch though.

Ed Scott earned at least 2 stall warnings that match. I have experience reffing. I was counting shots. I think Ed earned a stall point. Pitt opponent showed no offense the whole match with a lot of time on his feet. Oh well. Hopefully Scott bounces back. Both of his losses he has gotten thrown while trying to throw someone. High risk moves.

I wish Tariq Wilson would just graduate. He always finds away to try and lose matches he should win.
GuerrillaPack
I'm fairly new to following wrestling. SME or anyone else...how good do you expect the team to be next year, and how well is recruiting going this year? We potentially lose several key seniors after this year. Looking at recent recruiting classes, seems like VT and uncCHeat$ are recruiting on par with us.
SportManagementEngineer
GuerrillaPack said:

I'm fairly new to following wrestling. SME or anyone else...how good do you expect the team to be next year, and how well is recruiting going this year? We potentially lose several key seniors after this year. Looking at recent recruiting classes, seems like VT and uncCHeat$ are recruiting on par with us.

We won't be as good next year as we are this year (just on the assumption that we won't have back 5 redshirt seniors). You're looking at losing Tariq Wilson, Hayden Hidlay, both Bullard twins, and Nick Reenan. Yes, there are very talented guys waiting in the wings, but that's possibly 5 all Americans. This year's team has a legitimate shot at the best NCAA finish in school history.

Recruiting is very solid, unc and VT can't match what we've stacked the last couple years. I mean, we had a true freshman take out the #5 kid in the country tonight. We are super deep and will probably have 8 ranked guys next year (five from tonight's lineup), it just won't be the elite level stack of guys we're punishing teams with now. Next year, Camacho and Trent Hidlay will be our two big national champion contenders.
Wolfer79
Extra results:
Jack major dec. Newell 12-3
Orine dec. Michaels 4-2
Lewis WBF Cherry 6:27
Roberts dec. Petrucelli 5-2
Kernan dec. Barnes 12-8
O'Brien dec. Cates 6-5
Reinert dec. Csencsits 6-5
Lledo WBF Ferreria 5:53
Meglino dec. Knop 4-0
Reenan dec. Cooley 9-5
Trephan major dec. Rickert 14-4
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Up Next: The Pack will be in road action next Friday night, as the Pack travels to #14 North Carolina. The dual will be televised on the ACC Network.
Wolfer79

No. 4 NC State wrestling (4-0, 2-0 ACC) asserted its dominance at home on Friday, Jan 22 against the No. 12 Pittsburgh Panthers (3-1, 1-1 ACC). The top-15 matchup saw the Wolfpack win eight of 10 duals and a true freshman upset a top-five opponent in NC State's 21st consecutive dual win, which leads the NCAA.

The match got off to a hot-and-cold start for the Pack, as No. 5 redshirt sophomore Jakob Camacho posted a 13-5 win. Camacho made five takedowns in his dual, including three in the third period. Camacho's victory was followed by a close 4-2 loss for No. 16 redshirt sophomore Jarrett Trombley, putting the match score at 4-3 in favor of the Pack.

With the Wolfpack and Panthers matching each other blow-for-blow early on, the third bout played a pivotal role in swinging the momentum. No. 11 redshirt senior Tariq Wilson's top-15 showdown against No. 14 Cole Matthews resulted in a double-overtime thriller.

Wilson's 4-1 lead after two periods was erased by Matthews in the third to force overtime at five points apiece. After a scoreless first overtime, Wilson scored a reversal to secure a 7-5 victory in the dual and put NC State ahead 7-3.

"You give up a little mental lapse, you're winning with 20 seconds to go up by three, you have got to have that savviness to know not to give up a takedown...but he gutted it out," said head coach Pat Popolizio. "Honestly, I'm glad it played out like that, that he gutted it out in a very tough match against a tough opponent. When you're in a tight dual meet, wrestling against a team that's 12th in the country, you need every match you can; you don't know how things are going to play out in the later part of the lineup."

The Panthers attempted to claw back when Pitt's Luke Kemerer took down Wolfpack freshman Ed Scott with 10 seconds left in regular time to beat Scott 3-2, pulling Pitt within one point at 7-6. The Pack quickly responded with a 19-2 tech-fall victory from No. 2 redshirt senior Hayden Hidlay, who forced three four-point near falls in the second period, catapulting NC State to a 12-6 lead heading into intermission.

The Wolfpack wasted no time in building on its lead from the first half of the match, as the Bullard twins ensured that the Wolfpack did not squander its six-point lead. No. 17 redshirt senior Thomas Bullard upset Pitt's No. 7 Jake Wentzel 4-3, sealing the deal with a takedown halfway through the third period. No. 12 redshirt senior Daniel Bullard took care of business with a 6-0 shutout win in the 174-pound match to put NC State ahead 18-6.

No. 4 redshirt sophomore Trent Hidlay piled on some more points for the Pack with his 11-4 win. Hidlay monopolized the takedown department with four to No. 16 Pittsburgh Panther Gregg Harvey's zero, but Hidlay's outing was overshadowed by the shocking victory from NC State freshman Isaac Trumble that followed.

Despite his lack of experience at the collegiate level, Trumble was raring to go, even against Pitt's No. 5 Nino Bonaccorsi. After holding his own in a scoreless first period and penalty for locked hands early the second, Trumble seized his opportunity to make a mark on the match and notched six unanswered points to pull off the upset.

"I've always been a guy that gets up early," Trumble said. "Even this summer, even during COVID times, I like to try and get in some work while everyone is sleeping. It makes me feel good about myself. After that stuff, I like to reward myself with a cup of coffee, so that gets me going for work and then my classes, and then I'm ready for practice later in the day."

Having a freshman who can come in and get a win like that is something any coach would love to have in their program and Popolizio is no exception.

"[Trumble] came here to win a national title," Popolizio said. "The kid is about as disciplined as you can get. Wakes up every morning at 5 a.m., he's out running He's an awesome kid to have in the program."

The match wrapped up with a 6-1 win by NC State's No. 18 junior Deonte Wilson, making the final match score 27-6 in favor of NC State.

Wolfpack wrestling will look to continue its winning ways on the road in Chapel Hill against No. 14 North Carolina on Friday, Jan 29. The dual meet will start at 6 p.m.

"We know where we stand as a program, with our history and our tradition and our expectations, it's to win," Popolizio said. "It doesn't matter who we have, we expect to

Packchem91
SportManagementEngineer said:

GuerrillaPack said:

We won't be as good next year as we are this year (just on the assumption that we won't have back 5 redshirt seniors). You're looking at losing Tariq Wilson, Hayden Hidlay, both Bullard twins, and Nick Reenan. Yes, there are very talented guys waiting in the wings, but that's possibly 5 all Americans. This year's team has a legitimate shot at the best NCAA finish in school history.

Recruiting is very solid, unc and VT can't match what we've stacked the last couple years. I mean, we had a true freshman take out the #5 kid in the country tonight. We are super deep and will probably have 8 ranked guys next year (five from tonight's lineup), it just won't be the elite level stack of guys we're punishing teams with now. Next year, Camacho and Trent Hidlay will be our two big national champion contenders.
Good info....thx!

The announcer said this last night, but man, how awesome would it have been to have a full house there last night when Trumble made that move at the end of the 2nd period.
GuerrillaPack
SportManagementEngineer said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Thanks. I definitely expect us to take a small step back next year, assuming we lose those five seniors. I just hope we are positioned to remain as the top team in the ACC, and even next year. Just looking at the recent recruiting rankings, it looks like VT and the cheats are recruiting right at our level, just a couple spots behind us in the rankings. But I don't know a lot about the rankings -- such as how reliable they are.

Hopefully, you have several of these highly ranked freshman step up next year to fill the void of the departing seniors -- including Trumble (197), Ryan Jack (141?), Dylan Reinert (174), AJ Kovacs (157/165?), Ed Scott (149/157?).
packgrad
Freaking ESPN's on demand is the dang extra matches. I didn't get to see any after Daniel last night. Really wanted to be able to watch Trumble. Hope they get it fixed.
SportManagementEngineer
Assuming what we saw from Isaac Trumble last night at 197 was not a fluke- he was a big time recruit and an absolute beast as a prep in Nebraska, but you never really know from one college match, you're looking at only 4 weight classes that need to be filled: 141, 157, 165, 174

At 141, Ryan Jack was a big time recruit and is 6-1 at 133 this season. He was recruited with the expectation he'd be at 141. Kai Orrine has looked good in limited action- going 20-6 last year at 133 and 5-1 this year at 141. You're in good hands here.

At 157, I think you could see one of Hunter Lewis, Ed Scott, or AJ Kovacs. Scott is 3-2 and holding down 149 for now, though he has struggled against good competition. He'd have to bulk up to be successful at 157, though. Lewis is an intriguing option. He missed last year after knee surgery and has been dominant in his extra matches at 149. He's 5-0 with 5 pins. Kovacs is already at 157, and he's 2-2 on the year. He's only faced one quality opponent (App State) and got pinned in under a minute.

Obviously, a huge drop off from Hayden Hidlay but there are intriguing options already on the roster.

At 165, you could see a really open competition. Luckily, there are a few highly ranked guys who will be in the mix. Tyler Barnes has been in the program for three years and is 22-13, all at 165. Donald Cates is a local guy in his second year at State and is 13-8. You'll probably have incoming freshmen competing here, too. This is a concerning spot in the lineup for next year.

174 is a similar situation to 165. There will be multiple wrestle-offs to figure out the starter. A safe option on the roster is Alex Faison. He's 34-18 overall at State, but is 21-7 the last two seasons at 174. Dylan Reinert, a true freshman has struggled this year (1-5) but was a big time recruit out of PA (ranked top 10 at 170). Should we see the usual big improvement from first to second year, he will be a factor next season. You also have Jake Cook, who has been in the program for 3 years (12-15).

State won't be as dominant next year, but if you replaced the four seniors from last night with one of these guys, we probably still win that duel.
Wolfer79
rebroadcast of last night match on ACC Network
started at 4pm
Wolfer79
| CONGRATS to Fr. @isaactrumble_ for being named @theopenmat College Wrestler of the Week after he downed #5 Bonaccorsi of Pitt 6-1 in the ACC dual!

#PackMentality

https://t.co/CNR5zx7Ycg
WilmingtonPackman777

If you missed it.

Heck of a beat down right there.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Moving on

After spending the first 4 weeks of the season ranked #4 nationally, @PackWrestle moves up to #3 this week in the latest @nwcawrestling Coaches Poll!

#PackMentality

Wolfer79
NC State true freshman Isaac Trumble has been named the Atlantic Coast Conference Wrestler of the Week following his stunning win at 197 pounds in his collegiate dual debut.

Trumble upset Pitt's No. 5-ranked Nino Bonaccorsi in a 6-1 decision that helped the No. 4 Wolfpack to a 27-6 win over the No. 12 Panthers in ACC Network's Friday Night Dual matchup of ranked teams. Trumble was also recognized as the National Wrestler of the Week by The Open Mat.

After a scoreless first period, Trumble got a second period ride out and a four-point near-fall as time expired in the second. He added an escape to start the third period, and them added the ride-time point to his winning margin.

Bonaccorsi is the highest ranked opponent defeated by a Wolfpack wrestler this season. The decision marked the first top-5 win for an NC State true freshman since Kevin Jack at the 2015 NCAA Championships, and the first such win for a Wolfpack true freshman in a dual since John Carreon versus UNC in 1999. Trumble is a perfect 4-0 in all matches this season, with three wins via pins.
Wolfer79
What better way to spend your Friday night then to watch #3 @PackWrestle take on #14 UNC at 6 PM on the @accnetwork!

Wolfer79
Technician

.@PackWrestle will face rival UNC, who it hasn't lost to since 2013, as it looks to remain undefeated this year.

ACC Wrestler of the Week Isaac Trumble could be matched up with Max Shaw, who is coming off an 11-3 major decision against Duke
@katpeters15
https://t.co/pUtyct9txh

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.