2020-21 NC State wrestling

16,201 Views | 216 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wolfer79
SportManagementEngineer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He lost, but impressed with Reenan. Jay Aiello is a national championship contender and Reenan was there and had a couple chances to tie late. He's going to have to figure out his go to takedown at 197, an issue he had last year.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Trey MDB3
Camacho has been a ton of fun to watch so far
SportManagementEngineer
Trey MDB3 said:

Almost feels like anything les than All-American would be a disappointment. That's lofty, but he can do it.
Bluegrace99
Anyone have a rundown of the extra matches that just finished? Screens too small to identify the wrestlers. Other than Owen Trephans win that's all I could see.
packgrad
SportManagementEngineer said:

He lost, but impressed with Reenan. Jay Aiello is a national championship contender and Reenan was there and had a couple chances to tie late. He's going to have to figure out his go to takedown at 197, an issue he had last year.

Agreed. He almost had a reversal at the end too. Really excited for him this year.
packgrad
Trey MDB3 said:

I missed his match tonight unfortunately. He's definitely one to watch.
Wolfer79
Bluegrace99 said:

Anyone have a rundown of the extra matches that just finished? Screens too small to identify the wrestlers. Other than Owen Trephans win that's all I could see.

125: Book dec. Noto - 11-5 (SV1)
141: Cedone dec. Orine - 5-4
141: Urquiza dec. Kiyono - 3-1
133: Trombley dec. Buchannan - 5-1
157: Sanson dec. Kovacs - 11-5
165: Barnes WBF Phillips - 4:40
149: Lewis WBF Costa - 2:37
174: Patrick INJ Reinert
184: Ferreira dec. Steward - 6-3
184: Faison major dec. Kinsey - 17-4
197: Trumble WBF Weatherspoon - 2:52
285: Trephan major dec. Knight - 16-6
Redwolf55
Anyone have a link to last nights match? I can not get the ESPN + to work for on demand.
Bluegrace99
Thank You!
AustinWolf828
Just got a chance to finish watching.

Camacho might be my favorite wrestler on the team to watch. Dude has a motor and never stops. Looks good in every position. Only reason he gives up points is from giving people so many escapes.

Why no Tromble. Ryan Jack looked like a freshman out there. Didnt set up any shots. Had no defense. No first move on top or bottom. Hopefully he learns from the experience but if he is our option at 133 this year thats gonna be a weak spot in our duel lineup.

Classic Wilson. Go up early and then have no energy for the rest of the match and do nothing. He has to have the worst conditioning of any college wrestler I've ever seen. I want freshman Wilson back.

Ed Scott looks like another big time freshman coming in to be a top 10 wrestler in our program for 10 years. Dude was dominant in his first ACC match. He works non stop and looks good in all 3 positions. Biggest difference between high school and college is being dominant on top and he looks to already be there.

Hidley does ALL of the little things so perfectly. He is so fundamentally sound. Beast mode.

I dont know that Thomas looked that off. He put forth more effort than Tariq. He got out scrambled for a takedown and gave up 2 danger points. (Which the announcer mistaking called near fall) He wasn't setting up his shot very well but maybe is still recovering from whatever had him miss Gardner Webb.

Daniel won good job.

Welcome back Trent. Raise the roof. Good stuff.

Reenan hung in there. His biggest problem is he did so much Greko and freestyle he is really bad on top and bottom. Cant get ridden out for 2 minutes. Virginia guy was good though.

That being said. Impressive that Wilson could ride his guy out for 2 minutes. Good stuff.

That announcer was horrible. I wish Ryan Tice would do every match. I dont know that this guy knows anything about wrestling. Just call me up and I could do better analysis haha
AustinWolf828
SportManagementEngineer said:

Trey MDB3 said:

Almost feels like anything les than All-American would be a disappointment. That's lofty, but he can do it.

He beat Mueller last year. He should be considered a contender to win it all.
AustinWolf828
Redwolf55 said:

Anyone have a link to last nights match? I can not get the ESPN + to work for on demand.

I just watched the replay on ESPN app with no problems.
Wolfer79
.@PackWrestle is off to a predictably perfect start to its season but will soon have its mettle tested. @Jaylan__1's takeaways:

Lack of nonconference plays a non-factor
True freshman impress
Nick Reenan's return
Thomas Bullard struggling
Looking Ahead
https://t.co/GgRVoUxdD5
Wolfer79
.@PackWrestle heads into its toughest matchup of the season when it takes on No. 12 Pittsburgh on Friday, Jan. 22.

Pitt is headlined by two-time defending ACC Champion No. 4 Micky Phillippi, who will take on No. 16 Jarrett Trombley.
@rachelbilenki
https://t.co/5UvTVJMF7W
SportManagementEngineer
Pitt is very solid. Need to get bonus points out of our stars or this could be really tight. Nick Reenan gets another shot at a big time opponent at 197.
Wolfer79
GoPack preview

A top-12 showdown Friday night in Reynolds Coliseum, as the #4 NC State Wrestling team will host #12 Pitt. The dual will start at 6 p.m., and will be televised on the ACC Network.

PROBABLE LINEUPS
#4 NC State (3-0, 1-0 ACC)
125: #5 R-So. Jakob Camacho (4-0)
133: #16 R-So. Jarrett Trombley (4-0)
141: #11 R-Sr. Tariq Wilson (4-0)
149: Fr. Ed Scott (3-1)
157: #2 R-Sr. Hayden Hidlay (4-0)
165: #17 R-Sr. Thomas Bullard (1-2)
174: #12 R-Sr. Daniel Bullard (3-1)
184: #4 R-So. Trent Hidlay (1-0)
197: R-Sr. Nick Reenan (3-1)
285: #18 Jr. Deonte Wilson (3-0)

#12 Pitt (3-0. 1-0 ACC)
125: R-Fr. Colton Camacho (3-2)
133: #4 R-Jr. Micky Phillippi (4-0)
141: #14 R-So. Cole Matthews (2-1)
149: R-So. Luke Kemerer (1-3)
157: Fr. Tyler Badgett (2-1)
165: #7 R-Sr. Jake Wentzel (4-0)
174: R-Fr. Jared McGill (4-0)
184: #16 R-Sr. Gregg Harvey (4-0)
197: #5 R-Jr. Nino Bonaccorsi (4-0)
285: So. Jake Slinger (5-0)

FEATURED BOUTS
133: #16 Jarrett Trombley vs. #4 Micky Phillippi
Trombley returns to the Pack's lineup and will face his first ranked foe of the season. Trombley is 4-0 on the season, and one of five ACC wrestlers ranked at this weight. Phillippi has won an ACC title in both of his seasons at this weight, and is the highest ranked ACC wrestler at 133 pounds. The two met in last year's dual, a 4-0 decision for Phillippi.

141: #11 Tariq Wilson vs. #14 Cole Matthews
Wilson comes in 4-0, with three bonus point wins and an 8-6 win at UVA last week thanks to a late reversal. After dropping his first bout of the season, Matthews has won his last two. The two met three times last season, and Wilson took all three close battles (2-1 TB1 at Southern Scuffle, 5-2 in the dual, 10-9 at ACC Championship).

165: #17 Thomas Bullard vs. #7 Jake Wentzel
After missing action to start the season, Bullard has dropped both of his dual matches in 2021, after starting the season ranked #8 nationally. Wentzel was the 2020 ACC Champion at this weight, and has won his last seven bouts including 4-0 this season. The two met twice last season, and Bullard took close decisions each time (4-1 at Southern Scuffle and 3-1 in the dual).
Wolfer79
packgrad
Wolfer79 said:

Dope. I want to be friends with Pop.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
@pat_popolizio joined the #PackerAndDurham show this morning to talk about @PackWrestle & the matchup with Pitt tonight at 6 PM on @accnetwork.

https://t.co/YSJZqPU4Iq
GuerrillaPack
Big dual tonight in Reynolds. Would love to be able to attend this in person. Outside of the "big revenue" sports, it's a really exciting time in NC State athletics -- with wrestling and women's basketball top 5 in the nation, as well as the continued dominance in swimming, and women's CC. Men's and women's tennis are both ranked #8 in the country. Really wish I could attend the club ice hockey games also, as their team is loaded and should once again be ACCHL champs.
Wolfer79
AustinWolf828
Anyone else's useless espn app saying it doesn't start until 815
Wolfer79
125: #5 Jakob Camacho (4-0) vs. Colton Camacho (3-2)

125 | BONUS to start!!!

A trio of 3rd period takedowns leads to a 13-5 major decision for #5 Jakob Camacho!

#PackMentality // #DoubleDown

@PackWrestle 4 | Pitt 0
SportManagementEngineer
Yea had to search by channel and go to ACC network
SportManagementEngineer
Camacho started slow then got into a rhythm. That's a kid he should get bonus points on, and het worked til the final whistle to get the major decision. Great start.
Wolfer79
133: #16 Jarrett Trombley (4-0) vs. #4 Micky Phillippi (4-0)

133 | #16 Trombley gets a late reversal, but #4 Phillippi gets the RT point and a 4-2 win.

@PackWrestle 4 | Pitt 3
SportManagementEngineer
Trombley is a really good wrestler, but he has to get better on bottom if he's going to get to that next level.
Wolfer79
141: #11 Tariq Wilson (4-0) vs. #14 Cole Matthews (2-1)

141 | Top-15 win!!!

R-Sr. Tariq Wilson needed OT, but a reversal scores the win as #11 Wilson defeats #14 Matthew!

@PackWrestle 7 | Pitt 3
SportManagementEngineer
Wilson makes things tougher on himself. He can take anyone down, and yet, so many matches he looks disinterested. Good work to win in overtime, but no reason he should have bit hit with stalling twice and then caught in a barnyard right at the end of the third.
Wolfer79
149: Ed Scott (3-1) vs. Luke Kemerer (1-3)

149 | Call stands but Kemerer still claims 3-2 win over Scott.

@PackWrestle 7 | Pitt 6
SportManagementEngineer
Scott should have beat that kid. He looked like a freshman there without a plan in the third period. He's got to work earlier in the match to score on a guy like that. That's twice now (Wilson, too) that one of our guys got caught in a throw right at the end of the third period. That can't happen.
Wolfer79
157: #2 Hayden Hidlay (4-0) vs. Tyler Badgett (2-1)

157 | A Technical performance for BONUS points!!!

R-Sr. Hayden Hidlay scores three 4-pt near falls in the second period to end his match early via tech fall, 19-2!

@PackWrestle 12 | Pitt 6 - at intermission
Wolfer79
165: #17 Thomas Bullard (1-2) vs. #7 Jake Wentzel (4-0)

165 | Top-10 Win!!!

#17 Thomas Bullard scores a takedown in the second and opens third with a reversal for a 4-3 win over #7 Wentzel!

@PackWrestle 15 | Pitt 6
SportManagementEngineer
Welcome back Thomas Bullard. Atta boy!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.