Paris Olympics

3,036 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Glasswolf
Packchem91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know everyone is busy being angry about the pending election, but I love the summer Olympics.
Highlights of the first week

1) Noah Lyles wow, dude backed the talk. That whole scene was electric.

2) Marchand with a dominant performance in the pool. Always liked Olympic swimming and the noise when that guy was swimming with the home fans was great

3) even in a relatively"down" year, we still beat the Aussies for most golds

4) cool scene to see how the people in St Lucia celebrated when their girl won the 100m dash for women

5) love Scottie Scheffler even more for his reaction during the national anthem. He's a stoic guy but lost it there

6) the male French pole vaulter lost "by inches" but is probably winning in the Olympic village
TheStorm
All I can remember is that someone posted here fairly recently that Scheffler is nothing but milquetoast... **** that.

I'll take milquetoast over anything else out there everyday of the week and twice on weekends!
Glasswolf
They've been really good this year. Katie Ledecky, Simone Biles, Noah Lyles, MBB, WBB. Women's Rugby was amazing. The Turkish shooter lol. Snoop has been his usual self. The story about Flava Flav sponsoring the Women's Water Polo team was great. Several NC State Athletes are shinning. Looks like both men's and women's wrestling start today.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Packchem91
TheStorm said:

All I can remember is that someone posted here fairly recently that Scheffler is nothing but milquetoast... **** that.

I'll take milquetoast over anything else out there everyday of the week and twice on weekends!

Yeah, he's no showman, but he's a class guy and, at least in my opinion, the perfect kind of guy to pull for. And happens to be the best golfer in the world.

Unfortunate it was on so early yesterday (i was at church and missed it) as it was perfect for TV with an awesome leaderboard
Packchem91
Glasswolf said:

They've been really good this year. Katie Ledecky, Simone Biles, Noah Lyles, MBB, WBB. Women's Rugby was amazing. The Turkish shooter lol. Snoop has been his usual self. The story about Flava Flav sponsoring the Women's Water Polo team was great. Several NC State Athletes are shinning. Looks like both men's and women's wrestling start today.

Good point on Biles. My daughter is about as non-sports as can be but didn't miss a moment of the women's gymnastics. It was funny to her her rooting for the US and against the others like we all do a bit. And Biles is amazing to watch

The segment last night with Snoop at the equestrian event was great. Talking about the "driver" of the horse, lol. He's been a good add. Much funnier than some of the SNL cast members they've thrown out there
wilmwolf
TheStorm said:

That someone was me, and I still stand by that statement. And I didn't say he was nothing but milquetoast, I said his personality was, and he's not alone in that category. Was never said to detract from how good he has been, it was said in a discussion about growing the game. There's a reason guys like Fowler have been super popular despite not winning much of note, it's because they have personality and style, whether we like their style or not, and that is appealing to younger fans. Scottie has had an amazing year on the course, and yet to some the most interesting thing he did this year was getting arrested. I'm super happy for him winning the gold, it was obviously a very emotional thing for him. Doesn't change my opinion about his personality though.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
packofwolves
I think the coverage has been much better than past years. Have been able to watch many events and highlights with the Peacock app.
Glasswolf
Packchem91 said:

Glasswolf said:

Good point on Biles. My daughter is about as non-sports as can be but didn't miss a moment of the women's gymnastics. It was funny to her her rooting for the US and against the others like we all do a bit. And Biles is amazing to watch

The segment last night with Snoop at the equestrian event was great. Talking about the "driver" of the horse, lol. He's been a good add. Much funnier than some of the SNL cast members they've thrown out there

Did you see/hear him do commentary on badminton? It was classic snoop dog

Packchem91
Glasswolf said:

Packchem91 said:

Glasswolf said:

Yeah that was great. Speaking of broadcast / commentary our guy Terry Gannon got the plum job of the gymnastics. He's one of the best multi-talented guys in the industry
Glasswolf
Packchem91 said:

Glasswolf said:

Packchem91 said:

Glasswolf said:

Yeah that was great. Speaking of broadcast / commentary our guy Terry Gannon got the plum job of the gymnastics. He's one of the best multi-talented guys in the industry

Terry will most likely do figure skating for the Winter Olympics

packgrad
Hell of a basketball game. Good to see Curry have a day.
Glasswolf
Well I was interested in the whole Flava Flav angle with the Women's Water Polo team so I decided to watch my very first one. Naturally they lost and will not win their 4th straight Gold Medal lol. Watching Ladies Volleyball take on Brazil now.

wolf howl
I am enjoying having it in Paris with the time difference and being able to have it on in the office during the day and catching some in the background while working, that's nice.

Good win by the men's team today, figured Serbia would be the toughest test on the way to the gold medal match and it was.
Packchem91
wolf howl said:

I am enjoying having it in Paris with the time difference and being able to have it on in the office during the day and catching some in the background while working, that's nice.

Good win by the men's team today, figured Serbia would be the toughest test on the way to the gold medal match and it was.

Imagine being in a knock out game and having a 17 point lead and feeling good, but looking up and your opponent is rolling out Lebron, KD, Curry and Embiid.
As a fan, it's a moment you'd have to say, "are you freaking kidding me" (or however they say that in Serbia)
Packchem91
It's a shame Noah Lyles likely is done. He was "must see TV". Even in the way it ended, it was must see TV
GuerrillaPack
I could not care less about men's or women's basketball on an international level...or any professional level (NBA, etc). I also hate watching soccer in general but can enjoy it when the United States is playing in the World Cup or Olympics. I love watching the Olympics especially to see #1 swimming,#2 indoor volleyball as long as the United States is performing well, and #3 track and field....and then to a only a slightly lesser degree will get excited to see basically any other sport that the Americans are exceling in -- including (this year) rugby, tennis, cycling, wrestling, rowing, water polo, beach volleyball, triathlon. Enjoy watching a little bit of the table tennis even if the U.S. is not involved.

Also, it's strange that NBC has been showing the diving for around 45-60 minutes in their primetime coverage (in the 8-9pm time slot) for the last 3 nights, when the United States is not in contention, and everyone knows that China will win. Why is NBC force feeding us that crap when they could re-air something that the United States did well in? Very weird.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Bockwinkle
Things not weird:
NBC shilling for Chy Nah

Things weird:
Civ's dad for VP
WarrenPeace
Watching Parker Valby race the 10,000 meter for the USA at the moment. Valby and Touhy were rivals in college but Valby has definitely passed her in the last year. Wish we had Touhy at the Olympics but Valby pretty fun to watch too.
TheStorm
I mean, I hope people here realize that one of the longstanding traditions of the Olympics is to show athletes from other countries and all... China is actually a solid second to us in total medals, I would think that's going to get a lot of their athletes on the air.

Just saying.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

I mean, I hope people here realize that one of the longstanding traditions of the Olympics is to show athletes from other countries and all... China is actually a solid second to us in total medals, I would think that's going to get a lot of their athletes on the air.

Just saying.

It's called people looking for issues. Just enjoy the competition and occasional stories.
Packfan89
That's a man!

(Women's boxing medal winner.)
Packfan89
TheStorm said:

Just saying.
They also make an effort to show a variety of sports. That fuels most of my interest in the Olympics. Otherwise I'd never watch pole vaulting, synchronized swimming, equestrian, etc...
Packchem91
Packfan89 said:

TheStorm said:

Just saying.
They also make an effort to show a variety of sports. That fuels most of my interest in the Olympics. Otherwise I'd never watch pole vaulting, synchronized swimming, equestrian, etc...

And break dancing!
Bockwinkle
Packchem91 said:

Packfan89 said:

TheStorm said:

Just saying.

And break dancing!

I thought you were joking.

Then I saw it.

Nothing like watching white Lithuanian women wearing do-rags do the worm. Badly.

I was better in 1983 on the kitchen linoleum.

GuerrillaPack
I turned it on this morning and saw the break dancing was on, and had to turn it away after 3 seconds. This is embarrassing, and has no place in the Olympics.

If we want to talk about sports that should be added to the Olympics, ultimate frisbee is actually one that should probably be added. And I'm not joking. I recently started playing this sport again myself. They have a professional league for ultimate in the United States called the AUDL (American Ultimate Disc League), and it is a widely played sport in colleges and universities at the club level all over the country. Additionally, and to meet the qualification of the IOC, this sport is widely played in a large part of the world. They've had major international tournaments for at least the last few decades, and from what I've seen from watching some of the old tournaments on YouTube virtually all European nations, many south American nations, Australia, Japan, Canada are very good and mainstays in these tournaments...and the United States is the powerhouse, of course.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
GuerrillaPack
Watching this women's soccer final. My thoughts...the Brazilian players are flopping a ton, trying to get foul calls. The U.S. striker #10 is slow and not quick enough and not putting in enough hustle and effort. The female commentator is annoying.
Glasswolf
Ladies are living dangerously.

Glasswolf
1-0 USWNT 60 Minutes in

Glasswolf
+10 is a awful lot of extra time

GuerrillaPack
They just said Nikki Hiltz was "the first non-binary person to compete in the Olympics" or some chit

LMFAOOO
Bockwinkle
GuerrillaPack said:

They just said Nikki Hiltz was "the first non-binary person to compete in the Olympics" or some chit

LMFAOOO

It's a cult.

Weird.
Glasswolf
Jordan Chiles is being forced to return her Bronze Medal. Tell them she will return it if they give the 72 team the Gold Medals they stole from that team.

Realsouthwolf
Interesting note on those 1972 medals. They are in a lockbox in Switzerland, I think, and the players can get them if they want.
None have.
GuerrillaPack
I made the mistake of watching some of this women's basketball final, because nothing else is going on. This is HORRENDOUS basketball - tons of TERRIBLE turnovers, both teams shooting about 20%, a foul on almost every possession. The US have twice as many turnovers in the first half than field goals. They even miss about 70% of layup and point blank shot attempts. It's like watching middle school girls play basketball.
Glasswolf
Realsouthwolf said:

Interesting note on those 1972 medals. They are in a lockbox in Switzerland, I think, and the players can get them if they want.
None have.
They talk every Olympics (the surviving members). Every single time they veto the idea.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.