International / Club soccer

35,393 Views | 559 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SexualChocolate
Packchem91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
shut it down if there is another thread on this topic that I missed...but I figure there are bound to be enough fans to keep a thread alive.

USMNT - Mexico in Gold Cup final. This has to be our B, B- team? Certainly no revelations at striker position. Turner has at least helped himself, though at a position where there is rarely any change. Are there any guys from this group that will help the actual qualifying squad? I know people were high on Dike, and he looks like a freak, but wasn't overly impressive against even decent comp.

All that said, beat Mexico!
Packchem91
Both teams have missed "must finish" opportunities tonight
SportManagementEngineer
Packchem91 said:

Both teams have missed "must finish" opportunities tonight
There's a lid on both goals
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
WarrenPeace
Damn good game.
Packchem91
WarrenPeace said:

Damn good game.
About as many well-setup scoring opportunities as you can have in a scoreless game! Entertaining, especially given the rivalry
Packchem91
Beautiful set piece goal for US. 1-0 late
Steve Videtich
Hell of a tournament! Especially when you consider 5-6 of your top players didn't play. US Soccer is young and deep in talent.
Steve Videtich
I wanted to add to this thread, our very own Tab Ramos deserves a bit of appreciation for the current group of USMNT members. He was the coach of the US U20 team for several years while Klinsmann lead the senior team. He coached many of these current players and took them to a couple U20 World Cups.

Nice job by a Wolfpack great that deserves some recognition!
SexualChocolate
This was our B/C team. I think maybe 4-5 of these players will make our World Cup team. Turner has done a lot and has earned the top 2 goalie spots. Even though Tab had a lot to do with the young group of players that were identified by US coaching staff, the decision to send most of the players overseas to play in the better European leagues has been great. We do not need to be starting MLS players for our National Team. We have tons of talent gaining valuable experience playing in Europe.
statefan91
SexualChocolate said:

This was our B/C team. I think maybe 4-5 of these players will make our World Cup team. Turner has done a lot and has earned the top 2 goalie spots. Even though Tab had a lot to do with the young group of players that were identified by US coaching staff, the decision to send most of the players overseas to play in the better European leagues has been great. We do not need to be starting MLS players for our National Team. We have tons of talent gaining valuable experience playing in Europe.
Which World Cup team ? Unfortunate that we didn't qualify, that hurts.

For European leagues, I have the unfortunate honor of picking Arsenal about 7 or 8 years ago when Wenger was still there. They have fallen off a bit of a cliff unfortunately and don't look destined for Champions League any time soon.
SexualChocolate
statefan91 said:

SexualChocolate said:

For European leagues, I have the unfortunate honor of picking Arsenal about 7 or 8 years ago when Wenger was still there. They have fallen off a bit of a cliff unfortunately and don't look destined for Champions League any time soon.

We should be able to qualify this year for next years World Cup was what I was referring to. We are still very young with Pulisic, Reyna, Mussa, McKinnie, Dest, Adams, Steffen, Sargent, and Weah. There is no guarantees that we will qualify like we didn't last time but this is a whole new team. The last time we tried to qualify, we were old and the majority of all the players were MLS players.

Im a Liverpool fan so it's been a good run for us lately but I started pulling for Liverpool when Brendan Rodgers was the manager. Klopp has turned that team around.
statefan91
Rodgers has been impressive at Leicester, not sure what I think about Arteta at this point.
Packchem91
SexualChocolate said:

statefan91 said:

SexualChocolate said:

We should be able to qualify this year for next years World Cup was what I was referring to. We are still very young with Pulisic, Reyna, Mussa, McKinnie, Dest, Adams, Steffen, Sargent, and Weah. There is no guarantees that we will qualify like we didn't last time but this is a whole new team. The last time we tried to qualify, we were old and the majority of all the players were MLS players.

Im a Liverpool fan so it's been a good run for us lately but I started pulling for Liverpool when Brendan Rodgers was the manager. Klopp has turned that team around.
Agreed on your points. Landing our top talent in Europe's top leagues is of great value. Only tradeoff with that is, given the condensed WC qualifying schedule (basically 3 games per month for the next 4+ months), can those guys get away from their club teams. Though I suspect the SA players have the same challenge, and the European club schedules will be set to help accommodate?

The only other concern, to your point is....while the talent level is much higher now, many of tehse guys will not have had a huge national road game where they are expected to deliver. Seems simple, but we've proven over the years that even in CONCACAF, those road games can be major stumbling blocks.
SexualChocolate
Packchem91 said:

SexualChocolate said:

statefan91 said:

SexualChocolate said:

Agreed on your points. Landing our top talent in Europe's top leagues is of great value. Only tradeoff with that is, given the condensed WC qualifying schedule (basically 3 games per month for the next 4+ months), can those guys get away from their club teams. Though I suspect the SA players have the same challenge, and the European club schedules will be set to help accommodate?

The only other concern, to your point is....while the talent level is much higher now, many of tehse guys will not have had a huge national road game where they are expected to deliver. Seems simple, but we've proven over the years that even in CONCACAF, those road games can be major stumbling blocks.

Great points and those CONCACAF road games are really tough but I like the makeup of this team. I think offensively, we can score goals but Defense is a problem. We are missing a partner with Brooks if he plays a flat 4 but Berhalter likes the back 3. I had my doubts about Berhalter but he has done a great job so far but the true test is making next years World Cup.
Packchem91
SexualChocolate said:

Packchem91 said:

SexualChocolate said:

statefan91 said:

SexualChocolate said:

Great points and those CONCACAF road games are really tough but I like the makeup of this team. I think offensively, we can score goals but Defense is a problem. We are missing a partner with Brooks if he plays a flat 4 but Berhalter likes the back 3. I had my doubts about Berhalter but he has done a great job so far but the true test is making next years World Cup.
Its funny....i've thought for the last several years that our back line was horrible.....but in the Gold Cup, we actually had some really strong performances (certainly enabled by Turner's excellent performance).
I know the WC is a much different level though, and not sure any of the guys who played in GC back line would knock off a guy above them?

As for Berhalter....indeed, we've done better this summer than I feared we would with him, but I need 6 more months to see how we do in "real" games before I change my view of him.
That said, everyone thought the Mexico hire of Martino was a slam dunk, and after back-to-back losses to the US, I'd guess he's getting ton of heat in Mexico about right now....so you just never know.
Steve Videtich
Yea, the key in WC qualifying is to take care of the teams you should and take care of home turf. I think the Gold Cup showed that we have the depth to compete in the schedule they've implemented.

If they don't qualify, it'll be a bigger disappointment than the last go round imo. I think this team has captured some attention from the general public. They have definitely raised some eyebrows within CONCACAF. It'll be fun to watch for sure.
Packchem91
Steve Videtich said:

Yea, the key in WC qualifying is to take care of the teams you should and take care of home turf. I think the Gold Cup showed that we have the depth to compete in the schedule they've implemented.

If they don't qualify, it'll be a bigger disappointment than the last go round imo. I think this team has captured some attention from the general public. They have definitely raised some eyebrows within CONCACAF. It'll be fun to watch for sure.
100%. There is hope, and some exciting players. I know club ball doesn't always translate to success at national level, but reason to be very optimistic. I'm sure expectations will be too high for this team this time around, but would be fair to see the 22 WC as a springboard for 26, when all these guys should be seasoned and at top of games....
statefan91
Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

100%. There is hope, and some exciting players. I know club ball doesn't always translate to success at national level, but reason to be very optimistic. I'm sure expectations will be too high for this team this time around, but would be fair to see the 22 WC as a springboard for 26, when all these guys should be seasoned and at top of games....
And playing in North America for the WC
Packchem91
statefan91 said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Can you imagine the atmosphere if this were a legit top-10 world type team when the WC was held here, and we had legit chance to advance far into knock-out rounds? That would be fun to be a part of / witness to.
SexualChocolate
Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Can you imagine the atmosphere if this were a legit top-10 world type team when the WC was held here, and we had legit chance to advance far into knock-out rounds? That would be fun to be a part of / witness to.

I would definitely try to attend. Took the family to France to watch the Women's World Cup in Lyon. Saw both semis and the Finals. It was an amazing experience.
SexualChocolate
" Gianluca Busio to Venezia from Sporting Kansas City, done deal since two days and now at signing stage. Busio will join Venezia on a five-years contract: here we go confirmed #MLS

Starting fee around 4m many add ons as part of the negotiation. Future sale % included too."

This is exactly what I was talking about. He is young and has talent and should develop nicely in Europe. He also started out in Greensboro and played for the Fusion club.
Steve Videtich
I had coffee with Tab recently and we were discussing the talent in the US versus years ago. He was saying that most of the "A Level" men's talent in the US will never make it to college. They get identified early and end up in professionally run Clubs, both here and abroad.

You are starting to see that in the USMNT. Many of these guys are playing professionally around the world by the time they even turn 20. Compare that to the last group that failed qualify for the WC. I bet half that roster played in college.
Cthepack
Steve Videtich said:

I had coffee with Tab recently and we were discussing the talent in the US versus years ago. He was saying that most of the "A Level" men's talent in the US will never make it to college. They get identified early and end up in professionally run Clubs, both here and abroad.

You are starting to see that in the USMNT. Many of these guys are playing professionally around the world by the time they even turn 20. Compare that to the last group that failed qualify for the WC. I bet half that roster played in college.
I think that the better players not going to college is a good thing.

Cthepack
Sad to see Jack Grealish leave for Man City. He really had to. Aston Villa is my favorite team and have followed him for a long time.

Just an FYI: Jamie Smith who plays for the Pack is the son of Dean Smith. Not the one from up the road obviously but the one that currently manages Villa.
WarrenPeace
Big day for me tomorrow! Became a Wigan Athletic fan when they were promoted to the Premier League. I've been through an FA Cup win, Europa League, relegation/promotion a few times, and administration.

I know it's League One but I'm excited to see what the new owners can bring. Proud club that deserves better than what they've gotten the last year and a half.

Up the Tics!
Packchem91
WarrenPeace said:

Big day for me tomorrow! Became a Wigan Athletic fan when they were promoted to the Premier League. I've been through an FA Cup win, Europa League, relegation/promotion a few times, and administration.

I know it's League One but I'm excited to see what the new owners can bring. Proud club that deserves better than what they've gotten the last year and a half.

Up the Tics!
But they are playing against my guys -- Sunderland (at least they became my guys after the Netflix documentary)

Packchem91
Cthepack said:

Sad to see Jack Grealish leave for Man City. He really had to. Aston Villa is my favorite team and have followed him for a long time.

Just an FYI: Jamie Smith who plays for the Pack is the son of Dean Smith. Not the one from up the road obviously but the one that currently manages Villa.
Its like when the local kid does great and then becomes a star and can only go to the Yankees or the Dodgers. Dude has become an international star though....he is so fun to watch play, just hate it will be with City.
Packchem91
Steve Videtich said:

I haven't played close attention....are we to appreciate the Development Academy's that were initiated 6-7 years ago, or is there another reason for the development of so much young talent in America?

And agreed....get those guys to England, Germany, Spain or Italy as quickly as possible.
Steve Videtich
Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

I haven't played close attention....are we to appreciate the Development Academy's that were initiated 6-7 years ago, or is there another reason for the development of so much young talent in America?

And agreed....get those guys to England, Germany, Spain or Italy as quickly as possible.

I think that's definitely played into. There are more opportunities now for these players to be seen at such early ages. They are being selected as early as 9-10 for dime of these professional clubs and developed through these programs. It here in Salt Lake, I bet there's 7-8 players in their roster that were developed through the youth development program.
SexualChocolate
Talent is getting identified earlier. I know of a few kids locally that were identified at around 12 and as soon as they were mature enough, they were shipped to England. One is GK for Chelsea at their youth academy and is doing quite well.
WarrenPeace
Packchem91 said:

WarrenPeace said:

Up the Tics!
But they are playing against my guys -- Sunderland (at least they became my guys after the Netflix documentary)

Yeah I watched a few episodes of that. I like Sunderland. They bounced around the league while Wigan was up. Hope they get it turned around as well.

I think we took a couple of their players this summer. Gonna be tough to get a win today at their place.

SexualChocolate
Packchem91
SexualChocolate said:

Hope we get to see him in some EPL games.
SexualChocolate
Packchem91 said:

SexualChocolate said:

Hope we get to see him in some EPL games.

Yea, he is playing behind Pukki. Let's hope that he gets to play some this year.
Wolfer79
CONCACAF Champions League
Semifinal: Leg 1, Estadio BBVA Bancomer, Guadalupe, Greater Monterrey, Mexico
CF Monterrey vs. Cruz Azul FS1/TUDN, 10 p.m.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.