Should republicans move on from Trump?

27,217 Views | 284 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BBW12OG
BBW12OG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldsouljer said:

griff17matt said:

Civ, I have no ill-will towards you or your views. I just think you're wrong here and I didn't think it should slide. It wasn't meant as a dunk on you. I did mean to confront your blind spots though. I hope you can see my intent and not what others want to make it out to be.

The only way forward is being able to have good faith arguments with views we don't agree with, not the people that hold them. I would hope you would take me to task if you felt I was seriously off the mark.
I second this. Also want to point out that are some great places where you might feel more at home. Inside Carolina for example.
There's always PP... Newswolf is still running interference for his "boys" that are obviously on the payroll. Hell... they've run off all but two or three Conservative posters that have been there for nearly 20 years with his liberal ass views.

What's so damn funny is that he posts the same lefty BS on his twitter feed! Would love to see some of you spout off this nonsense at WPC meetings. Pretty sure you wouldn't.

And before you say that I don't voice my opinions there about the direction this country is heading show up at the next one East of Raleigh. I'm damn sure you wouldn't be able to differentiate me from everyone else.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
TheStorm
Steve Williams said:

Read an article where a bunch of republicans are threatening to form a new party if current republicans don't move on from Donald Trump. Curious what those on the right think about this.

Gonna give my 2 cents and hopefully won't set anyone on fire. I think they should. Just my opinion but personally, I think Republicans should put everything they have behind Ron Desantis. I think he is a guy that could unite the party and if they did that, the Dems would have their hands full in 24.
OP.
caryking
Civilized said:

cowboypack02 said:

Civilized said:

hokiewolf said:

Ok, let's take Trump out of it and I'll give you another example. Bret Weinstein on his podcast started a grass roots political campaign to provide a 3rd party alternative candidate because like me, he was un happy with the two mainstream party candidates. Twitter suspended their account for bogus reasons.

https://articlesofunity.org/2020/09/press-release-for-our-twitter-ban/

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/516088-grassroots-activist-describes-frustration-with-twitter-over-account-suspension

It is still suspended today and you cannot share any links to Articles of unity on Twitter.

Are you still ok with the seemingly arbitrary suspension of an account created by a grass roots movement to create a third party by a tech platform thereby hobbling their efforts to present an alternative candidate that potentially would have siphoned voters from Joe Biden?

No I'm not OK with it.

To be clear I'm not OK with Trump's social media ban.

I'm also not OK with his incredibly dangerous stolen election lie or more generally his historical propensity for making **** up because reality doesn't suit him.

I don't have the answer to reconcile those two conflicting realities.
Democrats did this for 4 years with no bans or issues. there was even a trending hashtag for the longest time #notmypresident

Nancy Pelosi said the election was fraudulent in 2016...she never got banned
Chuck Schumer said that the election was fraudulent in 2016....he never got banned.

Isn't that incredibly dangerous as well that two of the highest ranking democrats have said for years that the 2016 election was stolen? Why do they still get to have social media accounts? You can't say its because of what happened on 1-6-2021.....the democrats damn near burned down DC on 1-20-2017 while protesting Trump being inaugurated. Shouldn't that be considered a threat to democracy as well?

Are you not ok with those two yelling that an election was stolen....i'm just curious because you've never mentioned it before. Social media is obviously ok with one but not the other......

This 'Democrats did this too' analysis fails any reasonable test of intellectual honesty.

The saying 'the dose makes the poison' definitely applies here.

Rough numbers, if I'm in a leadership position of extreme visibility and influence and say something false and potentially dangerous 200 times, and someone else says the same thing once or twice, from a much smaller podium and with significantly less influence, is it accurate to say we "did the same thing"?

How does it impact that analysis if the person saying something 200 times is doing so without any consequential evidence; began saying this thing months before the event in question even took place; and has had 60+ court rulings against the substance of their claim, while investigations into the matter spoken about twice times resulted in prison sentences for lying to investigators; clear bipartisan Congressional committee findings of a directly related, but lesser charge (meddling); there existing clear evidence that such meddling impacted the election; and the lead independent investigator looking into the claims of collusion clearly saying that his investigation did not exonerate the accused?
Civ, you must be Catholic...
caryking
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Pelosi and Schumer have lack of standing. Lololol. Godalmighty. Dude is off the ledge with TDS.

Obviously they do, relative to Trump.

You really think they're just as recognizable, visible, and influential as Trump?

And that doesn't address the fact they said something once or twice and Trump has said it literally hundreds of times.

Trump's much more visible and influential and said something dangerous 200x more frequently than they did.

True story, or TDS?

Civ, if Trump has standing, then the courts should have listened to all the election fraud cases, right? They were all ruled on Latches or no Standing...
caryking
Civilized said:

More of your ad hominem BS.

Respond to the substance of my post or don't respond at all.
Civ, Storm got you on that...
BBW12OG

We won't see Civ for a few days. He should take a few days off, do some research and come up with some other loony left wing conspiracy theory for Storm to debunk and make him his.........
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
TheStorm
Don't get carried away... griff is the one that straightened him out on this topic... I try not to even engage him anymore if I can help it.
IseWolf22
cowboypack02 said:

tuffy1006 said:

I'm completely okay with Trumps ban. I mean its freaking twitter and facebook for Christ's sake. For one those are owned by people, you can't just go on someone's website and say whatever the f you want especially when politically/ethically they dont agree with you. Hell I get temporarily banned on there sometimes for talking sports junk. It's not hard to get banned on there, especially if one instigates a siege on the capital lol

Start your own brand of social media and stop counting on the very liberals you dont like to provide you a social media platform. Makes no damn sense for anyone to be complaining about this. Most these social media websites were created by left leaning/progressive people....so why is it a surprise to anyone this is happening??
There are a couple of things that I want to point out for everyone to ponder

• A few years ago a reporter sued Trump for blocking them and a judge said that Trump couldn't do that because it was a public domain. It seems to me that if Trump can't block anyone because its a public domain then Twitter shouldn't be able to remove a sitting or retired president for the same reasons
  • The social media sites are provided protection by the government for getting sued because they not providing editorial guidance and people can post what they want. Facebook and Twitter obviously will allow people to post about an election being fraudulent because democrats were allowed to post that the 2016 election was fraudulent and that there was cheating going on with no consequences. This issue wasn't the content, it was who was posting it. If a site is not enforcing their rules equally then they are editing what is being said and should lose their protections
  • There is no "start your own brand of social media" anymore. Someone went out and did it....and then it was promptly deplatformed by Apple, Android, and AWS for no reason. That ain't right...

1. That ruling was stupid. It's not like that person was being deprived of any information. Every single tweet he made was reported on. It's a good point, and not one I will even try to defend

2. Social Media is provided protection from lawsuit because that's the only way it's possible to run a website where people can post without pre-moderation. They are not a publisher because they don't create their own content, and rely on their users. Without protections, social media companies could be held liable for defamation, copyright, illegal activity, or whatever is posted. Without the ability to moderate at all, the site will become a cesspool that most don't care to visit (see 4chan).

Without Section 230 social media cease as we know it (well...maybe that's not that bad). It's imperfect policy in a place where more regulation can only make it worse. Politics will not help - linking an article below

3. Tik Tok came out of nowhere a few years ago. There are several alternative social media sites that are up and coming. There are so many different sites and companies that it cant be argued to be a monopoly. It's not unreasonable to ask why you feel forced to use Facebook and Twitter. Many dont.

https://reason.com/2021/06/07/dont-try-to-fix-big-tech-with-politics/
IseWolf22
BBW12OG said:

TheStorm said:

Someone just had their proverbial ass handed to them... again.

I get tired of reading that f'n nonsense here. Especially when it's nothing but pure and utter Bull **** .
I'm guessing you are referring to Civ.

Hey Civ... here's a direct response to you.

Seek help. You are obsessed and NEVER bring anything to the table other than crying and whining like a little....err..... baby.

Your act is sad and pathetic. You get curb stomped and disappear on a regular basis.

Glad it happened again today and I was traveling. Looks like you will be licking your wounds for the next few days and trying to find something else to piss and moan about.

Oh... and if you really were as smart as you think you are you wouldn't say some of the dumbest **** I have ever read on any message board. Hilliary and Abrams are still saying they won and were cheated. Fact.

Now run along and get your diaper changed.
Yet you claim you never make personal attacks

Inside Pack Sports will not tolerate hateful speech, degrading remarks, or personal attacks made about other posters, athletes/coaches/faculty at NC State University, or anyone else.
BBW12OG
Sometimes you have to get in the mud.... I stand by everything I said. Glad to see you have avoided posting on the Biden Admin. thread... guess when you can't dispute facts you resort to being the board hall monitor.

Pretty sure I know who flags most of the posts......
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

- Thomas Jefferson
TheStorm
Yeah, why don't we see the "Independents" posting topics for discussion about all the great things the administration that they "voted" for is doing?

And if you voted for a third party candidate then you voted for Biden (and you know it )

AT THE VERY LEAST, I would have expected an "Independent" spin thread about the great job that the VP did down in Guatemala yesterday... but for some reason the only thing that they still want to post about is Trump!
IseWolf22
Nope, still never flagged your posts
Civilized
Me neither.

I'm damn tempted though.
packgrad
And you're an independent too.
IseWolf22
TheStorm said:

Yeah, why don't we see the "Independents" posting topics for discussion about all the great things the administration that they "voted" for is doing?

And if you voted for a third party candidate then you voted for Biden (and you know it )

AT THE VERY LEAST, I would have expected an "Independent" spin thread about the great job that the VP did down in Guatemala yesterday... but for some reason the only thing that they still want to post about is Trump!

Because why would I bother engaging with someone who never argues in good faith, and does not understand any position in-between glowing adoration and full condemnation. I can agree with Biden on some things, Trump on others. Largely I think they are both $#!. BBW can keep screaming in the void.

I've never said a good word about K Harris on this board. I find the admins response on immigration half assed at best. But Biden is going to bend over backwards to keep the rust belt.
BBW12OG
IseWolf22 said:

TheStorm said:

Because why would I bother engaging with someone who never argues in good faith, and does not understand any position in-between glowing adoration and full condemnation. I can agree with Biden on some things, Trump on others. Largely I think they are both $#!. BBW can keep screaming in the void.

I've never said a good word about K Harris on this board. I find the admins response on immigration half assed at best. But Biden is going to bend over backwards to keep the rust belt.
Bend over backwards to help the rust belt??? Wow... Last I heard he supported Ford's move to build next gen vehicles in Mexico. Does this help the rust belt by allowing the workers to stay on unemployment later? I mean, that is your end game right? To have the people beholden to the governement.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-ford-ohio/uaw-criticizes-ford-plan-to-build-new-vehicle-in-mexico-not-ohio-idUSKBN2B82V9

I remember when President Trump called out automakers and made sure they were building in the USA. If they didn't their tax breaks would end and he would tariff the hell out of them.

https://fortune.com/2017/01/24/donald-trump-auto-executives-increase-production/

https://www.cars.com/articles/trump-and-the-auto-industry-update-1420693212869/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-autos/trump-talks-to-u-s-automakers-pushes-for-new-american-plants-idUSKBN1581CA

Maybe you meant to say "Trump would bend over backwards to help the rust belt..."

Also... isn't Sleepy Joe moving to end the coal and natural gas industry? Again... how the hell is that helping the rust belt? More unemployment?

You lefties can't get over your TDS long enough to realize how idiotic this administration is.

Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

- Thomas Jefferson
Civilized
packgrad said:

And you're an independent too.

LOLOL

Civilized
griff17matt said:

Civ, I have no ill-will towards you or your views. I just think you're wrong here and I didn't think it should slide. It wasn't meant as a dunk on you. I did mean to confront your blind spots though. I hope you can see my intent and not what others want to make it out to be.

The only way forward is being able to have good faith arguments with views we don't agree with, not the people that hold them. I would hope you would take me to task if you felt I was seriously off the mark.
Zero issue with this approach griff, and appreciate the follow-up.

I've always perceived your comments to be in good faith, even if pointed.

First, to be clear I'm not here to act like Dems are clean. Politics is a dirty game and both sides are neck deep in the muck. I'm also not here to take up for Hillary or any other Dem for acting carte blanche, or to deny that they said something that they clearly did say. Hillary was imminently divisive, similar to Trump, and had a lot of Washington slime on her from her years as a career politician. Crazy that the two most divisive/unlikeable presidential candidates in modern history were running against each other in '16. Bad fortune for Americans.

My past remarks in this thread about intellectual dishonesty relate to what I perceive to be glossed-over but consequential differences in the volume, impact, and veracity of Trump's and the right's claims about electoral fraud vs. claims from the left that seem analogous at a glance.

That said, I'm not in some sort of denial that Hillary thought that Russian interference impacted her electorally; that she may have thought that interference rose to the level of collusion; or that she's handled losing poorly at times.

The electoral college lost her the election, for sure. But she's not bat-**** crazy about the interference/collusion issue. Significant Russian interference was proven. How much did that interference help Trump or hurt her? Who knows, but their level of interference was determined to be significant by independent investigators and a bipartisan Congressional committee. Also, especially early in his presidency Trump was very clearly and oddly cozy with Putin, or at least appeared that way. If you know Russians interfered, and Trump refused to acknowledge the obvious collusion and also seemed to quasi-idolize Putin, there was clear reason to wonder about explicit collusion.

I think my thoughts on what I see as key differences break down into three main parts. None of you want to read all this ****, and I don't blame you, I just don't care. Braves-Phils are on and it's easy to sit here and collect my thoughts.

1. "Lack of definitive proof of collusion" too frequently gets conflated with "Trump was exonerated of colluding" or with "there was no Russian interference." It was never made clear there wasn't collusion (and still isn't). It's why Mueller, after a long investigation, clearly said his deep-dive investigation did not exonerate Trump's team of collusion.

It was substantiated by multiple investigations and inquires both that Russia interfered significantly, with impossible-to-quantify electoral consequences, and that members of Trump's team had improper contact with the East (Don Trump Jr. meeting with Kremlin-tied lawyer to receive dirt on Clinton during Trump's campaign; Giuliani's extortion of Ukraine for dirt on Biden, etc.) Russia hacked Clinton's campaign and blasted out anti-Clinton, pro-Trump propaganda on social media for months. Russian nationals were indicted for a massive misinformation campaign and Russian military officers were indicted for hacking Clinton's campaign and the DNC. Yet, for years Trump denied Russia even interfered, and it was reasonable for Americans (and Hillary) to question why, or whether Trump's team engaged more directly with them.

Is there an analog to this with regard to Trump's claims of electoral fraud or a stolen election? Has there been any evidence produced to date that makes courts or impartial observers believe that there was 2020 electoral fraud to the extent that it impacted Trump electorally? Not only is there nothing like this with Trump and his fraud fantasy, but courts have held 60+ times that Trump's team's claims of fraud lacked merit or standing with multiple judges lambasting the plaintiffs for their complete lack of evidence to support their claims. Members of Trump's fraud team are getting sued for a gazillion dollars for their damaging slander.

To me, for the two 'fraud' situations to be similar, there would have to be evidence of electoral fraud in 2020 that rose to the level of being significant but perhaps not determinative electorally (similar to Mueller being unable to prove collusion but clearly substantiating improper Russian contact and also significant interference that benefited Trump). There was nothing like this regarding electoral fraud.

2. "Both sides claimed the election was fraudulent!"

Again, to me, quantity and veracity matter. It's a consequential difference that Trump tweeted and was quoted 500+ times about the election being stolen whereas Hillary's remarks have expressed disappointment in the impact of Russian interference or potential collusion in a small handful of interviews. She's not out there in public beating the "FRAUD/RIGGED/STOLEN" drum hundreds of times and stirring up her followers that the election was stolen from her and the system is rigged. Quantity and intensity of communication matters.

Remember, Trump started his "Rigged election" schtick before the 2016 election. It didn't start in 2020. He preemptively started tearing down confidence in our electoral system, with no evidence and with no one to benefit but himself, in the run-up to 2016. This is his MO. If he loses, or thinks he may, it must be because other people cheated or the system is rigged against him. Hillary's crying foul was not generalized, completely unsubstantiated preemptive buffoonery, it was specific to Russia's proven interference. Ask yourself this, if Russia hadn't interfered significantly, and the outcome was the same as it was in 2016 (Hillary wins popular vote but loses the EC), would Hillary still have made the claims she did about Trump and Russia if there was zero evidence of interference? She wasn't out there complaining about a rigged system preemptively and without any evidence the way Trump was.

I think it's much more damaging long-term to decry the system and your opponents as active participants in massive, unsubstantiated fraud ("our elections are not free and fair because the Democrats rigged/stole the election!") than it is to have a more finite and substantiated accusation about a foreign adversary's interference and the nature of your political opponent's ties to that foreign adversary after your opponent's son met with Kremlin-linked attorneys to collect dirt on you.

3. "Both sides rioted after the elections in 2016 and 2020!"

As previously stated, I think it's consequential that Trump made literally hundreds of claims, posting daily tweets and being quoted multiple times a day for months/years, where (to my knowledge) Hillary has discussed the issue of interference or collusion publicly a handful of times, and has not tried (or in Trump's case, succeeded) to rally her supporters to believe that the election results were fraudulent. In 2016, she conceded the next day and offered really gracious remarks considering I'm sure her ass was royally chapped at getting waxed by a carnival barker.

Also, from a results-based analysis standpoint, Trump's actions and communication directly led to whatever you want to call January 6. I think a hostile takeover of the nation's Capitol, in the middle of Congress certifying electoral college results, during which people died during and after the event, is different symbolically and practically than protesting Trump's inauguration as president in ways that weren't linked to Clinton making calls for protest, and that didn't involve storming the Capitol building.

These thoughts are offered up in good faith. You may view these differences as inaccurate, or inconsequential, or in other ways distinctions without true differences, and you're welcome to object of course.

I enjoy reading contrary viewpoints from you and others; none of us learn anything living in echo chambers.

As always, appreciate and enjoy the back and forth.
WPNfamily
I miss Trump. This current administration is so weak on domestic and foreign policy. I am proud to be an American. I am also totally embarrassed by the top two elected officials in our government who don't represent the real America.

Thank goodness for the men and women of West Virginia who almost single handedly are saving American from a fast race to the bottom by electing a Senator who will stand up to his own party.
griff17matt
No chance I'll respond to that whole dissertation, but I did have a noticeable eye roll to this part:

"Again, to me, quantity and veracity matter. It's a consequential difference that Trump tweeted and was quoted 500+ times about the election being stolen whereas Hillary's remarks have expressed disappointment in the impact of Russian interference or potential collusion in a small handful of interviews. She's not out there in public beating the "FRAUD/RIGGED/STOLEN" drum hundreds of times and stirring up her followers that the election was stolen from her and the system is rigged. Quantity and intensity of communication matters."

I'll give you his incessant tweeting, but are we really going to use the media's obsession with twisting every word he says against him? And, in practically the same breath, excuse Hillary for the media covering for her? I'm not sure you can form an argument around coverage disparities from a large percentage of traditional media that negatively construe one side and positively construe the other. Did they do or say the same things? If yes, then they are guilty of the same sin, regardless of how many times it was repeated through news outlets.

You also keep saying how there was Russian "interference or collusion" which would I suppose kind of echo Hillary's Trump is Putin's puppet trope. If that's the case then I suppose Biden is Xi's puppet since Dems seem so hell bent on tickling their tonsils on China's dick? So we traded one master for another? Congrats on the move from authoritarian right to totalitarian left I guess.

Also, could you PLEASE make me stop defending Trump's dumb ass? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone or something.
Civilized
WPNfamily said:

I miss Trump. This current administration is so weak on domestic and foreign policy. I am proud to be an American. I am also totally embarrassed by the top two elected officials in our government who don't represent the real America.

Thank goodness for the men and women of West Virginia who almost single handedly are saving American from a fast race to the bottom by electing a Senator who will stand up to his own party.

I do not miss Trump, as y'all can guess. LOL.

I do think Manchin serves a very useful purpose in today's hyper-partisan climate, and in a Congress that would otherwise be too subject to pass every piece of legislation the left could dream up given their clean sweep. He's box-defying politically and I think facilitates compromise.

I see and appreciate John Roberts similarly in the SC.
Wolfpack
Can someone explain to me why you can't like conservative fiscal policy and also not want to engage in culture wars that are fundamentally anti-liberty and anti-freedom?

To answer Steve's question, please, and hurry up. Moderates are getting extremely tired and you saw how the general just went.
Civilized
Wolfpack said:

Can someone explain to me why you can't like conservative fiscal policy and also not want to engage in culture wars that are fundamentally anti-liberty and anti-freedom?

To answer Steve's question, please, and hurry up. Moderates are getting extremely tired and you saw how the general just went.

You obviously can and I think that's what's driving up independent numbers while Pubs and Dems both watch their parties shrink.

A lot of moderates/independents fit the profile you describe very well. They're anti-culture war but also can't get fully on board with the far left economically or even in some cases socially.
BBW12OG
As much as I hate to respond to you I feel it necessary. Let's go over the last few days your SOCIALIST PARTY has had in the United States of America:

• failed to acknowledge in any way the Veterans, Memorial Day or the sacrifices of the men who saved the world
  • failed to acknowledge (again) any issue at the border and laughing it off (again) with a joke about having "never been to Europe" quip
  • Sleepy Joe still can't put together a coherent sentence when not reading from a teleprompter and even then it is 50/50
  • failing to acknowledge any shortcomings of your God Fauci and the fact that more and more information is coming out that the virus was man made
  • will allow Putin to complete the pipeline from Russia to Germany while killing hundreds of thousands of jobs in the United States
  • allowed without penalty Ford to move production to Mexico for their "next gen" vehicle manufacturing
  • Sleepy Joe refuses to take unscripted, random questions at any occasion whatsoever, i.e. walking to and from Air Force One, Marine One... wonder why?
  • One of your "propaganda" channels hosted another one of your "propaganda" newsrags and she disparaged the Flag of the United States for over 2 minutes and crickets from the joke of an administration
  • you have one of the members of the Flunky Bunch comparing America to Hamas, Al-Queda and what push back form the the lefties happened? NOTHING
  • inflation is at a 25 year high and climbing
  • over 8 million jobs are open but due to your SOCIALIST PARTY'S policies people are refusing to go back to work causing loss of businesses and livelihoods of many small business owners

But, as inept as this week has been the best is surely yet to come. You lefties can't get out of your own way and it's pretty damn hilarious. You can't give me one example of the extremism that is going on in your party that is occurring on the right.

And I know you will counter with MTG... guess what? She's a non-factor other than representing her district in Congress. She has zero committee assignments and rarely sees the floor. Can you say that about your SOCIALIST PARTY members? HELL NO you can't.

It's become clearer and clearer that when Dear Leader said he wanted to transform America he is still trying. And by transform he meant do his damn best to destroy it.

Enjoy the next 18.5 months. I hope to see you and the rest of your comrades on here pissing and moaning like you were when President Trump was in office. I also hope if the GOP gets full control of both houses we return the favor your and your SOCIALIST PARTY have been doing in the house and now all three for perpetuity.

At the rate this bunch of idiots are running this country into the ground there won't be many "independent" voters on Election Day. There will be Patriots ready to take the country back from the likes of you and your SOCIALIST PARTY.

Couldn't happen to a better group.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

- Thomas Jefferson
Wolfpack
Civilized said:

Wolfpack said:

You obviously can and I think that's what's driving up independent numbers while Pubs and Dems both watch their parties shrink.

A lot of moderates/independents fit the profile you describe very well. They're anti-culture war but also can't get fully on board with the far left economically or even in some cases socially.
Will McAvoy for president is all I have to say . Thanks for the response, makes me feel better about our future.
caryking
Civilized said:

Wolfpack said:

I don't know why Dems are losing registrants (well, yea, I do); however, I am sure I know why Republicans are...

The legacy Republican Party was all about: Big Business, Wall Street, K Street, and Wars. These lost people will come back once the fundamental transformation of the Republican Party completes.

As much as some here don't like Trump, he is the person that started this transformation. I am extremely thankful for this and want him to continue to lead the party and want him back in the White House. Now, Ron Desantis is definitely the next best thing and will completely support him if Trump doesn't run.

Some here will definitely hate Desantis once they get more of him. He has the same Trumpism in his communication. He is very tactful when needed; however, very blunt as well.
Wolfpack
pineknollshoresking said:

Civilized said:

Wolfpack said:

I don't know why Dems are losing registrants (well, yea, I do); however, I am sure I know why Republicans are...

The legacy Republican Party was all about: Big Business, Wall Street, K Street, and Wars. These lost people will come back once the fundamental transformation of the Republican Party completes.

As much as some here don't like Trump, he is the person that started this transformation. I am extremely thankful for this and want him to continue to lead the party and want him back in the White House. Now, Ron Desantis is definitely the next best thing and will completely support him if Trump doesn't run.

Some here will definitely hate Desantis once they get more of him. He has the same Trumpism in his communication. He is very tactful when needed; however, very blunt as well.
You're probably right. I'm one probably what you call a Reagan republican or something similar, with a liberal twist on my social views (I really don't care what LGBTQ, etc. people do, I hope we can empower their rights, etc.). -- please, I don't want to debate this part, just describing why I feel lost.

The current movement has completely isolated me, it feels like, on both sides. I am pro small government, because I believe the best talent goes to industry now. With that said, that is another reason why I don't want the government to fight and participate in culture wars. Jeez, what is small government about that? Get out of our ways! I am largely small government because I don't believe our elected officials are "cream of the crop" any longer, where I felt they were in the past.

Anyway, regardless, I am also a white collar worker in a high leadership position. I'm not saying I understand leadership, but I do know that blue collar workers (like my parents) look at things like abrasiveness, bluntness, etc. to be signs of quality leadership. I see it as being mentally weak and unable to construe the core point in any intelligible manner. This communication style would never fly in any way whatsoever in the corporate world so if we're going to act like we want "business people in the WH", this is not it.

Again, not to start an argument, I simply put this here because today I feel especially frustrated in regards to Mark Robinson's speech at the NC GOP. He spent literally no time talking about the stuff that matters to me, from a fiscal perspective. Instead just focused on exactly what I don't agree with, which to the point is... no human should tell any other human how to behave, act, or live. That, I just don't agree with.
IseWolf22
Wolfpack said:

Civilized said:

Wolfpack said:

Will McAvoy for president is all I have to say . Thanks for the response, makes me feel better about our future.
If we're engaging in 2024 fantasies, mine is Justin Amash. Will never happen, but a guy can dream.
Civilized
IseWolf22 said:

Wolfpack said:

Civilized said:

Wolfpack said:

If we're engaging in 2024 fantasies, mine is Justin Amash. Will never happen, but a guy can dream.
My 2024 fantasy is a Tulsi-Nikki ticket but I think that may just be my immaturity talking.

cowboypack02
Civilized said:

IseWolf22 said:

Wolfpack said:

Civilized said:

Wolfpack said:

My 2024 fantasy is a Tulsi-Nikki ticket but I think that may just be my immaturity talking.

Yeah.....I think about Tulsi and Nikki sometimes...but it ain't in terms of politics....
BBW12OG
IseWolf22 said:

Wolfpack said:

Civilized said:

Wolfpack said:

You supporting Justin Amash says everything we need to know about you. He aligned himself with a member of the Flunky Bunch, known anti-Semite Rashida Talib. Maybe IseWolf22 is short for IsisWolf22? Just wondering since you just stated he's your fantasy candidate.....

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tag/donald-trump?source=%2Fnews%2Fjustin-amash-primary-challenger-he-has-more-in-common-with-rashida-tlaib-than-gop-voters

https://www.michiganadvance.com/2019/05/23/with-tlaib-and-amash-michigan-becomes-epicenter-of-trump-impeachment-fight/

https://www.newsweek.com/racist-disgusting-ex-gop-congressman-justin-amash-blasts-trump-1449164

And I don't need to post any of her anti-Semitic rants. We all know they exist and he never once has called her out for it, spoken out against them or come out in support of people who have. You judge people by the company they keep and their actions.

Good to know where you stand.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

- Thomas Jefferson
cowboypack02
Wolfpack said:

pineknollshoresking said:

Civilized said:

Wolfpack said:

You're probably right. I'm one probably what you call a Reagan republican or something similar, with a liberal twist on my social views (I really don't care what LGBTQ, etc. people do, I hope we can empower their rights, etc.). -- please, I don't want to debate this part, just describing why I feel lost.

The current movement has completely isolated me, it feels like, on both sides. I am pro small government, because I believe the best talent goes to industry now. With that said, that is another reason why I don't want the government to fight and participate in culture wars. Jeez, what is small government about that? Get out of our ways! I am largely small government because I don't believe our elected officials are "cream of the crop" any longer, where I felt they were in the past.

Anyway, regardless, I am also a white collar worker in a high leadership position. I'm not saying I understand leadership, but I do know that blue collar workers (like my parents) look at things like abrasiveness, bluntness, etc. to be signs of quality leadership. I see it as being mentally weak and unable to construe the core point in any intelligible manner. This communication style would never fly in any way whatsoever in the corporate world so if we're going to act like we want "business people in the WH", this is not it.

Again, not to start an argument, I simply put this here because today I feel especially frustrated in regards to Mark Robinson's speech at the NC GOP. He spent literally no time talking about the stuff that matters to me, from a fiscal perspective. Instead just focused on exactly what I don't agree with, which to the point is... no human should tell any other human how to behave, act, or live. That, I just don't agree with.
That's all a matter of opinion....My folks think like yours does, but my dad is still running his own business this way and is quite successful, but he the business that he is in is a blue collar business. I manage a company in finance which obviously has white color workers. While it typically isn't my first go-to in terms of management, I have found that being abrasive and blunt can be very useful in the right context. I think it loses its effectiveness if that is the constant state that you manage in, but if used sparingly and in the right situations can be a very powerful tool to keep the wheels going.
cowboypack02
IseWolf22 said:

cowboypack02 said:

tuffy1006 said:

I'm completely okay with Trumps ban. I mean its freaking twitter and facebook for Christ's sake. For one those are owned by people, you can't just go on someone's website and say whatever the f you want especially when politically/ethically they dont agree with you. Hell I get temporarily banned on there sometimes for talking sports junk. It's not hard to get banned on there, especially if one instigates a siege on the capital lol

Start your own brand of social media and stop counting on the very liberals you dont like to provide you a social media platform. Makes no damn sense for anyone to be complaining about this. Most these social media websites were created by left leaning/progressive people....so why is it a surprise to anyone this is happening??

• A few years ago a reporter sued Trump for blocking them and a judge said that Trump couldn't do that because it was a public domain. It seems to me that if Trump can't block anyone because its a public domain then Twitter shouldn't be able to remove a sitting or retired president for the same reasons
  • The social media sites are provided protection by the government for getting sued because they not providing editorial guidance and people can post what they want. Facebook and Twitter obviously will allow people to post about an election being fraudulent because democrats were allowed to post that the 2016 election was fraudulent and that there was cheating going on with no consequences. This issue wasn't the content, it was who was posting it. If a site is not enforcing their rules equally then they are editing what is being said and should lose their protections
  • There is no "start your own brand of social media" anymore. Someone went out and did it....and then it was promptly deplatformed by Apple, Android, and AWS for no reason. That ain't right...

1. That ruling was stupid. It's not like that person was being deprived of any information. Every single tweet he made was reported on. It's a good point, and not one I will even try to defend

2. Social Media is provided protection from lawsuit because that's the only way it's possible to run a website where people can post without pre-moderation. They are not a publisher because they don't create their own content, and rely on their users. Without protections, social media companies could be held liable for defamation, copyright, illegal activity, or whatever is posted. Without the ability to moderate at all, the site will become a cesspool that most don't care to visit (see 4chan).

Without Section 230 social media cease as we know it (well...maybe that's not that bad). It's imperfect policy in a place where more regulation can only make it worse. Politics will not help - linking an article below

3. Tik Tok came out of nowhere a few years ago. There are several alternative social media sites that are up and coming. There are so many different sites and companies that it cant be argued to be a monopoly. It's not unreasonable to ask why you feel forced to use Facebook and Twitter. Many dont.

I agree with you that social media would change as we know it, and very well may disappear if those companies lose Section 230 protection. My thought is that the social media companies have found a work around where they aren't technically publishers, but through selective enforcement of their rules and regulations are a defacto publisher because of that. There are many instances where conservatives are shadow banned or have to delete content because it runs afoul of the T&C, but there are users with a different political leaning that don't suffer the same consequences if what they tweet runs against the T&C.

I saw the same things with the warning labels during covid and the election. If you tweeted that Trump was cheated you got a warning, but not if you tweeted #notmypresident when Trump won in 2016. Same with the Covid stuff. The notes attached to messages and tweets only ran to things that disagreed with certain people, but now those are having to be retracted. For almost a year there was a warning that it was dis-information if someone tweeted that Covid came from a lab, but now you no longer see that because Twitter has come out and said that it may of been incorrect. In the first sentence of item #2 above you said Social media is provided protection from lawsuits because that's the only way its possible to run a website where people can post without pre-moderation. I would argue that by adding notes when someone post something that goes against public opinion that is the definition of pre-moderation.

As far as tic-tock. They did come out of nowhere and they do still exist. My comment was in regards to social media sites that conservatives put together. I don't think that anyone can argue that right leaning sites like Parler haven't been punished because of where those companies stand politically. Here is the quote from amazon on why they removed Parler from their web hosting platform:

"Parler was not doing enough to prevent the spread of posts inciting violence, following unrest at the U.S. Capitol by Trump supporters last Wednesday after weeks of violent rhetoric on online sites."

If this is the standard for being hosted, they why is facebook and twitter allowed to be active online? Its been proven that both of those platforms have been used extensively in planning and getting the word out on the riots and violence all of last year. At least 25 people were killed and over 2 billion dollars with of damage was caused due directly to the 2020 riots. I believe that there is a definite double standard in the way that social media platforms are handled depending on who is managing and owns them.
IseWolf22
BBW12OG said:

IseWolf22 said:

Wolfpack said:

Civilized said:

Wolfpack said:

You supporting Justin Amash says everything we need to know about you. He aligned himself with a member of the Flunky Bunch, known anti-Semite Rashida Talib. Maybe IseWolf22 is short for IsisWolf22? Just wondering since you just stated he's your fantasy candidate.....

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tag/donald-trump?source=%2Fnews%2Fjustin-amash-primary-challenger-he-has-more-in-common-with-rashida-tlaib-than-gop-voters

https://www.michiganadvance.com/2019/05/23/with-tlaib-and-amash-michigan-becomes-epicenter-of-trump-impeachment-fight/

https://www.newsweek.com/racist-disgusting-ex-gop-congressman-justin-amash-blasts-trump-1449164

And I don't need to post any of her anti-Semitic rants. We all know they exist and he never once has called her out for it, spoken out against them or come out in support of people who have. You judge people by the company they keep and their actions.

Good to know where you stand.
Hush child
IseWolf22
cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

cowboypack02 said:

tuffy1006 said:

I agree with you that social media would change as we know it, and very well may disappear if those companies lose Section 230 protection. My thought is that the social media companies have found a work around where they aren't technically publishers, but through selective enforcement of their rules and regulations are a defacto publisher because of that. There are many instances where conservatives are shadow banned or have to delete content because it runs afoul of the T&C, but there are users with a different political leaning that don't suffer the same consequences if what they tweet runs against the T&C.

I saw the same things with the warning labels during covid and the election. If you tweeted that Trump was cheated you got a warning, but not if you tweeted #notmypresident when Trump won in 2016. Same with the Covid stuff. The notes attached to messages and tweets only ran to things that disagreed with certain people, but now those are having to be retracted. For almost a year there was a warning that it was dis-information if someone tweeted that Covid came from a lab, but now you no longer see that because Twitter has come out and said that it may of been incorrect. In the first sentence of item #2 above you said Social media is provided protection from lawsuits because that's the only way its possible to run a website where people can post without pre-moderation. I would argue that by adding notes when someone post something that goes against public opinion that is the definition of pre-moderation.

As far as tic-tock. They did come out of nowhere and they do still exist. My comment was in regards to social media sites that conservatives put together. I don't think that anyone can argue that right leaning sites like Parler haven't been punished because of where those companies stand politically. Here is the quote from amazon on why they removed Parler from their web hosting platform:

"Parler was not doing enough to prevent the spread of posts inciting violence, following unrest at the U.S. Capitol by Trump supporters last Wednesday after weeks of violent rhetoric on online sites."

If this is the standard for being hosted, they why is facebook and twitter allowed to be active online? Its been proven that both of those platforms have been used extensively in planning and getting the word out on the riots and violence all of last year. At least 25 people were killed and over 2 billion dollars with of damage was caused due directly to the 2020 riots. I believe that there is a definite double standard in the way that social media platforms are handled depending on who is managing and owns them.

You're not going to see me defend the uneven enforcement, because I agree it's a problem. Where I disagree is the solution.

If you want sites to exists where people can largely post the content they want, without pre-approval on every post, you have to have something like Section 230. There just isn't a way to make it work. Social media companies didn't find a work around, because this is how the law was intended to work. Giving these companies broad authority to police themselves in pursuit of an environment fostering innovation and open communication.

Parler is back online now. They struggled getting off AWS quickly, but it is doable and if any rich conservative wants to finance the next Facebook competitor, there are a multitude of ways to go about it without having to deal with Apple/Google/Amazon. Ultimately these companies just care about their bottom line. If people leave and deny them add revenue, they will change, or a competitor will fill it's space. Ultimately it comes down to freedom of association. SCOTUS would overturn any law requiring Social media to host content that it doesn't want.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.