What "everyday" foods do you just not care for?

5,421 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ncsupack1
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tootie4Pack said:

Liver and gizzards. I'm a good ole country boy, but I cant stand any type of liver and gizzards. My late brother Tootie ate gizzards like eating popcorn. I'll pass.

Of course , I'll eat chitterlings in a minute, but can't stand liver and gizzards.
Absolutely love both fried gizzards and fried chitterlings. Especially with some Texas Pete on them and a side of collards and cornbread.
SportManagementEngineer
Tobaccoroadsportscafe said:

Mustard. I can't even stand smelling it without wanting to throw up.
This. And I would add pickles. The smell factor, too.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
SexualChocolate
I saw how chitterlings were made one time and can still smell it. I did try it and it was not bad but could not get the smell out of head.
ciscopack
Tootie4Pack said:

Liver and gizzards. I'm a good ole country boy, but I cant stand any type of liver and gizzards. My late brother Tootie ate gizzards like eating popcorn. I'll pass.

Of course , I'll eat chitterlings in a minute, but can't stand liver and gizzards.
I don't eat filters either.
AlleyPack
Mayonnaise.
The smell of it, the texture, and most definitely the taste. It just disgusts me.

I'm not a big fan of bananas, either, but if stranded on a tropical island, I suppose I could force them down.

If it was Mayo Island, though, I'd be dead within a week.
Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Absolutely love both fried gizzards and fried chitterlings. Especially with some Texas Pete on them and a side of collards and cornbread.

Collards and cornbread. Two of my favorite things to eat. Throw in some fresh field peas/crowder peas, and that is like eating candy.

Grew up working on my Grandfather's tobacco farm in Beaufort County. Ate fresh veggies every lunch and supper. Why I love field peas. And put some Irish potatoes and Down East boiled corn meal dumplings in with those collards....it don't get much better than that.

And that makes some mighty good pot liquor, too. .
pack99
My weird one is that I actually prefer a thin patty fast food hamburger over anything from a "fancier" burger joint. I know exactly why. My mom would cook hamburgers pretty often growing up and would make them really thick. Also, pretty sure she would bake them in the oven rather than the grill. Probably fatty ground beef too. Anyway, they made me sick every time and I eventually just stopped eating them. To this day, I'll eat a Whopper Jr. but I'll pass on Bad Daddy's.
wilmwolf
I'm reminded of the Eddie Murphy routine about his mom cooking burgers instead of taking him to McDonald's.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
BBW12OG
BTG.... you should change the subject line to include recipes for us to share with one another. That could even be one Hendu and Steve could consider pinning to the top. It definitely would be one that could be used forever!
packgrad
Have you had Freddy's? They're right up your ally for burgers.
BBW12OG
pack99 said:

My weird one is that I actually prefer a thin patty fast food hamburger over anything from a "fancier" burger joint. I know exactly why. My mom would cook hamburgers pretty often growing up and would make them really thick. Also, pretty sure she would bake them in the oven rather than the grill. Probably fatty ground beef too. Anyway, they made me sick every time and I eventually just stopped eating them. To this day, I'll eat a Whopper Jr. but I'll pass on Bad Daddy's.
There are a few places scattered around the Midwest that use thin burgers seared on a flat top and the outside is charred crisp. You can get a single, double, triple, quad, or stack. The grease is phenomenal and the buns aren't brioche'. They are straight up $1.99 for 8 at the grocery store. Add cheese, whatever toppings including chili and you are right back at a greasy spoon circa 1985. The gourmet burgers have definitely jumped the shark with all the add ons and fanciness. But if you want a good ol' fashioned burger the thin ones stacked up off a flat top griddle are hard to beat.
Bell Tower Grey
Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Collards and cornbread. Two of my favorite things to eat. Throw in some fresh field peas/crowder peas, and that is like eating candy.

Grew up working on my Grandfather's tobacco farm in Beaufort County. Ate fresh veggies every lunch and supper. Why I love field peas. And put some Irish potatoes and Down East boiled corn meal dumplings in with those collards....it don't get much better than that.

Good pot liquor is a gift from the food gods. My good wife freezes it when there is some left over and mixes it with stock in some dishes when she's cooking.

I was talking with her last night about this thread (she's not a poster nor a reader here) and various food likes / dislikes. When I got up this morning she was frying fatback (haven't had it in a while) with a pan of cathead biscuits in the oven and scrambling eggs for breakfast.
Bell Tower Grey
BBW12OG said:

BTG.... you should change the subject line to include recipes for us to share with one another. That could even be one Hendu and Steve could consider pinning to the top. It definitely would be one that could be used forever!
I tried to edit the topic name, but was not able to. wolfer, or another mod, if you can and will edit the title, please do.

"All things food - likes, dislikes, recipes, etc..Post here"

Thanks.
AlleyPack
Bell Tower Grey said:

BBW12OG said:

I tried to edit the topic name, but was not able to. wolfer, or another mod, if you can and will edit the title, please do.

"All things food - likes, dislikes, recipes, etc..Post here"

Thanks.

I think you should just start a new topic -- your favorite recipes.
Let's liven up the Water Cooler and get away from all the hate.
packgrad
Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Good pot liquor is a gift from the food gods. My good wife freezes it when there is some left over and mixes it with stock in some dishes when she's cooking.

I was talking with her last night about this thread (she's not a poster nor a reader here) and various food likes / dislikes. When I got up this morning she was frying fatback (haven't had it in a while) with a pan of cathead biscuits in the oven and scrambling eggs for breakfast.

In Valle Crucis there is a restaurant called Over Yonder Cafe. They serve a pot liquor gumbo that is fantastic. I think they're closed for the winter, but it's a spot to try out when they open back up, and definitely try the pot liquor gumbo.
Bell Tower Grey
A couple of years ago while passing through, a friend of mine took me to Windy City Grill in Hickory fpr a late breakfast. He ordered a livermush and egg sandwich. As I sat there listening to what others were ordering, several more people ordered livermush in some form for breakfast. Folks, there's no way on earth will I ever eat that stuff. It looked horrible, smelled worse, and almost made me sick. I have no idea what's in it, nor do I care to. Apparently though, folks around there tend to eat it like most of us do bacon or sausage.
packgrad
Bell Tower Grey said:

A couple of years ago while passing through, a friend of mine took me to Windy City Grill in Hickory fpr a late breakfast. He ordered a livermush and egg sandwich. As I sat there listening to what others were ordering, several more people ordered livermush in some form for breakfast. Folks, there's no way on earth will I ever eat that stuff. It looked horrible, smelled worse, and almost made me sick. I have no idea what's in it, nor do I care to. Apparently though, folks around there tend to eat it like most of us do bacon or sausage.
I love it. There used to be a breakfast spot in Morehead City. Old greasy spoon type place. They served livermush. I occasionally had to pick the pig hair out, but it still tasted good.

I cook liver pudding for breakfast when the family is in town and we're cooking a big breakfast. My mom and I are the only ones that eat it though.
Bell Tower Grey
Is liver pudding the same as livermush? Can't be that much difference, I suppose.

As for the pig hair, that's no worse than a quill on a chicken wing, or a lab hair on the rim of my bourbon glass. It's all good.
Pack87
I will second meatloaf and mayonnaise as awful. When someone mentions good meatloaf I say it is an oxymoron. You can add bell peppers or anything that includes them to the list.
wilmwolf
I don't care for fried chicken livers or gizzards, but I definitely eat liver pudding. Liver pudding slices browned in the pan with some butter was how we do it. Have it over grits or in a sandwich. I still crave it about once a year, in fact, I think I'm going to go get some tonight.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
tuffy1006
cole slaw.
CloudPack
I feel that this will be an unpopular opinion but I've never been into watermelon. I can tolerate it but I'd prefer not to.
Packchem91
In what godforsaken world did meatloaf become an "everyday" meal?

For me, two local products are at the top of the list, both toppings/condiments, but I'd rather starve myself than eat either:
mayo
pickles

When we eat burgers or something like that, my kids threaten me with the pickles they are eating, and it has nearly resulted in a whipping a couple of times.

Bell Tower Grey
91, I daresay that many diners / restaurants may offer meatloaf as a special at least one day a week. Whether they do or not is of no concern to me because I don't eat it.
gtman49
Not sure if I would call it an everyday food but I wouldn't miss olives. Vile things.

Other than on a burger, tomatoes can fall in that category too.
TheStorm
Bell Tower Grey said:

She'd probably love your motor boating thread.
TheStorm
packgrad said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Tootie4Pack said:

In Valle Crucis there is a restaurant called Over Yonder Cafe. They serve a pot liquor gumbo that is fantastic. I think they're closed for the winter, but it's a spot to try out when they open back up, and definitely try the pot liquor gumbo.
The place on the other side of the road in between the Mast Store Annex and the original Mast Store? I'll have to check that out.
packgrad
Yep.
TheStorm
Bell Tower Grey said:

Have eaten there many, many times over the years... but would never, ever under any circumstances order anything that has the word "liver" in it. From anywhere.

Locals (of which is guess I was for two separate stints as an adult) call the place "Homer's".
Bell Tower Grey
TheStorm said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

She'd probably love your motor boating thread.
I'm thinking that's one she definitely won't know anything about.
caryking
BBW12OG said:

packgrad said:

Meatloaf is wonderful. My wife never cooks it so when I get it it's a cherished meal. Only home cooked though. I don't order it out.

Okra is wonderful. I wish movie theaters would consider selling fried okra beside the popcorn.

For some reason I've started developing a dislike for eggs. It varies though. Sometimes I love them. Sometimes they make me vomititious.

Canned cranberries. As a child I could eat the whole can. Now I don't even like them on the table.
Not sure if you have ever have tried cooking meatloaf in a smoker... I highly recommend it!!!!!
Amos Mosquitos, at Atlantic Beach, makes a dang good meatloaf...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Tootie4Pack
Yes they do. In fact, Our family loves all of the food at Skeeters.

And Angie's Restaurant in Garner also has some delicious meatloaf.
Bell Tower Grey
Beets. One of the most vile things, next to liquorice, I have ever tasted.
caryking
Tootie4Pack said:

Never been to Skeeters. Is that at the Oceana Pier?
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Tootie4Pack
pineknollshoresking said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Never been to Skeeters. Is that at the Oceana Pier?
"Skeeters" is the nick name for Amos Mosquitos. Short for mosquitos.

And as I said, we love all of their food. Their meatloaf is great, their grilled pork chops are great, and The crab cakes and penne pasta, with fresh spinach and sun dried tomatoes, are worth driving to the beach just to eat them.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.