Get woke. Go broke.

21,211 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SupplyChainPack
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Take notice, NFL and MLB.

Most of the country doesn't share radical leftist views. And leftists don't support the teams, aside from "liking" leftist tweets.

NBA Finals ratings ALL TIME LOWS.

GuerrillaPack
They think they're "woke". In reality, they are blind and deaf - without eyes to see or ears to hear.
Steve Williams
Staff
It seems viewership is down among all the sports. Kinda weird actually.
GuerrillaPack
Just read that article. Wow. Ratings are down 44% from last years finals, and 58% from the 2018 finals. That's a solid rejection of this recent HARD turn by these leagues to push a communist-Leftist political agenda.
packgrad
It's incredible how much their ratings have nosedived. 2 best players in the game on the same team in the finals, and worst ratings ever. Aside from showing how much better MJ was, it emphasizes that the greater general public is fed up with the woke.
Bas2020
Steve Williams said:

Not weird at all . Every single sport went Woke.

The virus also taught many people that they can live without sports as an escape .

I predicted this years ago when it came to ESPN getting political as well as sports radio . It's beyond stupid to alienate 55-60% of your base audience . It makes zero business sense .
ciscopack
Football is just a good game to watch....I'd rather watch State than any Pro game. The pro games....I watch the former NC State players, the great games and the $17.25 million Little Man. ...even at that, I miss some weeks of pro football. I no longer get every game...too expensive....I don't care to watch teams I'm fed....Panthers and Washington less Harmon.

I don't like college basketball as good these days...it should be like baseball....the NBA shouldn't take anyone prior to 3 years in college. Guys who want to go earlier, need to go to some kind of pro league or semi-pro and not college. It's takes 1.5 year to know a player....the teams are different every year....transfers and all grades of crap. Take the top 15% of college players elsewhere that don't want college.

Pro basketball.....I watched 1 quarter last night.....that's it for this year. When Bird and Magic come back, I'll watch again.

Baseball...none yet so far.....I would watch State guys if I know ahead of time. I usually watch some of the WS.

Golf....4-5-6 tourneys

NASCAR - parts of 6-7 races/year .....it's all filler until the last 50 laps
Civilized
Somewhere, Hendu just had a heart murmur.
packgrad
Lol
SupplyChainPack
Bas2020 said:

Steve Williams said:

The virus also taught many people that they can live without sports as an escape .

I predicted this years ago when it came to ESPN getting political as well as sports radio . It's beyond stupid to alienate 55-60% of your base audience . It makes zero business sense .

Exactly.
packgrad
Bas2020 said:

Steve Williams said:

I think you hit the nail on the head here. When we had no sports, I was desperate for them. Mostly for what would feel like a return to normalcy. When the sports world decided they should use it to try to push some leftist agenda, I realized I survived just fine without watching sports all the time. Now, I watch college football, a little bit of baseball, golf, and that's about it. Definitely don't spend all day Sunday watching NFL anymore, nor stay up late to watch NBA playoffs. I did try to catch #TJPOY when I could and do check in to see how our guys in the nfl did. And quite frankly my support for college athletics is teetering as well. I'm committed to this year and next with my WPC donations. Thereafter, we'll see.
Pacfanweb
Honestly, I'm pretty burned out and disgusted with sports even before all the SJW crap started infiltrating them.

I have always been WAY more college sports oriented, and between NC State refusing to try to be a winner and accepting mediocrity (or even less than that in football) and then the UNC cheating going unpunished....it's become clear to me that the playing field not only isn't level; It's rigged.
The Cheaters not even getting a slap on the wrist and the NCAA accepting the "typo" defense was total horse crap.
No, the NCAA didn't have the authority to declare UNC's fake classes to be fake, but they did NOT have to accept UNC's "typo" excuse.
To review, UNC's whole defense was "Yeah, the classes are crap but they're OUR classes and you can't tell us they're fake, and we say they're not"
NCAA says, "Okay, but you admitted in writing to SACS they were fake and allowed SACS to put you on probation for it, which is unprecedented, and you agreed to "make whole" the degree of anyone to took a fake class by offering a real class to them for free to make up those hours."

"But you admitted in writing the classes were fake"...that was the NCAA's response.

UNC's response was "That was a typo". Literally, that's what they said.

And the NCAA, instead of going "Yeah, not buying it Junior, nobody would believe that lie. Even YOU don't believe it. BOOM"

Instead of that, the totally complicit NCAA said "Oh, well...since you won't admit it, we're done here, then". And dropped it.

Then UNC hires Mack Brown, and he and his bag men have once again locked up NC's recruiting and relegated Donut Dave and Co. to a VERY distant second tier. Absolutely destroying us in recruiting.

When that happened, coupled with State not even trying to win in football for all these years? I'm pretty much done with college sports, and when the SJW crap started in the pros, which I already wasn't a huge fan of to begin with.....I can live without it.

If State ever decides to, or realizes that football is the key to everything, and does what needs to be done along with demanding excellence at ANY level? I might care a bit more.

But life is too short, so I will remain a casual observer. It sure is a lot less frustrating.

Sports going away because of Covid just brought a lot of folks around to what I was already thinking, and reinforced my thoughts on them.
SupplyChainPack
Great post!
Pacfanweb
Further, my burn out on NC State sports, football specifically, has been with recruiting and all the apologists for the continual poor coaching.

How do you get 45pts hung on you in your 8th season by a 3rd string QB? How do you continually not
show up for the start of games, or for the entire game?

It's coaching, and Dave isn't good at it. He was propped up by a great QB transfer and OC for a few years, and got lucky with a few DL recruits at the same time. Otherwise, he's sucked, but so many make excuses for him, even now.

And recruiting....I REALLY got tired of the websites fawning over yet another 3* guy "because he has other P5 offers". Whoop T Doo. Build a whole team of those guys, and you'll have a team full of dudes that would be 3rd string at Clemson. And a few of them will turn out to be good, but most of them will not. Proven beyond any shadow of a doubt.
Well, unless you have some fantastic coaching and scheming....which we don't.

So folks getting all crazy over another top 50 NC kid, while Paw Paw Mack is locking up the top 20 in the state? He is DESTROYING Dave.
Currently has 6 of the top 10 in NC. Dave has zero.
Mack has 4 of the next 10. Dave has 2. Hell, Tennessee and Clemson have as many as Dave.

So Mack has 10 of the top 20, Dave has 2. That's it. He's done. Will never, ever, ever, ever compete on a yearly basis with UNC like that. Only going to get worse from here.
Our only chance is with a Rivers/Russell level QB and OC....and we have none of those.

Not to get all into football here, but the recruiting reporting has just been a huge turnoff for me....I realize the recruiting dudes have to not be too negative about recruiting or they might lose their access to the team, but the constant hyping of sub-par recruiting is just too much for me, along with all the SJW nonsense.
GuerrillaPack
There absolutely is a huge amount of "rigging" (corruption to favor certain teams, etc) that goes on in sports -- pro and college. One of the most blatant recent examples was when ex NBA referee Tim Donaghy exposed that officials were "routinely" encouraged/ordered to rig games to favor certain teams. I remember, for example, the Western Conference finals between the Lakers and Kings in the early 2000s, and could not believe how blatantly biased the officiating was in favor of the Lakers. I'm certain that one was rigged.

Anyone who watches ACC refball....errrr "basketball"...can see that this goes on. For years, officiating has been BLATANTLY biased in favor of Duke and UNC in ACC games.

Then you look at the HUGE disparity in how the NCAA enforces its rules against the "blue blood" schools and others. It will destroy certain schools (eg, SMU) for violations, and then give the "blue blood" schools (unc-CHeat) a slap on the wrist for violations that are even more egregious.
wilmwolf
It is humorous to me the number of folks that pay for a sports themed message board that are so anti sports. I watch what I want, and don't what I don't. If sports, or NC State sports specifically, put you off so much, why stick around? Get a bike or kayak or something. Life's too short, go be happy. There are lots of miserable people around these boards waiting for NC State sports to make them happy. Go make your own happiness.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Pacfanweb
^That's why I have said if we don't fight the NCAA tooth and nail and refuse to accept any punishment other than what we've proposed over this Gott stuff, I am done.

No school should accept anything from the NCAA now that they've allowed UNCheat to get away with the biggest academic cheating scandal in history by saying "it was a typo".

So add in players wanting to protest and wear SJW patches and whatnot.....when all anyone wants to do is watch a damn game? Screw it.
Pacfanweb
wilmwolf80 said:

It is humorous to me the number of folks that pay for a sports themed message board that are so anti sports. I watch what I want, and don't what I don't. If sports, or NC State sports specifically, put you off so much, why stick around? Get a bike or kayak or something. Life's too short, go be happy.
If that's what you got out of my post, I don't know what to tell you.

I love sports. I just want to playing field to be level, and I want NC State to actually CARE about winning.

We used to. That's what I grew up with.

Willis Casey would have fired Doeren after his first season. THAT is what a school that gives a damn about sports does. They don't let Mike O'Cain Version 2.0 stay around for 8 years.

And that's exactly what Doeren is. MOC was probably a better coach. Give him a Fedora to face at UNC and he probably beats them a couple times. Give him 1 extra "gimme" win with the 12 game schedule and see how their records compare.
MOC's best season > Dave's by a considerable margin, I can tell you that for sure.

And MAF fired him after going 6-6.

We need another MAF.
wilmwolf
Was I responding to your post? I don't think I was. It was a general statement. If I was replying to you, I would've done just that.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
johntom
Some of the ratings decline is for sure from people being burnt out on the constant political grandstanding. I think a lot though is that the product isn't as good across the board and there are more sports on at the same time than ever.

The NBA games in the bubble feel like glorified summer league games. Football games aren't nearly as fun or interesting without the crowd. The excitement from the crowd matters. I think it's why college sports remain so popular.

On top of this, almost every sport is on at the same time. In the past, the sports calendar was spread out almost perfectly. There were meaningless bubble games that were getting better ratings than playoff games in the NBA because there wasn't any competition at the time. Now, we have NFL, college football, NBA, NHL just ended, golf, MLB playoffs, etc.
Pacfanweb
johntom said:

Some of the ratings decline is for sure from people being burnt out on the constant political grandstanding. I think a lot though is that the product isn't as good across the board and there are more sports on at the same time than ever.

The NBA games in the bubble feel like glorified summer league games. Football games aren't nearly as fun or interesting without the crowd. The excitement from the crowd matters. I think it's why college sports remain so popular.

On top of this, almost every sport is on at the same time. In the past, the sports calendar was spread out almost perfectly. There were meaningless bubble games that were getting better ratings than playoff games in the NBA because there wasn't any competition at the time. Now, we have NFL, college football, NBA, NHL just ended, golf, MLB playoffs, etc.
That's true. We basically never get a break from the NFL now. We hear about that all year. Fall camp, season, playoffs, Super Bowl, spring training camps, summer off season trades, then fall camp again.

They've made a ton of money doing it that way, but I do think as a sports nation, we became too enamored with sports. ESPN was a big part of that.

Hopefully, people will at least in part, begin to walk their obsession with sports back a bit, closer to where it belongs: As entertainment.
packgrad
wilmwolf80 said:

It is humorous to me the number of folks that pay for a sports themed message board that are so anti sports. I watch what I want, and don't what I don't. If sports, or NC State sports specifically, put you off so much, why stick around? Get a bike or kayak or something. Life's too short, go be happy. There are lots of miserable people around these boards waiting for NC State sports to make them happy. Go make your own happiness.

I haven't really noticed anyone posting here that is anti sports. I've noticed people posting here that don't want our sports politicized, but none that are anti sports. I don't think it's a bad thing to want NC State sports to make you happy. That's why we donate money to the WPC. Some would consider that helping to make their own happiness.

I fish. I hunt. I hike. I don't need NC State sports to make me happy. They do need me, and people like me though.

Edit to add... I have noticed those who are against sports as it relates to the election infection. So I do kind of walk back my previous statement.
cowboypack02
Pacfanweb said:

Honestly, I'm pretty burned out and disgusted with sports even before all the SJW crap started infiltrating them.

I have always been WAY more college sports oriented, and between NC State refusing to try to be a winner and accepting mediocrity (or even less than that in football) and then the UNC cheating going unpunished....it's become clear to me that the playing field not only isn't level; It's rigged.
The Cheaters not even getting a slap on the wrist and the NCAA accepting the "typo" defense was total horse crap.
No, the NCAA didn't have the authority to declare UNC's fake classes to be fake, but they did NOT have to accept UNC's "typo" excuse.
To review, UNC's whole defense was "Yeah, the classes are crap but they're OUR classes and you can't tell us they're fake, and we say they're not"
NCAA says, "Okay, but you admitted in writing to SACS they were fake and allowed SACS to put you on probation for it, which is unprecedented, and you agreed to "make whole" the degree of anyone to took a fake class by offering a real class to them for free to make up those hours."

"But you admitted in writing the classes were fake"...that was the NCAA's response.

UNC's response was "That was a typo". Literally, that's what they said.

And the NCAA, instead of going "Yeah, not buying it Junior, nobody would believe that lie. Even YOU don't believe it. BOOM"

Instead of that, the totally complicit NCAA said "Oh, well...since you won't admit it, we're done here, then". And dropped it.

Then UNC hires Mack Brown, and he and his bag men have once again locked up NC's recruiting and relegated Donut Dave and Co. to a VERY distant second tier. Absolutely destroying us in recruiting.

When that happened, coupled with State not even trying to win in football for all these years? I'm pretty much done with college sports, and when the SJW crap started in the pros, which I already wasn't a huge fan of to begin with.....I can live without it.

If State ever decides to, or realizes that football is the key to everything, and does what needs to be done along with demanding excellence at ANY level? I might care a bit more.

But life is too short, so I will remain a casual observer. It sure is a lot less frustrating.

Sports going away because of Covid just brought a lot of folks around to what I was already thinking, and reinforced my thoughts on them.
I'll about where you are. If I have nothing else to do i'll watch a State game, but haven't watched anything else sports related in a while.

I found that I have spent more time in the woods, taking pictures, and out in the workshop lately....i've really enjoyed not sitting infront of the TV.

I will say that this board is the most i'm getting out of sports....and i've really enjoyed it with all of you guys
cowboypack02
wilmwolf80 said:

I enjoy the hell out of the watercooler threads...
ncsualum05
Steve Williams said:

Nothing weird about it. People don't want to see politics when they turn on their sports. Not sure this bell can be unrung but if they want to fall into the abyss so be it.
cowboypack02
ncsualum05 said:

Steve Williams said:

Nothing weird about it. People don't want to see politics when they turn on their sports. Not sure this bell can be unrung but if they want to fall into the abyss so be it.
This is it. I don't want to hear Lebron James, Tom Brady, or anyone's political beliefs. When I turn on a game I want to watch the game...not see Black Lives Matter on a basketball court.

When your off the court do whatever you want....but on it I don't care about your opinion and don't want to hear it.

Laura Ingram caught a bunch of **** from everyone when she said "just shut up and dribble". The truth of the matter is that is what most people want, and I think that the ratings of all of the sports show.
SupplyChainPack
cowboypack02 said:

ncsualum05 said:

Steve Williams said:

This is it. I don't want to hear Lebron James, Tom Brady, or anyone's political beliefs. When I turn on a game I want to watch the game...not see Black Lives Matter on a basketball court.

When your off the court do whatever you want....but on it I don't care about your opinion and don't want to hear it.

Laura Ingram caught a bunch of **** from everyone when she said "just shut up and dribble". The truth of the matter is that is what most people want, and I think that the ratings of all of the sports show.

Amen.

Also, I have been thinking about getting a kayak - anyone have any recommendations?
caryking
Steve Williams said:

Isn't it really the same thing in all sports? Some worse than others... and ESPN is an absolute dumpster fire that is related to sports, in general.
Glasswolf
packgrad said:

Most of the country doesn't share radical leftist views. And leftists don't support the teams, aside from "liking" leftist tweets.

I haven't watched NBA or NFL in over 10 years. Their radical views (which I share many) have had nothing to do with it either
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

packgrad
Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

I haven't watched NBA or NFL in over 10 years. Their radical views (which I share many) have had nothing to do with it either

Cool. So you wouldn't be one of the lost viewers then.
SupplyChainPack
I wonder if Lebron has a kayak?
TheStorm
Pacfanweb said:

Willis Casey would have fired Doeren after his first season.
Who was out Athletic Director when Tom Reed was here for three (3) seasons?
SupplyChainPack
The cancer continues to spread:

"Duke Basketball Debuts Woke 'Equality' Jerseys"

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2020/10/02/duke-basketball-debuts-woke-equality-jerseys/

Steve Williams
Staff
Pacfanweb said:

Further, my burn out on NC State sports, football specifically, has been with recruiting and all the apologists for the continual poor coaching.

How do you get 45pts hung on you in your 8th season by a 3rd string QB? How do you continually not

It's coaching, and Dave isn't good at it. He was propped up by a great QB transfer and OC for a few years, and got lucky with a few DL recruits at the same time. Otherwise, he's sucked, but so many make excuses for him, even now.

And recruiting....I REALLY got tired of the websites fawning over yet another 3* guy "because he has other P5 offers". Whoop T Doo. Build a whole team of those guys, and you'll have a team full of dudes that would be 3rd string at Clemson. And a few of them will turn out to be good, but most of them will not. Proven beyond any shadow of a doubt.

So folks getting all crazy over another top 50 NC kid, while Paw Paw Mack is locking up the top 20 in the state? He is DESTROYING Dave.
Mack has 4 of the next 10. Dave has 2. Hell, Tennessee and Clemson have as many as Dave.

So Mack has 10 of the top 20, Dave has 2. That's it. He's done. Will never, ever, ever, ever compete on a yearly basis with UNC like that. Only going to get worse from here.
Our only chance is with a Rivers/Russell level QB and OC....and we have none of those.

Not to get all into football here, but the recruiting reporting has just been a huge turnoff for me....I realize the recruiting dudes have to not be too negative about recruiting or they might lose their access to the team, but the constant hyping of sub-par recruiting is just too much for me, along with all the SJW nonsense.
Whoa man, them's fighting words LOL but I get where you're coming from.
Pacfanweb
Steve Williams said:

Pacfanweb said:

Whoa man, them's fighting words LOL but I get where you're coming from.
Not really from here, Steve. Really talking about that other site. They could give Baghdad Bob a run for his money with their spinning of our crappy recruiting.
And I guess in some ways, they really don't have a lot of choice. They (and I guess you as well) can't just say "Welp, here's yet another low 3* kid that we'll get excited about because SC and Clemson also offered him as a fall back"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.