Woodward Tapes // Admin Response to Coronavirus

9,713 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by caryking
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

SupplyChainPack said:

Also, what do you mean by "showing empathy for covid-19 victims"?

Give some specific examples of what he should be doing now to "show empathy".

not mocking people being scared every time something happens? Not waiting months to say "masks are good" but then mocking his opponent regularly as a chicken for wearing one....which can't play very well to people who've had their lives and families altered?
Would he mock a cancer victim for wearing long sleeves in the middle of the summer?

Maybe one time having a presser and getting emotional about the fact that more than 100k Americans have died from this?

If I need to describe to you what empathy for victims of loss looks like --- and that this president shows it, than there is really no reason to debate it. There can be a bunch of things you like about Trump, but his ability to demonstrate empathy -- for anything -- can not possibly be one.**

**His comments about McCain's status as a POW, and then what appear to be similar comments about other military folks even further exemplifies what may be his single biggest flaw?

He doesn't mock people being scared every time something happens. That's just made up outrage.

Waiting months to say masks are good has dick to do with empathy.

He mocks Biden regularly for wearing one? That's a bit of a stretch too.

He's had press conferences where he expresses remorse for people affected.

He's had dozens of meetings with people where he has shown empathy in regards to the virus, personal loss, violence, war, etc. I get they're not broadcast 24/7 since he's the enemy of the press, but to deny they happen is very head in the sand for someone who claims to see all sides.

McCain has dick to do with this as does the make believe Atlantic story I'm guessing you're trolling with. McCain and he had a bad relationship.
OK.

What kind of POS do you have to be, that, even when you have a disagreement with someone, you lash out and say that being a POW just proves you were a loser?

I mean, the fact you would justify those comments because "they had a bad relationship", speaks volumes.

And is why you are definitely in the "trump no matter what'ters"

I don't justify his comments about McCain But you can't use his comments about someone he has a contentious relationship to say he shows no empathy for anyone.

That's very TDS.
packgrad
statefan91 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Bas2020 said:

The election will essentially be over at 11pm on the night of the first debate .
It's cute that you think there are still gonna be debates.

There is no way that anyone allows Biden to get on a stage with Trump, even though Biden will get the questions in advance.
I agree, there is really no point in a debate.

There is absolutely a point in having the debates. Are you kidding?
SupplyChainPack
cowboypack02 said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Disagreed. Sounds like a lot of after the fact driving to me. Trump administration did not "cause" the shutdown nor are they responsible for partial and failed reopenings. That is just partisan hobgobblery.
Right, because it is clear Trump's team had a great plan in place when cases started escalating with plenty of PPE for the frontline and availability of masks, etc for the general public.

You know, its ok to say Trump --- and pretty much every leader in the world -- screwed up. It's forgivable to make decisional issues with a novel virus, and/or to change your approach after you learn more.
But to say you knew it was worse AND to not implement procedures to help ensure front-line workers would be protected....that's difficult to minimize.

But, of course 40% will support him if he directly shot their mom, 40% would vote against him if he turned them all into millionaires and had had implemented policies that resulted in 0 covid deaths.

Those middle 20% though.....

The 40% nonsense is so typical of message board warriors. It's just stupid and unbecoming.

Trump placed big orders before he even declared a state of emergency, before there were even 20000-30000 cases nationally. That would be considered an effort to protect frontline workers. Maybe not to leftists I guess.

Trump has changed strategy multiple times as he's learned more.

LOTS of backseat driving.

Mehh, if he had reacted when he clearly first knew it was problem, and had the PPE then, he may have actually been able to do what you propose --- not shut down.

The 40% nonsense is clearly a bit of exaggeration -- but there are some large % of base who would under almost no circumstance, vote against Trump now
Likewise, there are some large % of left voters, who almost under no circumstance, would vote for Trump. Jeez....the reason every Dem is pushing voter registration in black colleges, areas, etc, is because they know 95% of those folks will vote Dem w/no other marketing effort required.

So both sides have their entrenched groups who will not budge. Trump and the media have helped entrench both of those groups.

And If Trump had the capacity to show some degree of empathy -- for either Covid victims or racial injustice victims, he'd likely be leading the polls despite his bad decisions at the beginning of Covid. Whatever else we want in a POTUS, most still want a decent person (see also, why HRC could not be elected)
oh no.....you can't leave the democrats out of that comment.

The democrats have done absolutely everything they can to vilify Trump and anyone that has ad anything to do with his administration.

Between that and there being and absolute two party system of justice in this country where you don't have to play by the same rules as the rest of society depending on the letter behind you name we have the situation that we are in now.

#resist
Civilized
SupplyChainPack said:

But what if it isn't racial injustice? What if, instead, it's isolated cases blown well out of proportion? What if even those cases are just law enforcement officers doing an extremely tough and dangerous job dealing with violent criminals who are aggressively resisting arrest?

Should he really be calling that racial injustice?

The problem is the lack of acknowledgment by Trump and Barr of racial inequities and injustices in criminal justice. There are demonstrable injustices that need rectifying and there is grossly insufficient acknowledgment of this by his administration.

He can't lead into that conversation by talking about how Blake's circumstance may not be the best example of racial injustice. Acknowledge all the injustices that are real, earn trust, and then debate the finer points and draw lines in the sand about what, and what does not, constitute racial injustice in policing.

The complete ignorance of racial injustices in criminal justice is much more damning than the specifics of the Blake case.

statefan91
packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Bas2020 said:

The election will essentially be over at 11pm on the night of the first debate .

There is no way that anyone allows Biden to get on a stage with Trump, even though Biden will get the questions in advance.

Nah, there's really not. If you're honest with yourself, Trump bull****s his way through about any speaking engagement he's at, whether it's making up stats, people, etc. Have you ever tried to read a transcript of the dude talking? Biden is a terrible debater as evidenced by the primaries and I don't think either's performance in a debate is going to be what draws an undecided voter in (if there are any left).
Packchem91
cowboypack02 said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Disagreed. Sounds like a lot of after the fact driving to me. Trump administration did not "cause" the shutdown nor are they responsible for partial and failed reopenings. That is just partisan hobgobblery.
Right, because it is clear Trump's team had a great plan in place when cases started escalating with plenty of PPE for the frontline and availability of masks, etc for the general public.

You know, its ok to say Trump --- and pretty much every leader in the world -- screwed up. It's forgivable to make decisional issues with a novel virus, and/or to change your approach after you learn more.
But to say you knew it was worse AND to not implement procedures to help ensure front-line workers would be protected....that's difficult to minimize.

But, of course 40% will support him if he directly shot their mom, 40% would vote against him if he turned them all into millionaires and had had implemented policies that resulted in 0 covid deaths.

The 40% nonsense is so typical of message board warriors. It's just stupid and unbecoming.

Trump placed big orders before he even declared a state of emergency, before there were even 20000-30000 cases nationally. That would be considered an effort to protect frontline workers. Maybe not to leftists I guess.

Mehh, if he had reacted when he clearly first knew it was problem, and had the PPE then, he may have actually been able to do what you propose --- not shut down.

The 40% nonsense is clearly a bit of exaggeration -- but there are some large % of base who would under almost no circumstance, vote against Trump now
Likewise, there are some large % of left voters, who almost under no circumstance, would vote for Trump. Jeez....the reason every Dem is pushing voter registration in black colleges, areas, etc, is because they know 95% of those folks will vote Dem w/no other marketing effort required.

So both sides have their entrenched groups who will not budge. Trump and the media have helped entrench both of those groups.

And If Trump had the capacity to show some degree of empathy -- for either Covid victims or racial injustice victims, he'd likely be leading the polls despite his bad decisions at the beginning of Covid. Whatever else we want in a POTUS, most still want a decent person (see also, why HRC could not be elected)

The democrats have done absolutely everything they can to vilify Trump and anyone that has ad anything to do with his administration.

Between that and there being and absolute two party system of justice in this country where you don't have to play by the same rules as the rest of society depending on the letter behind you name we have the situation that we are in now.
Sure....100% agree, should include Dems. And this isn't really new...the GOP did everything they could to vilify Obama.

I think we can all agree though, its at a new level now. Or, maybe just a louder level? Plenty of blame to go around.

I'll say it this way -- the media enables it, the politicians (of both sides) are enabled.
Now throw in someone who will absolutely spit in the face of the media (until they can help him, like he thought Woodward would do) and it gets even more caustic. Then the Dem politicians will enflame it all because they can.
Civilized
statefan91 said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Bas2020 said:

Nah, there's really not. If you're honest with yourself, Trump bull****s his way through about any speaking engagement he's at, whether it's making up stats, people, etc. Have you ever tried to read a transcript of the dude talking? Biden is a terrible debater as evidenced by the primaries and I don't think either's performance in a debate is going to be what draws an undecided voter in (if there are any left).

Agree. I think Biden's calm rationality would like good compared to Trump's pomp and bluster but I don't think it's going to be what sways voters.
packgrad
statefan91 said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Bas2020 said:

Hahaha. If I'm honest with myself???

If you're honest with yourself it ONLY has to do with Biden that this is even a discussion. The only people that even bring it up are Democrats.
packgrad
Civilized said:

statefan91 said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Bas2020 said:

Agree. I think Biden's calm rationality would like good compared to Trump's pomp and bluster but I don't think it's going to be what sways voters.

Yeah, Biden would look great in a debate, but let's not have it. Not sure it would sway enough voters. LOL!
Civilized
I'm fine with having it.

Fire it up!
SupplyChainPack
Civilized said:

SupplyChainPack said:

But what if it isn't racial injustice? What if, instead, it's isolated cases blown well out of proportion? What if even those cases are just law enforcement officers doing an extremely tough and dangerous job dealing with violent criminals who are aggressively resisting arrest?

The problem is the lack of acknowledgment by Trump and Barr of racial inequities and injustices in criminal justice. There are demonstrable injustices that need rectifying and there is grossly insufficient acknowledgment of this by his administration.

He can't lead into that conversation by talking about how Blake's circumstance may not be the best example of racial injustice. Acknowledge all the injustices that are real, earn trust, and then debate the finer points and draw lines in the sand about what, and what does not, constitute racial injustice in policing.

The complete ignorance of racial injustices in criminal justice is much more damning than the specifics of the Blake case.

Not really

There is a gross over representation of blacks committing violent crimes, however.

But who cares about that? Am I I right?
SupplyChainPack
packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Bas2020 said:

Hahaha. If I'm honest with myself???

If you're honest with yourself it ONLY has to do with Biden that this is even a discussion. The only people that even bring it up are Democrats.

Yep. The chorus of Dems trying to justify an escape from the debates is getting louder by the day.

We all know it's not because they think Biden will be too calm and honest during the debates.
SupplyChainPack
Packchem91 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Sure....100% agree, should include Dems. And this isn't really new...the GOP did everything they could to vilify Obama.

I think we can all agree though, its at a new level now. Or, maybe just a louder level? Plenty of blame to go around.

I'll say it this way -- the media enables it, the politicians (of both sides) are enabled.
Now throw in someone who will absolutely spit in the face of the media (until they can help him, like he thought Woodward would do) and it gets even more caustic. Then the Dem politicians will enflame it all because they can.

Obama was and is a villian. He lied to the American people with the same level of effort it took him to breath, and nearly as often.

He needed no help from the GOP to assume his role as villian. He did that well all by himself.
jadawson
SupplyChainPack said:

Packchem91 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Obama was and is a villian. He lied to the American people with the same level of effort it took him to breath, and nearly as often.

He needed no help from the GOP to assume his role as villian. He did that well all by himself.

Do you not see any irony in this statement? Do you not look at our current president and see the same thing? I know many people who are planning to vote for Trump in November but I don't know a single one of them that would call him an honest man. There are entire pages/twitter accounts that display past tweets that directly contradict what he has just said in an interview or briefing.
Pacfanweb
jadawson said:

SupplyChainPack said:

Packchem91 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Do you not see any irony in this statement? Do you not look at our current president and see the same thing? I know many people who are planning to vote for Trump in November but I don't know a single one of them that would call him an honest man. There are entire pages/twitter accounts that display past tweets that directly contradict what he has just said in an interview or briefing.
Do you not see that the media let all of Obama's lies go? But they let NOTHING go with Trump.
The only reason you can make this statement about "don't you see the same thing now?" is because of the media and their constant nit picking and hammering away at Trump.

They could have done that same thing to Obama. They did not. They WILLINGLY ignored whenever he lied or misspoke or simply got something wrong. Imagine if Trump said he had campaigned in 57 states. They'd talk about that for a week or more.

That is what people are pissed about. Totally biased, unfair coverage. If you're going to call out a President, call out ALL of them.
jadawson
Pacfanweb said:

jadawson said:

SupplyChainPack said:

Packchem91 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Do you not see that the media let all of Obama's lies go? But they let NOTHING go with Trump.
The only reason you can make this statement about "don't you see the same thing now?" is because of the media and their constant nit picking and hammering away at Trump.

They could have done that same thing to Obama. They did not. They WILLINGLY ignored whenever he lied or misspoke or simply got something wrong. Imagine if Trump said he had campaigned in 57 states. They'd talk about that for a week or more.

That is what people are pissed about. Totally biased, unfair coverage. If you're going to call out a President, call out ALL of them.
I agree that media needs to be less biased.

Do you agree that Donald Trump "was and is a villain. He lies to the American people with the same level of effort it takes him to breathe, and nearly as often. He needs no help from the Dems to assume his role as villain. He does that well all by himself"?

I do not agree that Obama lied anywhere near as much as Trump but thats not really worth discussing as Obama is not running for office any longer and is just a whataboutism at this point. If you think that its fine but not really worth discussing its validity at this point. But if you think the media needs to be unbiased then you need to be unbiased as well.
Cthepack
jadawson said:

Pacfanweb said:

jadawson said:

SupplyChainPack said:

Packchem91 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

I agree that media needs to be less biased.

Do you agree that Donald Trump "was and is a villain. He lies to the American people with the same level of effort it takes him to breathe, and nearly as often. He needs no help from the Dems to assume his role as villain. He does that well all by himself"?

I do not agree that Obama lied anywhere near as much as Trump but thats not really worth discussing as Obama is not running for office any longer and is just a whataboutism at this point. If you think that its fine but not really worth discussing its validity at this point. But if you think the media needs to be unbiased then you need to be unbiased as well.
What president has not lied to the American public?
caryking
statefan91 said:

Did you watch the video or listen to the recordings?

Look, I'm fine if he wants to "downplay" it so as to not create a panic.

But then you should on the backend be doing everything in your ability to bolster testing supplies, PPE, push legislators to provide relief, etc. Having no coordinated national approach to fighting it when the admin knew how contagious it was is a dereliction of duty.

Instead of filling up sandbags and prepping your house before the floodwaters arrive, we did nothing and let the flood hit us full strength.
How do any of us know whether everything was being done, that could be done? I think it's easy to be an Monday Morning QB and say this or that.

I really don't know whether the government was completely effective or not. I will ask the following: when has the government mobilized and was ready for anything as "So-Called" large as this?

It's my opinion that we put too much faith in the government to solve our problems. It has become the evil we asked it to be...

Oh, however effective the government was, I am confident that no other president would have made it any better. The rhetoric being spewed by Biden is just nonsense.
caryking
Civilized said:

SupplyChainPack said:

We have to start with one's World View. It appears your world view starts with the system is bad and it has to be fixed. I start with the system is good and perhaps we have a few bad apples.

If you really look at systems, businesses, government, etc.. and say that they are inherently good and certain people are not, then you will get farther with people that have different world view.

I can't even step into your world view as I think it has so many flaws. Things, incidents, institutions are not bad, people are.
Civilized
caryking said:

We have to start with one's World View. It appears your world view starts with the system is bad and it has to be fixed. I start with the system is good and perhaps we have a few bad apples.

If you really look at systems, businesses, government, etc.. and say that they are inherently good and certain people are not, then you will get farther with people that have different world view.

I can't even step into your world view as I think it has so many flaws. Things, incidents, institutions are not bad, people are.

No my world view starts with looking at data on per-capita outcomes at the macro level across the country over decades and seeing where that leads me.

Black Americans have worse outcomes in stops, arrests, police violence, charging, conviction rate, sentencing, probation hearings. Every single one. I'm not talking about "more stops" or "more murders." Historical data accounts for increased rates of criminality by Black Americans and controls for evidence to compare like-kind cases and circumstances (comparing drug arrests for marijuana, comparing case outcomes with similar evidence, etc.)

These outcomes impact hundreds of thousands of black Americans every year.

That's not "a few bad apples." That's a system that is tilted.

There are actually relatively few bad apples; the problem is in criminal justice training, procedures, and systems, and in for-profit prisons that incentivize incarceration of Americans, not in individual bad actors.

There is so much improvement that can take place to reduce implicit bias in criminal justice.

"Bad apples" is a red herring.
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

caryking said:

No my world view starts with looking at data on per-capita outcomes at the macro level across the country over decades and seeing where that leads me.

Black Americans have worse outcomes in stops, arrests, police violence, charging, conviction rate, sentencing, probation hearings. Every single one. I'm not talking about "more stops" or "more murders." Historical data accounts for increased rates of criminality by Black Americans and controls for evidence to compare like-kind cases and circumstances (comparing drug arrests for marijuana, comparing case outcomes with similar evidence, etc.)

These outcomes impact hundreds of thousands of black Americans every year.

There are reasons for this, as I've said before. Economic status is a big one. Whites tend to be better off financially, and can hire a better lawyer. Better lawyer generally = Better outcome/lower sentence.

It's really that simple, IMO.

And the disparity isn't as big as some studies show.
This one is pretty comprehensive, and says this:
https://repository.law.umich.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2413&context=articles

"Using quantile regressions, we estimate the size of racial disparity across the conditional sentencing distribution. We find that the majority of the disparity between black and white sentences can be explained by differences in legally permitted characteristics, in particular, the arrest offense and the defendant's criminal history. Black arrestees are also disproportionately concentrated in federal districts that have higher sentences in general."
"Yet even after we control for these and other prior characteristics, an unexplained black-white sentence disparity of approximately 9 percent remains in our main sample."

Just like with everything else, you have to look at ALL the factors before you can say there's a huge difference.

Another older study said this:
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/145328NCJRS.pdf

"On average, black offenders sentenced to prison during this period had imposed sentences that were 41 % longer than for whites (21 months longer). For incarcerated Hispanics, the average imposed sentence did not differ significantly from the average sentence for whites. "

"The main reason that blacks' sentences were longer than whites' during the period from January 1989 to June 1990 was that 83 % of all Federal offenders convicted of trafficking in crack cocaine in guideline cases were black, and the average sentence imposed for crack trafficking was twice as long as for trafficking in powdered cocaine. Excluding offenders convicted of trafficking in crack cocaine, the remaining difference in length of incarceration sentences imposed on blacks and whites was 13 months."

"White, black, and Hispanic offenders convicted of trafficking in crack cocaine differed in a number of ways, including the amount of drug sold, the seriousness of the offenders' prior criminal records, whether or not weapons were involved (and whether there were secondary offenses of conviction for firearms offenses), whether offenders pleaded guilty rather than went to trial, and whether charges were reduced in exchange for a guilty plea. Within the category of crack trafficking our statistical analyses estimated that these differences accounted for all of the observed variation in imprisonment sentences. "

Again, look at ALL the data. ALL the circumstances.

Then there's this part:
"Some characteristics of offenses or offenders that are correlated with race or ethnicity strongly influence sentences under current Federal law and sentencing guidelines. Modifications of specific laws ?.nd/or guidelines would essentially eliminate the racial/ethnic diffl:rences, as detailed below"

I'd be all for this part.

It's not as simply as just looking at the charges on the docket vs the outcome. Drug trafficking isn't the same across the board. Neither is any other case.

Blacks tend to actually fare better in simple cases, like traffic violations:
http://www.cjcj.org/uploads/cjcj/documents/Race-based_decisions.pdf

"Using municipal court data, analyses showed that police officers were more likely to cite African Americans than other races for failing to produce a driver's license or proof of automobile insurance but were less likely to ticket African Americans for committing a moving violation. Police officers were equally as likely to ticket White and African American drivers for equipment violations, which can be used as a pretext for more intrusive police practices. Logistic regression analyses showed that African Americans were more likely than other racial groups to have their traffic tickets dismissed in court for a lack of evidence or probable cause."

Now, I know there's a little bit of difference in the judicial system for blacks.....but the point is, there is NOWHERE NEAR the disparity that you and others claim. The little bit there is can mostly be explained by economics. Again, "better lawyer=better outcome".

If there's a little bit of unexplained disparity after you account for whites having better representation on average, then we certainly could work on that.

HOWEVER.....none of this accounts for, explains or forgives the fact that blacks simply commit more crime than anyone else does (per capita) in the first place. They get "in front of" the legal system (cops/DA's/magistrates/prisons) far more often than anyone else. So if the system kind of "adjusted" to that fact and maybe DOES have a little bias....that's not ideal at all. Not the way it's supposed to work. But....it's very understandable how it got that way.

And it wasn't that the system was always like that. It wasn't. It evolved that way.
As the second link I posted from also says:

"During 1986-1988, before full implementation of sentencing guidelines, white, black and Hispanic offenders received similar sentences, on average, in Federal district courts."

Wasn't always like that. So some work on the sentencing guidelines, as indicated in that older study certainly might help.

HOWEVER.....that same study also shows that sentences prior to about 1990 used to be roughly the same, regardless of race. But black people even back then say the law was against them and they were picked on.
They'll tell you today that it's always been like this.

But it hasn't.
Pacfanweb
^All that in consideration, you cannot look at today's world the black people face without
taking into account the rest of their issues.

As I've said before: They don't value education. The black family has been destroyed for the most part.

Therefore, their outcomes as adults are worse on average, and they turn to crime much more often on average.

Treating the legal system, while it definitely needs to be done and I have never argued against it, is only treating a symptom.

To cure it, you need to treat the "disease" itself. And that is a long-term fix. Blacks didn't get to the point to where 73% of them were born out of wedlock. Where you have so many unwed mothers with multiple babies by multiple sperm donors.
Where the sperm donors were just that, and not FATHERS.
Where black kids that wanted to learn so they studied hard and did well in school were called all sorts of racial names because they were "acting white".
And on and on and on.

You can change the legal system all you want. It won't change the crime rate one bit until education is NOT a stigma among blacks, and they stop having almost 3/4 of their babies out of wedlock.

The whole "we have to fix the legal system first" is BS. We need to be doing it all at the same time.

But remember: Blacks are the ones who are blaming this all on "the system"...which is really code for "white people".
They want white people to make all these changes.....but they don't want to talk about THEM doing the same, and it's THEM that can really make a difference because it's THEM that are primarily responsible for their lot in life these days.

Think about it: If "the system" really was tilted against them...if they knew that they would get worse sentences than anyone else.....wouldn't a reasonable reaction to that be to....oh, I don't know...maybe NOT commit the crimes? Much less commit them more often.

I know that when I go down certain roads where cops tend to sit and clock people, I watch my speed more closely. I sure as hell don't say "F-it, I'm running 20mph over down this road".

Black people do exactly that. And then they complain, LOUDLY, that the system is racist, and they NEVER acknowledge that they might just be even a little bit responsible for what happens to them.

Then they want white people to make all the changes, while they sit back and keep on having 73% of them born out of wedlock, keep committing over 50% of all murders while only being 13% of the population, and committing most of all crime in general per capita.....but we as white people, oh hell no: We can't say a thing about that. That's racist to point that out.

It's a hell of a racket, the racial business.

What's really funny about the whole thing: The current plight of black in America was created over the last few decades by Democrats. Great Society. Welfare. Democrat constructs. They've torn the black family and community apart.
And they've been brainwashing them for so long that they grow up hearing "you have no chance, the white man will keep you down, only the Democrats can help".
Yet for most of the last 50 years, Democrats have overwhelmingly been in charge of both the federal and state governments.

caryking
People, like civilized, only care about the truth, not the facts. Sounds like what Biden said...

I study data every day in my position. Believe me, I can control the narrative anyway I want, based on how I present the data. I always like to look at the cause, not the results. The results give you more questions, not answers... Always go the cause... The cause may be very uncomfortable to some.

Pacfanweb presents some compelling points that should be discussed.
cowboypack02
caryking said:

People, like civilized, only care about the truth, not the facts. Sounds like what Biden said...

I study data every day in my position. Believe me, I can control the narrative anyway I want, based on how I present the data. I always like to look at the cause, not the results. The results give you more questions, not answers... Always go the cause... The cause may be very uncomfortable to some.

Pacfanweb presents some compelling points that should be discussed.
I wish that we could have that discussion.....but i've put out the same numbers several times and no one ever seems to want to discuss those
Civilized
You talk about it being Democrats/the Great Society's fault that the black family unit broke down.

What are historical impediments to black marriage in the black community? Employability and incarceration are two dominant factors.

Incarceration of American men, disproportionately but not limited to black men, skyrocketed in 1970:

De-industrialization, especially of cities, since the 1970's has led to 7.5 million manufacturing jobs being lost over that time period.

Maybe those two factors have also impacted black family stability and wealth creation?

Reading your post cold, you'd think there is nothing that we as a society can do to try to ensure equal opportunities and treatment in the job market and criminal justice.

There are many specific things we can, and should, do:

End mass incarceration. Don't de-fund police. De-fund the prison-industrial complex.
Improve juvenile justice interventions.
Pour resources into vocational and community college educations in cities.
Incentivize American manufacturing, especially in and near populations centers.
End or reduce the breadth of Qualified Immunity.
Legalize or decriminalize marijuana.
Require blind prosecution in state and federal courts.
Support representative racial representation on juries and parole boards.
Require and ramp up police de-escalation and implicit bias training nationwide.

I 100% support encouragement of the black family unit and a reduction of black criminality, I just think the way to go about it is to solve several key, highly solvable problems that will dramatically reduce the number of incarcerated black Americans and increase job skills and opportunities for all Americans.

To me, this sure as hell beats patting black Americans on the butt and saying "Why don't you just live better and everything will work out."
Civilized
Meant to 'reply' to you on my post above but fat-fingered it, sorry.
Pacfanweb
Civ, you know already that I agree with a lot of your proposed actions.

But I believe it's a little bit disingenuous on your part to say all I am doing is patting them on the back and saying do better.

I feel like I have said as clear as day several times, that people feel that black people are demanding that everyone else change BUT them.

They point the blame at everyone else. I see nowhere near the outrage at their lack of Education, family unit destruction, single mother rate, Etc.

And those things are the main issues that have gotten them to where they are today. If they want everyone else to change, they need to be coming to the table with some Solutions on their own, when anyone can see plain as day that THEY actually hold the power that they think is being held over them. I believe they need to be convinced of that.
Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

Civ, you know already that I agree with a lot of your proposed actions.

But I believe it's a little bit disingenuous on your part to say all I am doing is patting them on the back and saying do better.

I feel like I have said as clear as day several times, that people feel that black people are demanding that everyone else change BUT them.

They point the blame at everyone else. I see nowhere near the outrage at their lack of Education, family unit destruction, single mother rate, Etc.

And those things are the main issues that have gotten them to where they are today. If they want everyone else to change, they need to be coming to the table with some Solutions on their own, when anyone can see plain as day that THEY actually hold the power that they think is being held over them. I believe they need to be convinced of that.

I hear you I just don't understand the difference between me saying you're patting them on the back and saying to do it better, and you saying "they need to be coming to the table with solutions of their own." To me that sounds a lot like just telling them they need to figure it out.

Telling the black community to engineer their own way out of these massive societal problems, some of which they should own and many of which are not their cross to bear, at least exclusively, feels a lot like trying to fix a sputtering plane engine while it's flying and everyone on board is panicking that they're gonna die.

As a society, to me, a better way to do it is to land the damn plane and make repairs on the ground. It's a lot easier to fix the plane when there's not so much existential pressure while you're turning the wrench.

I'm proposing to do actionable things that take some of the economic pressure off of the black community via incarceration reduction, education, and job training/creation.

Let's land the plane, do what we can to make it run smoother, and then get it back in the air again.
caryking
Here are my thoughts on your thoughts:

End mass incarceration - do the crime, do the time. The First role of government is to protect Individual freedoms.

Don't de-fund police- agree

De-fund the prison-industrial complex - I don't know how you can say this as our funding need is based on prosecutions

Improve juvenile justice interventions - not the role of government. Step up to the plate and start a local non-profit for the purpose. Then, advocate for other communities to do the same.

Pour resources into vocational and community college educations in cities. - we have that now. What is the affect of it?

Incentivize American manufacturing, especially in and near populations centers. - no new tax incentives for business. That is the very nature of a loophole Democrats complain about with business. The Trump policy on China is a good start, now apply everywhere else we have an imbalance.

End or reduce the breadth of Qualified Immunity. - probably not a bad thing; however, some type of immunity is needed or no one works in the field.

Legalize or decriminalize marijuana - I'm mixed on this; however, if the penalty is huge for any type of manslaughter that will try to deter users in there home Environment from leaving the home.

Require blind prosecution in state and federal courts - isn't that what we have?

Support representative racial representation on juries and parole boards - a jury of your piers? Don't we have that now?

Require and ramp up police de-escalation and implicit bias training nationwide. - this one is a talking point and has NO meaningful reason to implement; especially as a federal mandate to local and state enforcement

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.