Stock Market and Investments Discussion

46,979 Views | 342 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by waynecountywolf
Steve Williams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
S&P now down over 10% from all time high.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stock-market-news-live-updates-february-27-2020-122658989.html
ncsupack1
Media is feeding the fears....
RunsWithWolves26
It will rebound. If it drops 400+ tomorrow, I'm buying
vanuel
It's all stupid crap. People are behaving hysterically over not much.
ncsupack1
vanuel said:

This.
cowboypack02
vanuel said:

That's the bad thing about a global economy. I made a killing in the market with Brexit. Sold out again at the end of last week and will be probably be looking to buy back in at the beginning of next week.
GoPack2008
Not so sure this is just hysteria.

The impact of China's manufacturing shutdown alone on the global supply chain is going to be massive and hasn't been fully felt yet. It's not at all clear whether this is a dip to buy or something that will take much longer to play out.

Anyone with a long position is, as always, likely to do fine. But I think you have a mix of anxiety, legit uncertainty, and very concrete real changes that are just now being priced into the market.
Colonel Armstrong
I'm dumping some money into the market and plan on holding for a year. Feels like this is a short term supply chain shock but no real long term effects.
RunsWithWolves26
King Leary said:

I'm dumping some money into the market and plan on holding for a year. Feels like this is a short term supply chain shock but no real long term effects.

Doing the same
IseWolf22
King Leary said:

Yep, I'm relatively young so I'm buying while the market is down
Colonel Armstrong
Yeah idk about losing "money" in the short term. Cool heads always prevail when the markets freak out
RunsWithWolves26
Rebounding a bit today
RunsWithWolves26
1300 up today. Good day for those of us who bought in at the end of the week
cowboypack02
RunsWithWolves26 said:

1300 up today. Good day for those of us who bought in at the end of the week
lol....bought in friday afternoon. I can't complain
cowboypack02
IseWolf22 said:

King Leary said:

I hope you ended up happy today brother!
RunsWithWolves26
cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

King Leary said:

Good day but hoping for 3 straight decent days. Stock market is a long term thing for me but can be good sometimes for a short-term profit
IseWolf22
cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

King Leary said:

I actually haven't made a move yet. I think it's going to get worse. Time will tell if I waited too long.
cowboypack02
RunsWithWolves26 said:

cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

King Leary said:

Good day but hoping for 3 straight decent days. Stock market is a long term thing for me but can be good sometimes for a short-term profit
I have a IRA through my company that I put money in every paycheck, but I also have a separate investment account through TDA that I use to invest my own money. Since I graduated State in 06 I have dumped 2-3 thousand a year in it to play around with. I haven't done too badly I suppose. I typically try to time the market and pick out stocks that I feel are going to be winners, instead of being afraid that I would lose my retirement if i went belly up.
ZAXPACK15
Slightly off topic but what platforms do y'all use? Currently have a 401K through my company but want to set up an IRA as well. I'm in my late twenties so ideally would use it for a few decades lol
3rd generation CALS grad
cowboypack02
ZAXPACK15 said:

Slightly off topic but what platforms do y'all use? Currently have a 401K through my company but want to set up an IRA as well. I'm in my late twenties so ideally would use it for a few decades lol
I have an IRA set up through my company (Fidelity) and I meet the 3% match that we do. I also do the same for my wife (Fidelity as well), although they match at 6% so she meets that. Outside of that I have a separate investment account (TDAmeritrade) that I use and we put away money in savings. Finally I have also purchased several parcels of land to hedge against a serious downturn in the economy and I lose everything.

Diversification of what you invest in it key.
cowboypack02
IseWolf22 said:

cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

King Leary said:

I actually haven't made a move yet. I think it's going to get worse. Time will tell if I waited too long.
Looks like today you were right my friend
IseWolf22
cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

King Leary said:

I put some money in today!
cowboypack02
IseWolf22 said:

cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

King Leary said:

I hope you hit it at closing bell instead of first thing this morning.
SportManagementEngineer
cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

King Leary said:

As another young guy, what sort of things are y'all investing in?
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
cowboypack02
SportManagementEngineer said:

cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

King Leary said:

As another young guy, what sort of things are y'all investing in?

Believe it or not I own a ton of stock in Lowe's. Sold about a week and a half ago when it was at 125 a share, then bought in again 110 the other day. It closed around 113.75 this afternoon. I originally bought in last October when it was around 105 a share. Didn't turn out too bad for me. I also own a bunch in Canopy Growth Corp that turned out ok for me but I took a bath on Aurora Cannabis. Bought at 4 dollars a share, it went up to 10 a share, and now it is down to a little over a dollar. Should of sold it well before I did. Bought Halliburton at about 20 and it went up to 25 before I sold.

For you personally depending on how much you want to invest to start with I would recommend trying something like Stash. They invest in mutual funds that you pick out but they try to break it down using names like "Defending Freedom" for a fund that has alot of defense contractors in it. I think it makes trying to dip your toes into trading in your own a little bit easier without the heavier fees or the tons of research that you would have to make in order to make knowledgeable picks. The other thing like an app like that does is let you buy partial shares. Normally if you go out and buy a stock you have to buy the entire stock. For instance if you wanted to buy a stock that cost 150.00, your have to come up with the 150 plus fees, with something like stash I think you can invest in 5 dollar increments. I've played with it some but there is a cap on how much you can invest without getting into their heavier fees. If you have more than 5K ( I think) you can put your money I'm Betterment, which is a pretty cool deal too, but I don't have a ton of experience with it.

Something to keep in mind while your investing it to be mindful of the world around you. Big global events are going to move the market much more than they used to. The market dropped 1000 points because of Brexit, but shot back up once everything sorted itself out. You start hearing alot of talk about war start to look at stocks for defense contractors, new virus floating around look at pharmaceutical stocks. Market did the same thing when Trump got elected and shot up today after Biden cleaned up yesterday. The interest rate being cut by a half precent yesterday actually drove the market down.

Just make sure at the end of the day there are hundreds of different thoughts on investing. Some are successful and some aren't, but at the end of the day it's a bet. You can try to help your chances by investing in things like mutual funds or being extremely conservative but no one knows for sure. It's a gamble so I recommend anyone who wants to get into investing for themselves to start with not invest anything they aren't willing to lose.

Good Luck!
SportManagementEngineer
Thanks for the insight. I have my retirement at work but I let fidelity handle all of that. Downloaded Robinhood a while back as a buddy told me to invest in Bank of America and that's been great, but didn't know how to take advantage of the current landscape.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
RunsWithWolves26
I think the stockmarket, investment talk, etc would be a great thread. Not saying anything bad about it being here but I believe it would be beneficial as its own thread. Maybe one where you share your thoughts, ideas, investments, hot stocks, speculation, etc. I feel like this thread may get pushed to the bottom in a week or so but that one may actually stay around.

Regardless, lots of good info here to read through and research. Keep up the good work gents.
cowboypack02
Can we just change the title of the thread and keep going here?
IseWolf22
I'm very conservative in my investments and am almost entirely in mutual funds with barely any in individual stocks.
That said, energy and manufacturing were getting hit hardest by Carona virus panic. Therefore it's a good time to buy stocks or funds in those areas if you plan to hold for a long time
RunsWithWolves26
cowboypack02 said:

Sure, but you will have to petition Steve for the title change
cowboypack02
RunsWithWolves26 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Sure, but you will have to petition Steve for the title change

STEVE!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve Williams
Staff
Stock market futures down a thousand. Oil down to 36 per barrel.
cowboypack02
Steve Williams said:

Stock market futures down a thousand. Oil down to 36 per barrel.

That's gonna be ugly.
WolfpackCPA
Dow futures down 5% in pre market trading, I expect to see the market continue to go down as this virus hits the US.

People should be ready to buy in May or so and their will be lots of bargains.
statefan91

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.