Stock Market and Investments Discussion

47,162 Views | 342 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by waynecountywolf
ncsualum05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So coinbase is offering chances to earn rewards and crypto through education. I see some videos but it wants to verify my ID first. Should I do it? Is it safe? I'm a little skiddish. What say you experts.
jadawson
Coinbase is a legit company that is listed on NYSE. Here's some more info on them

https://www.nerdwallet.com/reviews/investing/brokers/coinbase
Wlfpackamk
ncsualum05 said:

So coinbase is offering chances to earn rewards and crypto through education. I see some videos but it wants to verify my ID first. Should I do it? Is it safe? I'm a little skiddish. What say you experts.
Absolutely safe. You will get about $30 worth of different coins. I just consolidated them all into one I wanted.
ncsualum05
Thanks guys.
cowboypack02
I'm in Coinbase for what its worth to you
ncsualum05
Question.... offer to stake eth on coin base with current 6% apy. For the 2.0 network. Worth it? I plan to hold onto the asset. Also if I buy more will that be taken into account? There's a waitlist so not sure if I should try it.
Oldsouljer
ncsualum05 said:

Question.... offer to stake eth on coin base with current 6% apy. For the 2.0 network. Worth it? I plan to hold onto the asset. Also if I buy more will that be taken into account? There's a waitlist so not sure if I should try it.
Personally, I wouldn't touch sh#&coin and all its digital variations for multiple reasons and this past week has certainly burned a lot of the FOMO crowd. But then again, I'm an investor not a speculator, though the definition between the two is open to question. That said, commodities (and the digital "currencies" are not that) are where the best $$ is likely to be made going forward, especially agricultural investments, because I suspect that food inflation will persist even if inflation elsewhere flips over into severe deflation.
Wlfpackamk
I'd you're new to crypto it's been a rough 2 weeks. If you believe that it's an alternative currency this is the best buy time there has been in several months. Lots of models say buy now or regret later.
Mormad
First trust teaming with skybridge to launch a UIT this week with 18-20 publicly traded companies in the portfolio that 1. Are cryto custodians, 2. Are mining companies, or 3. Have a majority of their assets in crypto. Maybe not the upside of single currencies, but likely shielded somewhat from volatility. No minimum, low costs, 15 month trust. May be a way to ease into the crypto space.
ncsualum05
Wlfpackamk said:

I'd you're new to crypto it's been a rough 2 weeks. If you believe that it's an alternative currency this is the best buy time there has been in several months. Lots of models say buy now or regret later.
I got in less than 2 weeks ago. Obviously my initial buy in was not good b/c everything tanked since. I wasn't at the top though. But I've been studying up on this and looking at a lot of things and although I'm new and learning I feel very confident about this. Buying dips has been great but I haven't been able to really put some big money in yet. Just little bits. That might change in the next week though.
Oldsouljer
As western governments continue to look at Huawei with a wary eye (and rightly so,IMO), someone else is going to have to be the 5G driver on this side of the globe. I just placed a bet on dirt-cheap Nokia and it looks poised to surge.

Tech plays aside, I think anyone would do well to quickly throw up some defensive hedges against inflation.
PackBacker07
I bought a ton of Dogecoin and AMC months ago, and sold a lot of AMC yesterday at peak. I'm in on these new wave investment "strategies."
Y'all means ALL.
WolfQuacker
Oldsouljer said:

As western governments continue to look at Huawei with a wary eye (and rightly so,IMO), someone else is going to have to be the 5G driver on this side of the globe. I just placed a bet on dirt-cheap Nokia and it looks poised to surge.

Tech plays aside, I think anyone would do well to quickly throw up some defensive hedges against inflation.
CSCO will benefit, I hope
Oldsouljer
I hear you. I'm sure they will, I should picked them up six months ago when they would have been more of a value play.
IseWolf22
PackBacker07 said:

I bought a ton of Dogecoin and AMC months ago, and sold a lot of AMC yesterday at peak. I'm in on these new wave investment "strategies."
Do you still have the Doge?

I just bought some today. I feel a little ridiculous about it.
PackBacker07
Yeah, I still have it. I think it'll shoot up at some point this year. The Coinbase addition was huge, and I saw some chatter on twitter today that Square may get into the crypto game, which would be another huge plus. At such a small dollar amount per coin, I think it's worth holding on to for a while.
Y'all means ALL.
IseWolf22
PackBacker07 said:

Yeah, I still have it. I think it'll shoot up at some point this year. The Coinbase addition was huge, and I saw some chatter on twitter today that Square may get into the crypto game, which would be another huge plus. At such a small dollar amount per coin, I think it's worth holding on to for a while.
Yeah I got in through coinbase. Only a small position though because it's a complete meme and could crash at any time.
ZAXPACK15
Bumping this to the top. Volatile week so far huh?

All my winners I bought last April seem to be starting to fade. Anyone going a certain direction right now?
3rd generation CALS grad
FlossyDFlynt
Finished up my retirement stuff for the year a couple of weeks ago. Had one index I bought a while back, but thats about it for me. Anything else for this year that would go into the market is probably going to go the crypto route. A combination of the market being over valued (IMO) and the current policies coming out of Washington makes crypto a bit more appealing to me
PoleD
Recently have come into about 300k. 120k of it will go for kid's college. Need to be able to withdraw 30k a year for that. The rest I would like to keep liquid as we will be looking for a house.

Where is a good place to keep this money with little risk and higher interest than I would get at a traditional bank?
Oldsouljer
PoleD said:

Recently have come into about 300k. 120k of it will go for kid's college. Need to be able to withdraw 30k a year for that. The rest I would like to keep liquid as we will be looking for a house.

Where is a good place to keep this money with little risk and higher interest than I would get at a traditional bank?
No answers? Maybe because there is none, at least to us plebeians. Anyway, next-to-no-interest return or not, I've seen enough, I'm mostly in cash for the moment as I believe the smart money is, while the bagholders hold onto hope and wishful thinking. The small cap indices haven't gained across this year since February and look like they're at the edge of a precipice right now. Large caps don't look much better but that's typical at the end of a bull market. Maybe the Fed will save the day yet, but I wouldn't bet my nest egg on it. They run in the same circles with the same geniuses who claim they couldn't see Afghanistan falling in just eleven days.
cowboypack02
Oldsouljer said:

PoleD said:

No answers? Maybe because there is none, at least to us plebeians. Anyway, next-to-no-interest return or not, I've seen enough, I'm mostly in cash for the moment as I believe the smart money is, while the bagholders hold onto hope and wishful thinking. The small cap indices haven't gained across this year since February and look like they're at the edge of a precipice right now. Large caps don't look much better but that's typical at the end of a bull market. Maybe the Fed will save the day yet, but I wouldn't bet my nest egg on it. They run in the same circles with the same geniuses who claim they couldn't see Afghanistan falling in just eleven days.
My best advice to you is to go and see a fee based RIA. They will be able to best help you manage your money. If you are in the Raleigh area I would recommend Capital Investment Company or Beacon Financial. Both are really good and know their stuff. Both used to also be clients as well.

While we may speculate here don't listen to us for extremely sound financial advice because none of us are advisors. I've commented several times above and I tend to be extremely aggressive with my investing, but honestly its not my nest egg, and while would be extremely pissed if i lost it all, it doesn't hurt me long term.

Mormad
PoleD said:

I went to my bank and my advisor asking this very question, and there were few options and no good answers imho.
Wlfpackamk
I'm also investing in crypto in my IRA via GBTC, Hut8 mining, and Marathon digital. A nice way to invest in crypto tax free.
ncsualum05
PoleD said:

Sorry I just saw this. The traditional finance system is a failure which is why crypto is a great option right now. Lord you're lucky what I wouldn't give for 180 k right now to figure out where to park it.

If you don't care for volatile assets but you want to generate yield on your dollars you can convert them into stablecoins. Celsius is a centralized lending platform which pays 8.88% APY on most stablecoins. Stablecoins are cryptos that are pegged to the dollar. It's like having a savings account but with a little more risk. USDC is one of the best stablecoins out there and has been through a full audit. Think about how good that yield is.

Now if you want to go deeper into the rabbit hole you can find ways to convert money into UST which is the Terra stablecoin. There is a blockchain known as Terra which as a Luna token as well as their UST stablecoin. The anchor protocol app which runs on Terra pays 19.5% APY on the UST. Pegged to the dollar so not volatile.

If you're interested I can try to find you some links to help. It's not easy and takes some research but the more you learn about crypto the more financial freedom you can gain.
Oldsouljer
Another somewhat speculative place to park money is the Agricultural sector. I'm concerned that something more than just inflation is going to make food hard to come by. China is facing dual and intertwined energy and food security challenges due to their floods and coal shortages, compelling them to import even more from the West. With summer long bad weather and fires in the western U.S., devastating droughts in Brazil, persisting swine fever issues in China and Russia, and Covid-impacted output issues everywhere else, I'm seeing a scary but profitable investing opportunity right around the corner. Chart patterns of certain Agri ETFs look poised for blastoff.
SexualChocolate
Dabbling in a few NFT's. Very interesting.
waynecountywolf
Bump
I am just here for the conspiracy theories

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.