Coronavirus

2,028,621 Views | 19873 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
BBW12OG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wait until Lambda Variant comes out next July.....

It's going to kill us all unless we mail our ballots in. But... lucky for us... it won't matter. They've already been filled in for us!

Never underestimate the blatant and pure stupidity of the lefties.... more than a few examples on here to prove my point.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
packgrad
metcalfmafia said:

packgrad said:

Mecklenburg Co exemptions. Looks like protests are still exempt. Maybe for those that exercise, you just need to make a protest shirt of some sort to work out in.

Pure political theater.
"Mandate"
Wayland
packgrad said:

metcalfmafia said:

packgrad said:

Mecklenburg Co exemptions. Looks like protests are still exempt. Maybe for those that exercise, you just need to make a protest shirt of some sort to work out in.

Pure political theater.
"Mandate"
Holy crap... this Cooper presser... reporter after reporter BEGGING and PLEADING for more mandates.

*** is wrong with these people.
packgrad
Wayland said:

packgrad said:

metcalfmafia said:

packgrad said:

Pure political theater.
"Mandate"
Holy crap... this Cooper presser... reporter after reporter BEGGING and PLEADING for more mandates.

I know. I thankfully ended up having to cut it off as someone came in my office. Ridiculous.
GuerrillaPack
Wayland said:

packgrad said:

metcalfmafia said:

packgrad said:

Pure political theater.
"Mandate"

Minions of the Marxist machine. They are fully on board with the authoritarian agenda.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Packchem91
Wayland said:

packgrad said:

metcalfmafia said:

packgrad said:

Pure political theater.
"Mandate"

Can you provide some context? Reporters are asking for mandates to be implemented?
Mormad
Wayland said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Starting September 20th, booster shots are available for anyone fully vaccinated and at least 8 months removed from being fully vaccinated.
Hopefully, they release the data that shows a need. I have not seen any evidence for it yet, especially why T-Cells are not working beyond 8 months. Did they address J&J? All I had seen to date was with regards to the two mRNA vaccines. I got J&J, so I am not a candidate for the other two vaccines.
They are in a full on panic to try and appear to do something that 'may' work. Because if/when this next winter wave rolls over on the country hard.... going to some explaining.
Apparently this is a 4 pt slide from a Fauci briefing today. (not for sure so don't sue me)

It is all guesswork.... and "MAY" ... desperation not trials and science.

Not one mention of T-Cells and studies. This is some really good "science."

To be fair, it's not like fauci, for all his hate, doesn't know the science of viral disease better then us, or that there's anything on that slide that is indeed not a simple support for boosters. I discussed this very topic with multiple docs at lunch today. I was the one guy who is hesitant to get a booster, and i explained my reasoning.

The slide does state the ideas that support getting a booster. That doesn't mean that it should state or be felt to state that boosters should be mandatory or even needed for the majority. It even leaves out at least 2 very good reasons to consider a booster that we discussed today.

All that said, i remain hesitant to get a booster despite my peers' strong feelings to the contrary. If we depended on or waited on pure science for many accepted best practices in medicine we would be in trouble. Most of the time we use an understanding of "science" and a knowledge of its inherent weaknesses and we depend on experience, training, and knowledge to guide us to treat patients the best we can.

But, yes, memory B cells and T cells are the reason I'm willing to bet on my vaccination, despite my likely falling IgG levels. But there's no denying that a booster 8 months later would greatly increase younger antibodies, and that a delayed booster, as we've found with multiple other vaccinations, boosts immunity. The question remains, is it needed in the majority? If any know the answer to that for this particular pandemic that is known for making us look stupid, you're a lot smarter than me. But right now I'm hedging until we know more. And that knowledge is building at an exponential rate it seems.

I don't care what he knows or thinks he knows.

It is backwards that the politicians are making the policy on boosters... setting the date... and then saying

"Oh... but we will check with the FDA and CDC and stuff first... but, we have already decided on Sept 20."

That isn't sound practice and trialed science..... that is desperation, hope, and guessing. We have had plenty of opportunity for trialed science....

Not that I would expect booster science... since we can't have science done on anything else.

There is a difference between politics and medicine. I think I've made that clear, and the things i say here are simply not part of a political argument. I do my best to stick to what i see as the medicine of this stuff, and offer insight from my purview. I feel like everybody wants to brace up against everything i say about this sht. Maybe I'll just stick to football. It's more fun anyway lol.
Daviewolf83
Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Starting September 20th, booster shots are available for anyone fully vaccinated and at least 8 months removed from being fully vaccinated.
Hopefully, they release the data that shows a need. I have not seen any evidence for it yet, especially why T-Cells are not working beyond 8 months. Did they address J&J? All I had seen to date was with regards to the two mRNA vaccines. I got J&J, so I am not a candidate for the other two vaccines.
They are in a full on panic to try and appear to do something that 'may' work. Because if/when this next winter wave rolls over on the country hard.... going to some explaining.
Apparently this is a 4 pt slide from a Fauci briefing today. (not for sure so don't sue me)

To be fair, it's not like fauci, for all his hate, doesn't know the science of viral disease better then us, or that there's anything on that slide that is indeed not a simple support for boosters. I discussed this very topic with multiple docs at lunch today. I was the one guy who is hesitant to get a booster, and i explained my reasoning.

The slide does state the ideas that support getting a booster. That doesn't mean that it should state or be felt to state that boosters should be mandatory or even needed for the majority. It even leaves out at least 2 very good reasons to consider a booster that we discussed today.

All that said, i remain hesitant to get a booster despite my peers' strong feelings to the contrary. If we depended on or waited on pure science for many accepted best practices in medicine we would be in trouble. Most of the time we use an understanding of "science" and a knowledge of its inherent weaknesses and we depend on experience, training, and knowledge to guide us to treat patients the best we can.

But, yes, memory B cells and T cells are the reason I'm willing to bet on my vaccination, despite my likely falling IgG levels. But there's no denying that a booster 8 months later would greatly increase younger antibodies, and that a delayed booster, as we've found with multiple other vaccinations, boosts immunity. The question remains, is it needed in the majority? If any know the answer to that for this particular pandemic that is known for making us look stupid, you're a lot smarter than me. But right now I'm hedging until we know more. And that knowledge is building at an exponential rate it seems.
Thanks for the feedback. I am planning to wait on more studies and evidence of benefit before I get a booster. I can't wait until they make the booster mandatory. I am trusting the T-cells and memory B-cells right now, until I see more evidence that a booster is needed. I have no issues with a yearly booster, but I think they are really doing this to appear to be doing something. As to The Elf, I have rarely seen him discuss T and B cells in updates in the media and to congress. Maybe he thinks it is too complicated for most people to grasp. I did tell my father yesterday that he might want to consider a booster, since he is 87 and has some significant health issues. I have no known health issues and have worked from home since March '20. My exposure risk is much lower than a lot of people, so I have no problem waiting on the science to catch up.

I have seen a few tweets in the past few days (I mentioned them last week) that might support a booster. These tweets put forth a theory to explain why the US and Israel may have experienced more adverse effects from the Delta variant, than the UK and Canada. The theory is those countries benefit by spacing out the vaccine doses by 12 weeks, instead of 3-4 weeks and this actually provided for more robust antibody protection.
Packchem91
Mormad said:

Wayland said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

It is backwards that the politicians are making the policy on boosters... setting the date... and then saying

"Oh... but we will check with the FDA and CDC and stuff first... but, we have already decided on Sept 20."

That isn't sound practice and trialed science..... that is desperation, hope, and guessing. We have had plenty of opportunity for trialed science....

Not that I would expect booster science... since we can't have science done on anything else.

There is a difference between politics and medicine. I think I've made that clear, and the things i say here are simply not part of a political argument. I do my best to stick to what i see as the medicine of this stuff, and offer insight from my purview. I feel like everybody wants to brace up against everything i say about this sht. Maybe I'll just stick to football. It's more fun anyway lol.
Haaa...yeah, it surely seems anger has driven people to even argue with you about your own direct experiences now. I appreciate your perspective -- you give one that only 1-2 other people on the board can and there is a lot of value in that

and can't wait for daily discussions about our FB results instead!
Mormad
Daviewolf83 said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I am planning to wait on more studies and evidence of benefit before I get a booster. I can't wait until they make the booster mandatory. I am trusting the T-cells and memory B-cells right now, until I see more evidence that a booster is needed. I have no issues with a yearly booster, but I think they are really doing this to appear to be doing something. As to The Elf, I have rarely seen him discuss T and B cells in updates in the media and to congress. Maybe he thinks it is too complicated for most people to grasp. I did tell my father yesterday that he might want to consider a booster, since he is 87 and has some significant health issues.

I have seen a few tweets in the past few days (I mentioned them last week) that might support a booster. These tweets put forth a theory to explain why the US and Israel may have experienced more adverse effects from the Delta variant, than the UK and Canada. The theory is those countries benefit by spacing out the vaccine doses by 12 weeks, instead of 3-4 weeks and this actually provided for more robust antibody protection.

I'm with you. I do believe the main reason i personally would consider a booster is the knowledge that waiting months between exposures (jabs) revs up the immune system to offer even better immunity. This is well known, well before cv-19. However, that's also the reason i hesitate. For those same reasons im more nervous about autoimmune issues, side effects, complications and the like.

We discussed 2 things today i thought you'd find interesting:

1. Viral dominance. With the return of rsv, flu, colds, hand-foot-mouth, etc, what are your thoughts about cv-19 (as it replicates into dumber, less virulent forms) being dominated by the normal players and burning out into a much weaker endemic player? I couldn't believe the other guys hadn't really considered the possibility.

2. One critical care doc and one of my partners suggested that one advantage of a booster may be speed of the immune response in the case of exposure, thereby reducing initial viral load/shedding and reducing risk of transmission. It takes some valuable time in that regard for our memory B cells and T cells to mount a response. We won't get as sick either way, but a booster could reduce the risk of transmission even more? What do you think? I thought you would have really enjoyed that discussion today. Right up your alley.
packgrad
Packchem91 said:

Wayland said:

packgrad said:

metcalfmafia said:

packgrad said:

Pure political theater.
"Mandate"

Can you provide some context? Reporters are asking for mandates to be implemented?
Essentially "if you are saying everyone needs to wear masks, why aren't you mandating it?" over and over and over and over.....
GuerrillaPack
packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

Wayland said:

packgrad said:

metcalfmafia said:

packgrad said:

Pure political theater.
"Mandate"

Essentially "if you are saying everyone needs to wear masks, why aren't you mandating it?" over and over and over and over.....
Wish our state legislature would strip Czar Cooper of those "emergency" powers, similar to what the Michigan state legislature did with their governor. No one person should have the power to do what these governors are doing.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
packgrad
GuerrillaPack said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

Wayland said:

packgrad said:

metcalfmafia said:

packgrad said:

Pure political theater.
"Mandate"

Wish our state legislature would strip Czar Cooper of those "emergency" powers, similar to what the Michigan state legislature did with their governor. No one person should have the power to do what these governors are doing.
A question was asked about bills removing his emergency power and he said he would not consider any at this time.
BBW12OG
GuerrillaPack said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

Wayland said:

packgrad said:

metcalfmafia said:

packgrad said:

Pure political theater.
"Mandate"

I'm currently sitting in Novi, Michigan for work. Been here since Monday. This state has done a complete 180 since April. Witchmer has been dethroned.

Agree. The Michigan Legislature took her powers, along with over 500k signatures, and she's been chilling on a boat, a bar or just hanging with her friends.

She's done.

And.. I'm watching this **** show of the the PC from Sleepy Joe... damn... does his PR team not know how to read a damn room? He's basically calling for Marshall Law..... He's lost his place several times. He's making this a political stump speech.

He's lost his "line" reading a few times... the booster shots are nothing but a ploy for the 2022 midterms... Damn Sleepy Joe... get your puddin' and get the **** off the stage. You are done.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
Wayland
Mormad said:

Wayland said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Funny though, that it is politics, not science, that is driving medicine.

I appreciate your insight, but I don't have a 'political' dog in the fight and I want this to be a purely politically hands off discussion.
statefan91
packgrad
The president and the governor both today encouraging businesses to require their customers be vaccinated.
caryking
packgrad said:

The president and the governor both today encouraging businesses to require their customers be vaccinated.

"F" the President and the Governor!!!
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Mormad
caryking said:

packgrad said:

"F" the President and the Governor!!!

Hell, i thought that well before this

Packchem91
packgrad said:

Are either going to send in troops to help the business owners enforce this? Such an unfair ask to push this off on business owners, who only have about 1000 other things to worry about daily
(not the least of which, for many small businesses, is dealing with staffing loss and higher costs because they are competing against the POTUS and Governor's benefits package to those people choosing to take them rather than work)
Packchem91
packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

Wayland said:

packgrad said:

metcalfmafia said:

packgrad said:

Pure political theater.
"Mandate"

So that seems like a fair, and expected question once. But I'm guessing our incompetent media group are incapable of adjusting on the fly and asking different questions than ones already asked and answered.
Or perhaps, to Way's concerns....they are asking because they actually do wish it to be implemented.
Wayland
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

Wayland said:

packgrad said:

metcalfmafia said:

packgrad said:

Pure political theater.
"Mandate"

So that seems like a fair, and expected question once. But I'm guessing our incompetent media group are incapable of adjusting on the fly and asking different questions than ones already asked and answered.
Or perhaps, to Way's concerns....they are asking because they actually do wish it to be implemented.
I don't think mandates are necessary... AT ALL.

That being said, Cooper thinks they should be handled at the local level since they will be more well received (and they are working behind the scenes to get local gov'ts to impose mandates). That is his position... he has clearly stated it... and while I again disagree, it was asked and answered.

It was a waste of everyone's time for 4-5 more reporters to ask the exact same question begging for mandates at a state level. How these people every made it off their high school papers and into 'real' journalism is mind-boggling.

A bunch of mouthbreathers begging for a nanny state. I'd be amazed if there was a single one capable of critical thought.
Civilized
Mormad said:

I know less than nothing about boosters. Haven't read about them much or even thought about them much, so this question is definitely not loaded.

What drives your hesitancy to get a booster?

Simply that it's not clear they improve outcomes for patients of your profile and you don't want one unless the benefit is relatively clear, or that you've identified risks that outweigh the benefits for you?

caryking
Civilized said:

Mormad said:

I know less than nothing about boosters. Haven't read about them much or even thought about them much, so this question is definitely not loaded.

Simply that it's not clear they improve outcomes for patients of your profile and you don't want one unless the benefit is relatively clear, or that you've identified risks that outweigh the benefits for you?

At some point, we all need to get some level of hesitancy with all this BS!! Early last year, when this whole COVID thing started, I was hesitant... hesitant to allow for it to take control of my life!!

Let's live everybody!!!!!
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
PackFansXL
Civilized said:

Mormad said:

Civ, Mormad answered your question in another post. See below.
Quote:

I do believe the main reason I personally would consider a booster is the knowledge that waiting months between exposures (jabs) revs up the immune system to offer even better immunity. This is well known, well before cv-19. However, that's also the reason I hesitate. For those same reasons I'm more nervous about autoimmune issues, side effects, complications and the like.
PackFansXL
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

first amendment activities? lol.

I should probably go read Bruno's tweets...but what about the big question here....ballgames?
Here in Texas, football would easily fall in the category of "worship, religious, spiritual gatherings".
PackPA2015
Here are some interesting articles debating pros and cons of COVID booster shots. There are some known pros, some assumed pros, and a decent amount of concerns.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02158-6

https://www.statnews.com/2021/08/18/u-s-decision-on-covid-19-booster-shots-baffles-and-upsets-some-scientists/

ETA: A pre-print observational study on waning immunogenicity in US: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.06.21261707v1

Third Dose in Israel for 60+
https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/third-pfizer-dose-86-effective-over-60s-israeli-hmo-says-2021-08-18/
wilmwolf
"Almost all the evidence to date suggests protection against severe disease is still holding and may well last several years"

That's exactly what my physician told me. Jumping the gun on boosters is IMO going to make it even more difficult to convince vaccine hesitant people to get it. If you're still trying to convince people to get their first shot, stating publicly that the vaccines are already losing effectiveness isn't the way to do it. It's pretty much the opposite of what you should do actually.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Mormad
Good stuff, bud. Thank you.
Mormad
I see your point, but i would think the rapid spread of disease among the unvaxxed would be a much stronger influence on human behavior than the thought that there may or may not be a need for boosters 8 months later to maintain protection from disease? Doesn't sound like very logical decision making to me.
Packchem91
Wayland said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

Wayland said:

packgrad said:

metcalfmafia said:

packgrad said:

Pure political theater.
"Mandate"

I don't think mandates are necessary... AT ALL.

That being said, Cooper thinks they should be handled at the local level since they will be more well received (and they are working behind the scenes to get local gov'ts to impose mandates). That is his position... he has clearly stated it... and while I again disagree, it was asked and answered.

It was a waste of everyone's time for 4-5 more reporters to ask the exact same question begging for mandates at a state level. How these people every made it off their high school papers and into 'real' journalism is mind-boggling.

A bunch of mouthbreathers begging for a nanny state. I'd be amazed if there was a single one capable of critical thought.
Too bad Brett Jensen was kind of blackballed out of questions there....he'd ask the direct, different, and tough question. But Cooper's handlers knew that too.
Packchem91
PackFansXL said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

first amendment activities? lol.

I should probably go read Bruno's tweets...but what about the big question here....ballgames?
Here in Texas, football would easily fall in the category of "worship, religious, spiritual gatherings".
Haaaa, nothing more true will be said in this thread all day. One of my favorite books ever read is still "Friday Night Lights" by Bissinger. Read it well before the movie, and had never been close to the Odessa area, but could see that downtown on a game day like it was right here.

A far cry from Sun Valley vs Piedmont back in the day!
wilmwolf
Mormad said:

I see your point, but i would think the rapid spread of disease among the unvaxxed would be a much stronger influence on human behavior than the thought that there may or may not be a need for boosters 8 months later to maintain protection from disease? Doesn't sound like very logical decision making to me.

People who aren't swayed by the spread and death amongst the unvaxxed won't care about boosters either way. I just think that people who are hesitant about taking the vaccine are only going to further have their confidence eroded in the efficacy of the vaccine by this push so soon for a booster. People remember being told earlier this year that if they get the vaccine they will be protected. Those that had reason to doubt that will now point to this as proof. It's bad messaging, particularly when it still remains that unvaccinated spread is the biggest driver of hospitalizations and death. The primary goal should be getting the unprotected protected, not getting the protected better protected.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Mormad
We're up to 135 now.
3 on ECMO
one 25 yo with no Co morbidities tubed and struggling
I know somebody said many hospitals don't do much for these folks until they need intubating and intubating kills them, but here the protocol is to treat all with supplemental O2, steroids, and remdesivir. Some throw the whole kitchen sink at it, but these 3 are always included with steroids being the money treatment. Protocol is for 5 days, and if the pt is discharged before the 5 d mark, transportation for daily treatment is arranged.

MABs are seen as an outpt option, but the critical care doc i spoke with today was very meh about their effectiveness. More sexy than effective. Seems opinions on MABs vary widely.
statefan91
Maybe they are getting the protected better protected because the unvaccinated don't have any intention of getting protected?
First Page Last Page
Page 356 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.