Coronavirus

2,000,578 Views | 19842 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Werewolf
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
statefan91 said:

packgrad said:

statefan91 said:

It sounds like you just don't like the gameday experience at CF based on your comments?
It sounds like you're lying in saying that wearing a mask to football games is part of the gameday experience at CF?
He/she was complaining about the bathrooms and heat by comparing to his home a/c and bathrooms. It sounded like the mask was just the cherry on top from what he/she already doesn't enjoy about coming to watch Wolfpack football.
Oh, so you think complaining about the heat and bathrooms at early Fall games means you don't like the gameday experience at CF? Sounds like you don't make it to many games, or talk to many people.
packgrad
Packchem91
I didn't see this posted yesterday, but not really shocking.

Daviewolf83
dogplasma said:

Daviewolf83 said:

dogplasma said:

Does anyone have a graph or source showing current ICU capacity in NC? The story out of Alabama is pretty alarming. Wondering how we're trending.
Here's a graph showing the percentage of ICU capacity utilized on a daily basis.

Graph below shows the number of empty and occupied ICU beds across NC. Please note the reduction in the number of total ICU beds, since the Winter Wave, when capacity was at its highest.

Thanks. When I said "anyone" I mostly meant you. .

Where does this come from, the CDC? I looked recently (admittedly briefly) and the ICU trend data I found had stopped trending back in March.

I'm no fan of masks - certainly not outdoors and especially not with vaccines widely available to everyone - but if returning to indoor masks helps keep us from overwhelming our hospitals then I'll get on board with it. It just seems like it should have been so easily avoidable.
The information comes from NCDHHS data published in data tables on their website.
PackFansXL
packgrad said:

Quote:

"It is important to remember that 19 out of 20 COVID-19 patients do not need any therapy," Arber said. "After a window of five to 12 days, some 5% of the patients start to deteriorate."

The main cause of the clinical deterioration is an over activation of the immune system, also known as a cytokine storm. In case of COVID-19 patients, the system starts attacking healthy cells in the lungs.

"This is exactly the problem that our drug targets," he said.
They said it would take the remainder of the year to do the 3rd phase of their testing. With the plethora of COVID patients, they should be able to do that test in 4 to 6 weeks. Of course, it would take the FDA another 6 to 12 months to approve it though.
Oldsouljer
Daviewolf83 said:

dogplasma said:

Daviewolf83 said:

dogplasma said:

Does anyone have a graph or source showing current ICU capacity in NC? The story out of Alabama is pretty alarming. Wondering how we're trending.
Here's a graph showing the percentage of ICU capacity utilized on a daily basis.

Graph below shows the number of empty and occupied ICU beds across NC. Please note the reduction in the number of total ICU beds, since the Winter Wave, when capacity was at its highest.

Thanks. When I said "anyone" I mostly meant you. .

Where does this come from, the CDC? I looked recently (admittedly briefly) and the ICU trend data I found had stopped trending back in March.

I'm no fan of masks - certainly not outdoors and especially not with vaccines widely available to everyone - but if returning to indoor masks helps keep us from overwhelming our hospitals then I'll get on board with it. It just seems like it should have been so easily avoidable.
The information comes from NCDHHS data published in data tables on their website.
Aka Mandy's mumbo jumbo.
RunsWithWolves26
Starting September 20th, booster shots are available for anyone fully vaccinated and at least 8 months removed from being fully vaccinated.
WolfPacker54
wilmwolf80 said:

Mormad said:

I must love Wolfpack football way too much, because there's no way in hell I'm letting a "flimsy arse mask" keep me out of the Carter when those gates open, my friends. That's like not seeing my family, and it's letting idiots win.

I might in November, I'm not in September. Having worn masks all last summer, sometimes in attics, sometimes carrying ladders up and down three flights of stairs in the heat, it's just different. I already don't enjoy early season games in the east side sun, enduring that while also feeling that my ability to breathe is restricted, just not something I want to do. I wore my mask to the one game I was allowed to go to last year, and it was fine because it was cold, but in the summer heat, nah.

We only have night games in September though.

Edit: Clemson on 9/25 TBA, but the first 2 games are night games.
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Starting September 20th, booster shots are available for anyone fully vaccinated and at least 8 months removed from being fully vaccinated.
Hopefully, they release the data that shows a need. I have not seen any evidence for it yet, especially why T-Cells are not working beyond 8 months. Did they address J&J? All I had seen to date was with regards to the two mRNA vaccines. I got J&J, so I am not a candidate for the other two vaccines.
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Hopefully, they release the data that shows a need. I have not seen any evidence for it yet, especially why T-Cells are not working beyond 8 months. Did they address J&J? All I had seen to date was with regards to the two mRNA vaccines. I got J&J, so I am not a candidate for the other two vaccines.
They are in a full on panic to try and appear to do something that 'may' work. Because if/when this next winter wave rolls over on the country hard.... going to some explaining.
packgrad
Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

RunsWithWolves26
Davie, they haven't said yet that J&J needs a booster but they also said they didn't have enough data for that as of yet. Apparently, the Pfizer vaccine is only 46% effective against the delta variant. Article did mention the Israel study was used as well as US studies.
Wayland
Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

They are in a full on panic to try and appear to do something that 'may' work. Because if/when this next winter wave rolls over on the country hard.... going to some explaining.
Apparently this is a 4 pt slide from a Fauci briefing today. (not for sure so don't sue me)

It is all guesswork.... and "MAY" ... desperation not trials and science. This slide should be a trial SHOWING that boosters ARE effective... not that they MAY be....

Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I thought this would be a good place for this article from The Atlantic. Bottom-line, the virus that causes Covid-19 is endemic and will be with us forever.

The Coronavirus Is Here Forever. This Is How We Live With It.
RunsWithWolves26
All I got out of that was the word "titers".
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Apparently this is a 4 pt slide from a Fauci briefing today. (not for sure so don't sue me)

It is all guesswork.... and "MAY" ... desperation not trials and science.

Not one mention of T-Cells and studies. This is some really good "science."
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

We don't do "science" anymore... we do "The Science" tm
Civilized
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Save the Titers?
wilmwolf
Forgive my ignorance on boosters, but if the pfizer vaccine is only 46% effective against the delta variant, how will boosting that vaccine improve that number?
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
RunsWithWolves26
Civilized said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Save the Titers?

Before all else!
packgrad
Mecklenburg Co exemptions. Looks like protests are still exempt. Maybe for those that exercise, you just need to make a protest shirt of some sort to work out in.

dogplasma
wilmwolf80 said:

Forgive my ignorance on boosters, but if the pfizer vaccine is only 46% effective against the delta variant, how will boosting that vaccine improve that number?
46 + 46 = 92. Duh.
caryking
wilmwolf80 said:

You know, wilmwolf throws out some simple questions that are difficult to answer. Keep'em coming! Your common sense is very difficult for some to grasp!
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
statefan91
packgrad said:

Mecklenburg Co exemptions. Looks like protests are still exempt. Maybe for those that exercise, you just need to make a protest shirt of some sort to work out in.

Not really a point of the mandate with that number of exemptions haha
Wayland
Counties getting through their current wave death backlog. 57 deaths reported today (none from Meck or Wake).

metcalfmafia
So what's the end game here? Are we gonna have mask mandates every time cases spike? So every covid season, we need to plan on wearing masks?
packgrad
metcalfmafia said:

So what's the end game here? Are we gonna have mask mandates every time cases spike? So every covid season, we need to plan on wearing masks?
Yes. Masks are all upside.
Civilized
packgrad said:

metcalfmafia said:

Yes. Masks are all upside.

Glad to see my comrades coming around.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

first amendment activities? lol.

I should probably go read Bruno's tweets...but what about the big question here....ballgames?
ciscopack
packgrad
No new outdoor mandate. Season is still on for PG.
Packchem91
statefan91 said:

packgrad said:

Not really a point of the mandate with that number of exemptions haha
And if you really wanted to make a difference, why would you exempt a church service? There were hundreds of people sitting side by side in my church Sunday (x3 services). Not to mention all the people in smaller rooms for SS classes, etc. And i handled maybe 15 babies Sunday in the nursery....so they want us to be covid safe by wearing masks, but that type of thing doesn't require a mask?
Weird.
Mormad
Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

To be fair, it's not like fauci, for all his hate, doesn't know the science of viral disease better then us, or that there's anything on that slide that is indeed not a simple support for boosters. I discussed this very topic with multiple docs at lunch today. I was the one guy who is hesitant to get a booster, and i explained my reasoning.

The slide does state the ideas that support getting a booster. That doesn't mean that it should state or be felt to state that boosters should be mandatory or even needed for the majority. It even leaves out at least 2 very good reasons to consider a booster that we discussed today.

All that said, i remain hesitant to get a booster despite my peers' strong feelings to the contrary. If we depended on or waited on pure science for many accepted best practices in medicine we would be in trouble. Most of the time we use an understanding of "science" and a knowledge of its inherent weaknesses and we depend on experience, training, and knowledge to guide us to treat patients the best we can.

But, yes, memory B cells and T cells are the reason I'm willing to bet on my vaccination, despite my likely falling IgG levels. But there's no denying that a booster 8 months later would greatly increase younger antibodies, and that a delayed booster, as we've found with multiple other vaccinations, boosts immunity. The question remains, is it needed in the majority? If any know the answer to that for this particular pandemic that is known for making us look stupid, you're a lot smarter than me. But right now I'm hedging until we know more. And that knowledge is building at an exponential rate it seems.
metcalfmafia
packgrad said:

Pure political theater.
Wayland
Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

To be fair, it's not like fauci, for all his hate, doesn't know the science of viral disease better then us, or that there's anything on that slide that is indeed not a simple support for boosters. I discussed this very topic with multiple docs at lunch today. I was the one guy who is hesitant to get a booster, and i explained my reasoning.

The slide does state the ideas that support getting a booster. That doesn't mean that it should state or be felt to state that boosters should be mandatory or even needed for the majority. It even leaves out at least 2 very good reasons to consider a booster that we discussed today.

All that said, i remain hesitant to get a booster despite my peers' strong feelings to the contrary. If we depended on or waited on pure science for many accepted best practices in medicine we would be in trouble. Most of the time we use an understanding of "science" and a knowledge of its inherent weaknesses and we depend on experience, training, and knowledge to guide us to treat patients the best we can.

But, yes, memory B cells and T cells are the reason I'm willing to bet on my vaccination, despite my likely falling IgG levels. But there's no denying that a booster 8 months later would greatly increase younger antibodies, and that a delayed booster, as we've found with multiple other vaccinations, boosts immunity. The question remains, is it needed in the majority? If any know the answer to that for this particular pandemic that is known for making us look stupid, you're a lot smarter than me. But right now I'm hedging until we know more. And that knowledge is building at an exponential rate it seems.

I don't care what he knows or thinks he knows.

It is backwards that the politicians are making the policy on boosters... setting the date... and then saying

"Oh... but we will check with the FDA and CDC and stuff first... but, we have already decided on Sept 20."

That isn't sound practice and trialed science..... that is desperation, hope, and guessing. We have had plenty of opportunity for trialed science....

Not that I would expect booster science... since we can't have science done on anything else.
First Page Last Page
Page 355 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.