Coronavirus

1,980,140 Views | 19754 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
IseWolf22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WPNfamily said:

My J&J shot was right at the base of my deltoid. How do I know that? Because the nurse who gave it to me rubbed my arm and says, "wow you have a huge deltoid", rubbed it more and the jabbed me, then rubbed it more, and told me how nice my deltoids were again. Seemed normal until my wife told me the nurse was flirting with me. I told her I hope he wasn't cause I like the ladies. She died laughing and I now can say I was hit on by a dude. Kind of flattering when the wife got jelly over the dude nurse!

Btw- I still need to look up what a deltoid is
Thanks for the morning laugh.

Take flattery where you can get it
wilmwolf
Before vaccination started, my own guess was that we would top out at around 60%. At this point, it's pretty much available to anyone who wants it in most places. I see the rate continuing to slow down, as your data suggests. Maybe the announcement of the goal will spur some to go get it, I just don't think we will get there. I think the goal should have been related to the most vulnerable parts of the population, because I just don't think you are going to see 2/3 or 3/4 of the younger age groups getting vaccinated, and in some ways I don't blame them if they choose not to.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
TheStorm
WPNfamily said:

My J&J shot was right at the base of my deltoid. How do I know that? Because the nurse who gave it to me rubbed my arm and says, "wow you have a huge deltoid", rubbed it more and the jabbed me, then rubbed it more, and told me how nice my deltoids were again. Seemed normal until my wife told me the nurse was flirting with me. I told her I hope he wasn't cause I like the ladies. She died laughing and I now can say I was hit on by a dude. Kind of flattering when the wife got jelly over the dude nurse!

As long as it didn't "move" I think you are ok in that scenario...
PackPA2015
I, too worry about getting to that 2/3's mark of adults with at least one shot. We have vaccinated the most vulnerable populations in very high amounts which is great. We are starting to get to the population that will be most hesitant about getting the vaccine, younger and typically more healthy. The J&J pause did not help as well as the 1 dose option seemed to have really taken off in a lot of areas. I don't know how many times I heard patients say they were waiting on the one dose version in our area.

Further on J&J, read an article yesterday saying they thought the pause would likely be ended by the end of this week, but shot will be limited to specific populations and likely only 65+ individuals. We will see if that stays true.
Wayland
PackPA2015 said:

I, too worry about getting to that 2/3's mark of adults with at least one shot. We have vaccinated the most vulnerable populations in very high amounts which is great. We are starting to get to the population that will be most hesitant about getting the vaccine, younger and typically more healthy. The J&J pause did not help as well as the 1 dose option seemed to have really taken off in a lot of areas. I don't know how many times I heard patients say they were waiting on the one dose version in our area.

Further on J&J, read an article yesterday saying they thought the pause would likely be ended by the end of this week, but shot will be limited to specific populations and likely only 65+ individuals. We will see if that stays true.

Someone I follow suggested a 'concierge service' for vaccines for millennials. He said that it isn't that they are hesitant, they just don't care enough to make a huge effort.

So, make it like vaccine DoorDash.

Personally, I am in the 'you do you' camp. Vaccines are now widely available, clock is ticking for you to do it or not before we open. But we need to open either way. I prefer they get creative and try and convince rather than coerce.
PackPA2015
Wayland said:

PackPA2015 said:

Someone I follow suggested a 'concierge service' for vaccines for millennials. He said that it isn't that they are hesitant, they just don't care enough to make a huge effort.

Personally, I am in the 'you do you' camp. Vaccines are now widely available, clock is ticking for you to do it or not before we open. But we need to open either way. I prefer they get creative and try and convince rather than coerce.
Good point. I think that is a much better way to describe it.

Really interesting idea as well. Agree wholeheartedly with convincing rather than coercing. I think getting the vaccines out to primary care offices would also help reach more than having the health department and pharmacies do all the heavy lifting. Then, when folks come for their regular follow-ups, we can have that to offer. This may not reach that millennial population specifically, but may catch those who don't have a chance to get an appointment or not willing to make the effort to go somewhere else possibly.

I think colleges having access will help with the Gen Z population, but I have not heard a lot of strong participation from the few college-aged kids I know. Most think they are healthy enough and are okay with the risk of having COVID. Limited anecdotal evidence though.
TheStorm
Wayland said:

PackPA2015 said:

I didn't really like the Walgreen's approach either though... it was so utterly disorganized and the amount of paperwork was totally ridiculous. You answer the questions verbally, then they hand you a clipboard and you go sit down and answer those same questions again in writing.

First time, there was a form online - and on the covid page - that you could download and fill out (which we did)... but when we got there 15 minutes early for our appointment (as requested) we were told that they had a new form now only for covid (which wasn't on line when we got our first appointment).

Then we had to answer all the same questions again for the 2nd shot as well. Same questions!

To me, the worst flaw in their system there is that they have everybody show up at the same time (a 10:00 AM appointment is really the total amount of shots they can administer between 10 and 11) instead of having them spaced out two people every 15 minutes and it creates a logjam in line that doesn't thin out for 30 minutes... then they lather, rinse, repeat at 11.

There was a guy in line with us yesterday - probably 35 or so - at the very front of the line, got handed his paperwork, sat down and started filling it out and then I never saw him again... he saw the rest of the line and just said f it and left.

I damn well know that a millenial doesn't have the patience for anything that's not immediate... and honestly, in the case of the shot I really don't blame them because the system at Walgreen's truly is a **** show.
statefan91
Not that it matters for this conversation, but just FYI the college kids now are Gen Z (born after 1996).

I have seen some breweries locally in Charlotte start to have vaccine partnerships, here's an example (with a pretty funny provider twitter account):

WPNfamily
statefan91 said:

Not that it matters for this conversation, but just FYI the college kids now are Gen Z (born after 1996).

I have seen some breweries locally in Charlotte start to have vaccine partnerships, here's an example (with a pretty funny provider twitter account):

Is a third shot safe? Asking for a friend.
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

My thoughts as well. At this point, it appears the upper limit on full vaccination is going to be around 70%, but it is going to take more time than we would like to get there. I was looking at the week over week changes by county for different age groups and the 65+ age groups are down dramatically - likely due to the fact a large number have already been vaccinated from this age group (more than 60%).

Up until two weeks ago, vaccination rates were looking good, but last week they fell off a cliff. In many counties, the number of people being vaccinated by age group was half what it was the week before. You can definitely see this in the summary numbers I posted last night. The trend is not encouraging at all. I believe J&J issues and stoppage of the use of the vaccine did quite a bit of damage to the push to get people vaccinated. While it was probably the right thing to do, the overall message it sent was not good at all.

Hopefully, the J&J vaccine will be approved for use tomorrow and it will cover more than the 65+ age group. I really think the younger age groups were more inclined to get this vaccine, since it is only one dose and not having it available to them will make it tough to get that age group fully vaccinated with the two dose variety. Many in the younger age groups already think the virus is not a serious risk, so they are not as motivated to get vaccinated.

One piece of personal news on this topic. My son's university (Wake Forest) is going to require all students to be vaccinated before they can return in the Fall. I know there were a lot of students at his university that had no plans to get vaccinated, so it will definitely help. If they want to be exempted (health or religious reasons), they must submit paperwork to the university with details around their reasons and all cases will be individually reviewed to insure they meet the guidelines for an exemption.

I do believe it will take similar mandates from other universities and employers to get more people vaccinated to reach percentages close to and above 70%.
IseWolf22
statefan91 said:

I've seen free weed offered in legal states
TheStorm
IseWolf22 said:

Do you have to smoke it on site, or can you take a "to go" cup with you?
wilmwolf
IseWolf22 said:

statefan91 said:

Man, as little energy as I've had since the second dose, weed might make me comatose.
Wayland
I got my vaccine at the HT around the corner, back in the old J&J days. It looked like their appointments were 1 person per 15 mins.

So I walked up, signed in, got a shot, then did some light shopping for 10 or 15 mins to wait out my time. It was super low key.
PackPA2015
You're right. Thanks for the correction!

Real neat idea there at the brewery!
Civilized
WPNfamily said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

That's great
PackPA2015
J&J are resuming and available to anyone 18+. It will come with a black box warning meaning whomever is giving you the shot must tell you about the potential for blood clots.
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

J&J are resuming and available to anyone 18+. It will come with a black box warning meaning whomever is giving you the shot must tell you about the potential for blood clots.
Hopefully people will continue to get the J&J vaccine. it is well suited to the hard to reach populations and those who have a fear of needles. I am afraid the stoppage did some damage to the velocity of vaccinations in NC and the rest of the US, but I am hopeful people will become more confident in the J&J vaccine as use picks up.

Also, the CDC and the healthcare policy leaders in general really need to change their messaging to a more data focused message with regards to vaccines and how they will help us get back to normal. To this day, they continue with a message that people must continue to social distance and wear a mask when in groups, even when outside, after being fully vaccinated. The data continues to pile up in disagreement with this policy and it only conveys a message that vaccines do not work.

Here's the type of data driven messaging I am talking about:

On top of this, President Biden was on a Zoom call recently with leaders from all over the world. On the call, every single person had no mask, except for President Biden. Yes, a fully vaccinated person, on a Zoom call was wearing a mask. I am sorry, but this is the wrong message to be sending people and it is nothing other than virtue signaling. The same goes for the pictures of Biden walking alone through Arlington Cemetery while wearing a mask. Again, fully vaccinated person, walking alone in the outdoors while wearing a mask.

I had an exchange with a person earlier this week on a friend's Facebook page, where they argued that vaccines do not work, since the CDC has told us that vaccinated people can still get infected and transmit the virus. They were telling others in the replies that they should not waste their time getting vaccinated, since the vaccines do not prevent you from becoming infected. I provided actual data on the number of reported "break-through" cases, hospitalizations and deaths and yet, they continued to argue vaccines do not work. At this point, I gave up arguing, since it was impossible for me to reduce myself to their intellectual level. The sad thing is many on the post agreed with this really stupid person.

Daviewolf83
I thought this was interesting with regards to herd immunity. Israel has decided to not vaccinate people under the age of 12, since it is not needed to reach herd immunity.

wilmwolf
Yeah, the virtue signaling is out of control.
TheStorm
Wife and I both closing in on 72 hours with no side effects from Pfizer #2... we're in the clear baby!
IseWolf22
Wife had Pfizer #2 yesterday
She's really light headed and feels like her arm "is going to fall off". Otherwise she says it feels like a hangover.

I'm up Wednesday
dogplasma
I don't see Biden's mask use as virtue signaling. I can't say for sure what the man truly believes, but I haven't seen a reason to think that he doesn't actually believe mask use is unnecessary. (That was a triple negative - did I say that right? Lol). I know he's been vaccinated and doesn't need to wear a mask for himself, but if there's still a large segment of the population that should still wear a mask, then I can't fault a person in his position for continuing to enforce that message. I see it more as message follow-through until mask mandates are over. I guess some individuals might see it as a sign that vaccines don't work, but I suspect those people already have strong opinions and aren't really being persuaded just by something like that.

On another note, somebody really needs to send India some vaccines. That place is literally a hot mess. They're talking about setting up crematoriums in the streets. This is at the same time that South Korea has (or soon will have) twice as many vaccines as there are people in South Korea. Also, isn't there an overflow of the Astra Zeneca vaccine out there? Things just sound so awful in India right now.
Daviewolf83
dogplasma said:

I don't see Biden's mask use as virtue signaling. I can't say for sure what the man truly believes, but I haven't seen a reason to think that he doesn't actually believe mask use is unnecessary. (That was a triple negative - did I say that right? Lol). I know he's been vaccinated and doesn't need to wear a mask for himself, but if there's still a large segment of the population that should still wear a mask, then I can't fault a person in his position for continuing to enforce that message. I see it more as message follow-through until mask mandates are over. I guess some individuals might see it as a sign that vaccines don't work, but I suspect those people already have strong opinions and aren't really being persuaded just by something like that.

On another note, somebody really needs to send India some vaccines. That place is literally a hot mess. They're talking about setting up crematoriums in the streets. This is at the same time that South Korea has (or soon will have) twice as many vaccines as there are people in South Korea. Also, isn't there an overflow of the Astra Zeneca vaccine out there? Things just sound so awful in India right now.
The US government has finally issued a statement on the India situation and what steps they will be taking.

Daviewolf83
Some vaccination updates for NC. The first graph below shows the percentage of first dose and second doses administered by age group. The second graph shows how NC is doing against the target to vaccinate 66% of the adult population (1st dose) by June 1. Currently, NC is below the track by 97,000 people. They need to vaccinate 35,000 people a day to meet the current goal, plus make up the 97,000 person deficit.

wilmwolf
There really is no reason to wear a mask in a zoom call unless you are sitting in the middle of the covid ward in the hospital. It's totally a virtue signal. You can argue he's just trying to reinforce the messaging, but he's literally the only leader on that call wearing one, do none of the others care about messaging?
MayorStoner
IseWolf22 said:

She's really light headed and feels like her arm "is going to fall off". Otherwise she says it feels like a hangover.

I'm up Wednesday
got Pfizer #2 this morning. Must have caused memory loss as I forgot the nascar race was at 2pm and missed the first 25 laps lmao.
IseWolf22
IseWolf22 said:

I'm up Wednesday

Symptoms started to fade around 24 hours from the injection yesterday afternoon. She's fine today
caryking
My wife got her second shot (Pfizer) last Wednesday. She had "Zero" side effects! We headed down to the coast, to relax, as she was expecting to have some issues; however, they never came...
PackPA2015
I know someone was asking about travel to Europe this summer. European Union announced that they will allow tourists whom are vaccinated to travel to those areas. These vaccines are working and they are working very, very well.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/european-union-will-let-vaccinated-americans-visit-this-summer-official-2021-04-25/
Civilized
IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

I'm up Wednesday

Symptoms started to fade around 24 hours from the injection yesterday afternoon. She's fine today
Crazy how all over the map vaccination symptoms are, just like the actual disease.
ncsualum05
PackPA2015 said:

I know someone was asking about travel to Europe this summer. European Union announced that they will allow tourists whom are vaccinated to travel to those areas. These vaccines are working and they are working very, very well.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/european-union-will-let-vaccinated-americans-visit-this-summer-official-2021-04-25/
Don't tell Fauci, Biden, CDC or rest of the democrat party that. Fauci just now admitted it's ok to be outdoors. The amount of mental disorders that he has caused in people is immeasurable and would take years to even get an idea.
PackPA2015
ncsualum05 said:

PackPA2015 said:

Don't tell Fauci, Biden, CDC or rest of the democrat party that. Fauci just now admitted it's ok to be outdoors. The amount of mental disorders that he has caused in people is immeasurable and would take years to even get an idea.
Yep, we messed that up royally. Should have been pushing people outdoors for as many things as possible from the beginning.

Just remember through all of this (this is for everyone, not just you), but hindsight is always 20/20. Now, were the medical entities too slow in changing guidelines, etc.? Yes, of course, but some things we just did not know initially and are now catching up with these changes. This one, we were really, really slow with and were wrong about.
Everpack
They closed national parks and gates on national forest land. That wasn't being slow to change the message, that was being intentionally restrictive to try to prove a point in the face of decades of virus transmission research and data.
wilmwolf
The messaging on outdoor events has been awful the whole time. Tremendous hypocrisy, calling people at the beach a super spreader event, but protests and marches were ok. The science has remained pretty steadfast from very early on in the pandemic that being outside was the safest place to be. Driving everyone indoors, mostly to their own homes where they aren't very likely to be wearing a mask, was a mistake. In the first days and weeks of the pandemic, I forgive the confusion and assume that everyone was only acting on the best information they had with an abundance of caution. Now, be outside, play, exercise, be happy. Kids shouldn't be wearing masks to play soccer. Just dumb.
First Page Last Page
Page 261 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.