Coronavirus

1,980,852 Views | 19755 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by Werewolf
ciscopack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cat Scratch Fever doesn't think it is a joke any longer but he doesn't mind us passing the Virus around for a longer period of time. I guess he likes eating at restaurants with a mask while walking around them or sporting events not being played or them played with less fans or even concerts the same way? I guess a lot of people don't mind the last 1.15 years?
Glasswolf
So I just had my 2nd Pfizer vaccine. Sadly I do not have wi-fi yet but I am getting messages from the Mars Rover asking what is next to do in the mission. What should I tell it to do?
TheStorm
Glasswolf said:

So I just had my 2nd Pfizer vaccine. Sadly I do not have wi-fi yet but I am getting messages from the Mars Rover asking what is next to do in the mission. What should I tell it to do?
Wife and I get our 2nd dose today... hoping for the same experience from the 1st one.
TheStorm
TheStorm said:

Glasswolf said:

Wife and I get our 2nd dose today... hoping for the same experience from the 1st one.
Runs, Wilm80, Glass... any of you that just got your second shot recently. My second shot's placement was significantly higher on my arm this time (3-5" higher, basically into my lower shoulder) did you experience the same with your second?

Mormad, any specific reason for this? It was definitely a more uncomfortable reception of the shot itself as well. I'm only 2.5 hours from having received it and my arm doesn't hurt any whatsoever as of yet, but it just feels kind of different if that makes any sense.
wilmwolf
TheStorm said:

TheStorm said:

Glasswolf said:

Runs, Wilm80, Glass... any of you that just got your second shot recently. My second shot's placement was significantly higher on my arm this time (3-5" higher, basically into my lower shoulder) did you experience the same with your second?

Mormad, any specific reason for this? It was definitely a more uncomfortable reception of the shot itself as well. I'm only 2.5 hours from having received it and my arm doesn't hurt any whatsoever as of yet, but it just feels kind of different if that makes any sense.

Mine was in pretty much the same spot. Felt numb the first day, really really sore the next few, still mildly sore if I push on it.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
ncsualum05
TheStorm said:

TheStorm said:

Glasswolf said:

I didn't notice that with mine. Pretty much the same place a 1st shot. I didn't even feel it go in... those nurses are amazing. I was one of the lucky ones with no soreness and no side effects as well.
RunsWithWolves26
Hey Storm. Mine was slightly higher then my first shot. Honestly, I felt no soreness until about 6-7 hours after the shot. I did feel a slight heaviness before the soreness started. It was significantly more sore then the first shot but only when I extended it, etc. It didn't stop me from doing anything. It was more of an annoying pain then anything really.
JasonNCSU

Colonel Armstrong
Freedom at long last
PortCityPackFan
Good to hear. Now the GA needs to look at revising the emergency powers of the Governor. One man should not have this much power. Emergency powers should expire within some timeframe (say 30 days) before the consent of the GA should be required to extend.
ncsualum05
PortCityPackFan said:

Good to hear. Now the GA needs to look at revising the emergency powers of the Governor. One man should not have this much power. Emergency powers should expire within some timeframe (say 30 days) before the consent of the GA should be required to extend.
I absolutely agree and hopefully they already have something drafted. However without ANY support from democrats the bill would be vetoed at the governor's desk. They can't override because they don't have the super majority needed. But it needs to be on deck and maybe after 2024 they get it done. Governors had way too much unilateral power during this time and made bad decisions and bad policy based on no logic or science in a lot of cases.
Wayland
There is a whole lot to unpack from that briefing today.

Two super negatives for me are

Not counting infection acquired immunity towards the 2/3 goal. I know, get the vaccine, etc etc.

Masking kids until vaccines are approved for them. This needs to go away. Maybe it is something they said in the heat of the moment and they will walk it back. If mask mandates are being lifted for adults, they better damn well lift them for kids.

Edit: Apparently I wasn't the only one who heard the mask kids comment that way

Daviewolf83
JasonNCSU said:

Mask mandates remain in effect, both outdoors and indoors, until at least 2/3 of adults are fully vaccinated. For 65+ age groups, we are at this point, but all other age groups have a lot of work ahead of them. I suspect the 18-24 age group will be the hardest one to get vaccinated to the 66% or above level. Hopefully communicating that mask mandates will end when a specific number of people are vaccinated will help to push people to get vaccinated.

To reach the threshold of vaccinating 66% of the adult population, NC would need to fully vaccinate 5.4M people. Currently, NC has fully vaccinated 2,889,511 people, so 2,509,755 people still need to get fully vaccinated.

As far as outdoor mask mandates are concerned, they should be removed now. There is no reason to keep them in place, considering how little spread comes from outdoor interactions. At this point, the outdoor mask mandates are theater.

Wayland
I thought Mandy had said it was 2/3s with at least one shot? Maybe I misheard.

EDIT: In his opening comments Roy definitely refers to 2/3, 1st shot.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

I thought Mandy had said it was 2/3s with at least one shot? Maybe I misheard.

EDIT: In his opening comments Roy definitely refers to 2/3, 1st shot.
You might be right. The tweets I saw said fully vaccinated, but they may have made this assumption. If it is partially vaccinated, it means we are closer to the number than having to wait for full vaccination. As far as first dose vaccinations are concerned, NC has vaccinated 3,680,017 people (first dose + J&J single dose). In this case, an additional 1,719,250 people need to receive their first dose to remove the mask mandates.

This is all based on an estimated adult population (18+) of 8,180,706 people.
ncsualum05
So by June 1st no more masks? I was confused by the posts here. I thought they were leaving masks mandates in place. I'm damn sure not making my kids wear one going forward after this school year.
Daviewolf83
ncsualum05 said:

So by June 1st no more masks? I was confused by the posts here. I thought they were leaving masks mandates in place. I'm damn sure not making my kids wear one going forward after this school year.
Masks remain. The limitations on occupancy and social distancing go away on 6/1. Masks remain until 2/3 of adult population are vaccinated. Getting rid of masks requires more people to step up and get vaccinated.
Wayland
ncsualum05 said:

Based on the coordinated media momentum, I would expect outdoor masking to be lifted before indoor.

It appears Roy/Mandy are going to leave indoor masking and/or masking of children in place, for now. We will see if they walk any of that back.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

ncsualum05 said:

Based on the coordinated media momentum, I would expect outdoor masking to be lifted before indoor.

It appears Roy/Mandy are going to leave indoor masking and/or masking of children in place, for now. We will see if they walk any of that back.
Requiring kids to continue to wear a mask while letting adults go without masks is not based on the science as we know it. Study out of Israel shows that has adults get vaccinated, infection in kids falls significantly. Also, we know kids are at much lower risk of severe Covid than adults.

Here's a link to the study:

SARS-CoV-2 infection risk among unvaccinated is negatively associated with community-level vaccination rates
wilmwolf
Wondering if kids continuing to wear masks was a demand to Cooper from teachers. Doesn't really make any sense based on what we know, but neither does most of this *****
Wayland
wilmwolf80 said:

Wondering if kids continuing to wear masks was a demand to Cooper from teachers. Doesn't really make any sense based on what we know, but neither does most of this *****
Possibly, Cooper alluded to summer school/camp guidance.
TheStorm
ncsualum05 said:

PortCityPackFan said:

I absolutely agree and hopefully they already have something drafted. However without ANY support from democrats the bill would be vetoed at the governor's desk. They can't override because they don't have the super majority needed. But it needs to be on deck and maybe after 2024 they get it done. Governors had way too much unilateral power during this time and made bad decisions and bad policy based on no logic or science in a lot of cases.
And don't forget that we had a Presidential Election coming up as well.
Daviewolf83
wilmwolf80 said:

If teachers get vaccinated, they do not need to worry about getting infected from unmasked kids. The incidence of breakthrough cases is extremely rare, despite what the news media would have you believe.

Here are the current stats (per Dr. Monica Gandhi):

Out of 77 million Americans fully vaccinated against COVID:

- 5,800 infections (0.008%)
- 0.005% with symptoms
- 0.0005% hospitalizations
- 0.0001% deaths (latter handful reported with other health problems)

Based on this - vaccines will go a lot further in protecting you than a mask. If a teacher refuses to get vaccinated, they should not expect a kid being masked will protect them more than a vaccine.
TheStorm
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Hey Storm. Mine was slightly higher then my first shot. Honestly, I felt no soreness until about 6-7 hours after the shot. I did feel a slight heaviness before the soreness started. It was significantly more sore then the first shot but only when I extended it, etc. It didn't stop me from doing anything. It was more of an annoying pain then anything really.
Now 6 hours past receiving the injection and my arm doesn't feel "strange" anymore (hopefully it was in my head)... same exact person gave me the 2nd shot that gave me the 1st, so I was just wondering about the reason for such a dramatic change in location - I've never had a shot given to me so close to the shoulder region, so I'm assuming they think there's a reason to give it higher... I guess I'll find out in another 12 hours!
Daviewolf83
TheStorm said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Now 6 hours past receiving the injection and my arm doesn't feel "strange" anymore (hopefully it was in my head)... same exact person gave me the 2nd shot that gave me the 1st, so I was just wondering about the reason for such a dramatic change in location - I've never had a shot given to me so close to the shoulder region, so I'm assuming they think there's a reason to give it higher... I guess I'll find out in another 12 hours!
My J&J shot was also high on my shoulder and I thought it was strange. I guess I should have sat up straighter in the chair :-)
Glasswolf
Mine was slightly higher
ncsualum05
Daviewolf83 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

If teachers get vaccinated, they do not need to worry about getting infected from unmasked kids. The incidence of breakthrough cases is extremely rare, despite what the news media would have you believe.

Here are the current stats (per Dr. Monica Gandhi):

Out of 77 million Americans fully vaccinated against COVID:

- 5,800 infections (0.008%)
- 0.005% with symptoms
- 0.0005% hospitalizations
- 0.0001% deaths (latter handful reported with other health problems)

Based on this - vaccines will go a lot further in protecting you than a mask. If a teacher refuses to get vaccinated, they should not expect a kid being masked will protect them more than a vaccine.
Wow. Where did they come up with those numbers? That's amazing.

I don't know what motivation politicians have to walk back things as the vaccine is widely distributed. It was the ONE thing that we had to have to live life again and exercise liberty. Now that things are going well and people are getting the shots we're moving the goal posts. Power? Screwing with people?

Regardless I'm planning to very soon not wear my mask at all unless the business requires it. My poor kid wearing it every day in school all day especially during allergy/ sneezing season. I'm not making my kids wear them at all after school is out.

Masks were necessary but they became a political symbol at some point. Either way it's time to let that all go now. Go get vaccinated. Then live your life. If you don't want it... fine. If you get COVID hope it's a mild case. Your choice and there's no wrong choice although it does appear they are trying to encourage that threshold before they'll let up.
bigeric
On a whim, I used the other arm. No problems with either shot, other than the injection site was tender to the touch in both arms. Ibuprofen cured that.
dogplasma
I'm sure there's a histogram somewhere of the number of people in NC with at least one shot. Wonder if that extrapolates to show 66% by June 1. In any case, it's good to finally hear talk of normalcy.
RunsWithWolves26
47.1% of the over 18 as of today have had at least 1 shot.
Daviewolf83
dogplasma said:

I'm sure there's a histogram somewhere of the number of people in NC with at least one shot. Wonder if that extrapolates to show 66% by June 1. In any case, it's good to finally hear talk of normalcy.
As I posted earlier, NC will need to vaccinate approximately 1,719,250 additional people between now and June 1 to reach the goal of vaccinating 66% of the adult population. This means they need to vaccinate ~42,000 new people every day for the next 41 days. Over the past seven days, NC provided first vaccine doses to an average of 25,000 people per day. If they keep up this rate, they will not reach the goal by June 1. They need to make a big jump to get to the 42,000 first doses per day rate.
wilmwolf
Yeah, there's no way they will reach that mark.
WPNfamily
My J&J shot was right at the base of my deltoid. How do I know that? Because the nurse who gave it to me rubbed my arm and says, "wow you have a huge deltoid", rubbed it more and the jabbed me, then rubbed it more, and told me how nice my deltoids were again. Seemed normal until my wife told me the nurse was flirting with me. I told her I hope he wasn't cause I like the ladies. She died laughing and I now can say I was hit on by a dude. Kind of flattering when the wife got jelly over the dude nurse!

Btw- I still need to look up what a deltoid is
Daviewolf83
wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah, there's no way they will reach that mark.
The first vaccination rate appears to be slowing and not increasing, which will make it very hard without some drastic changes. Below are the average 1st vaccine doses per day for the three past seven day periods.

3/23 to 3/30 = 88,300 1st doses/day
4/1 to 4/8 = 51,300 1st doses/day
4/13 to 4/20 = 25,130 1st doses/day

I am including the first doses for the two dose vaccines, plus the doses for the one dose vaccine, plus the first doses for two dose vaccine Federal program, plus the single dose for the one dose Federal program. I record this data every couple of days from the NCDHHS website.

The graph below shows how NC is doing in meeting the goal of having 66% of adults having received their first dose of a vaccine by 6/1. The assumptions behind the target are:

Total NC Population: 10,488,084
Total NC Population Aged 18+: 8,191,194 (78.1% of the population are aged 18+)
66% of NC Adult Population: 5,406,188

TheStorm
TheStorm said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

So far, still so good. Wife as well... not suggesting that we're past the time period yet, just saying that so far there have been no side effects.
First Page Last Page
Page 260 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.