Coronavirus

2,018,501 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Werewolf
Daviewolf83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WPNfamily said:

PackMom said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Little update. Basically 18 hours removed from the second Pfizer shot. Not really sure when the side affects start kicking in for people but as of now, I have an extremely sore arm and that is it. Hoping it stays that way and I have no other side affects.

ETA:. Without really my side affects, I'm beginning to wonder if they just shot me up with water this time around. So far, I had more side affects with the first shot.
Glad to hear you're doing well. If it makes you feel any better, my husband and I had no more than a sore arm after ours. He gave blood recently and it showed antibodies.

I am curious if after having Covid and now the vax if I will show super human levels of antibodies? I current feel like a science experiment!

WPNfamily - Here is a link to a good Twitter thread on this very question. In summary, the answer is you likely will see benefit from getting at least one dose of a vaccine if you were previously infected. The vaccines seemingly are providing a higher level of protection than natural immunity from previous infection. I have also seen some reports that some people who have suffered with "long-haul" Covid are seeing benefits after receiving the vaccines. It appears the vaccines are helping to kick-start a stronger anti-viral response in some of these patients.

bigeric
^
"The research was funded in part by NIH's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and National Cancer Institute (NCI). Results were published on January 6, 2021, in Science."

"Lasting immunity found after recovery from COVID-19"
National Institute of Health
January 26, 2021

Has this been incorporated by Dr. Fauci, since he partially funded it.
WPNfamily
Daviewolf83 said:

WPNfamily said:

PackMom said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Little update. Basically 18 hours removed from the second Pfizer shot. Not really sure when the side affects start kicking in for people but as of now, I have an extremely sore arm and that is it. Hoping it stays that way and I have no other side affects.

ETA:. Without really my side affects, I'm beginning to wonder if they just shot me up with water this time around. So far, I had more side affects with the first shot.
Glad to hear you're doing well. If it makes you feel any better, my husband and I had no more than a sore arm after ours. He gave blood recently and it showed antibodies.

I am curious if after having Covid and now the vax if I will show super human levels of antibodies? I current feel like a science experiment!

WPNfamily - Here is a link to a good Twitter thread on this very question. In summary, the answer is you likely will see benefit from getting at least one dose of a vaccine if you were previously infected. The vaccines seemingly are providing a higher level of protection than natural immunity from previous infection. I have also seen some reports that some people who have suffered with "long-haul" Covid are seeing benefits after receiving the vaccines. It appears the vaccines are helping to kick-start a stronger anti-viral response in some of these patients.

This was the post that had me wanting to actually give blood so I can see the results. I will say since corona and now the vax I have been maybe a bit too cavalier in going and doing maskless.

I spoke to my next door neighbor this morning for a bit. He is a physician and runs a larger Novant internal medicine facility. He said 75% of his patients are on Medicare and he had 25 pass way over the last year. He said in the last month he has not any patient in the hospital due to Covid and said the early vax of older patients was a huge blessing to his practice.

He said the number of cases looks down because they are not testing regularly every patient and that the urgent cares are not either. His thought is we are not catching all the asymptotic cases that were causing high numbers. But he said he has zero concern of Covid at this point because the vulnerable groups have been vax'd and the vax is working great.
PackBacker07
Y'all means ALL.
RunsWithWolves26
Did feel a little sluggish yesterday. Only noticed it when I went outside and decided to do some work worund the house. Had to stop a few more times then normal just to rest. Outside of that, I am feeling fine. Feels good to have it over and done and know that in 12 days from now, I'm at full efficacy.
Bell Tower Grey

https://abc11.com/health/saline-injection-given-instead-of-covid-19-vaccine-in-nc/10527645/

MONROE, N.C. (WTVD) -- A North Carolina woman and her husband got a saline injection instead of the COVID-19 vaccine.

It happened at a Walgreens in Union County.

"You question how could that even happen," Lisa Strawn said in an interview with WCCB.

Strawn and her husband got vaccinated on March 20--or so they thought.
Hours after they received their vaccines, they got a call from Walgreens asking them to come back in.

"They called us and told us we needed to come back the next day, that there had been a mix-up with our shot."

Strawn said the pharmacists evidently forgot to mix the vaccine into the saline solution.

It remains unclear how may people got the wrong injection.
packgrad
Science

RunsWithWolves26
Still can't believe this thread has over 575,000 views and over 9,000 replies. Never would I have thought that last year when I started this thread, it would turn into this. That's just crazy.
Daviewolf83
What a year it has been. We have experienced a lot as a nation and as part of the global community. Many of us have learned more about viruses, our immune system, and vaccines than we ever thought we would need to know. I do believe the return to normal (I absolutely hate the term "new normal") is in sight. So many are suffering from PTSD that it will take them a long time to accept a return to normal and a recognition that the virus will be with us for years.

I am definitely ready. I am fully vaccinated, as are most everyone in my immediate family. We are very close to the point where anyone who wants a vaccine can get a vaccine. Just yesterday, it was reported that Wake County is ending its vaccination wait-list, since they are now at a point where people can just pick a time and get vaccinated. We definitely need to continue to push to get the last remaining people aged 65+ vaccinated and get the vaccination levels for the younger age groups to 50%.

Once we do those things, I believe we will see another significant drop in hospitalizations and deaths. Additionally, once we get to the point where 50% of the adult population is vaccinated and vaccines are available to anyone who wants one, the mask mandates and other restrictions on businesses should be lifted. Just this weekend, Israel lifted all outdoor mandates for masking. This is a sign of what awaits us.

The graph below shows how NC is doing in vaccinating the different age groups. This data comes is current as of Friday's update.

Daviewolf83
From Dr. Gandhi with regards to outdoor mask mandates. By the way, I 100% agree with her and I am disheartened by the comments she and others who have published the same advice have received over the past couple of days with regards to this recommendation.

I am afraid there are people who are going to continue to cling to the mask mandates (no matter how much better we are protected by increasing vaccination rates) and use every opportunity to shame and harass those who do not share their irrational views.

wilmwolf
The reply tweets to the original article they are discussing makes me lose hope for the future of humanity. People have gone full on neurotic. Cherry picking from the craziest response I saw (and glancing at this person's timeline verifies they actually feel this way):

"I don't go to the park because of all the maniac heavy breathers everywhere. It's miserable. I hate going anywhere rn"

It's a wonder some of these people lived till adulthood. I have no faith in any lightening if mask mandates in the near future because of people like this who may be in the small minority, but scream the loudest. Frankly, if you feel unsafe in a park, you are stupid, and we shouldn't make policy based on the fears of idiots.

I blame the messaging, which has at times painted mask wearing as a sort of miracle preventative measure, instead of acknowledging that it was just the easiest, though not foolproof, option to lower risk. People who are afraid to go for a walk without wearing a mask should feel free to continue to do so. Everyone else that has even a vague understanding of science should be able to go on with their lives.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
johntom
I wonder what's taking the last 30ish percent of the older population so long to get vaccinated? We're coming up on 6 months of availability to the top group and almost as long for the 2nd oldest group. I'm sure some of it is due to access in rural areas (transportation and internet access) and some of it is due to people who never would've gotten it to begin with. I thought the percentages for those groups would be higher by now though.

I did see that there's no wait list anymore which is a great thing considering the J&J was pulled last week. We're creeping up on 50% vaccinated which I know you've mentioned on here being a good number to open back up 100%. I agree with that number but I'm not sure politicians will. I'm hoping logic wins out but I'm beginning to worry there's no end in sight because many will not be satisfied until no one is dying of COVID which just isn't realistic.
johntom
wilmwolf80 said:

The reply tweets to the original article they are discussing makes me lose hope for the future of humanity. People have gone full on neurotic. Cherry picking from the craziest response I saw (and glancing at this person's timeline verifies they actually feel this way):

"I don't go to the park because of all the maniac heavy breathers everywhere. It's miserable. I hate going anywhere rn"

It's a wonder some of these people lived till adulthood. I have no faith in any lightening if mask mandates in the near future because of people like this who may be in the small minority, but scream the loudest. Frankly, if you feel unsafe in a park, you are stupid, and we shouldn't make policy based on the fears of idiots.

I blame the messaging, which has at times painted mask wearing as a sort of miracle preventative measure, instead of acknowledging that it was just the easiest, though not foolproof, option to lower risk. People who are afraid to go for a walk without wearing a mask should feel free to continue to do so. Everyone else that has even a vague understanding of science should be able to go on with their lives.
At this point, those people have very little excuse. The vaccine is available to just about anyone now. Go get vaccinated and/or stop your *****ing.
Wayland
wilmwolf80 said:

I have seen some internet chatter that left-leaning sites have been putting out articles pushing for lifting outside mask mandates. And that this might be setting the groundwork for a 'compromise' on the 100 days of masking. Lifting outdoor mandates, but continuing indoor.

All just internet conjecture really, but interesting to see a little shift.
wilmwolf
I can't speak to the crazy person I quoted, but in my life, the several people I know who are the loudest at criticizing the lifting of any restrictions are also against getting the vaccine, which defies rational thought. I wasn't super thrilled with getting the vaccine, but I understand that until we cross certain thresholds, the restrictions that have crippled many of my business owning friends won't be lifted, so I did what I could to help that along.
packgrad
Those people are easy to identify though. They have believe in science stickers on their cars and signs in their front yards.
Wayland
wilmwolf80 said:

I can't speak to the crazy person I quoted, but in my life, the several people I know who are the loudest at criticizing the lifting of any restrictions are also against getting the vaccine, which defies rational thought. I wasn't super thrilled with getting the vaccine, but I understand that until we cross certain thresholds, the restrictions that have crippled many of my business owning friends won't be lifted, so I did what I could to help that along.
It kind of varies by region for me. People I know in NC are mostly, let's just get the vaccine and move on with life, lift restrictions.

People I know that are in the North East and West Coast are most vocal about pro-vaccine are also the most vocal about not 'going back to normal' and continuing restrictions.

Daviewolf83
johntom said:

I wonder what's taking the last 30ish percent of the older population so long to get vaccinated? We're coming up on 6 months of availability to the top group and almost as long for the 2nd oldest group. I'm sure some of it is due to access in rural areas (transportation and internet access) and some of it is due to people who never would've gotten it to begin with. I thought the percentages for those groups would be higher by now though.

I did see that there's no wait list anymore which is a great thing considering the J&J was pulled last week. We're creeping up on 50% vaccinated which I know you've mentioned on here being a good number to open back up 100%. I agree with that number but I'm not sure politicians will. I'm hoping logic wins out but I'm beginning to worry there's no end in sight because many will not be satisfied until no one is dying of COVID which just isn't realistic.
I think some of it is related to:

1. Older people in rural areas who do not have good transportation options to vaccination sites.
2. People who do not live on the internet (tend to be a lot of older people, including my in-laws) and can not make internet appointments (my wife handled making appointments for her parents). WRAL was touting on their night news broadcasts that you could go to their website to find available appointments. Unfortunately, there are still people who do not have this level of access.
3. People who are used to getting vaccinations from their primary doctor. This is an area where I believe additional supply should now be going, to administer to this group of people.

The state will need to find creative ways to reach people who fall into these categories. I do believe there is an upper limit of 20-30% that will not get the vaccination, no matter how easy you make it. For example, there are many at my son's school who have no plans to get the vaccine, unless it is mandated by the university.
ncsualum05
I don't feel confident our state will lift any mask restrictions. I think they all need to be done away with once we hit a % of vaccinated. I'm fully vaccinated now and I hate wearing the mask at this point... it's just theater. But I know you can't go flashing a vaccine card around all the time either so people don't know if you have or not. But still at some point we just have to be OK. You have a choice. Look at Texas and Miss. The media was terrible to them last month as they want all doom and gloom and lifting restrictions is like mass murder. And yet things improved even more in the last month there. It's yet ANOTHER issue the democrats have been wrong on this year.

My county has been offering shots to anyone over 16 since the first of April. It's a choice.
wilmwolf
wilmwolf80 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Second shot of pfizer in the books for me. Was going to reward myself with some ice cream on my way home, but the DQ is closed, which is typical for my life. Well see how it goes for the next day or so.

So far so good. Didn't sleep worth a crap last night, which is the same as the first dose, and probably mental. Did have the chills some in the wee hours, and I believe I have a low fever currently, but not enough for me to dig out the thermometer. Have a *****ing headache, but between the lack of sleep and allergy season, I can't put that on the shot.

Napped on the couch some before the baseball game, and felt sluggish all day, but good enough to have a couple of bourbons tonight, so I'm ok.

So my sluggishness has continued for several days. I managed to walk a couple of slow miles on the treadmill this morning, but have zero energy.
bigeric
When the fully vaccinated reaches 50%, organize protests at each county seat as well as the Capitol,
and ........ burn your masks.

ncsualum05
bigeric said:

When the fully vaccinated reaches 50%, organize protests at each county seat as well as the Capitol,
and ........ burn your masks.

I'm in. Let's start a new "organization". FFM- full faces matter! We will start by promoting full faces shown for minorities. We'll make officials feel guilty for wanting to cover portions of beautiful black and brown faces. We'll call them racists. Then we will follow shortly with whites as well so that we stand in solidarity with them. FFM baby!
TheStorm
Daviewolf83 said:

3. People who are used to getting vaccinations from their primary doctor. This is an area where I believe additional supply should now be going, to administer to this group of people.

This should have been the approach with the 65+ crowd from the very start... I'm very happy that the vaccine is getting into as many arms as possible, but the entire process has been nothing but a **** show from the very start. There was no uniform process, and then at some point it basically became the "wild, wild west"... honestly, if I wasn't on this forum (where people give out those inside tips) I probably still wouldn't be vaccinated, because I wouldn't have known how to get one.

Yeah, I signed up for alerts from DHHS... nothing but crickets. Not. A. Damn. One. Once. Ever.

2nd dose of Pfizer tomorrow (Wednesday).
WarrenPeace
Still won't even start a 6 year old soccer game until all players and fans have their masks covering their face right here in Eastern NC. THE STUPIDIEST **** IVE EVER SEEN.
bigeric
Is there a virus resistant to sunlight?
packgrad
Texas continues to lead the way. I can only imagine how much positive coverage this would get if the governor was from the correct party for the media.

RunsWithWolves26
Question for the ones here smarter then me(which is basically everyone here). Why are the hospitalizations going up in NC now after all the vaccines have started and we are at 35% total vaccination for the state? Is it the younger crowd causing this now or is it something else? Makes me even more thankful that I am fully vaccinated, or will be in 11 more days.
ciscopack
Got my 2nd dose yesterday on Sunnybrook; this time a drive through in the 4 floor parking deck. Arm slightly sore...barely feel it really. A little tipsy yesterday after the vaccine; no problem.

Is herd immunity to COVID-19 possible?

ciscopack
ciscopack said:

Got my 2nd dose yesterday on Sunnybrook; this time a drive through in the 4 floor parking deck. Arm slightly sore...barely feel it really. A little tipsy yesterday after the vaccine; no problem.

Is herd immunity to COVID-19 possible?

"What has surprised me most is the incomprehensible rejection of science even among otherwise intelligent people," Poland said. "I'm truly flabbergasted to be watching this on a grand scale."

The split has become political. About 79% of self-identified Democrats say they have been vaccinated or intend to do so soon, compared with 46% of Republicans. About 3 in 10 Republicans say they will definitely not get vaccinated, according to a Kaiser Family Foundation poll.

Wayland
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Question for the ones here smarter then me(which is basically everyone here). Why are the hospitalizations going up in NC now after all the vaccines have started and we are at 35% total vaccination for the state? Is it the younger crowd causing this now or is it something else? Makes me even more thankful that I am fully vaccinated, or will be in 11 more days.

It appears to be slightly disproportionately Black/African Americans.

And regionally, while most of the state is flat to a slight rise, the region surrounding Meck has seen significant growth.

Is that case related or admission standards? For example Meck hospitals have gone from 27% of their COVID patients being in the ICU a month ago, to about 20% of their patients in the ICU. Statewide that number is about 24-25% right now.
ciscopack
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

The plot below shows the moving averages for the four key age groups contributing the most to hospitalizations. It appears there has been an increase in the average for the 60-69 age group that is likely driving the bulk of the increase. There was a small rise in the 70+ age group, but this on average has been flat for the past couple of weeks.

The good news behind these graphs is the overall convergence of the age groups, as they contribute to hospitalizations. This is most definitely a result of the vaccinations, particularly for those aged 60+. The key now is to get the vaccinations for the younger age groups (30-59 age groups) to first dose vaccinations above 50%. Also, the vaccination rates for the 60+ age groups have definitely slowed in the past week and they really need to get above 70%.

Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

The plot below shows the moving averages for the four key age groups contributing the most to hospitalizations. It appears there has been an increase in the average for the 60-69 age group that is likely driving the bulk of the increase. There was a small rise in the 70+ age group, but this on average has been flat for the past couple of weeks.

The good news behind these graphs is the overall convergence of the age groups, as they contribute to hospitalizations. This is most definitely a result of the vaccinations, particularly for those aged 60+. The key now is to get the vaccinations for the younger age groups (30-59 age groups) to first dose vaccinations above 50%. Also, the vaccination rates for the 60+ age groups have definitely slowed in the past week and they really need to get above 70%.

The admits seem pretty level. Wonder if after this bounce post the steep decline if discharges won't catch back up again.
Daviewolf83
I also thought people might find this to be interesting. The percentage of active cases that are hospitalized has been fairly consistent in the 3% to 4% range for quite a while. I think people are often surprised to find out that the actual percentage of people hospitalized when infected with Covid-19 is this low. Based on news reporting, I have found some people to be surprised at how low the percentage is, compared to their assumptions.

You can see there has been a small uptick in the percentage and this seems to coincide with the general increase we saw in overall hospitalizations in the past couple of weeks.

packwest
Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Pretty impressive numbers on vaccination.
First Page Last Page
Page 259 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.