Coronavirus

2,019,897 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Werewolf
Steve Williams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I think a lot of people probably fall into the middle of this argument. I know I do. I think it's very serious. I think a lot of people have died from this virus and there's no denying it. I also think it's been politicized and monetized and that's where a lot of people, including me, start to become suspicious.

The testing standards themselves are suspect in my opinion and have been established in such a way that people who would've never known they were sick otherwise are counted as a Covid case. Some forget that these same standards apply to people who end up dying. Cancer, congestive heart failure or a stroke could've killed you. But if you tested positive for Covid, you're a Covid death. It's that old argument of dying from Covid and dying with Covid. As such, I do believe that (again not minimizing the impact on some) the numbers are sensationalized to some degree. The counter argument to this is- you just don't care if people die. Not true. There has to be a balance. I would argue that if we all wore football helmets when we travel in cars that it would save lives. I doubt we'll see a push for that though.

Look at where we are right now- the government is literally giving away trillions of dollars right now to people to do absolutely nothing. My kids are a perfect example. They've not missed a day of work but Covid has been a financial pay day for them. Who wouldn't want that to last indefinitely? Florida and South Dakota are a couple of examples of places that didn't buy in and their numbers aren't any worse than anywhere else. It's hard to accept that there aren't larger forces and reasons behind the way this whole thing has been handled.
packgrad
Oh if Obama had been president, it would have been a blip on the radar. A bad flu variant. Zero shutdowns aside from nursing homes and medical facilities. It is and was an election infection.
Wayland
As of today NC DHHS will no longer provide any COVID data updates on Saturdays or Sundays.

We are starting to see the case plateau I was expecting to see in March (or at least it is now clearly evident). There are so many variables that go into day in and day out numbers, but this is what I had expected with a further decline in April. This number will never be zero, so at some point we need to give it up and focus on testing symptomatics.

As I mentioned, backlog death reporting continues to be an issue. 7 of the 15 deaths today are from over 3 weeks ago. One of them is from June 2, 2020... almost TEN MONTHS AGO.

I mentioned before that we were seeing Congregate deaths drop in the reports. Again, these deaths are by REPORTED date, NOT Date of Death. So it makes things murky. Nonetheless, this is the lowest week of 'REPORTED' Congregate deaths since July and the 4th lowest overall.

ncsualum05
Wayland said:

Oldsouljer said:

WolfPacker54 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

PackPA2015 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

So the CDC and the faux "experts" say you have to wear a mask even after being vaccinated. Meaning that the "vaccines" don't even work, as they even admit.

Now Fauci and the other faux "experts" are saying you need to double mask and wear two freaking masks. LMFAO. How long till they tell you to wear 3 masks at one time?!

These restrictions will never end. Why? Because it's not about a virus. This is not a real pandemic. This is all a gigantic fraud used to bring in a tyrannical (communist) agenda. Research "Event 201" where the elites planned ("war-gamed" a pandemic) this in late 2019 before this all "happened". Research United Nations agenda 2021 and agenda 2030, and "The Great Reset" agenda.
So, you are saying that the real life patients that we, as healthcare providers, see on a daily basis that are some of the sickest patients we have ever seen and test positive for COVID are all just...fake? These patients that we have treated for years by us and end up dying in an ICU by themselves are just...made up? You're saying that all of these healthcare providers and nurses that have died trying to fight COVID are what, paid actors that are now hiding on an island in the middle of the ocean somewhere?

Come on man. I know you like to dabble (maybe more dive right in) in conspiracy theories and the like, but this is insanity.
I'm saying that a lot of people are being misdiagnosed -- and told that they have "covid-19" when they don't. 99%+ of the people who they are claiming are dying "from covid-19" are the very elderly, over 80 years old, and people with pre-existing morbid diseases. Most of those deaths are actually being caused by their pre-existing serious health problems -- such as heart disease, etc. Then they are incorrectly and fraudulently labeling these as "covid" deaths. Even if you believe this is a real novel virus, you have to acknowledge that the testing for it is extremely unreliable. Many people who test "positive" are not sick at all. Tons of false positives. Also, many/most of the people they are counting as "covid cases" or deaths were not even tested at all...but were just "presumed" to have "covid".

And we know that hospitals have a financial incentive to label patients as having "covid" -- based on a law/bill passed that provides additional $$ to hospitals for "covid" cases.

The common cold and the flue are real diseases. What they are calling "covid" may be too. What I'm disputing is that it is as serious as they claim it is.

How do you explain 300,000 excess deaths compared to previous years then? In a year where less people were getting out or driving than any time in the past 50 years.

Seems like you are just calling all of the very obvious and verifiable stats "fake news" yet taking giant leaps in logic to fit your own theories. I know multiple people personally who have been hospitalized or killed by Covid. How is that normal, or just "the flu" as you say? I've never known anyone in my entire life that was killed or hospitalized by a cold or the flu. But I guess it's just some crazy coincidence that in 2020 I happen to know several.
I'm not at all sure that the stats are obvious OR verifiable. Personal case in point, I have good reason to believe I was infected in January of last year, yet I never reported it or was tested, thus I am probably one of a huge number of people who do not fall into the official stats. If so, the mortality rate is far lower than advertised and even the official CDC stats say that around 99% of people below age 70 survive and 95% of folks above 70 make it. That alone puts this coronavirus on par with the worst strains of influenza, and does not justify mask mandates and lockdowns outside of health facilities. Like our health provider friend has posted here, I can't think of anyone I personally know that has perished from influenza, though I know as a microbiologist how dangerous the influenza virus can be. And also, I DO know someone very near and dear to me that has succumbed to coronavirus. The reason why is that she had a very serious lung problem pre-existing. She knew she was at risk but she refused to stop living her pre-2019 life regardless. This dear lady loved liberty more than life and I think she set the example for how we should push back hard against these purveyors of scientism who seem bent on imposing nonsensical mandates upon the citizens of what should be a free Republic.

We have spent a year coddling and encouraging fear so that it now exists as a self-reinforcing virtue cult.

Instead of standing up and acknowledging the seriousness of this virus BUT ALSO the seriousness of the trade offs that we are making.

We have spent over a year abusing this country's children. Depriving them of education, socialization, and athletics. Treating them as on vectors of disease when they are the furthest from it. By making fear a virtue, we removed the massive disparate risk that exists. Come at me on this.

And these Fear Cultists are the most selfish of the selfish.

Anecdote: I have a college 'friend' (in California) who pulled her son from a hockey tournament because the tournament was not going to make the kids play masked. This same person got a vaccine in Group 1 in California as a 'sometimes substitute teacher in the past' for a school that is currently VIRTUAL. She is not letting her children back to school until they are vaccinated.

A healthy woman who jumps the vaccine line who is not at risk and perpetuates this fear is SELFISH. Puts herself ahead of the countless seniors and people with pre-conditions who have real risk. And there are thousands if not millions just like her because we have made this fear a virtue cult.

Lockdowns (as ineffective as they are in the grand scheme) are just a mechanism to support the irrational fear that the white collar elite zoom class has at a real cost and exaggerated death rate for the broader working class. Not to mention again the effects on children who are a not at risk or a significant vector of spread. A pure selfish act of fear induced cowardice of the 'zoom' elite.

I may be just having a day, but I am tired of indulging these people who are legitimately not at risk for this disease. Fauci perpetuating the myth that once you are vaccinated or post-infection (which he won't even acknowledge) that you aren't protected and you are still at a significant risk of spreading the disease. Life will never be 100% free of COVID, this will be endemic (as is the Russian Flu (corona virus) or Spanish Flu) today.

As much as I have despised Scott Gottlieb for the early lockdown panic crap he pushed (and I certainly am not 100% on board with him now), at least he has finally figured some of where we are out.

Let's get through and get people vaccinated. We have seen great positive signs here in NC with rapidly decreasing hospitalizations in the 65+ and congregate communities. Show that, show the way out. Stop trying to scare or shame people into a vaccine. Show the positives, let them make a choice, and then move on.

The damage that the COVID virus has done has been immense. The damage that COVID policy has done is likely even greater and hiding in the shadows. Yes, there have been 100,000s of from COVID deaths but the numbers of excess deaths that are not from COVID or are being classified as 'with' COVID may be just as great if not greater. And ignoring the future life years lost from education, economic, delayed care, or mental health from policy is just short sighted.

This was always going to be a **** situation. We've allowed fear and politics to drive horrible policy decisions, instead of sitting down and acknowledging the seriousness of the situation and that we needed to make policy based on the totality of public health NOT COVID alone.

I am done with coddling fear. It is not healthy and we as a society need to acknowledge that instead of encouraging the fear to continue. Time to live life again, it is too short.

I have lost friends and family due to cruel circumstances. Lives cut too short by fate. Stroke, heart disease, accidental, suicide, overdoes, cancer, bacterial infection, etc., you name it.. we all probably have. A lot of those in the prime of life and as I said. I don't know why so many of these people that were taken too soon also shone so brightly in life, but they did. Every one of them was unfair. COVID or not about 3 million people die a year in the U.S.

Stop peddling and encouraging the fear of the next bogeyman, variant, or whatever is in the shadows.
Acknowledge the seriousness of the situation.

BUT

STOP MAKING FEAR A VIRTUE

Let the children into the sun NOW!! Release any and all restrictions to them.

Vaccinate those that want it (show it is having a REAL positive effect).

Let people live. Life is for living.

I have certainly made a lot of adjustments in my life to account for and manage risk, but I never stopped spending time with my parents. I took my family on the trip of a lifetime. Hell, we even unapologetically visited my wife's grandmother on her birthday because it had been almost a year since we had seen her and every DAY is a gift at her age and family visits are what helps her get to the next one. Do we take extra care and awareness regarding our own health, yes, but it doesn't mean we need to stop living.

I am sorry for all the loved ones lost due to COVID, each one is tragic. But I am sorry for all the life that wasn't lived, the experiences that were lost, all the last days of the non-COVID deaths lived out in fear.

Not even sure what I was trying to say anymore. But I digress.

/rant.

Dude... I think I'd run through a brick wall for you! That was Jimmy V level right there!
Everpack
Wayland said:

Oldsouljer said:

WolfPacker54 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

PackPA2015 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

So the CDC and the faux "experts" say you have to wear a mask even after being vaccinated. Meaning that the "vaccines" don't even work, as they even admit.

Now Fauci and the other faux "experts" are saying you need to double mask and wear two freaking masks. LMFAO. How long till they tell you to wear 3 masks at one time?!

These restrictions will never end. Why? Because it's not about a virus. This is not a real pandemic. This is all a gigantic fraud used to bring in a tyrannical (communist) agenda. Research "Event 201" where the elites planned ("war-gamed" a pandemic) this in late 2019 before this all "happened". Research United Nations agenda 2021 and agenda 2030, and "The Great Reset" agenda.
So, you are saying that the real life patients that we, as healthcare providers, see on a daily basis that are some of the sickest patients we have ever seen and test positive for COVID are all just...fake? These patients that we have treated for years by us and end up dying in an ICU by themselves are just...made up? You're saying that all of these healthcare providers and nurses that have died trying to fight COVID are what, paid actors that are now hiding on an island in the middle of the ocean somewhere?

Come on man. I know you like to dabble (maybe more dive right in) in conspiracy theories and the like, but this is insanity.
I'm saying that a lot of people are being misdiagnosed -- and told that they have "covid-19" when they don't. 99%+ of the people who they are claiming are dying "from covid-19" are the very elderly, over 80 years old, and people with pre-existing morbid diseases. Most of those deaths are actually being caused by their pre-existing serious health problems -- such as heart disease, etc. Then they are incorrectly and fraudulently labeling these as "covid" deaths. Even if you believe this is a real novel virus, you have to acknowledge that the testing for it is extremely unreliable. Many people who test "positive" are not sick at all. Tons of false positives. Also, many/most of the people they are counting as "covid cases" or deaths were not even tested at all...but were just "presumed" to have "covid".

And we know that hospitals have a financial incentive to label patients as having "covid" -- based on a law/bill passed that provides additional $$ to hospitals for "covid" cases.

The common cold and the flue are real diseases. What they are calling "covid" may be too. What I'm disputing is that it is as serious as they claim it is.

How do you explain 300,000 excess deaths compared to previous years then? In a year where less people were getting out or driving than any time in the past 50 years.

Seems like you are just calling all of the very obvious and verifiable stats "fake news" yet taking giant leaps in logic to fit your own theories. I know multiple people personally who have been hospitalized or killed by Covid. How is that normal, or just "the flu" as you say? I've never known anyone in my entire life that was killed or hospitalized by a cold or the flu. But I guess it's just some crazy coincidence that in 2020 I happen to know several.
I'm not at all sure that the stats are obvious OR verifiable. Personal case in point, I have good reason to believe I was infected in January of last year, yet I never reported it or was tested, thus I am probably one of a huge number of people who do not fall into the official stats. If so, the mortality rate is far lower than advertised and even the official CDC stats say that around 99% of people below age 70 survive and 95% of folks above 70 make it. That alone puts this coronavirus on par with the worst strains of influenza, and does not justify mask mandates and lockdowns outside of health facilities. Like our health provider friend has posted here, I can't think of anyone I personally know that has perished from influenza, though I know as a microbiologist how dangerous the influenza virus can be. And also, I DO know someone very near and dear to me that has succumbed to coronavirus. The reason why is that she had a very serious lung problem pre-existing. She knew she was at risk but she refused to stop living her pre-2019 life regardless. This dear lady loved liberty more than life and I think she set the example for how we should push back hard against these purveyors of scientism who seem bent on imposing nonsensical mandates upon the citizens of what should be a free Republic.

We have spent a year coddling and encouraging fear so that it now exists as a self-reinforcing virtue cult.

Instead of standing up and acknowledging the seriousness of this virus BUT ALSO the seriousness of the trade offs that we are making.

We have spent over a year abusing this country's children. Depriving them of education, socialization, and athletics. Treating them as on vectors of disease when they are the furthest from it. By making fear a virtue, we removed the massive disparate risk that exists. Come at me on this.

And these Fear Cultists are the most selfish of the selfish.

Anecdote: I have a college 'friend' (in California) who pulled her son from a hockey tournament because the tournament was not going to make the kids play masked. This same person got a vaccine in Group 1 in California as a 'sometimes substitute teacher in the past' for a school that is currently VIRTUAL. She is not letting her children back to school until they are vaccinated.

A healthy woman who jumps the vaccine line who is not at risk and perpetuates this fear is SELFISH. Puts herself ahead of the countless seniors and people with pre-conditions who have real risk. And there are thousands if not millions just like her because we have made this fear a virtue cult.

Lockdowns (as ineffective as they are in the grand scheme) are just a mechanism to support the irrational fear that the white collar elite zoom class has at a real cost and exaggerated death rate for the broader working class. Not to mention again the effects on children who are a not at risk or a significant vector of spread. A pure selfish act of fear induced cowardice of the 'zoom' elite.

I may be just having a day, but I am tired of indulging these people who are legitimately not at risk for this disease. Fauci perpetuating the myth that once you are vaccinated or post-infection (which he won't even acknowledge) that you aren't protected and you are still at a significant risk of spreading the disease. Life will never be 100% free of COVID, this will be endemic (as is the Russian Flu (corona virus) or Spanish Flu) today.

As much as I have despised Scott Gottlieb for the early lockdown panic crap he pushed (and I certainly am not 100% on board with him now), at least he has finally figured some of where we are out.

Let's get through and get people vaccinated. We have seen great positive signs here in NC with rapidly decreasing hospitalizations in the 65+ and congregate communities. Show that, show the way out. Stop trying to scare or shame people into a vaccine. Show the positives, let them make a choice, and then move on.

The damage that the COVID virus has done has been immense. The damage that COVID policy has done is likely even greater and hiding in the shadows. Yes, there have been 100,000s of from COVID deaths but the numbers of excess deaths that are not from COVID or are being classified as 'with' COVID may be just as great if not greater. And ignoring the future life years lost from education, economic, delayed care, or mental health from policy is just short sighted.

This was always going to be a **** situation. We've allowed fear and politics to drive horrible policy decisions, instead of sitting down and acknowledging the seriousness of the situation and that we needed to make policy based on the totality of public health NOT COVID alone.

I am done with coddling fear. It is not healthy and we as a society need to acknowledge that instead of encouraging the fear to continue. Time to live life again, it is too short.

I have lost friends and family due to cruel circumstances. Lives cut too short by fate. Stroke, heart disease, accidental, suicide, overdoes, cancer, bacterial infection, etc., you name it.. we all probably have. A lot of those in the prime of life and as I said. I don't know why so many of these people that were taken too soon also shone so brightly in life, but they did. Every one of them was unfair. COVID or not about 3 million people die a year in the U.S.

Stop peddling and encouraging the fear of the next bogeyman, variant, or whatever is in the shadows.
Acknowledge the seriousness of the situation.

BUT

STOP MAKING FEAR A VIRTUE

Let the children into the sun NOW!! Release any and all restrictions to them.

Vaccinate those that want it (show it is having a REAL positive effect).

Let people live. Life is for living.

I have certainly made a lot of adjustments in my life to account for and manage risk, but I never stopped spending time with my parents. I took my family on the trip of a lifetime. Hell, we even unapologetically visited my wife's grandmother on her birthday because it had been almost a year since we had seen her and every DAY is a gift at her age and family visits are what helps her get to the next one. Do we take extra care and awareness regarding our own health, yes, but it doesn't mean we need to stop living.

I am sorry for all the loved ones lost due to COVID, each one is tragic. But I am sorry for all the life that wasn't lived, the experiences that were lost, all the last days of the non-COVID deaths lived out in fear.

Not even sure what I was trying to say anymore. But I digress.

/rant.

Somebody get this man a pulpit!
metcalfmafia
Bravo sir.
metcalfmafia
I went out last night and I will just say that the bars on Glenwood have basically said **** it. No mask enforcement and no crowd limits (at least it appeared to me)
Civilized
metcalfmafia said:

I went out last night and I will just say that the bars on Glenwood have basically said **** it. No mask enforcement and no crowd limits (at least it appeared to me)

My observation last weekend for St. Patty's too.
packgrad

Wayland
Credit to @kerpen on Twitter. As of yesterday's data.

% 65+ with one dose by state.

% with complete vaccination.

statefan91
packgrad
Getting close to pool season. Wonder what Herr Cooper is going to do there. It was nice last summer being able to go to the pool (that we ****ing pay for I can't believe I just said it was nice we were allowed to go) but the reservation system got very old very quick. Hopefully we're fully open by then so it will be unnecessary.
Daviewolf83
packgrad said:

Getting close to pool season. Wonder what Herr Cooper is going to do there. It was nice last summer being able to go to the pool (that we ****ing pay for I can't believe I just said it was nice we were allowed to go) but the reservation system got very old very quick. Hopefully we're fully open by then so it will be unnecessary.
My opinion, based on current metrics and considering pools are outdoors, they should be fully open this Summer, with no masking required.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

Based on the data out of the UK, the US should be using all available doses to get a single dose into as many people as possible and delaying the second vaccine dose (for Moderna and Pfizer) for more weeks between doses. The UK delays doses by 12 weeks.
PackPA2015
Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

Based on the data out of the UK, the US should be using all available doses to get a single dose into as many people as possible and delaying the second vaccine dose (for Moderna and Pfizer) for more weeks between doses. The UK delays doses by 12 weeks.

I tend to agree. However, the one drawback would be making sure people get back in 12 weeks for that second dose. Not sure if that would hurt that or not.
Oldsouljer
packgrad said:

Perhaps He or his health advisor Dr. Mengele will tout the reductions in drownings that come with closed pools.
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

I tend to agree. However, the one drawback would be making sure people get back in 12 weeks for that second dose. Not sure if that would hurt that or not.
I do agree with your concern regarding the need to make sure people return for a second dose, but some of the data I have seen published over the weekend is compelling. Here's an example:

PackPA2015
Wow, pretty impressive for sure.

I am very impressed NC has almost 51% of 65+ fully vaccinated. That is an outstanding number.
ncsualum05
Daviewolf83 said:

packgrad said:

My opinion, based on current metrics and considering pools are outdoors, they should be fully open this Summer, with no masking required.
My country club locally had their pool wide open last summer. No masks (why in the summer heat around water?) and they did reservation blocks for about 2 weeks and then got rid of that ***** Not one case ever got found there nor did the pool ever have to close. It was great.... summer almost felt normal.
PackPA2015
ncsualum05 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

packgrad said:

My country club locally had their pool wide open last summer. No masks (why in the summer heat around water?) and they did reservation blocks for about 2 weeks and then got rid of that ***** Not one case ever got found there nor did the pool ever have to close. It was great.... summer almost felt normal.
Basically anything done outdoors is going to be relatively low risk. As many have said on here, we did not provide enough education (partly because we were unsure and partly due to being wrong on original theories) on what events can occur throughout the pandemic. We are improving that, at least I am trying to in my clinic, in some regard.

I wouldn't recommend having a 10K+ concert outside just yet, but most activities outdoors will be just fine and should be encouraged. Although, those large events are going to come very soon, I believe.
TheStorm
ncsualum05 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

packgrad said:

Ours was the same way... limited attendence for the first couple of weeks and then realized that they didn't have to due to overall demand being no more / no less than it ever was.
packgrad
TheStorm said:

ncsualum05 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

packgrad said:

Ours was the same way... limited attendence for the first couple of weeks and then realized that they didn't have to due to overall demand being no more / no less than it ever was.

Our demand was the same, but they still wouldn't let people enter without a reservation. It was ridiculous. Not the kids fault as they were just doing what they were told.
TheStorm
I finally got both my wife and I scheduled yesterday...turned out we were both considered essential front line workers by the State of North Carolina (I knew she was, but I didn't realize that I was)...

I had no earthly idea that I was finally going to have to literally stalk the Walgreens site 24/7 over the weekend, after casually trying on and off for the last two weeks (there has to be a better way than what they have setup right now) just to be able to finally get them scheduled (I'm 58, she's 55)... at least we are now scheduled for both of them, second round exactly four (4) weeks after the first dose.

Ready to be done with this **** . I'm going to have a real summer this year.

*Anybody tried icing their arm down yet immediately after the shot to see if it helps avoid (or lesson) the arm soreness?
ncsualum05
PackPA2015 said:

ncsualum05 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

packgrad said:

Basically anything done outdoors is going to be relatively low risk. As many have said on here, we did not provide enough education (partly because we were unsure and partly due to being wrong on original theories) on what events can occur throughout the pandemic. We are improving that, at least I am trying to in my clinic, in some regard.

I wouldn't recommend having a 10K+ concert outside just yet, but most activities outdoors will be just fine and should be encouraged. Although, those large events are going to come very soon, I believe.
The only thing they did was check temps at the gate.

Now I go down to BHI a lot and they have their panties in a wad down there. The club but also the whole island. They want masks when you go to the pool, reservation blocks, limited capacity the whole works. I don't know if they plan to change that this summer or not. It is a vacation place so I know that's a little different. Hopefully given what we know now and where we are people will lighten up around the summer activities (concerts aside).
ncsualum05
TheStorm said:

I finally got both my wife and I scheduled yesterday...turned out we were both considered essential front line workers by the State of North Carolina (I knew she was, but I didn't realize that I was)...

I had no earthly idea that I was finally going to have to literally stalk the Walgreens site 24/7 over the weekend, after casually trying on and off for the last two weeks (there has to be a better way than what they have setup right now) just to be able to finally get them scheduled (I'm 58, she's 55)... at least we are now scheduled for both of them, second round exactly four (4) weeks after the first dose.

*Anybody tried icing their arm down yet immediately after the shot to see if it helps avoid (or lesson) the arm soreness?
Yeah pretty much ever since they opened to group 3 just about anyone that works for a living can get a shot. Distribution has been so good that you really shouldn't feel bad about getting in there and getting it done. Maybe not in all areas so I shouldn't say that but in my county if you want one you can get one and I didn't even have a line where I went.
Daviewolf83
ncsualum05 said:

TheStorm said:

Yeah pretty much ever since they opened to group 3 just about anyone that works for a living can get a shot. Distribution has been so good that you really shouldn't feel bad about getting in there and getting it done. Maybe not in all areas so I shouldn't say that but in my county if you want one you can get one and I didn't even have a line where I went.
I am one of those people who fall into Group 5 and the guidance has not changed at all. As a reminder, I am 61, in good health, and have worked from home since last March. I will try to get my vaccination in April (assuming they move to Group 5 then) and I am happy to get any of the currently available options. My wife is in Group 3 and has had her first dose. She gets her second dose this Saturday. My daughter is in Group 4 and she has an appointment scheduled for this week, but she has to drive to Fayetteville to get it (she lives in Raleigh). She could not find any appointments available in the Raleigh area and she has been checking daily for a couple of weeks. She has a chronic medical condition and her treatments make her immuno-deficient, so she falls into Group 4. My son was told by his coaches to try and get it if he can through a local Walgreens or health department. The teams are not planning any immediate mass vaccinations. His university is going to try and have some mass vaccinations on campus in early April, depending on available supply. He may get it during one of those sessions, if he can not arrange to get it sooner.
Cthepack
My son is a freshman at State and we got a letter saying on campus students can get vaccinated the end of March. If I remember the dates correctly. I do not remember anything about availability of vaccine.
Daviewolf83
Vaccine update today. AztraZeneca is expected to apply for FDA approval of their vaccine very soon. They have concluded the Phase 3 trial for the US and are reporting good results. The trial involved 32,449 adult participants, each receiving 2 doses, spaced 4 weeks apart. For those involved in the trial, there were 5 cases of severe COVID-19 illness and all of these cases occurred in the placebo group. The results of the study indicate an efficacy of 79% and an efficacy of 80% for those aged 65+. There were also no reports of blood clots. This was something that recently lead to a brief halt in the use of the vaccine in Europe.

If the FDA does not approve the vaccine for use, they should definitely donate the stockpiled doses to other nations. They did release a few million already, since the trail was still on-going in the US.
ncsualum05
Daviewolf83 said:

ncsualum05 said:

TheStorm said:

I am one of those people who fall into Group 5 and the guidance has not changed at all. As a reminder, I am 61, in good health, and have worked from home since last March. I will try to get my vaccination in April (assuming they move to Group 5 then) and I am happy to get any of the currently available options. My wife is in Group 3 and has had her first dose. She gets her second dose this Saturday. My daughter is in Group 4 and she has an appointment scheduled for this week, but she has to drive to Fayetteville to get it (she lives in Raleigh). She could not find any appointments available in the Raleigh area and she has been checking daily for a couple of weeks. She has a chronic medical condition and her treatments make her immuno-deficient, so she falls into Group 4. My son was told by his coaches to try and get it if he can through a local Walgreens or health department. The teams are not planning any immediate mass vaccinations. His university is going to try and have some mass vaccinations on campus in early April, depending on available supply. He may get it during one of those sessions, if he can not arrange to get it sooner.
I don't know what you do but I guess if you can work remotely all the time then maybe you are group 5. I can't work remotely with my job and neither can my wife. I think you can probably try and get one about anytime now though.
PackPA2015
In a study run at Clemson throughout 2020, researchers found that a "surveillance-based informative testing" or SBIT was a great way to monitor and reduce COVID outbreaks on campus. This basically consisted of testing all students in a residence hall if someone tested positive that lived there. This would be suggested to replace weekly testing of all students.

Preventing COVID on College Campuses

Here, the author discusses how best (their opinion) to open up and lessen restrictions. They base their opening up on vaccination rates in that particular area to lessen the possibility of new variants or increasing cases.

Discussion on Lessening Restrictions
wilmwolf
I iced mine Saturday and Sunday after my shot on Friday. Still sore some today, but not awful.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

In a study run at Clemson throughout 2020, researchers found that a "surveillance-based informative testing" or SBIT was a great way to monitor and reduce COVID outbreaks on campus. This basically consisted of testing all students in a residence hall if someone tested positive that lived there. This would be suggested to replace weekly testing of all students.

Preventing COVID on College Campuses

Here, the author discusses how best (their opinion) to open up and lessen restrictions. They base their opening up on vaccination rates in that particular area to lessen the possibility of new variants or increasing cases.

Discussion on Lessening Restrictions
As I mentioned in past posts, my son's university (Wake Forest) has been testing all students every week, following a large outbreak at the beginning of the Spring semester. There was a lot of worry and angst from parents and many students during the early part of the outbreak with some calling for all in-person classes to cancelled and many wanting the school to completely shut-down and go to all remote learning for the rest of the semester.

The university held firm, kept in-person classes in place (they are about half in-person and half online this semester), quarantined those infected in off-campus facilities, and quarantined those who were contact traced on campus. They had a Zoom call with one of the infectious disease doctors (Dr. Ohl of Wake Forest Baptist Hospital - someone I have mentioned regularly and like a lot) with all parents and students, to calm their fears and to discuss the science behind what they were doing. Of course, some people (parents and students) said he was not telling people the truth, since he did not support shutting down the school.

As of the today's report, Wake Forest has 6 known active cases among students and staff (again, they are testing every student weekly). The current percent positive prevalence on campus is 0.0%. At the peak of the outbreak, they had several hundred infected students and have had a total of 932 infections reported this semester. Wake Forest has conducted over 15K tests this semester and just last week they conducted over 2,000 tests. Given current low levels of infection, I suspect they may return to the random testing policy they used in the Fall semester. It worked fairly well, until the seasonality rise in cases kicked in during the last month of the Fall semester.

Here's a link to the university's Covid-19 dashboard that I check regularly:

Wake Forest University Covid-19 Dashboard

SexualChocolate
Thanks Davie for the great info in here.
Daviewolf83
Here are the latest vaccination updates for the US and NC (Data source: Bloomberg Vaccination Tracker):

US Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 156,765,472
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 126,509,736 <== 24.9% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 80.7%

NC Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 4,932,123
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 4,064,069 <== 25.3% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 82.4%

I thought you might like to see how NC is doing in vaccinating the population by age group, so I created the following graph, using data from the NCDHHS website. I used 70% as the upper threshold for the percentage vaccinated, since this is considered the level for herd immunity.

RunsWithWolves26
It appears the biden administration is not expecting J&J to produce the amount of vaccine they promised by the end of this month. Honestly, that's downright pathetic imo.
First Page Last Page
Page 243 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.