Coronavirus

2,018,861 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Werewolf
statefan91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You and I both know how dumb the average person, and then you have to consider that there's 50% of people that are dumber than that. I don't necessarily trust everyone to use their best judgement .

There are reports that the CDC is likely to release new studies that indicate 3 ft. of social distancing w/mask is sufficient and schools opening has been something continually talked about. Most State's are allowing outdoor gatherings and sports to have fans in attendance. There is no draconian lockdown of these things, it's being left to the State's, isn't that what everyone wants?
wilmwolf
I'm getting the vaccine (first shot Friday actually), but reducing my risk of getting covid or almost eliminating the risk of getting a severe form of it are not necessarily high on my list of reasons for doing so. My primary reason is protecting those around me, mostly from a professional liability standpoint since my business requires me to be in and around others in their homes, and just a human decency standpoint of not wanting to unknowingly get someone sick. Other reasons include: doing my part to increase the numbers of immunized people to hopefully affect policies such as those allowing gatherings and removing mask mandates, getting my little ID card so I can travel if I so choose, and low on the list is my own personal health.
PackPA2015
Daviewolf83 said:

statefan91 said:

What would you have them say based on your understanding of the vaccination levels, transmissibility, variants, and seasonality of the virus?

Not being smart, I just feel like the guidance they gave to allow small gatherings was welcomed and want to know what else you would have them come out with?
Tell everyone to wear a mask and open up the economy now (this includes getting all kids back in school full time). Once we get to 50% of the population vaccinated, mask mandates should go away. I am basing this on the current seasonality trends we see in the virus, declining hospitalizations and cases (declined for over 70 days), the declining percent positivity in testing, and on-going vaccination rates.
These are my thoughts exactly. Increasing vaccination rates should be priority #1. This is the way out of the pandemic. Once we are there, feel no shame or worry about stopping the mask mandate. But we have to get there first. Stopping it now is dangerous, in mine and many epidemiologists' opinions.
Daviewolf83
PackPA2015 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

statefan91 said:

What would you have them say based on your understanding of the vaccination levels, transmissibility, variants, and seasonality of the virus?

Not being smart, I just feel like the guidance they gave to allow small gatherings was welcomed and want to know what else you would have them come out with?
Tell everyone to wear a mask and open up the economy now (this includes getting all kids back in school full time). Once we get to 50% of the population vaccinated, mask mandates should go away. I am basing this on the current seasonality trends we see in the virus, declining hospitalizations and cases (declined for over 70 days), the declining percent positivity in testing, and on-going vaccination rates.
These are my thoughts exactly. Increasing vaccination rates should be priority #1. This is the way out of the pandemic. Once we are there, feel no shame or worry about stopping the mask mandate. But we have to get there first. Stopping it now is dangerous, in mine and many epidemiologists' opinions.
I think we will be at 50% of the population vaccinated in NC in the June timeframe (early June). It could actually be sooner if the expected supply materializes and is higher than currently projected. April and May should be big vaccination months.
Cthepack
wilmwolf80 said:

I'm getting the vaccine (first shot Friday actually), but reducing my risk of getting covid or almost eliminating the risk of getting a severe form of it are not necessarily high on my list of reasons for doing so. My primary reason is protecting those around me, mostly from a professional liability standpoint since my business requires me to be in and around others in their homes, and just a human decency standpoint of not wanting to unknowingly get someone sick. Other reasons include: doing my part to increase the numbers of immunized people to hopefully affect policies such as those allowing gatherings and removing mask mandates, getting my little ID card so I can travel if I so choose, and low on the list is my own personal health.
Just got my first dose today and for the same reasons. I work with a number of different people and travel and do not want to get anyone sick.
statefan91
Daviewolf83
As most know, the US should hit 100M doses administered in the first 100 days of the Biden administration today. When President Biden took office, the US had already administered approximately 27M doses and were administering approximately 1M+ doses per day. With improvements to supply, the US is now administering approximately 2.5M doses per day.

Since we have met the 100M doses in 100 days goal, I am shifting my tracking graphs for the US and NC to show the total doses administered, since the first doses were administered and not starting on Inauguration Day. As I pointed out when I started the tracking, we were on track to administered 100M doses in 100 days, so it was not a good goal to select. As it stands now, I believe we will have administered approximately 160M doses by the end of April.

Here are the latest vaccination updates for the US and NC (Data source: Bloomberg Vaccination Tracker):

US Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 151,083,561
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 115,730,008 <== 22.7% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 76.6%

NC Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 4,709,047
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 3,724,856 <== 18.2% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 79.1%

In other news:

1. As someone mentioned in a post yesterday, the CDC is expected to revise spacing guidelines for schools, based on a study that came out weeks ago. This is not unexpected, since the CDC got called out by the people who did the study. They said the CDC did not apply the results of the study correctly when they came out with their last school opening guidelines and they went public with this disagreement a little over a week ago.

2. Nationwide, the decline in hospitalizations and deaths have been sharper for those age groups who are older, likely showing the effect of the vaccines. As I mentioned yesterday, NC is seeing a very definite decline in the percentage of people hospitalized who are over 70 years old. This is good, since this age group has been the biggest contributor to hospitalizations and deaths.

3. Some believe we may see a small rise in cases, based on the continued growth in the UK variant. Some of the models also say the increase will be small, due to the growing vaccine administration. In the UK and Israel, where the UK variant is the most predominant, case growth has been tamped down by the vaccines. In the EU, where vaccinations are running well behind Israel, the UK, and the US, they are seeing a spike in cases.

4. Since the AstraZeneca vaccine is not approved in the US and is unlikely to be approved for the foreseeable future, the US government has decided to send millions of doses that have been stockpiled to Mexico and Canada.

5. As I mentioned in a post a couple of days ago, there is approximately a 12 day lag between the time the vaccine gets distributed and the vaccines get administered. The good news is we are continuing to see a growth in vaccine supply, as manufacturers improve their efficiency of manufacturing and as the J&J vaccine supply continues to ramp up.

US Cumulative Vaccines Administered (Bloomberg Data Tracker):

NC Cumulative Vaccines Administered (Bloomberg Data Tracker):

Wayland
Positive reporting note today.

With a NC COVID ICU census of 238, that is a new low since that value was first reported in early June. Previous low was 244 on August 31.
RunsWithWolves26
I'm not to bright. Can you explain this for me. Basically, dumb it down for me. Thanks!
Wayland
RunsWithWolves26 said:

I'm not to bright. Can you explain this for me. Basically, dumb it down for me. Thanks!
NC DHHS started reporting COVID ICU patients as a separate metric from COVID Hospitalizations on June 4, 2021.

On the first day this number was reported, there were 271 COVID ICU patients in NC hospitals. The lowest that number has been since was Aug 31, 2020 when it was 244. (although at this point it looks like they retroactively changed that to 239, but on the actual date it was reported as 244).

Until today where the number of COVID ICU in NC was reported at 238.

This number PEAKED at 880 on January 15, 2021

I believe COVID hospitalizations reported INCLUDES this number, so of the 970 patients hospitalized today who at one point were COVID positive, 238 of them are ICU paitents.
RunsWithWolves26
Thank you! That's good news so we won't hear anything about it from the great cooper I'm assuming.
Wayland
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Thank you! That's good news so we won't hear anything about it from the great cooper I'm assuming.

Definitely a positive to see the number of the 'most critical' patients in the hospitals go down.

Also, with regards to reported Congregate deaths and possible vaccine impacts. Every Saturday I compile the weekly deaths by setting in NC. Even with the heavy backlog (many deaths reported on any given day by NC DHHS occurred weeks if not months ago), this week is on pace to be the lowest number of Congregate deaths since July. But again, that is all dependent on tomorrow's numbers.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

NC DHHS started reporting COVID ICU patients as a separate metric from COVID Hospitalizations on June 4, 2021.

On the first day this number was reported, there were 271 COVID ICU patients in NC hospitals. The lowest that number has been since was Aug 31, 2020 when it was 244. (although at this point it looks like they retroactively changed that to 239, but on the actual date it was reported as 244).

I believe COVID hospitalizations reported INCLUDES this number, so of the 970 patients hospitalized today who at one point were COVID positive, 238 of them are ICU paitents.
Here's the number of Covid-19 patients in ICU, in graphical format. I put a line on today's number, so you can see we have basically equaled the minimum set back in late August. My chart uses the most current reporting and not the data reported from months ago.

Again, why have we not removed all restrictions on what people can do? The stay-at-home advice should go away. The limitations on the number of people in bars, restaurants, and at sporting events should go away. Wear the mask for another couple of months, get to 50% of the population vaccinated and masks should also go away.

GuerrillaPack
So the CDC and the faux "experts" say you have to wear a mask even after being vaccinated. Meaning that the "vaccines" don't even work, as they even admit. Also, similar to the flu "vaccine" (that also is totally ineffective), they are saying that the covid "vaccine" is only "effective" for around 6-8 months -- and if you want to get jabbed, you have to do it every 6-8 months or whatever.

Also, the clown Fauci and the other faux "experts" are saying you need to double mask and wear two freaking masks. LMFAO. How long till they tell you to wear 3 masks at one time?!

These restrictions will never end. Why? Because it's not about a virus. This is not a real pandemic. This is all a gigantic fraud used to bring in a tyrannical (communist) agenda. Research "Event 201" where the elites planned ("war-gamed" a pandemic) this in late 2019 before this all "happened". Research United Nations agenda 2021 and agenda 2030, and "The Great Reset" agenda.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
PackPA2015
GuerrillaPack said:

So the CDC and the faux "experts" say you have to wear a mask even after being vaccinated. Meaning that the "vaccines" don't even work, as they even admit.

Now Fauci and the other faux "experts" are saying you need to double mask and wear two freaking masks. LMFAO. How long till they tell you to wear 3 masks at one time?!

These restrictions will never end. Why? Because it's not about a virus. This is not a real pandemic. This is all a gigantic fraud used to bring in a tyrannical (communist) agenda. Research "Event 201" where the elites planned ("war-gamed" a pandemic) this in late 2019 before this all "happened". Research United Nations agenda 2021 and agenda 2030, and "The Great Reset" agenda.
So, you are saying that the real life patients that we, as healthcare providers, see on a daily basis that are some of the sickest patients we have ever seen and test positive for COVID are all just...fake? These patients that we have treated for years by us and end up dying in an ICU by themselves are just...made up? You're saying that all of these healthcare providers and nurses that have died trying to fight COVID are what, paid actors that are now hiding on an island in the middle of the ocean somewhere?

Come on man. I know you like to dabble (maybe more dive right in) in conspiracy theories and the like, but this is insanity.
GuerrillaPack
PackPA2015 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

So the CDC and the faux "experts" say you have to wear a mask even after being vaccinated. Meaning that the "vaccines" don't even work, as they even admit.

Now Fauci and the other faux "experts" are saying you need to double mask and wear two freaking masks. LMFAO. How long till they tell you to wear 3 masks at one time?!

So, you are saying that the real life patients that we, as healthcare providers, see on a daily basis that are some of the sickest patients we have ever seen and test positive for COVID are all just...fake? These patients that we have treated for years by us and end up dying in an ICU by themselves are just...made up? You're saying that all of these healthcare providers and nurses that have died trying to fight COVID are what, paid actors that are now hiding on an island in the middle of the ocean somewhere?

Come on man. I know you like to dabble (maybe more dive right in) in conspiracy theories and the like, but this is insanity.
I'm saying that a lot of people are being misdiagnosed -- and told that they have "covid-19" when they don't. 99%+ of the people who they are claiming are dying "from covid-19" are the very elderly, over 80 years old, and people with pre-existing morbid diseases. Most of those deaths are actually being caused by their pre-existing serious health problems -- such as heart disease, etc. Then they are incorrectly and fraudulently labeling these as "covid" deaths. Even if you believe this is a real novel virus, you have to acknowledge that the testing for it is extremely unreliable. Many people who test "positive" are not sick at all. Tons of false positives. Also, many/most of the people they are counting as "covid cases" or deaths were not even tested at all...but were just "presumed" to have "covid".

And we know that hospitals have a financial incentive to label patients as having "covid" -- based on a law/bill passed that provides additional $$ to hospitals for "covid" cases.

The common cold and the flu are real diseases. What they are calling "covid" may be too. What I'm disputing is that it is as serious as they claim it is.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Colonel Armstrong
Daviewolf83 said:

Wayland said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Here's the number of Covid-19 patients in ICU, in graphical format. I put a line on today's number, so you can see we have basically equaled the minimum set back in late August. My chart uses the most current reporting and not the data reported from months ago.

Again, why have we not removed all restrictions on what people can do? The stay-at-home advice should go away. The limitations on the number of people in bars, restaurants, and at sporting events should go away. Wear the mask for another couple of months, get to 50% of the population vaccinated and masks should also go away.

Looks stable to me
RunsWithWolves26
This thread was going so well...
PackPA2015
WolfPacker54
GuerrillaPack said:

PackPA2015 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

I'm saying that a lot of people are being misdiagnosed -- and told that they have "covid-19" when they don't. 99%+ of the people who they are claiming are dying "from covid-19" are the very elderly, over 80 years old, and people with pre-existing morbid diseases. Most of those deaths are actually being caused by their pre-existing serious health problems -- such as heart disease, etc. Then they are incorrectly and fraudulently labeling these as "covid" deaths. Even if you believe this is a real novel virus, you have to acknowledge that the testing for it is extremely unreliable. Many people who test "positive" are not sick at all. Tons of false positives. Also, many/most of the people they are counting as "covid cases" or deaths were not even tested at all...but were just "presumed" to have "covid".

And we know that hospitals have a financial incentive to label patients as having "covid" -- based on a law/bill passed that provides additional $$ to hospitals for "covid" cases.

The common cold and the flue are real diseases. What they are calling "covid" may be too. What I'm disputing is that it is as serious as they claim it is.

How do you explain 300,000 excess deaths compared to previous years then? In a year where less people were getting out or driving than any time in the past 50 years.

Seems like you are just calling all of the very obvious and verifiable stats "fake news" yet taking giant leaps in logic to fit your own theories. I know multiple people personally who have been hospitalized or killed by Covid. How is that normal, or just "the flu" as you say? I've never known anyone in my entire life that was killed or hospitalized by a cold or the flu. But I guess it's just some crazy coincidence that in 2020 I happen to know several.
PackPA2015
GuerrillaPack said:

PackPA2015 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

The common cold and the flue are real diseases. What they are calling "covid" may be too. What I'm disputing is that it is as serious as they claim it is.
Yes, the virus affects those over 65 and with chronic medical health problems much more so, but we have labs and imaging and physical exam that tell us more than likely what caused those deaths, so no it is not because they have COPD or congestive heart failure. Something "else" pushed them over the edge.

The testing is not unreliable. Sensitivities in our studies (multiple studies by multiple entities) have been around 95% meaning 95% of the time they will be positive in an individual who truly has the illness. Specificity in our studies for molecular testing has been around 95% as well meaning the result will be negative in a person that actually does not have the illness. The only way that a person is counted as a COVID positive in our data is if they have had a positive test. I can put a diagnosis of COVID-19 in a patient's chart whether they have it or not and it does not matter at all. The data collectors have no access to that. They only have access to the test result, so someone would have had to be tested to receive that diagnosis. That is just how medical coding works. Providers code. Administration does not. Nothing is charged to insurance without a provider signing off on it, so providers would have to be compensated as well and trust me, we are not.

Yes, COVID is extremely serious. I have had many patients pass away from the illness. These are real patients that I have seen with my eyes, have tested with our own tests, and have personally seen the result and resulting treatment. Nothing we tried worked, because they were so sick. These ranged from 30-year-olds without medical problems to 65+ with chronic medical problems. 500K have died from this illness in the U.S. The mortality rate for COVID in the U.S. is 3%. That is 30 times worse than the worst years of the flu. I have many patients whom have the long-term symptoms - still tachycardic (elevated HR), still short of breath with minimal exertion, or have permanent lung damage from COVID. This is confirmed by many tests and specialists along the way.

Just please stop with this nonsense, man. I know, as a provider, I am sick and tired of people passing around this conspiracy theory bull. We hate the masks and the restrictions as much as anyone. They suck, but this virus is real and it is really, really nasty.
GuerrillaPack
PackPA2015 said:

Just please stop with this nonsense, man. I know, as a provider, I am sick and tired of people passing around this conspiracy theory bull. We hate the masks and the restrictions as much as anyone. They suck, but this virus is real and it is really, really nasty.
So I'm not allowed to have my own opinion? BULL****. I have the right to my own opinion on this. I'm not accepting the tyranny being enacted over this. Never.

You can have your opinion. And I can have mine.
GuerrillaPack
WolfPacker54 said:

How do you explain 300,000 excess deaths compared to previous years then? In a year where less people were getting out or driving than any time in the past 50 years.

Seems like you are just calling all of the very obvious and verifiable stats "fake news" yet taking giant leaps in logic to fit your own theories. I know multiple people personally who have been hospitalized or killed by Covid. How is that normal, or just "the flu" as you say? I've never known anyone in my entire life that was killed or hospitalized by a cold or the flu. But I guess it's just some crazy coincidence that in 2020 I happen to know several.
I suspect that the claim of "300,000 excess" deaths is more manipulation of the data/numbers...just like the tens/hundreds of thousands of false diagnoses/cases.

And no one has ever been killed or hospitalized over the flu?! Are you serious?! An average of 30,000 deaths per year every year are blamed on the flu, as even the CDC admits:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Quote:

CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 61,000 deaths annually since 2010

Until this past year, when *surprise* they claim that "covid" has "eradicated the flu". Yeah right.
PackPA2015
GuerrillaPack said:

PackPA2015 said:

So I'm not allowed to have my own opinion? BULL****. I have the right to my own opinion on this. I'm not accepting the tyranny being enacted over this. Never.

You can have your opinion. And I can have mine.
You're allowed to have an opinion and you can express that opinion to others, sure. I'm just telling you that yours is wrong on so many levels.

You can argue that COVID has been sensationalized by some to use to their advantage, sure. You can argue, as some have, that mask mandates do not actually improve mask wearing adherence. However, you cannot argue that COVID is not real. You cannot argue that COVID is not serious or dangerous. The data, the human lives lost, the medical workers that have seen this first hand all prove those theories (and I use this term very loosely) wrong.

ETA: to address your above point, we use the same flu tests every year. Our hospital system, as almost all hospital systems across the country do, test for influenza and COVID in any patient that comes to us with similar symptoms. So no, it is not just the flu. This is my last post, because anything I say, you will just deny with no evidence at all to back up your opinion.
Ground_Chuck
You can have your own opinions, you just can't have your own facts.
Civilized
Ground_Chuck said:

You can have your own opinions, you just can't have your own facts.

I'm definitely stealing that line.
bigeric
^
Daniel Patrick Moynihan thanks you.
wilmwolf
First dose of pfizer about an hour ago. Arm feels numb around where the shot was. Everyone I know has either gotten moderna or J&J so I'm charting new ground amongst my friends and family. Would've preferred moderna, but ready to get it over with so I didn't want to have to reschedule.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packgrad
Potato, Potahtoe. First step done. At this point who cares which one if we can put this mess to bed.
Daviewolf83
wilmwolf80 said:

First dose of pfizer about an hour ago. Arm feels numb around where the shot was. Everyone I know has either gotten moderna or J&J so I'm charting new ground amongst my friends and family. Would've preferred moderna, but ready to get it over with so I didn't want to have to reschedule.
My wife had Pfizer. First dose she was just a little sore at site of injection, but had redness the size of a silver dollar that persisted for a about a week. No other issues. Hopefully, you will not experience any other issues.
wilmwolf
Arm is sore and I have a dull headache this morning. I have some vague symptoms consistent with an allergic reaction, ears itch, lump in my throat, tingling sensation, but as I'm allergic to half the things on Earth I can't say for sure it's related to the shot, or not just entirely psychosomatic.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Oldsouljer
WolfPacker54 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

PackPA2015 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

I'm not at all sure that the stats are obvious OR verifiable. Personal case in point, I have good reason to believe I was infected in January of last year, yet I never reported it or was tested, thus I am probably one of a huge number of people who do not fall into the official stats. If so, the mortality rate is far lower than advertised and even the official CDC stats say that around 99% of people below age 70 survive and 95% of folks above 70 make it. That alone puts this coronavirus on par with the worst strains of influenza, and does not justify mask mandates and lockdowns outside of health facilities. Like our health provider friend has posted here, I can't think of anyone I personally know that has perished from influenza, though I know as a microbiologist how dangerous the influenza virus can be. And also, I DO know someone very near and dear to me that has succumbed to coronavirus. The reason why is that she had a very serious lung problem pre-existing. She knew she was at risk but she refused to stop living her pre-2019 life regardless. This dear lady loved liberty more than life and I think she set the example for how we should push back hard against these purveyors of scientism who seem bent on imposing nonsensical mandates upon the citizens of what should be a free Republic.
Steve Williams
Staff
Oldsouljer said:

WolfPacker54 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

PackPA2015 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

I'm not at all sure that the stats are obvious OR verifiable. Personal case in point, I have good reason to believe I was infected in January of last year, yet I never reported it or was tested, thus I am probably one of a huge number of people who do not fall into the official stats. If so, the mortality rate is far lower than advertised and even the official CDC stats say that around 99% of people below age 70 survive and 95% of folks above 70 make it. That alone puts this coronavirus on par with the worst strains of influenza, and does not justify mask mandates and lockdowns outside of health facilities. Like our health provider friend has posted here, I can't think of anyone I personally know that has perished from influenza, though I know as a microbiologist how dangerous the influenza virus can be. And also, I DO know someone very near and dear to me that has succumbed to coronavirus. The reason why is that she had a very serious lung problem pre-existing. She knew she was at risk but she refused to stop living her pre-2019 life regardless. This dear lady loved liberty more than life and I think she set the example for how we should push back hard against these purveyors of scientism who seem bent on imposing nonsensical mandates upon the citizens of what should be a free Republic.
Brings up a good point- when it comes to Covid I think for the most part you could boil people down into two groups...those that are afraid of dying and those that are afraid of not living.
Wayland
Oldsouljer said:

WolfPacker54 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

PackPA2015 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

We have spent a year coddling and encouraging fear so that it now exists as a self-reinforcing virtue cult.

Instead of standing up and acknowledging the seriousness of this virus BUT ALSO the seriousness of the trade offs that we are making.

We have spent over a year abusing this country's children. Depriving them of education, socialization, and athletics. Treating them as on vectors of disease when they are the furthest from it. By making fear a virtue, we removed the massive disparate risk that exists. Come at me on this.

And these Fear Cultists are the most selfish of the selfish.

Anecdote: I have a college 'friend' (in California) who pulled her son from a hockey tournament because the tournament was not going to make the kids play masked. This same person got a vaccine in Group 1 in California as a 'sometimes substitute teacher in the past' for a school that is currently VIRTUAL. She is not letting her children back to school until they are vaccinated.

A healthy woman who jumps the vaccine line who is not at risk and perpetuates this fear is SELFISH. Puts herself ahead of the countless seniors and people with pre-conditions who have real risk. And there are thousands if not millions just like her because we have made this fear a virtue cult.

Lockdowns (as ineffective as they are in the grand scheme) are just a mechanism to support the irrational fear that the white collar elite zoom class has at a real cost and exaggerated death rate for the broader working class. Not to mention again the effects on children who are a not at risk or a significant vector of spread. A pure selfish act of fear induced cowardice of the 'zoom' elite.

I may be just having a day, but I am tired of indulging these people who are legitimately not at risk for this disease. Fauci perpetuating the myth that once you are vaccinated or post-infection (which he won't even acknowledge) that you aren't protected and you are still at a significant risk of spreading the disease. Life will never be 100% free of COVID, this will be endemic (as is the Russian Flu (corona virus) or Spanish Flu) today.

As much as I have despised Scott Gottlieb for the early lockdown panic crap he pushed (and I certainly am not 100% on board with him now), at least he has finally figured some of where we are out.

Let's get through and get people vaccinated. We have seen great positive signs here in NC with rapidly decreasing hospitalizations in the 65+ and congregate communities. Show that, show the way out. Stop trying to scare or shame people into a vaccine. Show the positives, let them make a choice, and then move on.

The damage that the COVID virus has done has been immense. The damage that COVID policy has done is likely even greater and hiding in the shadows. Yes, there have been 100,000s of from COVID deaths but the numbers of excess deaths that are not from COVID or are being classified as 'with' COVID may be just as great if not greater. And ignoring the future life years lost from education, economic, delayed care, or mental health from policy is just short sighted.

This was always going to be a **** situation. We've allowed fear and politics to drive horrible policy decisions, instead of sitting down and acknowledging the seriousness of the situation and that we needed to make policy based on the totality of public health NOT COVID alone.

I am done with coddling fear. It is not healthy and we as a society need to acknowledge that instead of encouraging the fear to continue. Time to live life again, it is too short.

I have lost friends and family due to cruel circumstances. Lives cut too short by fate. Stroke, heart disease, accidental, suicide, overdoes, cancer, bacterial infection, etc., you name it.. we all probably have. A lot of those in the prime of life and as I said. I don't know why so many of these people that were taken too soon also shone so brightly in life, but they did. Every one of them was unfair. COVID or not about 3 million people die a year in the U.S.

Stop peddling and encouraging the fear of the next bogeyman, variant, or whatever is in the shadows.
Acknowledge the seriousness of the situation.

BUT

STOP MAKING FEAR A VIRTUE

Let the children into the sun NOW!! Release any and all restrictions to them.

Vaccinate those that want it (show it is having a REAL positive effect).

Let people live. Life is for living.

I have certainly made a lot of adjustments in my life to account for and manage risk, but I never stopped spending time with my parents. I took my family on the trip of a lifetime. Hell, we even unapologetically visited my wife's grandmother on her birthday because it had been almost a year since we had seen her and every DAY is a gift at her age and family visits are what helps her get to the next one. Do we take extra care and awareness regarding our own health, yes, but it doesn't mean we need to stop living.

I am sorry for all the loved ones lost due to COVID, each one is tragic. But I am sorry for all the life that wasn't lived, the experiences that were lost, all the last days of the non-COVID deaths lived out in fear.

Not even sure what I was trying to say anymore. But I digress.

/rant.

packgrad
I guess Texas is doing ok since lifting the mandate and opening up.
First Page Last Page
Page 242 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.