Coronavirus

1,980,442 Views | 19755 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Werewolf
Glasswolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Scheduled to get my 1st dose vaccine today along with my wife. Will let everyone know how it goes.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Daviewolf83
Daviewolf83 said:

Vaccine update today. AztraZeneca is expected to apply for FDA approval of their vaccine very soon. They have concluded the Phase 3 trial for the US and are reporting good results. The trial involved 32,449 adult participants, each receiving 2 doses, spaced 4 weeks apart. For those involved in the trial, there were 5 cases of severe COVID-19 illness and all of these cases occurred in the placebo group. The results of the study indicate an efficacy of 79% and an efficacy of 80% for those aged 65+. There were also no reports of blood clots. This was something that recently lead to a brief halt in the use of the vaccine in Europe.

If the FDA does not approve the vaccine for use, they should definitely donate the stockpiled doses to other nations. They did release a few million already, since the trail was still on-going in the US.
Vaccine Update - Significant and Disappointing News:

In an update to an earlier post from yesterday, late last night the NIH raised a concern about the AstraZeneca vaccine results reported yesterday. They believe the results reported include "outdated" information and they have instructed AstraZeneca to update their data before submitting it for FDA approval. The updates could lower the reported efficacy for the vaccine.

As I mentioned before, I do believe the AZ vaccine will face more scrutiny than the previous vaccine submittals. Given the bad news regarding the J&J manufacturing issues (thanks Runswithwolves for the update), we will need a third vaccine to achieve the goal of providing a vaccine dose to anyone who wants one by May. Reportedly, J&J has only shipped 4.3M doses this month, but they had promised to supply 20M by the end of the month.

Further complicating this news are reports that vaccination administration has slowed in some areas and there is a believe some of the slowing is due to people waiting for the J&J vaccine to become available before being vaccinated. Just yesterday, it was reported that some counties and health systems in NC had turned down an offer of additional doses, since they are having trouble filling slots with people in the approved vaccination groups.

There is a fourth vaccine from Novavax that is close to completing the Phase 3 trials and they are expected to submit results in early April. Given the latest news on AZ and J&J, we may need the fourth vaccine candidate to reach the vaccination goals.
SexualChocolate
Getting second dose of Moderna next Thurs. I did not have a problem with the first dose but my wife became flush and started to sweat and shake a little. I got her some water and then we went and got some food and by the time we finished eating, she was fine. Really hope the second dose goes well for her. One of her coworkers was in the bed for two days after the second shot of Moderna.
packgrad
Sounds like we need to open to more groups if counties are having problems filling their appointments.
ncsualum05
My county is already open to group 4. I can't imagine it will be long before it's completely open to whoever. I went last week and had no line. Shots are there to be had at our local convention center, both hospitals in our county, and I know people who've gone to Walgreens and had the J&J. I've also heard some clinics are carrying them. There's shots to be had if you look for it. I live in a very conservative area with a lot of rural parts so there will probably be a decent portion of population that doesn't get it.
packofwolves
ncsualum05 said:

My county is already open to group 4. I can't imagine it will be long before it's completely open to whoever. I went last week and had no line. Shots are there to be had at our local convention center, both hospitals in our county, and I know people who've gone to Walgreens and had the J&J. I've also heard some clinics are carrying them. There's shots to be had if you look for it. I live in a very conservative area with a lot of rural parts so there will probably be a decent portion of population that doesn't get it.

Which county did you receive your shot, which hospitals? Here in wake county, I have only been able to get on wait list to be able to schedule a shot.
PackPA2015
Anecdotal evidence, but I have heard a handful of patients waiting on the J&J. Some of these have been in the 65+ group. We have some doses in our county, but there is no way, at this point, to guarantee a J&J. Trying to get them just to go and get whichever dose they can get, but most of the time you can't change their mind.
RunsWithWolves26
I know several that have the line of thinking as well. They have told me without any doubt they will wait until the J&J is available to them. They don't want t have to get two shots and some have even said it's not worth it to get two shots and lose work time, time out of their day, etc when the government is saying nothing will change when you get vaccinated.
PackPA2015
This is a study to determine what is the best way to limit transmission through airline travel and population spread through travel. Routine rapid testing lowered cases/transmission by 36%. Authors suggest that an abbreviated post-travel quarantine with testing is likely needed to prevent population spread when traveling from high-incidence to low-incidence area.

Strategies to Prevent Transmission through Airline Travel

Opinion piece on strategies to keep schools and universities open. They believe in using rapid testing with quick responses to that testing with isolation of positive cases and contact tracing. Key Quote - "In one modelling study, same-day results were predicted to avert 80% of new transmissions, whereas a 7-day delay prevented only 5%."

Commentary on School Studies
Daviewolf83
packofwolves said:

ncsualum05 said:

Which county did you receive your shot, which hospitals? Here in wake county, I have only been able to get on wait list to be able to schedule a shot.
Cape Fear Valley Medical in the Fayetteville area is now vaccinating all groups, according to news reports last night.
packofwolves
Daviewolf83 said:

packofwolves said:

ncsualum05 said:

Cape Fear Valley Medical in the Fayetteville area is now vaccinating all groups, according to news reports last night.

Thanks. Just checked and no appointments available. Will check back periodically.
ncsualum05
packofwolves said:

ncsualum05 said:

Catawba.
NCSUBill
I got my 2 Moderna shots, son and DIL got J&J shot. Mu sore arm on 2nd shot cleared up in 30 hrs. Son felt wiped out for 48 hrs. DIL 72 hrs before she was ok ... all in Wake County.

Daughter got 2 Physer shots. 2nd shot took her 2 weeks to recover.. she has several serious diseases.
NCSUBill
Oldsouljer
NCSUBill said:

I got my 2 Moderna shots, son and DIL got J&J shot. Mu sore arm on 2nd shot cleared up in 30 hrs. Son felt wiped out for 48 hrs. DIL 72 hrs before she was ok ... all in Wake County.

Daughter got 2 Physer shots. 2nd shot took her 2 weeks to recover.. she has several serious diseases.

My Moderna exprience is similar to yours except that I've only had one shot. Not sure I'll get the second because I'll be out of town the week I'm supposed to get number 2 and I've heard they're strict about administering the second shot on schedule. Not too worried about it, pretty sure i was exposed in January 2020 and survived that, so......
PackBacker07
Y'all means ALL.
statefan91
Daviewolf83
statefan91 said:

I am happy to see Cooper and Cohen are finally moving in the right direction. As I have said, wear a mask and open everything up. It looks like the approach they are now taking and we should all be happy to see the progress.

Need to keep getting vaccine doses into arms as fast as possible and this is now the challenge. Keep encouraging your friends and families to get vaccinated, since it is the ticket to being fully open with no restrictions.
PackPA2015
Daviewolf83 said:

statefan91 said:

I am happy to see Cooper and Cohen are finally moving in the right direction. As I have said, wear a mask and open everything up. It looks like the approach they are now taking and we should all be happy to see the progress.

Need to keep getting vaccine doses into arms as fast as possible and this is now the challenge. Keep encouraging your friends and families to get vaccinated, since it is the ticket to being fully open with no restrictions.

Preach it brother!
BruceDouble
Got my 2nd dose of Pfizer Saturday with the wife. Lucky to be one of those people that got leftover doses early on. We're in our 30s, wife has pre existing condition which is why we were looking.

First shot no side effects other than sore arm for either of us.

2nd shot was 1:30pm Saturday. We both had mild fevers starting about 3am that night. Knocked me on my ass Sunday but just watched bball all day on the couch and ate too much. Fever lasted til about 10pm Sunday night then like a switch, felt normal. Both of us have felt fine since then.
Oldsouljer
PackPA2015 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

statefan91 said:

Preach it brother!
Minus the mask part
Glasswolf
Wife and I had our 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine. Didn't even feel it. No side effects at all
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Civilized
Right call.
Daviewolf83
Here are the latest vaccination updates for the US and NC (Data source: Bloomberg Vaccination Tracker):

US Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 164,380,806
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 128,217,029 <== 25.3% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 78.0%

NC Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 4,978,326
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 4,092,184 <== 25.5% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 82.2%

For NC, the chart below shows the percentage of the population vaccinated by key age groups. The chart shows the percentage of both partially vaccinated and fully vaccinated people. As I mentioned previously, I am using an upper limit of 70%, since this is considered the percentage required to reach herd immunity. Also, the percentage of those partially vaccinated differs from the Bloomberg percentage, since I am using the entire population for the calculation and not just those eligible for vaccination (ie., ages 16+).

ncsualum05
Daviewolf83 said:

Here are the latest vaccination updates for the US and NC (Data source: Bloomberg Vaccination Tracker):

US Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 164,380,806
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 128,217,029 <== 25.3% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 78.0%

NC Vaccinations:
Total Vaccination Doses Available: 4,978,326
Total Vaccination Dose Administered: 4,092,184 <== 25.5% of population have received 1st dose
Percentage of Available Doses Administered: 82.2%

For NC, the chart below shows the percentage of the population vaccinated by key age groups. The chart shows the percentage of both partially vaccinated and fully vaccinated people. As I mentioned previously, I am using an upper limit of 70%, since this is considered the percentage required to reach herd immunity. Also, the percentage of those partially vaccinated differs from the Bloomberg percentage, since I am using the entire population for the calculation and not just those eligible for vaccination (ie., ages 16+).

These numbers for overall and younger groups will shoot up soon now that more groups are open. Group 3 and 4 in most areas will have their 2nd shots by mid to late April so in a month it's going to look a lot different. My biggest takeaway though is the age group that we are most concerned with our almost to that 70% level now. Regardless of vaccination level among other groups perhaps our threshold to open up fully need only be that 65 and up group reaching 70%.
PackMom
Interesting article about vaccine development. A friend of mine used to work with Dr. Graham.

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2021/03/17/shot-in-the-arm-groundbreaking-covid-19-vaccine-research-by-alumnus-dr-barney-graham-began-at-vanderbilt-decades-ago/
packofwolves
For those who got vaccines, what process did you use? We are on a couple wait lists to be able to schedule an appointment (Wake, Durham). I have been looking at locations where you can get pfizer or moderna.

Also have been periodically checking for appointment openings in UNC/Rex locations, WakeMed locations and Capefear (Fayetteville) locations. I don't see a way to waitlist for these appointments.
Daviewolf83
The chart below builds on the last chart I posted on vaccines, by showing the number of daily hospital admissions for two key age groups, ages 60-69 and 70+. I chose these two age groups, since approximately 50% of those hospitalized daily come from this age group. At the peak in January, the percentage of hospitalizations coming from this age group was averaging more than 70%.

As you can see from the chart, the number of daily admits for the 70+ age group is now the same as the number of daily admits for the 60-69 age group. There does seem to be some plateauing now in the 60-69 age group and this is possibly due to the fact that only those aged 65+ are eligible under current age guidelines. It is possible the plateauing will remain for the 60-69 age group until NC opens up the vaccine to people aged 60-65.

Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

The chart below builds on the last chart I posted on vaccines, by showing the number of daily hospital admissions for two key age groups, ages 60-69 and 70+. I chose these two age groups, since approximately 50% of those hospitalized daily come from this age group. At the peak in January, the percentage of hospitalizations coming from this age group was averaging more than 70%.

As you can see from the chart, the number of daily admits for the 70+ age group is now the same as the number of daily admits for the 60-69 age group. There does seem to be some plateauing now in the 60-69 age group and this is possibly due to the fact that only those aged 65+ are eligible under current age guidelines. It is possible the plateauing will remain for the 60-69 age group until NC opens up the vaccine to people aged 60-65.

Really interesting chart.
Daviewolf83
packofwolves said:

For those who got vaccines, what process did you use? We are on a couple wait lists to be able to schedule an appointment (Wake, Durham). I have been looking at locations where you can get pfizer or moderna.

Also have been periodically checking for appointment openings in UNC/Rex locations, WakeMed locations and Capefear (Fayetteville) locations. I don't see a way to waitlist for these appointments.
If you are willing to drive, I did see this morning that CVS's in Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Asheboro, and Rocky Mount were reporting available slots. These may have been filled, but worth checking.
wilmwolf
Walgreens.com, check it all day every day. You have to have a Walgreens account, which is very easy to create. They only schedule appointments in three day blocks when they have the vaccine, so I had to wait for the appointment that I wanted (late Fridays) to open up. It only searches for appointments within a certain radius of the address you input, so if you don't mind driving a little to get it, you can play with the zip code and find shots in neighboring towns. I live in Wilmington, but by changing the city in the search box I was able to find shots in Burgaw and Wallace for instance. If you do it through them it automatically sets up your second appointment. When I was in there getting a shot, the lady did tell another person that they have a wait list for unused doses most days, but if you go that route you have to schedule your second shot on your own, which is also an option on their webpage, as it asks if you want to schedule both shots or just your second.Harris Teeter also recently started giving shots at their locations that have pharmacies, so you may want to look into that. My experience with trying to find shots for myself and others through local health departments, hospitals, etc. was that it was virtually impossible, so these retailers seem to be the best locations IMO unless you just happen upon it at one of the other places.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
statefan91
wilmwolf80 said:

Walgreens.com, check it all day every day. You have to have a Walgreens account, which is very easy to create. They only schedule appointments in three day blocks when they have the vaccine, so I had to wait for the appointment that I wanted (late Fridays) to open up. It only searches for appointments within a certain radius of the address you input, so if you don't mind driving a little to get it, you can play with the zip code and find shots in neighboring towns. I live in Wilmington, but by changing the city in the search box I was able to find shots in Burgaw and Wallace for instance. If you do it through them it automatically sets up your second appointment. When I was in there getting a shot, the lady did tell another person that they have a wait list for unused doses most days, but if you go that route you have to schedule your second shot on your own, which is also an option on their webpage, as it asks if you want to schedule both shots or just your second.Harris Teeter also recently started giving shots at their locations that have pharmacies, so you may want to look into that. My experience with trying to find shots for myself and others through local health departments, hospitals, etc. was that it was virtually impossible, so these retailers seem to be the best locations IMO unless you just happen upon it at one of the other places.
I have read on twitter that Walgreens usually opens up timeslots at 3am ET; not sure why that time specifically but that's what reporters who have been sharing vaccine locations have noted.
wilmwolf
So I was standing in my driveway this morning and sneezed, into my shirt as I've always done because I'm not a heathen. A guy happened to be walking by on the sidewalk, probably 150 feet from me, at that exact moment. He looked at me in horror and let out a noise like he was disgusted as he pulled up his mask that he had around his neck. SMH. Such an awful job has been done in making the average person understand how the Rona is transmitted and where you are at risk.
wilmwolf
That's possible, but my appointment opened up in the AM. I had checked it the previous night before I went to bed and there weren't any yet available, and when I checked it first thing the next morning, the next three days were open and I was able to schedule.
IseWolf22
packofwolves said:

My wife and I have had no luck so far in Wake county. On several wait lists hoping to hear something soon.
I've found openings outside Wake county, but the closest is over an hour of driving each way. Since we are pretty low risk, we have not pursued those.
PackMom
packofwolves said:

We went through Cone Health a while back. Now they have more locations, including Alamance, which sounds like it might be closer for you. Once you're on their wait list, they send you an email when appointments are available, and you click the link and select the location you want.

Cone Health
https://www.conehealth.com/covid-19-information/covid-19-vaccine-information/vaccine-appointment-scheduling/

At the moment, Cone is showing appointments for tomorrow in Reidsville and Friday in Reidsville and at the Greensboro Coliseum. Yes, I know that's a hike for those in Wake County. One of my kids lives there and hasn't found one yet, either.

FEMA mass vaccination center in Greensboro
https://www.guilfordcountync.gov/how-do-i/gso-mass-vax

Good luck!

First Page Last Page
Page 244 of 565

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.