Coronavirus

2,028,515 Views | 19873 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
Daviewolf83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ncsualum05 said:

Dmax95 said:

https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/tested-positive-covid-19-be-sure-ask-question

Interesting read. I for one tested positive and never had symptoms. Wife got it. Viral load is important
That was a really interesting video. I can't believe we are almost a year into this and I've never heard of that before. I don't know how I missed it b/c these boards provide great info... of course you won't see it on tv. But cycle thresholds... I'll be sure to ask those questions if I or my family members get tested.
You probably did miss it in all of the discussions. I posted a very detailed article from the NY Times a few months ago on this topic and there have been some follow-up posts on the topic. It was also subject of a news story on WRAL.

Bottom line - many experts who understand PCR testing believe the CT being used by many of the labs is too high and as a result, these tests are potentially identifying people who are positive for Covid-19 that are no longer contagious. The have specifically called out tests with CT greater than 30.

Mandy Cohen was asked about this a couple of weeks ago on one of her briefings and she deferred the thresholds back to the private testing houses. She said they are the ones who have decided on the proper threshold to use. It was interesting when she did this, since one of the labs highlighted in the NY Times article is a North Carolina state lab and not one of the private labs.
Dmax95
Daviewolf83 said:

ncsualum05 said:

Dmax95 said:

Interesting read. I for one tested positive and never had symptoms. Wife got it. Viral load is important
That was a really interesting video. I can't believe we are almost a year into this and I've never heard of that before. I don't know how I missed it b/c these boards provide great info... of course you won't see it on tv. But cycle thresholds... I'll be sure to ask those questions if I or my family members get tested.
You probably did miss it in all of the discussions. I posted a very detailed article from the NY Times a few months ago on this topic and there have been some follow-up posts on the topic. It was also subject of a news story on WRAL.

Bottom line - many experts who understand PCR testing believe the CT being used by many of the labs is too high and as a result, these tests are potentially identifying people who are positive for Covid-19 that are no longer contagious. The have specifically called out tests with CT greater than 30.

Mandy Cohen was asked about this a couple of weeks ago on one of her briefings and she deferred the thresholds back to the private testing houses. She said they are the ones who have decided on the proper threshold to use. It was interesting when she did this, since one of the labs highlighted in the NY Times article is a North Carolina state lab and not one of the private labs.
Sorry, I did miss that..191 pages now lol. Cheers!!!!!!
CLA327
Good morning Davie,

You may have mentioned this in your post about CT, but the NC State Lab of Public Health uses the ThermoFisher TaqPath Covid-19 Combo Kit. For that kit, the cutoff for positive clinical specimens is 37.
ncsualum05
Daviewolf83 said:

ncsualum05 said:

Dmax95 said:

Thanks Davie. YEP! I knew I missed it b/c this thread has delivered all info you've ever needed to know but it's hard to catch every page every day. Some of the info you guys provide is wonderful, a true service. Imagine if our news media provided info like this board.
ciscopack
packgrad said:

If this was posted a week or so ago when it came out, apologies.

Could chocolate or green tea fight Covid-19? NC State researchers think it's possible

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/12/01/covid-diet-fight-virus-chocolate-green-tea-grapes.html?ana=maz
Right on...

I eat a couple pieces of dark chocolate every day and I take a green tea supplement. I love muscadine grapes but generally only eat them when coming off the vine. I eat other grapes; I'll have to look for muscadines. I won't be drinking any Duplin muscadine Wines however!
Dmax95
Vitamin D. That's been the key for me and others in Denver, CO. For months taking D every night and then trying to get some extra sun. Exposed to a ton of people who tested positive. Luckily I haven't gotten it. Don't the articles on Vitamin D, but wife had a lot of good text about it from her medical journals back in May
packgrad
I take a daily multivitamin. Also take zinc. Are all vitamin D's the same? I wanted to buy some at Costco one day, but I want to say it was Vitamin D1, so I didn't get it.
PackPA2015
Vitamin D3 is recommended.
statefan91
I think the Costco one is D3; that's the one I bought a while back
packgrad
PackPA2015 said:

Thanks!
Colonel Armstrong
packgrad said:

A drug company thinks we didn't buy enough of their product, according to the NYT and anonymous sources. Shocker.

It actually makes sense to purchase smaller amounts of vaccines from different companies rather than almost all the doses from just one company.

Spread out the risk that a companies vaccine might not be as effective as another.
TheStorm
How did the Federal government know a) who would come up with the vaccine the quickest, and b) which company's vaccine will be the most effective, with the least side effects?

This **** is amazing.
AlleyPack
I've been taking a variety of supplements over the past few months to help with muscular blood flow (long story -- and not the dirty kind that you're thinking of, ha), but one is Vitamin D3 with Coconut Oil (for better absorption), so maybe I've gotten lucky and that's helped out.

Daviewolf83
Dmax95 said:

Vitamin D. That's been the key for me and others in Denver, CO. For months taking D every night and then trying to get some extra sun. Exposed to a ton of people who tested positive. Luckily I haven't gotten it. Don't the articles on Vitamin D, but wife had a lot of good text about it from her medical journals back in May
There is a doctor in the UK (Dr. John Campbell) who does almost daily updates on Covid-1 on YouTube and the impacts of the virus in various countries around the world. He also provides insight into different areas of study with regards to treatments and prevention in his updates.

Since the very early days, he has been focused on Vitamin D and its importance in helping the body to deal with a virus such as Covid. He has highlighted the fact that he takes it daily and has encouraged others to take it as well, after consulting with their doctors first. Some of the research on Vitamin D he has highlighted is compelling, but much of it is from limited studies that should definitely go through peer review.

For example, Dr. Campbell has pointed out on several instances that there are people living in certain geographies and people of specific races that are more susceptible to being Vitamin D deficient. In particular, this includes people living in higher latitude countries and people with darker skin. Both of these groups, as he points out, are impact by how well their bodies are able to process sunlight and turn it into naturally occurring Vitamin D. For these groups of people, he strongly encourages them to consider supplementing with Vitamin D.
Dmax95
Daviewolf83 said:

Dmax95 said:

There is a doctor in the UK (Dr. John Campbell) who does almost daily updates on Covid-1 on YouTube and the impacts of the virus in various countries around the world. He also provides insight into different areas of study with regards to treatments and prevention in his updates.

Since the very early days, he has been focused on Vitamin D and its importance in helping the body to deal with a virus such as Covid. He has highlighted the fact that he takes it daily and has encouraged others to take it as well, after consulting with their doctors first. Some of the research on Vitamin D he has highlighted is compelling, but much of it is from limited studies that should definitely go through peer review.

For example, Dr. Campbell has pointed out on several instances that there are people living in certain geographies and people of specific races that are more susceptible to being Vitamin D deficient. In particular, this includes people living in higher latitude countries and people with darker skin. Both of these groups, as he points out, are impact by how well their bodies are able to process sunlight and turn it into naturally occurring Vitamin D. For these groups of people, he strongly encourages them to consider supplementing with Vitamin D.
Great stuff...thanks
Daviewolf83
CLA327 said:

Good morning Davie,

You may have mentioned this in your post about CT, but the NC State Lab of Public Health uses the ThermoFisher TaqPath Covid-19 Combo Kit. For that kit, the cutoff for positive clinical specimens is 37.
I did not mention it specifically, but thanks for the reminder. I did recall reading the NC lab uses the ThermoFisher test, but I did not remember the specific threshold. I just remembered it being above the 30 threshold. I just went back and checked the article and it clearly called out a threshold of 37, which you specified in your post. It's good to know the NY Times got it right ;-)

For those that missed my earlier posts for the article, it is still available and it can be found at the URL below. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in this topic. I have also read a couple of studies on this topic, since it is getting some attention from scientists who understand the impact of CT on the testing results.

Your Coronavirus Test is Positive. Maybe It Shouldn't Be.

ciscopack
PackPA2015 said:

I take it and multivitamin also.
Daviewolf83
King Leary said:

packgrad said:

A drug company thinks we didn't buy enough of their product, according to the NYT and anonymous sources. Shocker.

It actually makes sense to purchase smaller amounts of vaccines from different companies rather than almost all the doses from just one company.

Spread out the risk that a companies vaccine might not be as effective as another.
I did see an interview yesterday with Alex Azar (head of HHS) regarding the US's plans to purchase the Pfizer vaccine. He pointed out that the US has an option to buy up to 500 million more doses of the Pfizer vaccine and is still in discussions with them about the purchase. He also said the US government is planning to purchase as much of the US manufactured vaccine first, before having it flow to other countries.

The US is already expecting 100 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine and 50 million of those doses are expected in the coming months. The government currently has contracts with six different vaccine manufacturers and expects to buy 100 million doses from the six manufacturers.

Given the super cold requirements of the Pfizer vaccine, I imagine the US government wants to focus on a wide variety of vaccines, since some will not require super cold storage. For example, the Moderna vaccine that is likely to be approved in a couple of weeks, only needs to be stored at refrigerator temperatures. This makes it more accessible to rural areas of the country that do not have the super cold storage facilities.
wilmwolf
Given the storage requirements for the Pfizer vaccine, is it safe to assume that it is the most costly to distribute? If that is the case, diversifying sources for the population would seem to be a smart move, contrary to what was implied in the OP.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
PackPA2015
ciscopack said:

PackPA2015 said:

Since I am providing patient care directly to COVID patients, I take a multivitamin, zinc, and Vitamin D3. I exercise in some capacity daily, drink 64 ounces of water at least per day, try to eat healthy based on the Mediterranean diet. So far *knock on wood*, I have been lucky enough not to have it. I have a preemie newborn at home, so trying to keep it out of our house for sure.
Dmax95
Both the phizer and moderna vaccines require -70 degree storage. That's going to be an issue. My wife's hospital in Denver Co the biggest in the surrounding area for 400 miles doesn't have a storage unit that can hold more than 30 doses. How they're going to store this stuff and transport it seems like a lot. The efficacy drops of not stored properly.
ciscopack

Margaret Keenan, 90, became the first patient in the United Kingdom to receive the Pfizer/BioNtech covid-19 vaccine
Dmax95
PackPA2015 said:

ciscopack said:

PackPA2015 said:

Since I am providing patient care directly to COVID patients, I take a multivitamin, zinc, and Vitamin D3. I exercise in some capacity daily, drink 64 ounces of water at least per day, try to eat healthy based on the Mediterranean diet. So far *knock on wood*, I have been lucky enough not to have it. I have a preemie newborn at home, so trying to keep it out of our house for sure.

Congrats to you and be safe!!!
statefan91
Dmax95 said:

Both the phizer and moderna vaccines require -70 degree storage. That's going to be an issue. My wife's hospital in Denver Co the biggest in the surrounding area for 400 miles doesn't have a storage unit that can hold more than 30 doses. How they're going to store this stuff and transport it seems like a lot. The efficacy drops of not stored properly.
I believe I heard an interview with the Project Manager for distribution for Operation Warp Speed say that they could be stored in dry ice for ~15 days as well.
Dmax95
Gotya. Wife has been out for a month now with Corona and vacation. Will likely here more about the vaccine this week.
ciscopack
Dmax95 said:

After the -70...

Stored in a refrigerator up to 1 week and to room temp. for injection. A lot of i's to dot to do it correctly.
Daviewolf83
Dmax95 said:

From an NPR article:

"Pfizer says its vaccine needs to be kept at minus 70 degrees Celsius and can last in a specialty freezer for up to six months. The specialty shippers can hold up to five "pizza box" trays of vials and be refreshed with dry ice every five days for up to 15 days to keep the vaccine at the right frozen temperature."

"Moderna says its vaccine candidate is stable at regular freezer temperature minus 20 degrees Celsius for up to six months, and after thawing it can last in the refrigerator for 30 days. It can also be kept at room temperature for up to 12 hours."
wolfman18
Cooper has a press conference this afternoon...chances we are shutdown again? I'd say pretty likely, right?
FlossyDFlynt

PackBacker07
Y'all means ALL.
packgrad
FlossyDFlynt said:

I refuse to even click on their link and reward them.
FlossyDFlynt
PackBacker07 said:

Not to try to stir the pot, but this is pretty standard operating procedure for healthcare. I usually cant step foot in a hospital this time of year without proof of a flu shot.
Wayland
packgrad said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

I refuse to even click on their link and reward them.
I am going to go on the record and say since no one anywhere has run out of hospital beds... the Triangle area of NC is not going to be the first.
Wayland
Curfew 10pm-5am

No alcohol after 9pm

New EO.

FlossyDFlynt
Science wins again!
First Page Last Page
Page 191 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.