Coronavirus

2,005,707 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by Werewolf
PackPA2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf80 said:

So, the fact that the flu has all but disappeared is because of masks et al, but those same measures aren't working to stop covid because people aren't following them? Just trying to make sure I've got it right. I have no doubt that everything we're doing has reduced the spread of flu, but the fact that the flu has gone away is kinda at least anecdotal, possibly maybe statistical proof that the majority of people are following the rules.
COVID is now hitting rural areas, especially WNC, much harder than before. Compliance with mask mandates, social distancing, etc. is much lower in these areas than more urban arenas. This is driving a lot of the numbers in NC at least.
wilmwolf
PackPA2015 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

So, the fact that the flu has all but disappeared is because of masks et al, but those same measures aren't working to stop covid because people aren't following them? Just trying to make sure I've got it right. I have no doubt that everything we're doing has reduced the spread of flu, but the fact that the flu has gone away is kinda at least anecdotal, possibly maybe statistical proof that the majority of people are following the rules.
COVID is now hitting rural areas, especially WNC, much harder than before. Compliance with mask mandates, social distancing, etc. is much lower in these areas than more urban arenas. This is driving a lot of the numbers in NC at least.
OK, so are the rural areas also experiencing a rise in the flu? And if not, why not? Masking, washing hands, social distancing etc. slows the transmission of viruses. If they aren't doing those things, then they should be experiencing a normal amount of cold and flu cases as well. If they aren't, why not?
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
PackPA2015
wilmwolf80 said:

PackPA2015 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

OK, so are the rural areas also experiencing a rise in the flu?
Not at this very moment. This is the very beginning of influenza season and we began giving the flu vaccine earlier than ever before. We have had higher flu vaccine rates in our area this year which has also helped tremendously lower cases so far. Typically in our area, we see a spike of influenza cases in late December and late February.

Again, it is very difficult to compare influenza and COVID, because they are so vastly different.
Mormad
packgrad said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

packgrad said:

James had drinks with a buddy, that he later learned was positive, for 4 hours without masks and didn't contract the virus. Virus gonna virus.

And for every case you come here and point out that fits your narririve, there are 3 more that don't. As I've stated before, my aunt had it, was around a couple dozen people for hours, close and in an unclosed area and none got it. I've also had people I know who wear a mask non stop and have gotten it. Just because one example fits your narrative, doesn't make your narririve right. You're anti mask, you've made that clear. I personally hate wearing a mask as well but my unbiased mind tells me with a mask on, my chances of stopping droplets from entering my body are better then without one. If it gives me and my wife who has pre existing conditions a better chance, I'm all for it.

It's funny how the post directly above mine demands everybody wear a mask (when everybody on here pretty much says they always wear a mask in public) because his family members got it, and I simply point out the site owner didn't wear a mask and didn't get it and this is your response. I wear my mask all the time out in public. Spare me the life lesson and narrative bull*****

A more interesting question is why didn't James get it? There are tons of potential answers to the question. Nobody knows the answer, but the guesses here would vary widely/wildly.
Mormad
https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/11/24/covid-19-controversial-trial-may-actually-show-that-masks-protect-the-wearer

Interesting read
wilmwolf
I'm not comparing them, but they are transmitted in similar ways. The measures that we are using to stop the spread of Covid undoubtedly stop the spread of the flu, but in places where people are not using those measures, flu should at least exist in some form, and it doesn't, and the discussion is about figuring out why. Flu vaccines may be up, but flu vaccines are not effective against all strains of the flu as you know. Logically, you would expect that at least one strain of the flu would exist somewhere that would be infecting people, not necessarily just here, speaking globally, but it seems that is not the case, and that doesn't make sense.
packgrad
Mormad said:

packgrad said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

packgrad said:

James had drinks with a buddy, that he later learned was positive, for 4 hours without masks and didn't contract the virus. Virus gonna virus.

And for every case you come here and point out that fits your narririve, there are 3 more that don't. As I've stated before, my aunt had it, was around a couple dozen people for hours, close and in an unclosed area and none got it. I've also had people I know who wear a mask non stop and have gotten it. Just because one example fits your narrative, doesn't make your narririve right. You're anti mask, you've made that clear. I personally hate wearing a mask as well but my unbiased mind tells me with a mask on, my chances of stopping droplets from entering my body are better then without one. If it gives me and my wife who has pre existing conditions a better chance, I'm all for it.

It's funny how the post directly above mine demands everybody wear a mask (when everybody on here pretty much says they always wear a mask in public) because his family members got it, and I simply point out the site owner didn't wear a mask and didn't get it and this is your response. I wear my mask all the time out in public. Spare me the life lesson and narrative bull*****

A more interesting question is why didn't James get it? There are tons of potential answers to the question. Nobody knows the answer, but the guesses here would vary widely/wildly.
Alcohol cures everything. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Mormad
wilmwolf80 said:

PackPA2015 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

OK, so are the rural areas also experiencing a rise in the flu? And if not, why not? Masking, washing hands, social distancing etc. slows the transmission of viruses. If they aren't doing those things, then they should be experiencing a normal amount of cold and flu cases as well. If they aren't, why not?

You are comparing the effectiveness of general virus avoidance measures across different viruses and assuming that 1. They are all or nothing measures, and 2. That the viruses, because they are viruses, act similarly. While at least partially disregarding the important facts that flu season is in its infancy and many received the flu shot early and it likely had some effect. It's apples and oranges IMHO. You are not alone in your "confusion" (for lack of coming up with a better word), friend. We in medicine are a little perplexed about this stuff, too and are trying to navigate it while finding and providing answers. Never seen anything quite like it from a purely medical, administrative, community,or political perspective.
PackPA2015
wilmwolf80 said:

I'm not comparing them, but they are transmitted in similar ways. The measures that we are using to stop the spread of Covid undoubtedly stop the spread of the flu, but in places where people are not using those measures, flu should at least exist in some form, and it doesn't, and the discussion is about figuring out why. Flu vaccines may be up, but flu vaccines are not effective against all strains of the flu as you know. Logically, you would expect that at least one strain of the flu would exist somewhere that would be infecting people, not necessarily just here, speaking globally, but it seems that is not the case, and that doesn't make sense.
It does exist, just in lower numbers than previous years at this point. We have less flu activity within schools, which are large spreaders of the virus, because of hybrid or remote schedules, social distancing, a much larger focus on hand washing, mask wearing with students and staff. We have higher vaccination rates than in previous years. We have focused on limiting large gatherings which are large spreads of influenza. When you have a less virulent virus and you focus on all of those things, you can see how it would not be spreading like it has in previous years.

I have never said that flu has disappeared. I said the season is lighter to this point, although the season is just beginning.
TheStorm
Mormad said:

packgrad said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

packgrad said:

I don't know, but didn't James say that the guy had tested negative twice earlier that same week and then tested positive the day after James was with him? He would have surely been contagious at that point wouldn't he? I don't think you can actually stop the spread of this virus, you are either going to get it or you aren't. And yes, I wear a mask as well when I am required to.

Maybe I've already had it, maybe I haven't. But I'm sure that in working and still going to grocery stores, ABC stores, restaurants, etc. that at some point I've likely been exposed to it in some manner or other.
Mormad
packgrad said:

Mormad said:

packgrad said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

packgrad said:

Alcohol cures everything. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

YESSIR!!
wilmwolf
What I'm talking about isn't confined to rural NC, if you say flu season hasn't started here I believe you, isn't it true that flu season didn't exist in other places where it normally would've already occurred? I believe an article was posted earlier, and I'm not sure if this is the same one (https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/flu-season-never-came-to-the-southern-hemisphere1/), but it references flu season in the southern hemisphere being nonexistent, and they posit that it was because of the measures taken against Covid. To my non-medical, scientific brain, if the measures have stopped the flu season in places, then areas where the measures are not being followed should also show at least some flu cases. Maybe we can revisit later when our flu season isn't in it's infancy. Perhaps it is entirely correlation and not causation that flu has disappeared, but to me, if people aren't following the covid measures, they should also be getting sick in other ways this time of year. Maybe they are and are simply not getting tested because they are worried they'll get flagged for covid, it just doesn't make a lot of sense.
ncsualum05
Glasswolf said:

As of mid last week, my 62 year old sister in law, her 40 year old daughter and her 6 year old daughter have tested positive. My SIL is sick as a dog. All tested positive the monday after thanksgiving.They have no idea where they caught it. If some of you are on Twitter you may know John Peregoy III and his wife. He is a child friend of my sister in laws youngest daughter. They are both recovering from Covid.

WEAR. A. MASK

Did they not wear a mask?
TheStorm
Could (and please note that I said "could", so I'm asking - not saying) influenza potentially trigger a positive PCR test result for covid?

*Even threw the question mark in for good measure.
PackPA2015
TheStorm said:

Could (and please note that I said "could", so I'm asking - not saying) influenza potentially trigger a positive PCR test result for covid?

No, the molecular genetics are completely different.
TheStorm
PackPA2015 said:

TheStorm said:

How do PCR's achieve a high percentage of false positives then? You either have it or you don't, right?
Wayland
Flu tests and high Ct COVID PCR tests have VASTLY different sensitivities.

Now, there was virtually no flu anywhere in the Southern hemisphere, so I don't know what that means.

How much flu is out there, who knows? Is what flu is out there getting masked by COVID, maybe? Flu tests miss a lot more flu than COVID PCR miss COVID.
TheStorm
Wayland said:

Flu tests and high Ct COVID PCR tests have VASTLY different sensitivities.

Now, there was virtually no flu anywhere in the Southern hemisphere, so I don't know what that means.

How much flu is out there, who knows? Is what flu is out there getting masked by COVID, maybe? Flu tests miss a lot more flu than COVID PCR miss COVID.
OK. Good enough for me then... there's normally just people that usually have the flu by this time of the year... that much I know, we just started the 2nd week of December...
PackMom
If it was a very light flu season in the southern hemisphere, it stands to reason that it would be light here as well. Maybe this was a good year for the flu vaccine.
PackPA2015
TheStorm said:

PackPA2015 said:

TheStorm said:

How do PCR's achieve a high percentage of false positives then? You either have it or you don't, right?
In our studies, the COVID RT-PCR tests in general do not have a high percentage of false positives. They do have a moderate amount of false negatives. This is why we prefer using the non-rapid molecular tests, because they have less false positives and false negatives.

The accuracy of each test will differ by whom performs the swab, the true prevalence of the virus within the community, etc.
packgrad
PackPA2015 said:

TheStorm said:

PackPA2015 said:

TheStorm said:

In our studies, the COVID RT-PCR tests in general do not have a high percentage of false positives. They do have a moderate amount of false negatives. This is why we prefer using the non-rapid molecular tests, because they have less false positives and false negatives.
My wife's school (probably county, but not sure) no longer accepts the rapid tests for clearing a worker/student to return to school.
PackPA2015
packgrad said:

PackPA2015 said:

TheStorm said:

PackPA2015 said:

TheStorm said:

My wife's school (probably county, but not sure) no longer accepts the rapid tests for clearing a worker/student to return to school.
That is the same for our county school system as well. We are no longer recommending them through our hospital system either as the first test. Just too many inaccuracies.
statefan91

Presumed at this point but good to see. UK has already started vaccinating.
Dmax95
https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/tested-positive-covid-19-be-sure-ask-question

Interesting read. I for one tested positive and never had symptoms. Wife got it. Viral load is important
Everpack
PackMom said:

If it was a very light flu season in the southern hemisphere, it stands to reason that it would be light here as well. Maybe this was a good year for the flu vaccine.

Not very light, virtually non-existent. As in down over 98% from previous years. This isn't a reduction, it's an extermination and NPI's and an uptick in flu vaccinations isn't the reason.

"In the Southern Hemisphere countries of Australia, Chile, and South Africa, only 33 influenza positive test results were detected among 60,031 specimens tested in Australia, 12 among 21,178 specimens tested in Chile, and six among 2,098 specimens tested in South Africa, for a total of 51 influenza positive specimens (0.06%, 95% confidence interval [CI] = 0.04%0.08%) among 83,307 tested in these three countries during AprilJuly 2020 (weeks 1431). In contrast, during AprilJuly in 20172019, 24,512 specimens tested positive for influenza (13.7%, 95% CI = 13.6%13.9%) among 178,690 tested in these three countries (Figure 2)."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6937a6.htm

Also, can we please stop acting like the current increases in COVID prevalence is because of anything in rural areas. If you would like to see just how insignificant rural populations affect nationally numbers, take a look at the 2016 and 2020 election maps by county.
PackPA2015
Everpack said:

PackMom said:

Not very light, virtually non-existent. As in down over 98% from previous years. This isn't a reduction, it's an extermination and NPI's and an uptick in flu vaccinations isn't the reason.

In the Southern Hemisphere countries of Australia, Chile, and South Africa, only 33 influenza positive test results were detected among 60,031 specimens tested in Australia, 12 among 21,178 specimens tested in Chile, and six among 2,098 specimens tested in South Africa, for a total of 51 influenza positive specimens (0.06%, 95% confidence interval [CI] = 0.04%0.08%) among 83,307 tested in these three countries during AprilJuly 2020 (weeks 1431). In contrast, during AprilJuly in 20172019, 24,512 specimens tested positive for influenza (13.7%, 95% CI = 13.6%13.9%) among 178,690 tested in these three countries (Figure 2).

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6937a6.htm

Also, can we please stop acting like the current increases in COVID prevalence is because of anything in rural areas. If you would like to see just how insignificant rural populations affect nationally numbers, take a look at the 2016 and 2020 election maps by county.
If you are directing the rural area prevalence comment towards me, I was not saying at all that this was driving up national numbers. I am speaking specifically about NC and rural areas in WNC. Some of these areas had zero cases very late into the pandemic and now they are rapidly increasing. For example, Avery county now has the highest per capita rate of increase in the number of cases in the state of NC. They did not have their first confirmed case until June.

We are not saying this is the whole story, but it is a significant part of that. If we can improve virus precautions in those areas, would the numbers look better than they look at the current moment?

We, as medical providers, epidemiologists, hospital administration, are trying our best to quickly and efficiently lower rates of spread so as to limit hospitalizations and deaths. We understand that we are not going to drop the number of new cases to zero. However, any improvement can go a long way to protect our patients.
ciscopack
The United States did not buy enough of the Pfizer vaccine this summer when Pfizer asked how much did the US want.

Pfizer has told the Trump administration it cannot provide substantial additional doses of its coronavirus vaccine until late June or July because other countries have rushed to buy up most of its supply, according to multiple individuals familiar with the situation.

That means the U.S. government may not be able to ramp up as rapidly as it had expected from the 100 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine that it purchased earlier this year, raising questions about whether it can keep to its aggressive schedule to vaccinate most Americans by late spring or early summer.

Trump administration officials denied there would be availability issues in the second quarter, citing other vaccines in the pipeline -- most immediately, Moderna's, also expected to be approved in coming weeks. Both vaccines are two-dose regimens, so the 100 million doses purchased of each would cover 50 million people each.

Last summer, Pfizer officials had urged Operation Warp Speed to purchase 200 million doses, or enough of the two-shot regimen for 100 million people, according to people knowledgeable about the issue who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss the situation. But the Warp Speed officials declined, opting instead for 100 million doses, they said. The New York Times first reported that federal officials passed on the opportunity when Pfizer offered to sell more doses.
packgrad
If this was posted a week or so ago when it came out, apologies.

Could chocolate or green tea fight Covid-19? NC State researchers think it's possible

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/12/01/covid-diet-fight-virus-chocolate-green-tea-grapes.html?ana=maz
ncsualum05
Dmax95 said:

Interesting read. I for one tested positive and never had symptoms. Wife got it. Viral load is important
That was a really interesting video. I can't believe we are almost a year into this and I've never heard of that before. I don't know how I missed it b/c these boards provide great info... of course you won't see it on tv. But cycle thresholds... I'll be sure to ask those questions if I or my family members get tested.
packgrad
A drug company thinks we didn't buy enough of their product, according to the NYT and anonymous sources. Shocker.
Cthepack
ciscopack said:

The United States did not buy enough of the Pfizer vaccine this summer when Pfizer asked how much did the US want.

Pfizer has told the Trump administration it cannot provide substantial additional doses of its coronavirus vaccine until late June or July because other countries have rushed to buy up most of its supply, according to multiple individuals familiar with the situation.

That means the U.S. government may not be able to ramp up as rapidly as it had expected from the 100 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine that it purchased earlier this year, raising questions about whether it can keep to its aggressive schedule to vaccinate most Americans by late spring or early summer.

Trump administration officials denied there would be availability issues in the second quarter, citing other vaccines in the pipeline -- most immediately, Moderna's, also expected to be approved in coming weeks. Both vaccines are two-dose regimens, so the 100 million doses purchased of each would cover 50 million people each.

Last summer, Pfizer officials had urged Operation Warp Speed to purchase 200 million doses, or enough of the two-shot regimen for 100 million people, according to people knowledgeable about the issue who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss the situation. But the Warp Speed officials declined, opting instead for 100 million doses, they said. The New York Times first reported that federal officials passed on the opportunity when Pfizer offered to sell more doses.

What an accomplishment that a vaccine is being used this quick. I read that the previous fastest vaccine was just under 4 years. Think about the hundreds of thousand maybe millions of people will be saved by getting a vaccine out this quick. People working together can do amazing things!
PackPA2015
packgrad said:

If this was posted a week or so ago when it came out, apologies.

Could chocolate or green tea fight Covid-19? NC State researchers think it's possible

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/12/01/covid-diet-fight-virus-chocolate-green-tea-grapes.html?ana=maz
Cool study. Thanks for posting! Great example of "Think and Do".
Mormad
wilmwolf80 said:

What I'm talking about isn't confined to rural NC, if you say flu season hasn't started here I believe you, isn't it true that flu season didn't exist in other places where it normally would've already occurred? I believe an article was posted earlier, and I'm not sure if this is the same one (https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/flu-season-never-came-to-the-southern-hemisphere1/), but it references flu season in the southern hemisphere being nonexistent, and they posit that it was because of the measures taken against Covid. To my non-medical, scientific brain, if the measures have stopped the flu season in places, then areas where the measures are not being followed should also show at least some flu cases. Maybe we can revisit later when our flu season isn't in it's infancy. Perhaps it is entirely correlation and not causation that flu has disappeared, but to me, if people aren't following the covid measures, they should also be getting sick in other ways this time of year. Maybe they are and are simply not getting tested because they are worried they'll get flagged for covid, it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I understand your argument about the use of covid measures. I'm not arguing there's not a good effort by many people in regards to covid measures. Could we do better? Of course. We all know that. But i think we have done about as well as we can expect out of our particular society. I agree with you. I think those measures have driven down the incidence of other infectious diseases to some extent, maybe a great extent. Those measures were never meant to eradicate covid. But those measures may be much more effective in nearly eradicating or seemingly eradicating (for myriad reasons) other infectious diseases that act differently than covid. The honest answer is we just don't know, but let's to some extent accept that flu is potentially less and just count our blessings that it seems so? Because dealing with both is really gonna friggin suck. We just went with the Cepeid 4 test yesterday that picks up covid, rsv, and the 2 flus. We'll see how the numbers change over the next few weeks.
Dmax95
ncsualum05 said:

Dmax95 said:

That was a really interesting video. I can't believe we are almost a year into this and I've never heard of that before. I don't know how I missed it b/c these boards provide great info... of course you won't see it on tv. But cycle thresholds... I'll be sure to ask those questions if I or my family members get tested
It's def worth asking. We carry a lot of **** in our noses lol. There needs to be a threshold for these tests. For ex, my wife works at the hospital at BMT, i'd be willing to bet she carries a decent amount of viral diseases off and on through the year. However for the first time in 5 years she got sick of covid, which I didn't get??????? It's interesting.
RunsWithWolves26
packgrad said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

packgrad said:

Nice response. No life lesson and no narrative bull***** Just stating my opinion. We are allowed to do that here just as we are allowed to debate or disagree with someone's opinion. That may or may not be a life lesson or a bull**** narrative. I guess that's up to the individual to decide.
First Page Last Page
Page 190 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.