Coronavirus

2,006,963 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I agree with you. It is a stop gap.
metcalfmafia
How would people stop following the orders though? There's no where to go.

Unless you're talking about gathering more than 10 people together. Businesses hands are tied.
Everpack
In short? By keeping those people at home. If it's not a problem to tell 330 million spread out all over the country to stay at home, it shouldn't be a problem to tell the one place that is driving the nationwide numbers to do it for a few more weeks. I just don't think this is a nationwide crisis and the solutions should reflect that.
Colonel Armstrong
metcalfmafia said:

Unless you're talking about gathering more than 10 people together. Businesses hands are tied.
I can't wait to receive my $1200 and have nowhere to spend it at
Colonel Armstrong
Everpack said:

In short? By keeping those people at home. If it's not a problem to tell 330 million spread out all over the country to stay at home, it shouldn't be a problem to tell the one place that is driving the nationwide numbers to do it for a few more weeks. I just don't think this is a nationwide crisis and the solutions should reflect that.
NYC should be shut down till beginning of June IMO. Everywhere else could restart in mid-May.
metcalfmafia
King Leary said:

metcalfmafia said:

I'm saving it in case the layoff monster comes for me.
Mormad
wnosaj83 said:

Apologies. My intent was not be combative or insinuate any sentiment, a foreign concept on this board at times so i understand the conclusion you came to. I can think of legitimate reasons why there is not universal or widespread testing at this point. I was simply asking a question directed at a professional who seems to know much more on the crisis at hand than I do. I hope that there are good reasons and that there is a plan in place for increased testing. I wish someone would tell us more about those reasons and that plan.

Apologies not necessary. Sorry if I came across like I thought you were being combative. I really didn't think you were. I've been really impressed with this thread... Lots of knowledge, lots of reasonable thoughts, lots of time spent trying to understand, and level headed discussion despite some mild disagreement. You know much more than you think if you've spent any time reading this stuff. Doctors dont know it all. Wish I did tho. Best wishes to you.
metcalfmafia
Saw a tweet on this subject, but can someone explain the rationale of keeping parks and greenways open and closing beaches?
Wayland
metcalfmafia said:

Saw a tweet on this subject, but can someone explain the rationale of keeping parks and greenways open and closing beaches?
Local government decisions? My parents are in Dare County right now and go walking on the beach everyday, I don't know if they have less restrictions because access to the county is limited compared to other NC beaches.
packgrad
I think it's because there have been beach parties that have been all over the news. That would be my guess. My brother lives in Wilmington and they shut down the boat ramps, he thinks, because of a big island party that happened somewhere down there.

Edit... doesn't explain parks though as they have made the news as well. Should have read better the first time.
statefan91
metcalfmafia said:

Charlotte shut down all the car access to parks and greenways. Now it's really only people that can reach them on foot or bike.
metcalfmafia
statefan91 said:

metcalfmafia said:

Charlotte shut down all the car access to parks and greenways. Now it's really only people that can reach them on foot or bike.
Raleigh hasn't. Drove to Fred Fletcher park yesterday.
Wayland
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

https://www.ncdhhs.gov/covid-19-case-count-nc

3/31/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

4/1/2020 Morning DHHS update

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

4/2/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

4/3/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:25am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

Guilford now shows 3 deaths and Mecklenburg 2.

15 deaths > 65 age (20% of positive cases)
2 deaths between 50-64 age (28% of positive cases)
2 deaths between 25-49 age (43% of positive cases)

2919 additional completed tests, 236 positive results for a 8.1% positive test rate day to day.

4/4/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

Looks like DHHS is lagging in numbers today, since we should have had at least 5 more deaths in the morning count. Guilford only showing 3 deaths in this count and they are at 5 or 6. DHHS only reports lab confirmed reported deaths, so maybe the local health departments either aren't reporting or don't have lab confirmation on the media counts?

Congregate Data:
6 Nursing Homes, 4 Residential Care, 2 Correctional Facilities, and 1 Other have 2 more more lab confirmed cases. Considered Outbreak.
4/5/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

Deaths in NC
26 > 65 years of age
3 Between 50-64 years of age
2 Between 25-49 years of age

4/6/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

4/7/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 10:15am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

Worst day. Although some of that total looks to be the lag that the media had that DHHS wasn't reported. 80% of total deaths 65+ years of age.

The highest day for positive cases by collective sample is still 3/23/2020 second highest is 4/1/2020. But positive cases still awful metric since testing is not consistent.
4/8/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

4/9/2020 Morning DHHS update (as of 11:00am)

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Looks like deaths now align with media totals for the morning. 82% of deaths > 65

16 Nursing Homes, 4 Residential Care Facilities, 4 Correctional Facilities, and 1 Other with outbreaks.
packgrad
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

2919 additional completed tests, 236 positive results for a 8.1% positive test rate day to day.

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

Looks like DHHS is lagging in numbers today, since we should have had at least 5 more deaths in the morning count. Guilford only showing 3 deaths in this count and they are at 5 or 6. DHHS only reports lab confirmed reported deaths, so maybe the local health departments either aren't reporting or don't have lab confirmation on the media counts?

Congregate Data:
6 Nursing Homes, 4 Residential Care, 2 Correctional Facilities, and 1 Other have 2 more more lab confirmed cases. Considered Outbreak.

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

Deaths in NC
26 > 65 years of age

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

Worst day. Although some of that total looks to be the lag that the media had that DHHS wasn't reported. 80% of total deaths 65+ years of age.

The highest day for positive cases by collective sample is still 3/23/2020 second highest is 4/1/2020. But positive cases still awful metric since testing is not consistent.

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Looks like deaths now align with media totals for the morning.

Part of the nonsense outrage from Charlotte government and media is not receiving federal support from FEMA for a 3000 bed field hospital, now revised down to 600, again outage because no support from federal government. There aren't 600 people hospitalized in the state according to these numbers.
Packchem91
Everpack said:

But how do you stop that? How do you stop from a family loading in the car and driving to some resort that is now open (people in NYC are probably desperate to get away too).

I know...how long do you stop life for a relatively small %. I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but I think it's a reasonable concern.

**Of course, could say the same for all the take out restaurants and grocery stores where we are getting our food now -- who is to say the people preparing / serving us the food are not sick.
IseWolf22
King Leary said:

metcalfmafia said:

Paying off the last piece of my car with mine. 3 year loan paid off in 12 months if it arrives soon.
packgrad
You make the decision for yourself. If you're going to a resort, somebody there may be sick. If you're going to the grocery store, there may be a drunk driver. If you're going for a hike in the woods, you may twist your ankle on a tree root.
Daviewolf83
I just sent the following email to a couple of reporters with the Raleigh News and Observer. I will be sending to some other newspaper and television reporters shortly.

Thank you in advance for reading this email and I apologize in advance for its length. I have been following the press conferences from the North Carolina governor and his staff very closely over the past few weeks. I also communicate daily with friends and others on various social platforms. In these interactions, I am sensing a general frustration with the current updates we are getting from the governor and his staff. I have watched many of the NY governor's daily updates and while what is happening to NY is heartbreaking, I have been very impressed by his daily updates and the information he is providing about the current status and the planning that is starting for when the virus is more under control. I and others do not get this same level of confidence from NC's state leadership as I do from NY's updates. At this time, when people are trying to do their part of social distance (I for example have been working from home for almost 4 weeks), I believe we are at a point where the governor and his staff need to shift to talking about their planning to deal with returning to normal.

I realize it is too soon to define a date still for ending the stay-at-home policies, but it is definitely the time to begin making those plans. I have been closely monitoring the statistics on the virus in NC and based on the data I have analyzed (I have a background and education in statistical methods), it seems very likely NC will begin leveling off in the growth in daily new cases in the next few days and could hit a peak in the number of daily new cases by the middle of next week (if current trends hold). Since deaths are a trailing indicator of case growth rates, it is likely deaths will begin to peak in a little over a week. This is based on the information out of Italy and Spain that shows deaths begin to decline approximately five days after daily case rates peak. Based on current data and trends, NC is in much better shape when compared with many other states from both the number of confirmed cases and deaths. As such, I would think it is time to begin planning for the steps NC will take when the stay-at-home order begins to lift.

Since you are members of the news media and have better access to NC's governor and his staff through the daily press conferences, I have composed some questions many of us have with regards to the steps being taken to plan for additional testing and for plans after stay-at-home orders are lifted.

1. During yesterday's daily update from the Federal Coronavirus Taskforce, Dr. Birx mentioned there are 18,000 Abbott Labs testing devices spread throughout the country and they have distributed millions of test kits to use with these machines. These machines and test kits can provide test results to a patient in less than 15 minutes. I am sure you are aware of these testing devices, so have you conducted a survey in NC to determine where they are located throughout the state and if so, can you provide some update on the state's plans to utilize these testing devices to drastically increase testing? If you have not located these devices, when do you expect to know where they are and when will you be able to announce plans for the full utilization of these devices and test kits?

2. I have been reading a lot of information from multiple sites over the past several weeks and in particular, I have been following articles posted by Noah Pinion. He is a columnist for Bloomberg news. Much of this advice says that after we get over the peak and begin to emerge from this immediate crisis, the next step is to implement Test-and-Trace capabilities. Apparently, Test-and-Trace has been used quite successfully in South Korea and Singapore and they have been able to maintain a more normal level of economic activity using this method of dealing with the virus. The experts say this is the best way for the US to return to more normal levels of activity and also keep the virus in-check. Does NC have plans to implement Test-and-Trace and if so, when can we expect to hear more specifics about this plan? If not, what are your plans to reopen the economy, return to more normal levels of activity and keep the virus under control?

3. A key component of Test-and-Trace is on the testing of people who most directly interact with the most vulnerable in our society. People working in nursing homes, people working in hospitals and other healthcare facilities, and people working in grocery stores and pharmacies are the one have the highest potential of coming in contact with the vulnerable population. We have seen recently the effect the virus is having on nursing homes in the state. What are NC's plans to use the testing capabilities available to the state to begin fully testing all people who work daily with the high risk population?

4. Closely related to Test-and-Trace is Contact Tracing. The Massachusetts's governor recently announced they will be immediately staffing a 1,000 person call center to conduct Contact Tracing. They will begin identifying all those people who have come in contact with people who test positive for the virus and directly contacting them from the call center. They will provide information regarding the virus, signs to look for, and a request to self-quarantine for 14 days. Has there been any discussion about implementing something similar in NC and if not, is this something you would consider?
statefan91
Awesome e-mail, please let us know if you get a response. Hope so.
Colonel Armstrong
IseWolf22 said:

King Leary said:

metcalfmafia said:

Paying off the last piece of my car with mine. 3 year loan paid off in 12 months if it arrives soon.
That's pretty nice right there!
PackMom
Great letter! I hope it has some impact on the reporters.

RunsWithWolves26
Treasury Secretary said this morning he expects the country to reopen May 1st
Packchem91
packgrad said:

You make the decision for yourself. If you're going to a resort, somebody there may be sick. If you're going to the grocery store, there may be a drunk driver. If you're going for a hike in the woods, you may twist your ankle on a tree root.
Well, my wife actually just sprained her ankle when she stepped in a hole on a walk we were on...it's not the same as contracting the corona.

I agree in principle however. But there is no doubt we are in a case of "paralysis by analysis" on this virus.
We just had our first death in Union County last night -- a 70 yo with underlying conditions. I think of how big this county has become and think....that is a knit.
Packchem91
Davie -- great points (and seemingly questions that folks who's job it is to cover this situation would have already come up with)...unfortunately, many in the media are conditioned to 15-second soundbites....I'm not sure they make it to your 3rd para.
Daviewolf83
packgrad said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Wayland said:

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

Congregate Data:

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

Deaths in NC
26 > 65 years of age

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

NC Cases*
NC Deaths**
Currently Hospitalized
Completed Tests

Looks like deaths now align with media totals for the morning.

Part of the nonsense outrage from Charlotte government and media is not receiving federal support from FEMA for a 3000 bed field hospital, now revised down to 600, again outage because no support from federal government. There aren't 600 people hospitalized in the state according to these numbers.
Some good news in the numbers. The rate of hospitalizations has declined for the past two days and four out of the past five days. Hospitalizations on 4/7 are the only day that saw an increase and suspect it was due to increases over the weekend where reporting was delayed. Total deaths are running slightly below the mean number of deaths predicted for this date by the IHME model (4/7 model data). Last, in looking at a logarithmic plot of daily cases, the curve is definitely starting to flatten, meaning the rate of change from one day to the other is becoming very stable (ie., case rate increases are slowing).
Wayland
NY deaths in at 799 today. Hospitalization rates continue to decline.

Just to throw an aside at the NC numbers as well. I believe I heard Cuomo say NY has over 18,000 hospitalized... compared to under 400 for NC... and we are treating the situations the same.
packgrad
Along with the 30,000 ventilators NY said they needed, more beds were also needed. A convention center was converted to a military hospital and the USNS Comfort was dispatched. They are currently at less than 4% capacity. I get that people appreciate Cuomo's speaking at press conferences, but he deserves quite a bit of critique himself.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2020/04/07/javits-center-and-usns-comfort-have-a-combined-110-patients-1273409
Wayland
packgrad said:

Along with the 30,000 ventilators NY said they needed, more beds were also needed. A convention center was converted to a military hospital and the USNS Comfort was dispatched. They are currently at less than 4% capacity. I get that people appreciate Cuomo's speaking at press conferences, but he deserves quite a bit of critique himself.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2020/04/07/javits-center-and-usns-comfort-have-a-combined-110-patients-1273409
I give him some slack on the hope for the best prepare for the worst since those early models were designed to scare and Italy did get overwhelmed.

Governments need to do a better job of handling variables in this situation. I think we all could have seen on day 1 that NC and NY (or even NJ which has fewer people than NC but is most population dense state) would have very different curves with regards to an outbreak.
wilmwolf
packgrad said:

I think it's because there have been beach parties that have been all over the news. That would be my guess. My brother lives in Wilmington and they shut down the boat ramps, he thinks, because of a big island party that happened somewhere down there.

Edit... doesn't explain parks though as they have made the news as well. Should have read better the first time.

Masonboro island. It's a popular hangout spot anyway, but after they closed the beaches, the youngsters just moved their extended spring break out there. It's not really stopping people though, plenty of private docks and ramps for people to use. And to your point, the park by my house is absolutely packed with people today.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

packgrad said:

Masonboro island. It's a popular hangout spot anyway, but after they closed the beaches, the youngsters just moved their extended spring break out there. It's not really stopping people though, plenty of private docks and ramps for people to use. And to your point, the park by my house is absolutely packed with people today.
I think people are going to start the "crying wolf" thing, and look at the relative numbers across the Carolinas, and begin to go back outside. Kind of to packgrad's comment about "decide for yourself", especially if the weather remains beautiful, people are inclined to be active.
If rates were increasing, there would be a bigger detriment....will be interesting to see how long people heed the call.

**This is why I'm allowing neither of my college sons to go back to their houses in Wilmington and Columbia yet, even though their friends are there....because they'll end up in big groups almost out of habit.
packgrad
I don't disagree on wanting to be prepared. I more mean his rhetoric about the situation. My numbers may be off, so apologies on that, but when receiving 4000 ventilators instead of 30,000, comments like the federal government can pick which 26,000 people are going to die. Desperately needing the additional bed space and "logistical and communication constraints" are preventing them from being used.

The president says a drug may treat the virus, based on anecdotal evidence, and is raked over the coals. NY governor and mayor scream from the mountain tops that people are going to die without help, then either can't put in place the procedures to use the help when provided, or don't need what they said they needed.

I get that everybody is doing the best they can with what they have. Just saying he/they deserve a bit of critique as well. I hope at some point our leaders can temper the hysteria, instead of thriving in it.
PossumJenkins
While this just may be perception or happenstance...i do believe there are more cars on the road in and around the Charlotte area today than i have seen over the last couple weeks.
wilmwolf
From my anecdotal observations, the number of people out and about has steadily increased all week. The roads were a ghost town last week.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packgrad
Definitely see an increase in the triangle as well. Certainly not as many as non quarantine days, but definitely an increase.
Wayland
Watching the NJ press conference, they have an almost 5% positive test rate statewide in their nursing homes. That is crazy. That is 5% of the total population not 5% of the facilities.
First Page Last Page
Page 49 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.