Coronavirus

2,019,080 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Werewolf
GoPack2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
^Fauci was subsequently called away from testifying by the White House.

This is. not good.
statefan91

These mother****ers have no idea what they're doing. Hopefully that's not too political.
cowboypack02
GoPack2008 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Both you guys cut it out

Dude is just a troll. He's on ignore now.

I don't think people need to panic but I do think people need to take this very seriously.

Cases more than doubling every week. It seems fine until it isn't. This could seriously affect all of our older relatives, where it's might kill 10% or more of infected.

In a month if I'm wrong, make fun of me all day every day. But in the meantime, I'm hoping people do take this seriously. That doesn't mean panicking, but it does mean social distancing as outlined in the above Vox article.
The one down in Southeast VA threw me for a loop. My wife and I went out to dinner on saturday night with a couple who is getting married next month. Since my wife and the friend are both ICU nurses they got to talking and at it turns out the case in VA was at the hospital the friend worked at. Not only that the friend was the one who was taking care of the infected person. She was discussing all the security procedures and the PPE that she was wearing. Crazy stuff.
GoPack2008
cowboypack02 said:

GoPack2008 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Both you guys cut it out

Dude is just a troll. He's on ignore now.

I don't think people need to panic but I do think people need to take this very seriously.

Cases more than doubling every week. It seems fine until it isn't. This could seriously affect all of our older relatives, where it's might kill 10% or more of infected.

In a month if I'm wrong, make fun of me all day every day. But in the meantime, I'm hoping people do take this seriously. That doesn't mean panicking, but it does mean social distancing as outlined in the above Vox article.
The one down in Southeast VA threw me for a loop. My wife and I went out to dinner on saturday night with a couple who is getting married next month. Since my wife and the friend are both ICU nurses they got to talking and at it turns out the case in VA was at the hospital the friend worked at. Not only that the friend was the one who was taking care of the infected person. She was discussing all the security procedures and the PPE that she was wearing. Crazy stuff.

Absolutely.

The important thing is...we don't know if others got infected. There isn't sufficient testing. So one in SE VA may actually be 10 in SE VA who are spreading it, currently. They may have mild symptoms that resemble a cold.

Probably if people are asymptomatic and everyone washes their hands and isn't too touchy, it's not a big deal.
GoPack2008
statefan91 said:

These mother****ers have no idea what they're doing. Hopefully that's not too political.
These idiots are going to kill off a huge chunk of their own voting base. That's the insanity of it all.

They're also hurting the stock market more in these idiotic efforts. Opacity and lack of information undermine trust which is ruinous to an economy. This is literally taking a gun and shooting yourself in the face.

Meanwhile Redfield is saying this garbage:

Like...NOW is when we want to focus on humanizing healthcare?

I can't tell if he's just trying to spin a decision he wasn't allowed to make, though. But either way, this is the most bass ackwards logic I have ever seen.
Colonel Armstrong
There's a fine line between taking safety precautions and not scaring the general public too much.

For that official to start that millions of Americans could die seems insane to me. And diluted the message of how serious the virus is.
GoPack2008
King Leary said:

There's a fine line between taking safety precautions and not scaring the general public too much.

For that official to start that millions of Americans could die seems insane to me. And diluted the message of how serious the virus is.

On the basis of what evidence do you conclude that he's overstating the risk? Maybe you're right, but what's your evidence?

If half of the country contracts the virus, call it 150 million people, and 99% of people survive and recover, that will be 1.5 million dead.

If you're arguing that it can't kill millions, then you have to believe that some combination of the following is true:

-it will not spread easily between people
-more like 99.99% of people who contract it survive

Do you have any evidence for either of those being the case?

Right now we are trying to change the first one: how many people get it. The way any virus stops spreading is if people recover faster than new cases emerge. Right now, new cases are coming quicker than people are recovering. The way to change that is social distancing, hand washing, etc.

If we don't do those things, millions could die. So why not do them?

Korea has shown that rapid early testing lowers mortality. And yet we are not doing what they did.

It's not always wrong to be scared. Sometimes it's appropriate.
statefan91
GoPack2008
A pretty explosive twitter thread:

Greg is an NC State alum and blew the lid off of the Silent Sham scandal at UNC.

"UPDATE: Per source, Duke Regional Hospital had several coronavirus cases already, for some time now at a time when the state government was claiming there were only 2 cases in the entire state"
statefan91
GoPack2008
^An important clarification from the linked article, however:

"We're not by any way saying there is aerosolized transmission of the virus," but this work shows that the virus stays viable for long periods in those conditions, so it's theoretically possible, said study leader Neeltje van Doremalen at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases."

All contagions require a sufficiently high concentration to actually infect and overwhelm the first elements of the immune system. It varies from virus, but for example, if you injected someone with one single virus of HIV, they would almost certainly not develop HIV.

So the article very rightly distinguishes between "can be detected" and "is transmissible." Those tweets are a good example of slightly irresponsible quoting because they can be misread and foster misinformation.
statefan91
statefan91
GoPack2008
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/coronavirus-updates-live-u-s-cases-top-1-000-spread-n1155241/ncrd1155806

Nearly 200 deaths in Italy in the past 24 hours. Please take this seriously.
Ground_Chuck
PackBacker07 said:

Are Dr. Fauci, and the World Health Organization part of media driving hysteria?
packgrad
Ground_Chuck said:

PackBacker07 said:

Is Dr. Fauci, and the World Health Organization part of media driving hysteria?

Mathematically, I would say yes.
Ground_Chuck
packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

PackBacker07 said:

Is it possible that these undisputed experts know the math better than you?
packgrad
Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

PackBacker07 said:

Yes. It's also possible, and absolutely true, that they don't have the research numbers to make these associations yet. But it fits the narrative...
PackBacker07
packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

PackBacker07 said:

Yes. It's also possible, and absolutely true, that they don't have the research numbers to make these associations yet. But it fits the narrative...

Geez. Whatever media you consume, can we at least not throw shade at medical professionals? These people don't care about left, right, blue, red, whatever. Let's listen to what they say, please.
Y'all means ALL.
GoPack2008
^the data exist. I will share the report from the WHO Mission to China if you'd be interested in seeing it.

Meanwhile:
NCAA tourney to be played without fans:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28885422/ncaa-says-tournament-go-fans
GoPack2008
https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

The numbers are here.

It doesn't matter if they are exactly right. If you take a conservative estimate and then halve it, you would have the scenario I detailed above.

Even if 99.5% of cases recover fully (this would be very optimistic), millions can still die if much of the world is infected. If it's more like 98% recover, the numbers become catastrophic on the scale of a world war.

Prove me wrong. Show me the numbers that disprove this.
Ground_Chuck
packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

PackBacker07 said:

You don't know what research numbers they have, but it fits you narrative to pretend you do.
packgrad
Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

PackBacker07 said:

You don't know what research numbers they have, but it fits you narrative to pretend you do.

I know we've been told we don't have enough tests over and over and over. I know that we were told that 80% of the people that have had it didn't even know they had it so were never tested. Those 2 things I know.
Glasswolf
I'll add this. I don't blame this virus on Trump same as I don't blame Katrina on Bush. I do blame Trump for his delaying of reaction on the virus. It's not going away and it will not get better when the weather gets warmer, and you cannot go to work if you feel bad.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

RunsWithWolves26
Glasswolf said:

I'll add this. I don't blame this virus on Trump same as I don't blame Katrina on Bush. I do blame Trump for his delaying of reaction on the virus. It's not going away and it will not get better when the weather gets warmer, and you cannot go to work if you feel bad.

A medical doctor was ask this morning about warmer weather and she said it would help to slow the progress of the virus because it wouldn't be as easy for the virus to travel through the air and survive as long. With that said, I see your point.
GoPack2008
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Glasswolf said:

A medical doctor was ask this morning about warmer weather and she said it would help to slow the progress of the virus because it wouldn't be as easy for the virus to travel through the air and survive as long. With that said, I see your point.

We are hoping this is true.

What I'm concerned about is that it is in Singapore, which is a fairly warm place year round.
GoPack2008
packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

packgrad said:

Ground_Chuck said:

PackBacker07 said:

I know we've been told we don't have enough tests over and over and over. I know that we were told that 80% of the people that have had it didn't even know they had it so were never tested. Those 2 things I know.

This thread is full of additional facts if you'd like to know more things.
NatePait94
Say what you will but my family is taking this seriously. I work for a global logistics company and the threat of supply chain shutdown is very real. I highly recommend you going and grabbing a months worth of non-perishable food. Trying to play this all safe.

I am very concerned.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
GoPack2008
NatePait94 said:

Say what you will but my family is taking this seriously. I work for a global logistics company and the threat of supply chain shutdown is very real. I highly recommend you going and grabbing a months worth of non-perishable food. Trying to play this all safe.

I am very concerned.

Absolutely. This is a big part of what's going on in the market, which I realize has its own thread.

It's much wiser to be cautious and prepared and have it end up being nothing than it is to be cavalier and dismissive.
statefan91
ShaggyWolf
UNC school systems canceling school next week. NC State planning to transition to online classes. Got the email from Randy about an hour ago. Not the spring semester I envisioned lol.
RunsWithWolves26
GoPack2008 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Glasswolf said:

We are hoping this is true.

What I'm concerned about is that it is in Singapore, which is a fairly warm place year round.

Not saying nor did I say it would stop it. Her professional medical opinion was that it would help slow it down some, not eliminate it all together. Regardless, it's gonna be a rough next 2-3 weeks here but just as on China, it will begin to decrease as time goes on. The hooe is that happens sooner rather then later and things get back to normal shortly.
GoPack2008
^nor did I say that you said those things.

I fully agree with you. I hope it turns around soon.
GoPack2008
Trump just suspended all travel from Europe.

Waiving of copays for treatment and testing is a good move.

He also advocated social distancing which I've been doing on this thread while packgrad tries to mock it.
statefan91
Not sure I understand the travel ban when the virus is quickly spreading within the country already
First Page Last Page
Page 6 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.