Coronavirus

2,055,774 Views | 19915 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by GuerrillaPack
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lunacy. The left will lead us to revolution.

Mormad
That's literally unbelievable
Oldsouljer
It remains amazing that no one wants accountability from the Chinese communists or from their willing stateside collaborators, be it CDC, NIH or their GOF research partners in academia. But they expect the American people to go along unquestioningly with their outrageous mitigation recommendations. With respect to the former, a lot of people don't know that to Dems and Reps alike, NIH is their golden child. Over the years I've watched them eagerly throw money at them with precious little oversight, with the sole exception of the former Government oversight committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz, who saw a lot of his subpoenas get stonewalled by one of NIH's sub-agencies, our very own NIEHS, here in Durham, NC.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

LOL, you have not paid attention the last 100 pages on this thread. Some people have to be angry about every. single. thing. He is ours.
Absolutely hilarious. Especially coming from you.
What makes you think I'm angry about anything? I'm happy as can be. Life is good. Not perfect, but certainly not somethign to walk around griping about every day
Says the guy that starts an argument on the very first page of the post game thread last night... and of course arguing against your own team.

Some people have to argue about every. single. thing. You are ours.
Haaa....that's nuts. I was simply discussing how we caught a break that has certainly gone against us before with the penalties.
Arguing can be fun -- like sitting around in teh dorm room arguing points, just online. Anger is altogether different. And our friend PG is frequently angry. I'm convinced he could win the lottery and be po'd they paid him in 20s. (#science).

BTW, are you also in agreement with James' ludicrous argument to just get to Charlotte and be happy.
And hey, I agreed with your diatribe against Bridges BBQ in Shelby !

packgrad
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

LOL, you have not paid attention the last 100 pages on this thread. Some people have to be angry about every. single. thing. He is ours.
What makes you think I'm angry about anything? I'm happy as can be. Life is good. Not perfect, but certainly not somethign to walk around griping about every day
Says the guy that starts an argument on the very first page of the post game thread last night... and of course arguing against your own team.

Haaa....that's nuts. I was simply discussing how we caught a break that has certainly gone against us before with the penalties.
Arguing can be fun -- like sitting around in teh dorm room arguing points, just online. Anger is altogether different. And our friend PG is frequently angry. I'm convinced he could win the lottery and be po'd they paid him in 20s. (#science).

BTW, are you also in agreement with James' ludicrous argument to just get to Charlotte and be happy.

Message board guys like to drive false narratives. Angry. Lol. So stupid. But you're that guy. Wonder how many pages we have to go back to find where message board guy has a post on topic.
packgrad
Can you imagine being someone that still listens to Fauci? Who would wait for his approval to make holiday plans?

caryking
packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

Message board guys like to drive false narratives. Angry. Lol. So stupid. But you're that guy. Wonder how many pages we have to go back to find where message board guy has a post on topic.

That's funny!!
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

This the kind of thing you should save your anger for. Fireman and his wife both die from Covid, leaving behind 4 orphaned children.
They were not vaccinated. Absolutely tragic. I at least hope they came to that decision on their own accord and not from listening to some fool speaking out of their butt about not getting poison into their veins or that this was a false narrative by the government.

How horrible for this family, made more so because it was almost suredly preventable. You being Mr Science on here, I'm sure we can agree on that

https://gofund.me/4caceb0f

In my home county, more than 20 people have died in the past two weeks from Covid. I'm guessing all non-vaccinated. A small number I guess, just 23 people in two weeks, but how sad that is. Still under 50% vaccinated. Probably all 20 of this fathers, mothers, brothers, sons, friends would be alive had they been vaccinated. That should make you much angrier than my posts.

But I'm sure you can just go find another tweet where your future is being taken from you by the government
Oldsouljer
Is your home county urban? Because even if it is, that number of deaths in that small period of time sounds suspiciously large against the established mortality statistics for this pathogen. Not criticizing you, just saying. And for my part, given that those same stats are CDC-derived, who knows if they're reliable anyway.
packgrad
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

This the kind of thing you should save your anger for. Fireman and his wife both die from Covid, leaving behind 4 orphaned children.
They were not vaccinated. Absolutely tragic. I at least hope they came to that decision on their own accord and not from listening to some fool speaking out of their butt about not getting poison into their veins or that this was a false narrative by the government.

How horrible for this family, made more so because it was almost suredly preventable. You being Mr Science on here, I'm sure we can agree on that

In my home county, more than 20 people have died in the past two weeks from Covid. I'm guessing all non-vaccinated. A small number I guess, just 23 people in two weeks, but how sad that is. Still under 50% vaccinated. Probably all 20 of this fathers, mothers, brothers, sons, friends would be alive had they been vaccinated. That should make you much angrier than my posts.

But I'm sure you can just go find another tweet where your future is being taken from you by the government

It's sad that you *******ize their lives pretending like you care about them to try to win a message board argument. Just pathetic. But expected. Message board guy.
packgrad
Oldsouljer said:

Is your home county urban? Because even if it is, that number of deaths in that small period of time sounds suspiciously large against the established mortality statistics for this pathogen. Not criticizing you, just saying. And for my part, given that those same stats are CDC-derived, who knows if they're reliable anyway.

They're more than likely not correct. Consider the source.
packgrad
Packchem91
Oldsouljer said:

Suburban. Union County. Large county now. Huge overflow from Charlotte, also large Central American migrant demo.

https://www.facebook.com/100064834922533/posts/226020236235806/?d=n

The week before was 7, amd 9 the week before. So 32 since mid-Sept.
Is it real? I don't know…I guess the county could be making up the numbers?
Packchem91
packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

It's sad that you *******ize their lives pretending like you care about them to try to win a message board argument. Just pathetic. But expected. Message board guy.
LOL...So Mr Science, teh guy who posts more political twitter articles than anyone on the site, whines because someone posts something bout the REAL impact of this virus -- that people die. That now in particular, people who have made poor decisions are the ones dying, needlessly.
The fact you are angry (not surprising) at the messenger instead of the outcome, is telling.

Do you whine as much when the stats guys on here post numbers about how many people who are hospitalized / die are unvaccinated versus vaccinated? Wait a minute, of course you do. Because its really all about the politics for you.
packgrad
No, message board guy. I don't. Please continue to lie and get angry. Pitiful.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

Right, people being misinformed and dying is not a problem, so lets not talk about that....long as you can walk into your favorite stores without the Man telling you to put on a mask, you are good.
Waht is it you say all the time, "#science", or something like that? LOL.
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Right, people being misinformed and dying is not a problem, so lets not talk about that....long as you can walk into your favorite stores without the Man telling you to put on a mask, you are good.
You don't ever pay enough attention for whatever reason, but the guy you are arguing with is vaccinated just like you are...

But again, you think that you have to win every discussion... most of the rest of us just don't care, we give our opinions and move on. You for whatever reason can't seem to do so. What is it you say all the time, "#completelackofselfawareness", or something like that?
Mormad
What exactly is a message board guy?
TheStorm
Bolded in the post above yours...
Civilized
"...Worldwide, cases have also dropped more than 30 percent since late August. "This is as good as the world has looked in many months," Dr. Eric Topol of Scripps Research wrote last week.

These declines are consistent with a pattern that regular readers of this newsletter will recognize: Covid's mysterious two-month cycle. Since the Covid virus began spreading in late 2019, cases have often surged for about two months sometimes because of a variant, like Delta and then declined for about two months.

Epidemiologists do not understand why. Many popular explanations, like seasonality or the ebbs and flows of social distancing, are clearly insufficient, if not wrong. The two-month cycle has occurred during different seasons of the year and occurred even when human behavior was not changing in obvious ways.

The most plausible explanations involve some combination of virus biology and social networks. Perhaps each virus variant is especially likely to infect some people but not others and once many of the most vulnerable have been exposed, the virus recedes. And perhaps a variant needs about two months to circulate through an average-sized community.

Human behavior does play a role, with people often becoming more careful once caseloads begin to rise. But social distancing is not as important as public discussion of the virus often imagines. "We've ascribed far too much human authority over the virus," as Michael Osterholm, an infectious-disease expert at the University of Minnesota, has told me.

The recent declines, for example, have occurred even as millions of American children have again crowded into school buildings..."

NY Times: COVID, in retreat

Article sounds like it could have been authored by Davie or Wayland.
Wayland
Civilized said:

"...Worldwide, cases have also dropped more than 30 percent since late August. "This is as good as the world has looked in many months," Dr. Eric Topol of Scripps Research wrote last week.

These declines are consistent with a pattern that regular readers of this newsletter will recognize: Covid's mysterious two-month cycle. Since the Covid virus began spreading in late 2019, cases have often surged for about two months sometimes because of a variant, like Delta and then declined for about two months.

Epidemiologists do not understand why. Many popular explanations, like seasonality or the ebbs and flows of social distancing, are clearly insufficient, if not wrong. The two-month cycle has occurred during different seasons of the year and occurred even when human behavior was not changing in obvious ways.

The most plausible explanations involve some combination of virus biology and social networks. Perhaps each virus variant is especially likely to infect some people but not others and once many of the most vulnerable have been exposed, the virus recedes. And perhaps a variant needs about two months to circulate through an average-sized community.

Human behavior does play a role, with people often becoming more careful once caseloads begin to rise. But social distancing is not as important as public discussion of the virus often imagines. "We've ascribed far too much human authority over the virus," as Michael Osterholm, an infectious-disease expert at the University of Minnesota, has told me.

The recent declines, for example, have occurred even as millions of American children have again crowded into school buildings..."

I feel like there is confusion about 'seasonality' in the article in that I think it doesn't have to start at EXACTLY the same time in the same place or different region. There can be multiple 'sweet spots' climate-wise that can trigger a wave.

The Southern U.S. went through summer 'seasonal' waves in both 2020 and 2021, but the 2021 wave occurred later in the summer. I don't think it is so much that the virus knows what the EXACT date is, so can kick off its cycle like "Oh it is July 1st, time to go!!". Weather isn't static year over year.

There is obviously a more complex series of environmental variables which trigger the cycle. I do think some of that is 'weather' (in a BROAD sense) dependent. If for some reason the optimal conditions didn't kick in until a few weeks later, so be it. But I do think there is a heavy climate component to these waves.

And just because conditions are seasonally stronger in the summer in the South, doesn't mean they aren't seasonally stronger in the winter in the North. We have different climate regions. Even looking back at Hope-Simpson, it isn't like his charts have universally seasonal wave and done. Some of the climate regions have slightly more erratic waves.

I guess my overall point is that I think media oversimplifies the term 'seasonality'. Seasonality is triggered by a complex number of variables (which IMO are more climate related than human factors but could certainly include both).

EDIT: I also strongly agree with Osterholm here "We've ascribed far too much human authority over the virus". Even if I am not his biggest fan.
packgrad
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

People being misinformed and dying are two different things. You are a great example. You are misinformed, but not dying. And I never said deaths were not a problem, but please continue lying. It IS what you do, eh?

Yes, I should be able to walk into stores without the government telling me I have to wear a mask because science does not support that it is providing me any meaningful protection from the coronavirus. #science

Edit... that will be my last response to the message board guy's personal derailment. Back to the topic.
bgr3
It's maddening. I literally gathered with 56,000 of my closest friends 4 out of the last 5 weeks and lord knows how many droplets I spewed yelling myself hoarse last Saturday.

It's as though he's living in a fantasy world in which large sporting events aren't happening everyday.

Friendly reminder that dip**** is the highest paid person in the federal government, and his true belief in gain of function research is the most likely origin of all of this BS.
Wayland
Wayland said:

Civilized said:

I feel like there is confusion about 'seasonality' in the article in that I think it doesn't have to start at EXACTLY the same time in the same place or different region. There can be multiple 'sweet spots' climate-wise that can trigger a wave.

The Southern U.S. went through summer 'seasonal' waves in both 2020 and 2021, but the 2021 wave occurred later in the summer. I don't think it is so much that the virus knows what the EXACT date is, so can kick off its cycle like "Oh it is July 1st, time to go!!". Weather isn't static year over year.

There is obviously a more complex series of environmental variables which trigger the cycle. I do think some of that is 'weather' (in a BROAD sense) dependent. If for some reason the optimal conditions didn't kick in until a few weeks later, so be it. But I do think there is a heavy climate component to these waves.

And just because conditions are seasonally stronger in the summer in the South, doesn't mean they aren't seasonally stronger in the winter in the North. We have different climate regions. Even looking back at Hope-Simpson, it isn't like his charts have universally seasonal wave and done. Some of the climate regions have slightly more erratic waves.

I guess my overall point is that I think media oversimplifies the term 'seasonality'. Seasonality is triggered by a complex number of variables (which IMO are more climate related than human factors but could certainly include both).

EDIT: I also strongly agree with Osterholm here "We've ascribed far too much human authority over the virus". Even if I am not his biggest fan.

Kind of to that point of human authority. Even with a bit of a holiday disruption (whether it be testing disruption or a slight increase in cases).

Look at the Plains/Midwest last winter... cases heading down down during the holidays.

caryking
Wayland said:

Wayland said:

Civilized said:

Kind of to that point of human authority. Even with a bit of a holiday disruption (whether it be testing disruption or a slight increase in cases).

Look at the Plains/Midwest last winter... cases heading down down during the holidays.

He should be shown the door! The guy, is propped up by the media, as some expert! He failed the HIV epidemic and now, we want to listen to him again!

At some point, in my lifetime, we have to FIRE someone in the Federal Government, thats not elected! These people are sick individuals!!
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Civilized
Wayland said:

I also like clear and direct communication about the limits of our understanding.

"...Since the Covid virus began spreading in late 2019, cases have often surged for about two months sometimes because of a variant, like Delta and then declined for about two months.

Epidemiologists do not understand why."

There's needed to be a lot more of that honesty throughout COVID. There's still so much we don't know about COVID but we now know vastly more than we did 18 months ago.

In PR, either admitting you don't know something, or acting like you do know with certainty when you don't, can both obviously negatively impact perceptions of your work. People want answers, but the want the right answers.

That said, risking turning off some people by admitting you don't have all the answers is far preferable, because it doesn't poison the knowledge well down the road. Nobody should be faulted for not having all the answers in a highly fluid and rapidly evolving situation.

Acting like you've got all the answers when you don't makes some people wary of your advice forever.

I heard someone describe this one time that, with mass communication, the masses "want you to be sure, but need you to be right."

Seeming sure of something is only inspirational if you're not wrong about what you're seeming sure about.

For some LOL corollaries to this, check out the subreddit r/confidentlyincorrect. Some gems in there.

Mormad
TheStorm said:

Bolded in the post above yours...

Gotcha, thanks bud

Gonna make that my new tag line. It'll only partially piggy back off "Just a guy."
Mormad
Civilized said:

Wayland said:

I also like clear and direct communication about the limits of our understanding.

"...Since the Covid virus began spreading in late 2019, cases have often surged for about two months sometimes because of a variant, like Delta and then declined for about two months.

There's needed to be a lot more of that honesty throughout COVID. There's still so much we don't know about COVID but we now know vastly more than we did 18 months ago.

In PR, either admitting you don't know something, or acting like you do know with certainty when you don't, can both obviously negatively impact perceptions of your work. People want answers, but the want the right answers.

That said, risking turning off some people by admitting you don't have all the answers is far preferable, because it doesn't poison the knowledge well down the road. Nobody should be faulted for not having all the answers in a highly fluid and rapidly evolving situation.

Acting like you've got all the answers when you don't makes some people wary of your advice forever.

I heard someone describe this one time that, with mass communication, the masses "want you to be sure, but need you to be right."

Seeming sure of something is only inspirational if you're not wrong about what you're seeming sure about.

For some LOL corollaries to this, check out the subreddit r/confidentlyincorrect. Some gems in there.

As I've warned over and over, every statement made about covid should be understood to be qualified by "as we understand it right now." People who are dogmatic about what they think they know will often be proved the fool in time.
Mormad
Oldsouljer said:

It remains amazing that no one wants accountability from the Chinese communists or from their willing stateside collaborators, be it CDC, NIH or their GOF research partners in academia. But they expect the American people to go along unquestioningly with their outrageous mitigation recommendations. With respect to the former, a lot of people don't know that to Dems and Reps alike, NIH is their golden child. Over the years I've watched them eagerly throw money at them with precious little oversight, with the sole exception of the former Government oversight committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz, who saw a lot of his subpoenas get stonewalled by one of NIH's sub-agencies, our very own NIEHS, here in Durham, NC.

I was very ignorant of your last sentence. Really interesting stuff. Thanks.
Wayland
Mormad said:

Civilized said:

Wayland said:

As I've warned over and over, every statement made about covid should be understood to be qualified by "as we understand it right now." People who are dogmatic about what they think they know will often be proved the fool in time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We know what works," Cohen said at a news briefing Wednesday. "We're going to continue to stick with it."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We have a challenge," Cohen says, "but we know what works."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cooper - "We know what works in our fight against this pandemic,"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick just about any state briefing from the last year and a half and either Cooper or Cohen will utter those words that make me cringe.

WE

KNOW

WHAT

WORKS

Mormad
Fools
Packchem91
Wayland said:

Mormad said:

Civilized said:

Wayland said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We know what works," Cohen said at a news briefing Wednesday. "We're going to continue to stick with it."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We have a challenge," Cohen says, "but we know what works."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cooper - "We know what works in our fight against this pandemic,"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick just about any state briefing from the last year and a half and either Cooper or Cohen will utter those words that make me cringe.

WE

KNOW

WHAT

WORKS

Did someone ask them "then what the heck happened the last 3 months"?
WPNfamily
Wow that is said. Pretty sure they know what doesn't work and act like it does.
Oldsouljer
Mormad said:

Oldsouljer said:

I was very ignorant of your last sentence. Really interesting stuff. Thanks.
Sure. Btw, I don't know if it's gone public yet but I saw an email this morning from Francis Collins announcing he's stepping down as NIH director. Maybe he doesn't want to be around because something is blowing up soon, but he's been there a long time, so maybe it's just that.
packgrad
First Page Last Page
Page 390 of 570

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.