Coronavirus

2,007,000 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
Packchem91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
packgrad said:

You have a remarkable lack of self awareness. Shocked that the country has grown apart just a few posts after calling someone a POS because they don't want to wear a mask in the store.

No, that's exactly the point. Instead of cooperating for the best of all, we got people who use the most remote "facts" possible to create falsehoods and justify lies to avoid simply putting on a mask. That absolutely the kind of "I'm the most important person here" garbage that contributes to the divide.
And while I will apologize if I suggested GP himself is a POS, I won't apologize for saying that attitude and approach is one
GuerrillaPack
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

You have a remarkable lack of self awareness. Shocked that the country has grown apart just a few posts after calling someone a POS because they don't want to wear a mask in the store.

No, that's exactly the point. Instead of cooperating for the best of all, we got people who use the most remote "facts" possible to create falsehoods and justify lies to avoid simply putting on a mask. That absolutely the kind of "I'm the most important person here" garbage that contributes to the divide.
And while I will apologize if I suggested GP himself is a POS, I won't apologize for saying that attitude and approach is one
My argument is not false. I have provided evidence (studies, doctors' opinion) that prove that masks cause harm, lowering blood oxygen levels. YOUR entire argument is based on a lie. You are the one denying the truth, and denying the scientific evidence and the studies/data.

And again, the people who do not wear a mask are not harming those who do wear masks. This fallacious argument is designed to ultimately push forced vaccinations. The people that are wearing masks are supposedly "protected" by wearing their stupid face diaper, right? If they are "threatened" by someone without a face diaper, then you are admitting that the face diaper does not protect those who wear one. Same thing with the injections. Those who are injected with the poison are under no "threat" from the unjabbed. Aren't they "protected" by their precious mystery concoction jab? If they are "threatened", then you are admitting that the vaccines don't work and don't protect those who took them.

Your rhetoric about "I'm the most important person" is piggy-backing on the new Establishment talking points I've noticed over the past few days to now poo poo and marginalize civil liberties, and attack/smear those who reject these tyrannical measures based on our civil rights, saying they are "selfish" because they don't want to give up their rights to "serve the greater good". Instead, the new Leftist mantra is that the "collective good" trumps civil liberties. Sounds like some propaganda straight out of the Soviet Union.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
GuerrillaPack
I noticed something somewhat significant in reading through Raleigh's website covid pages. They are requiring city employees to either get vaccinated by September 17, or undergo weekly testing. The thing that caught my attention was that they say that this requirement is not permanent, and would cease to be in effect after the virus is no longer a threat. The standard for removing the requirement, however, is vague/ambiguous - saying it would not be in effect if there is "no significant or high community transmission". What exactly constitutes "significant" or "high"?

https://raleighnc.gov/news/2021-08-13-face-coverings-required-indoors-raleigh
Quote:

Employees who choose not to get fully vaccinated by the Sept. 17 deadline must get tested weekly for COVID-19. This requirement will remain in place until Wake County's positivity rate is less than 5 percent and there is no significant or high community transmission.

I think this is significant, because it shows that these vaccine mandates are possibly not going to be permanent. But who knows...because with the way they keep hyping and intentionally falsely inflating the "case numbers", they may never say that the threat from the virus is below that vague/ambiguous threshold.

So, that's something to keep in mind when more employers start mandating these vaccines. Remember that this vaccine or testing requirement will not be forever. Maybe it will cease to be a requirement in another 6, 12, or 18 months. So don't give in to the pressure and think that you "must" take the injection. Stand your ground for a season (short period of time), and perhaps "this too shall pass". They are doing all this to try to bully and pressure as many people as possible into taking the injection. But eventually they will hit a brick wall and won't be able to force that last group of people, and will cease with those tactics.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wayland
caryking said:

Man, this thread has sunk directly into a **** thread! I know I've added my share of post; however, it's really just awful!!

What happens when I go out of town for the weekend.
Oldsouljer
wilmwolf80 said:

As for kids wearing masks in schools, my two cents is that priority number one is having kids in schools. If that means they have to wear masks to satisfy the Twitter brigades, it sucks, but it's better than virtual learning. Kids need to be in schools so parents can go to work.

With that said, if they are going the mask route in schools, then there should not be any stoppages or quarantines if there are positive tests. If we are all in on the masks protect kids train, then that's that. There has to be an end game. The cycle of quarantines and mask mandates has to stop somewhere.
No reason why it can't. India seems to have put down their Delta epidemic in just five weeks with the widespread use of Ivermectin. Monoclonal antibody treatment is another promising option. Wrecking lives, personal liberties and the Economy with dark age measures like mask mandates and lockdowns should never be an option.
griff17matt
Oldsouljer said:

wilmwolf80 said:

As for kids wearing masks in schools, my two cents is that priority number one is having kids in schools. If that means they have to wear masks to satisfy the Twitter brigades, it sucks, but it's better than virtual learning. Kids need to be in schools so parents can go to work.

With that said, if they are going the mask route in schools, then there should not be any stoppages or quarantines if there are positive tests. If we are all in on the masks protect kids train, then that's that. There has to be an end game. The cycle of quarantines and mask mandates has to stop somewhere.
No reason why it can't. India seems to have put down their Delta epidemic in just five weeks with the widespread use of Ivermectin. Monoclonal antibody treatment is another promising option. Wrecking lives, personal liberties and the Economy with dark age measures like mask mandates and lockdowns should never be an option.

India had strict lockdowns in their large cities.
Packchem91
griff17matt said:

Oldsouljer said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah I have some staff in India....it was very strict. Also extremely under-vaccinated, at least when the large spike started.
griff17matt
Packchem91 said:

griff17matt said:

Oldsouljer said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah I have some staff in India....it was very strict. Also extremely under-vaccinated, at least when the large spike started.

Still are. We have to remember how seriously underdeveloped the country is as a whole though. Like 6% are fully vaccinated I think?

My counterparts are in India and they were only allowed to leave for the grocery store or pharmacy I think. And that was restricted to like once or twice a week I think. It was baaaad bad for a hot minute there. One guy had something like 5 or 6 people in his apartment building die in the delta wave and a few family members too. Brutal. His stories to me were really the catalyst to get me thinking about getting the vaccine before it's FDA approved. It was really, really bad really, really quickly.

Part of my resistance is that I've already had it in the first wave before we knew what it was. I've got too many kids counting on me to be alive to be a stickler over this though. I dunno. I just hate how politicized and fearmongered it has become. I feel like I can't trust anyone to give me legit unvarnished truth without some ulterior motive.
Packchem91
griff17matt said:

Packchem91 said:

griff17matt said:

Oldsouljer said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Still are. We have to remember how seriously underdeveloped the country is as a whole though. Like 6% are fully vaccinated I think?

My counterparts are in India and they were only allowed to leave for the grocery store or pharmacy I think. And that was restricted to like once or twice a week I think. It was baaaad bad for a hot minute there. One guy had something like 5 or 6 people in his apartment building die in the delta wave and a few family members too. Brutal. His stories to me were really the catalyst to get me thinking about getting the vaccine before it's FDA approved. It was really, really bad really, really quickly.

Part of my resistance is that I've already had it in the first wave before we knew what it was. I've got too many kids counting on me to be alive to be a stickler over this though. I dunno. I just hate how politicized and fearmongered it has become. I feel like I can't trust anyone to give me legit unvarnished truth without some ulterior motive.
Yeah, one of our guys died....he was <30. No idea if he had other conditions...the only thing I know was he was not obese. But his apartment building was particularly hard hit

And yes, they were very restricted...controlled times to go to certain places. Ill have to have ask them next week how that's going. I've been focused on a different project the past couple months, not working with my offshore team, so frankly not up to how things are there now. But when I asked the guys several months ago in the height of the deaths there....they were talking about the low vaccine rate but also the huge undertaking to vaccinate over a billion people
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Sometimes you have to lose a battle to win the war. Another year of kids not in school and parents not working and we may not be able to recover.
They are slowly getting you indoctrinated my friend... you usually don't fall for this **** ... but now you somehow feel that you need to comply.

Masks isn't what it's all about. You know that this isn't the end.

So what is all about then? When rates were low, they didn't suggest you wear themI think it's safe to assume if they'd stayed low, we would still be mask less. So what do you think will happen after this?
This is about nothing more than the uber-liberal Teacher's Union and the Democratic Party taking more control over our lives. If they win this, then next up is teaching critical race theory in North Carolina like they have going on in our direct neighbor to the north.

This isn't about protecting kids whatsoever and you know that.
Civilized
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Sometimes you have to lose a battle to win the war. Another year of kids not in school and parents not working and we may not be able to recover.
They are slowly getting you indoctrinated my friend... you usually don't fall for this **** ... but now you somehow feel that you need to comply.

So what is all about then? When rates were low, they didn't suggest you wear themI think it's safe to assume if they'd stayed low, we would still be mask less. So what do you think will happen after this?
This is about nothing more than the uber-liberal Teacher's Union and the Democratic Party taking more control over our lives. If they win this, then next up is teaching critical race theory in North Carolina like they have going on in our direct neighbor to the north.

How would Dems taking more control over your life manifest?

When the rubber hits the road, what would that power grab look like and how would it impact you?
BBW12OG
Typical....

Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
TheStorm
https://www.foxnews.com/media/maureen-dowd-nyt-obama-marie-antoinette-birthday-party-twitter

I'm only posting this due to our current discussion. As far as I am concerned, I could care less if they were / weren't wearing masks. It's a personal choice. Just like it should be a personal choice if you want to wear a mask, get vaccinated or make your kid wear a mask in school. It is kind of funny to see the NYT railing about though.

Choices for me but not for thee.

I say we all get to choose and make our own decisions.

- I never got tested because I never felt sick.

- If I caught it, I was asymptomatic (chances are that I probably caught it at some point in time and never knew it - like most people that caught it).

- I wore a mask wherever I was required, until that glorious day in May.

- My wife and I both got vaccinated because we were comfortable in doing so.

I will not being wearing a mask anytime again in the foreseeable future as I see no currently compelling reason for it, but I respect others rights to make their own personal decisions. If my kids were still of school age they would not be wearing masks to school. If people want to wear masks that is fine by me and I'm not going to bother them about it. I'm going to live my own life and I think others should continue to go about living theirs as well. Parents should decide what is best for their children, not some uber-liberal Teacher's Union with corrupt values - especially when there is no real risk involved.
Daviewolf83
There was someone named "Mooncake" on Twitter this morning, poking fun at the Southerners who are now suffering from Covid. Apparently, the North is made up of a much better person and will not suffer from Covid any longer. Here were some of their comments and at the bottom, you will see a screenshot of my reply. The graph I attached is cases in San Francisco - one of the most heavily vaccinated cities in the US.

Daviewolf83
I put this quick chart together to show the daily hospitalizations, plotted on a logarithmic scale. The purpose, as I have explained in past posts, is so you can better tell the rate of change in a graph. I wish I had more recent data, but NCDHHS has only provided the daily hospitalization numbers through August 9.

As you can see from this chart, the rate of daily admissions is slowing down from July. I need to see more recent data to draw any conclusions, but I am optimistic it is showing that the peak for hospitalizations is not too far from now. I will provide an update to this chart on Tuesday, when NCDHHS should provide their next update.

Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Gotcha. But I think those two things are independent of each other, and particular counties are going to evolve to CRT regardless clearly the more liberal counties.
waynecountywolf
GP,
not sure if this is the correct thread but I am throwing you a bone today.
https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_3bc016ee-fba2-11eb-9300-af4a15406b92.html

Need proof of COVID vaccine? LA Wallet app can store your vaccine card on your phone

I am just here for the conspiracy theories
Mormad
Daviewolf83 said:

I put this quick chart together to show the daily hospitalizations, plotted on a logarithmic scale. The purpose, as I have explained in past posts, is so you can better tell the rate of change in a graph. I wish I had more recent data, but NCDHHS has only provided the daily hospitalization numbers through August 9.

As you can see from this chart, the rate of daily admissions is slowing down from July. I need to see more recent data to draw any conclusions, but I am optimistic it is showing that the peak for hospitalizations is not too far from now. I will provide an update to this chart on Tuesday, when NCDHHS should provide their next update.

I so appreciate your time and your graphs and interpretations, Davie. I do have some questions about this graph.

1. The y-axis jumps from 1 to 10 to 100 to 1000. It's exponential. So, is the graph flattening once admissions are over 100/day giving me a false sense of security, since a small rise corresponds to a much larger n? Or am i looking at it wrong?

2. How accurate is the data? We've questioned the data the entire pandemic, and depending on personal views, people here and elsewhere feel the data is anywhere from completely fabricated, to inaccurate due to delays in reporting, to inaccurate due to over or under reporting, to completely accurate and trustworthy. You and i know it's somewhere in between. When this came out the 9th, how accurately did it reflect data in real time since we know numbers change very rapidly at times, and at those times hospitals are much less accurate or timely in their reporting?

3. Locally, we've seen a huge uptick in admissions. Others, like packPA report similar issues where they are. You follow the state much more closely than i do. My local graph will likely see a big upturn if the numbers reported are accurate and timely when the data is released Tuesday. We've been outliers before here. Do you expect this across the state, and if so, how long are you predicting to actually peak and will that prediction change if the numbers have rapidly risen? I've seen your predictions and I've read Monica's, but not sure what analytics you're using to determine your prediction. But i have learned to trust your insight here and I'm trying to better understand so i can help lead decision making here.
GuerrillaPack
There's another Chipotle that I go to sometimes, the one in Southpoint Mall in Durham. I just called them over the phone to ask if they accommodate those who qualify for the medical/health exemption, and don't have to wear a mask. He told me, and I quote, "We have people eating here right now without masks. Durham County passed a mask mandate, but we don't really enforce it."

Hahahaa
packgrad
GuerrillaPack said:

There's another Chipotle that I go to sometimes, the one in Southpoint Mall in Durham. I just called them over the phone to ask if they accommodate those who qualify for the medical/health exemption, and don't have to wear a mask. He told me, and I quote, "We have people eating here right now without masks. Durham County passed a mask mandate, but we don't really enforce it."

Hahahaa

Stopped at a Mexican joint in Garner on the way back from ILM and not a word was said to the vast majority that entered maskless. I guess to the sheep they are all POS but I'm happy to see the civil disobedience for virtue signaling policy.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Hahahaa

Stopped at a Mexican joint in Garner on the way back from ILM and not a word was said to the vast majority that entered maskless. I guess to the sheep they are all POS but I'm happy to see the civil disobedience for virtue signaling policy.
Not every hero wears a cape, PG. Congratulations, you civil disobedience hero you. LOL. IF they didn't ask you, you aren't exactly going on a limb. I have no issue whatsoever if these companies decide not to enforce e the policy. But if they do, comply, or leave...its really a pretty easy choice.
packgrad
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Hahahaa

Not every hero wears a cape, PG. Congratulations, you civil disobedience hero you. LOL. IF they didn't ask you, you aren't exactly going on a limb. I have no issue whatsoever if these companies decide not to enforce e the policy. But if they do, comply, or leave...its really a pretty easy choice.

Aww. Message board guy. Sorry you're in your feelings because you think people that don't wear masks are POS. You keep trying to be the message board hero. Hope your posts turn blue!!!
wilmwolf
Overheard one of my clients in a phone call to a relative in New York telling them they shouldn't come for a vacation since covid is so bad here because nobody wears masks. I just rolled my eyes.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Daviewolf83
Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

I so appreciate your time and your graphs and interpretations, Davie. I do have some questions about this graph.

1. The y-axis jumps from 1 to 10 to 100 to 1000. It's exponential. So, is the graph flattening once admissions are over 100/day giving me a false sense of security, since a small rise corresponds to a much larger n? Or am i looking at it wrong?

2. How accurate is the data? We've questioned the data the entire pandemic, and depending on personal views, people here and elsewhere feel the data is anywhere from completely fabricated, to inaccurate due to delays in reporting, to inaccurate due to over or under reporting, to completely accurate and trustworthy. You and i know it's somewhere in between. When this came out the 9th, how accurately did it reflect data in real time since we know numbers change very rapidly at times, and at those times hospitals are much less accurate or timely in their reporting?

3. Locally, we've seen a huge uptick in admissions. Others, like packPA report similar issues where they are. You follow the state much more closely than i do. My local graph will likely see a big upturn if the numbers reported are accurate and timely when the data is released Tuesday. We've been outliers before here. Do you expect this across the state, and if so, how long are you predicting to actually peak and will that prediction change if the numbers have rapidly risen? I've seen your predictions and I've read Monica's, but not sure what analytics you're using to determine your prediction. But i have learned to trust your insight here and I'm trying to better understand so i can help lead decision making here.
All good questions. I will try to give you some answers and insights, plus I will provide another graph I find provides an interesting cut of the data.

1. The flattening of the graph means the rate of change in the daily increase in admissions to the hospital is stabilizing. It is a base 10 logarithmic plot of the y-axis. I do this to examine if the initial surge is stabilizing. What I have seen in the past that this flattening precedes a peak in the data. It is just a way to try and predict if we are coming close to a more stable increases and a potential peak in hospitalizations. Think of it more as a reflection of the change in the slope of the daily admissions curve. This hospitalization curve has been much more steep than the Winter Wave curve which I believe reflects the increase the Delta's ability to infect people.

2. The accuracy with anything coming from NCDHHS has always been suspect which is why I prefer this data. I am plotting are the daily hospital admission numbers that show up in the Hospitalization Demographics portion of the Covid dashboard. This data does have a built in lag and it typically lags by about 6 days. For example, the last data reported are admissions on 8/9. I do like this data, since it is more accurate than the daily hospitalization numbers reported. The daily hospitalization numbers have a few issues and the biggest of these is the daily fluctuation in the percentage of hospitals reporting. For example, over the last 14 days, the average percentage of hospitals reporting has been 96%, but during this period it has ranged from 91% to 97% of hospitals reporting. This is why I look at daily admissions more than I do the current population.

The other issue with the total number currently hospitalized is this - it is sticky data. In other words, there are factors involved that cause these numbers to not entirely reflect what is happening. How long is the average stay in the hospital? What is the standard deviation for this length of stay? How stable is the standard deviation? Can admits outpace the rate of discharge? When they do, what is the impact on the total hospitalized. For example, the number of those hospitalized my be increasing because the rate of admissions over a few days may be outpacing discharges. It only takes a few days of this to really bump up the total population. Due to all of these unknown variables (unknown to me, but I am sure others in the hospital system have access to them), I am using daily admissions.

The other reason I use daily admissions of hospitals is due to the inaccuracies in the daily case numbers reported. The daily case numbers are dependent on the number of tests being administered and people's access to testing. We also know the reported cases do not capture all active cases. They only capture the cases of people who decide to get tested. The actual number of cases is definitely higher than what gets reported. Given these variables, I find daily hospitalizations to be a much more meaningful number to measure and report. It does not suffer the same issues as case reporting and it does not have the stickiness of the daily hospitalized number.

3. Both you and PackPA are in unique locations in the state, as you can see from the first graph below. As you an see, your hospital group is in an area seeing much higher rates (meaning slope of curve) than many of the other hospital groups in the state. I can see how this would impact your thinking about what is happening and it is somewhat atypical for the rest of the state. There are some areas of the state where it appears the hospitalizations are starting to flatten out, but this is not true for our area. Your curve (THPC) is the second highest in the state, trailing only the MHPC group. I am not entirely certain, but I believe PackPA may cover some of the hospitals in the MHCP group. These two groups are most definitely seeing more hospitalization than any of the other groups. The third highest hit group (MCRHC) represents an area of the state with some of the lowest vaccination rates, so it should not be surprising it is third. The area of the state where I live is the most heavily vaccinated area and this is reflected in the curve. Despite having the largest populated city (Raleigh), the hospitals in this group (CapRAC and DHCP) have much lower hospitalizations (even when you combine them) and also appear to be the ones that are flattening out.

As far as my predictions are concerned and as you can see from the chart below, I do believe large portions of the state are starting to peak. I am using last year's Summer Wave curve to try and approximate when we will hit the peak, but the Delta variant and the fact it is more infectious, has cause me to slide my predictions more to the right than I originally anticipated. The mask mandates going into effect are also giving me something to consider, since it is possible they could prolong the Summer Wave, beyond where it would end up if we were to let it behave naturally. What we saw when Delta hit the UK is a very sharp increase (something we have seen here as well), one with a much higher slope than the Winter Wave, but also a much more rapid decrease. In other words, the faster it climbs, the faster it falls. The mask mandates my slow the rise, but they may slow the spread, but the spread will still occur. As you have said before, the virus is going to virus.

Last Summer, the wave peaked in early August and by the first part of September, it was over. This year, the wave started later (roughly mid-July) and this is why I have thought it would peak by the end of August - roughly delayed by two weeks from last Summer. If you look at the hospitalizations curves for many areas of the state, it appears this prediction could hold. For your area and and those in the southwestern, western and southern areas of the state, it could happen a little later, but the speed by which it ends could be faster.

4. As a bonus chart, I have updated the chart that shows the estimated (I assume cases are a valid case for 14 days) percentage of Covid infected people who are in the hospital, mapped against total hospitalizations. As you can see from the chart, the estimated percentage of those hospitalized is almost flat, with a value of 4.2%. This percentage continues to fall, even though the hospitalizations are increasing. This is another indicator I use to reflect how much more severe the Delta variant is than the other variants. Based on this declining percentage, my opinion is it is not more severe and it does not lead to greater hospitalizations from severity. The increase in hospitalizations are actually lower, from a percentage basis, than you would expect to see, given its increased ability to infect people.

BBW12OG
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Hahahaa

Yeah..... Just think if the Woolworth Counter guys did the same thing... or Rosa Parks... Civil Rights are Civil Rights...

Sorry you and your MARXIST/COMMUNIST cult buddies don't see it that way. But please explain to me how it's different. You spent months screaming follow the science. Well the science you and your ilk follow mean follow the government blindly and question nothing.

Now that may be an extreme comparison but ask yourself "is it really?" What is the end game comrade Chem? Where is your lefty brigade taking this country?

And it's just as easy as a choice to not enforce obvious government overreach. This is all to set up mail-in voting, online voting, ballot harvesting so you and your party can enforce single party rule.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
Mormad
Awesome. Thank you.
caryking
Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

wilmwolf80 said:

When the rubber hits the road, what would that power grab look like and how would it impact you?
Civ, you are the prototype of a "taking more control over your life"! If you only knew how bad it is living with liberals, you would ask for the education system to be changed!!
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Oldsouljer
wilmwolf80 said:

Overheard one of my clients in a phone call to a relative in New York telling them they shouldn't come for a vacation since covid is so bad here because nobody wears masks. I just rolled my eyes.
Par for the course, they also think education is superior up there too.
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

All good questions. I will try to give you some answers and insights, plus I will provide another graph I find provides an interesting cut of the data.

1. The flattening of the graph means the rate of change in the daily increase in admissions to the hospital is stabilizing. It is a base 10 logarithmic plot of the y-axis. I do this to examine if the initial surge is stabilizing. What I have seen in the past that this flattening precedes a peak in the data. It is just a way to try and predict if we are coming close to a more stable increases and a potential peak in hospitalizations. Think of it more as a reflection of the change in the slope of the daily admissions curve. This hospitalization curve has been much more steep than the Winter Wave curve which I believe reflects the increase the Delta's ability to infect people.

2. The accuracy with anything coming from NCDHHS has always been suspect which is why I prefer this data. I am plotting are the daily hospital admission numbers that show up in the Hospitalization Demographics portion of the Covid dashboard. This data does have a built in lag and it typically lags by about 6 days. For example, the last data reported are admissions on 8/9. I do like this data, since it is more accurate than the daily hospitalization numbers reported. The daily hospitalization numbers have a few issues and the biggest of these is the daily fluctuation in the percentage of hospitals reporting. For example, over the last 14 days, the average percentage of hospitals reporting has been 96%, but during this period it has ranged from 91% to 97% of hospitals reporting. This is why I look at daily admissions more than I do the current population.

The other issue with the total number currently hospitalized is this - it is sticky data. In other words, there are factors involved that cause these numbers to not entirely reflect what is happening. How long is the average stay in the hospital? What is the standard deviation for this length of stay? How stable is the standard deviation? Can admits outpace the rate of discharge? When they do, what is the impact on the total hospitalized. For example, the number of those hospitalized my be increasing because the rate of admissions over a few days may be outpacing discharges. It only takes a few days of this to really bump up the total population. Due to all of these unknown variables (unknown to me, but I am sure others in the hospital system have access to them), I am using daily admissions.

The other reason I use daily admissions of hospitals is due to the inaccuracies in the daily case numbers reported. The daily case numbers are dependent on the number of tests being administered and people's access to testing. We also know the reported cases do not capture all active cases. They only capture the cases of people who decide to get tested. The actual number of cases is definitely higher than what gets reported. Given these variables, I find daily hospitalizations to be a much more meaningful number to measure and report. It does not suffer the same issues as case reporting and it does not have the stickiness of the daily hospitalized number.

3. Both you and PackPA are in unique locations in the state, as you can see from the first graph below. As you an see, your hospital group is in an area seeing much higher rates (meaning slope of curve) than many of the other hospital groups in the state. I can see how this would impact your thinking about what is happening and it is somewhat atypical for the rest of the state. There are some areas of the state where it appears the hospitalizations are starting to flatten out, but this is not true for our area. Your curve (THPC) is the second highest in the state, trailing only the MHPC group. I am not entirely certain, but I believe PackPA may cover some of the hospitals in the MHCP group. These two groups are most definitely seeing more hospitalization than any of the other groups. The third highest hit group (MCRHC) represents an area of the state with some of the lowest vaccination rates, so it should not be surprising it is third. The area of the state where I live is the most heavily vaccinated area and this is reflected in the curve. Despite having the largest populated city (Raleigh), the hospitals in this group (CapRAC and DHCP) have much lower hospitalizations (even when you combine them) and also appear to be the ones that are flattening out.

As far as my predictions are concerned and as you can see from the chart below, I do believe large portions of the state are starting to peak. I am using last year's Summer Wave curve to try and approximate when we will hit the peak, but the Delta variant and the fact it is more infectious, has cause me to slide my predictions more to the right than I originally anticipated. The mask mandates going into effect are also giving me something to consider, since it is possible they could prolong the Summer Wave, beyond where it would end up if we were to let it behave naturally. What we saw when Delta hit the UK is a very sharp increase (something we have seen here as well), one with a much higher slope than the Winter Wave, but also a much more rapid decrease. In other words, the faster it climbs, the faster it falls. The mask mandates my slow the rise, but they may slow the spread, but the spread will still occur. As you have said before, the virus is going to virus.

Last Summer, the wave peaked in early August and by the first part of September, it was over. This year, the wave started later (roughly mid-July) and this is why I have thought it would peak by the end of August - roughly delayed by two weeks from last Summer. If you look at the hospitalizations curves for many areas of the state, it appears this prediction could hold. For your area and and those in the southwestern, western and southern areas of the state, it could happen a little later, but the speed by which it ends could be faster.

4. As a bonus chart, I have updated the chart that shows the estimated (I assume cases are a valid case for 14 days) percentage of Covid infected people who are in the hospital, mapped against total hospitalizations. As you can see from the chart, the estimated percentage of those hospitalized is almost flat, with a value of 4.2%. This percentage continues to fall, even though the hospitalizations are increasing. This is another indicator I use to reflect how much more severe the Delta variant is than the other variants. Based on this declining percentage, my opinion is it is not more severe and it does not lead to greater hospitalizations from severity. The increase in hospitalizations are actually lower, from a percentage basis, than you would expect to see, given its increased ability to infect people.

Also with current hospitalizations, nosocomial infections could possibly come into play. Not saying they are a huge number, but still would count.

And with cases, testing levels have really ramped up the last few weeks and continue to increase week over week.

I am still watching the %ED visits with diagnosed COVID from the CDC. Unfortunately, the last downturn, turned out to be a fake out and lead us more into the plateau we are in, but did correspond to the continued slowing of the growth.

I guess get a few more days of data and see what this week brings.

And to just zoom into recent weeks. Hopefully the backfill isn't too large this week. (Don't fully trust the most recent few days of ED data)

Civilized
caryking said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Civ, you are the prototype of a "taking more control over your life"! If you only knew how bad it is living with liberals, you would ask for the education system to be changed!!

Feels a lot like you and Storm are just railing against liberal boogeymen rather than responding to specific concerns about control over your life.
BBW12OG
Civilized said:

caryking said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Feels a lot like you and Storm are just railing against liberal boogeymen rather than responding to specific concerns about control over your life.
I try to avoid addressing the bleating of a mindless sheep... but you persist in baiting.... there have been countless examples given but you are too blind to see and accept them. That's a fact. Addressing you has and always will be pointless because you are nothing but a mindless follower of the left.

Now I'm sure you will flag this for moderation like all my posts so hopefully you will get to read this before it disappears.

Now run along before you fall to far behind the rest of your flock. BAAAAA....!!!! BAAAAA.....!!!!
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

- Thomas Jefferson
TheStorm
I think I hear the wind blowing again...
Packchem91
Way: if nothing else today...thank you for expanding my vocab today -- I had never ever heard of "nosocomial". I like that word now. Well, the sound of it.... don't like its result.
Civilized
TheStorm said:

I think I hear the wind blowing again...

Storm with every post of yours your 'cue and cobbler and bourbon tailgate portions are getting smaller and smaller.
PackPA2015
Great post, Davie. I work in the MAHPC hospital group, but have many patients from the MHPC group. We use hospitals in that area as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 349 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.