Coronavirus

2,007,055 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Werewolf
TheStorm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
packgrad said:

Yeah, but the talking points that routinely get distributed by the MSM are that NYC is 90% vaccinated, Chicago and Detroit 75%, etc...

Nothing but one big ****ing lie.

But Civ eats that **** up like it's the gospel.
TheStorm
statefan91 said:

Another Republican stronghold I might add...
TheStorm
Wayland said:

Packchem91 said:

Wayland said:

Mormad said:

This thread is slowing down. I better post some more about masks.

I am sure more drama will be on the way. When the inevitable peak to this seasonal/variant wave comes, we are going to have to do something until the next viral wave in the winter.
Nahhh, NC public schools start in 2 weeks, with all kinds of different mandates in effect. And as news stories start churning out about illnesses, that will create lots of drama on the thread.

I have some things to say there, but am waiting until Tuesday.
Can't wait to see the next "Wayland Unleased" episode... I loved the last one!
Daviewolf83
Packchem91 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

Saw estimates of 250k students
Wonder if there will be any "die-hards" who just completely refuse to comply?

How does this compare with what Davie said they are doing at Wake?
Wake Forest requires all students and staff to be vaccinated. Those that have a verified medical or religious exemption do not have to be vaccinated. Currently, 97% of the students and staff are fully vaccinated and those who are not will be tested weekly. Only those with an exemption are the ones not vaccinated. For my son's team, only three players are unvaccinated (have to have one of the two exemptions to not be vaccinated). All staff and coaches are fully vaccinated.

For media covering Wake Forest's live events this Fall, they must all be fully vaccinated and must all wear a mask (indoors and outdoors). The mask rule was newly added this week. Prior to this week, they were only requiring vaccination. Wake is unique with regards to football and media access. Unlike State and other area programs, they allow media to attend all Fall practices, until the last week of Fall Camp. For games, any place where the media may come in contact with players, they must be fully vaccinated. I am not sure about the additional requirement to mask, once the season starts. As far as the mask requirement is concerned, it is likely a reaction to what happened with State's vaccinated players at the CWS in June (ie., vaccinated players tested positive).

I did hear yesterday that UNC will restrict the number of photographers on the field for a game at 16 total. This is a big jump from last year when it was only a handful of photographers. I do know a few photographers have gotten approved for credentials for Wake Forest and I do not know if they are capping the numbers, like they are doing at UNC. For State, I know IPS has requested credentials for the season, but I do not know the status of the request. The ACC is supposed to issue their testing protocols for the season in the next two weeks.

For State's opening practice for Fall Camp yesterday, no masking or vaccination was required of the media. I will point out that the entire event was outdoors and the media were only there for approximately 70 minutes. After half of the practice, the media were required to leave and all future practices are closed to the media. I was happy to finally get to attend a college event as a member of the media yesterday. It had been 16 months, since we (photographers) were allowed on the sidelines of any game or practice. It was nice to finally catch up with the photographers from the other publications that cover State and the local press photographers.
Thanks for the compare of various stakeholders.

And I saw your pic from yesterday, but did not realize you were doing photography. Hope you catch some great scenes his season!
Thanks. I have been working as a sports photographer for IPS for the past several years (for almost the same amount of time the site has existed). I photograph for IPS part-time and hope to do it more when I retire in a year-ish. You have seen a lot of my photos on IPS over the years, but probably did not realize it. In past years, I have shot a couple of football games each year (depending on my son's schedule of games),all men's basketball home and some away games, women's basketball games, and baseball for IPS. I have been fortunate to also shoot ACC (men's and women's) and NCAA tournaments (basketball and baseball) over the years for IPS. Previous to shooting for IPS, I shot approximately 90 sporting events a year for my son and daughter's school (middle school and high school sports) for four years. You name a sport and I have probably photographed it.
Packchem91
Daviewolf83 said:

Packchem91 said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

Saw estimates of 250k students
Wonder if there will be any "die-hards" who just completely refuse to comply?

How does this compare with what Davie said they are doing at Wake?
Wake Forest requires all students and staff to be vaccinated. Those that have a verified medical or religious exemption do not have to be vaccinated. Currently, 97% of the students and staff are fully vaccinated and those who are not will be tested weekly. Only those with an exemption are the ones not vaccinated. For my son's team, only three players are unvaccinated (have to have one of the two exemptions to not be vaccinated). All staff and coaches are fully vaccinated.

For media covering Wake Forest's live events this Fall, they must all be fully vaccinated and must all wear a mask (indoors and outdoors). The mask rule was newly added this week. Prior to this week, they were only requiring vaccination. Wake is unique with regards to football and media access. Unlike State and other area programs, they allow media to attend all Fall practices, until the last week of Fall Camp. For games, any place where the media may come in contact with players, they must be fully vaccinated. I am not sure about the additional requirement to mask, once the season starts. As far as the mask requirement is concerned, it is likely a reaction to what happened with State's vaccinated players at the CWS in June (ie., vaccinated players tested positive).

I did hear yesterday that UNC will restrict the number of photographers on the field for a game at 16 total. This is a big jump from last year when it was only a handful of photographers. I do know a few photographers have gotten approved for credentials for Wake Forest and I do not know if they are capping the numbers, like they are doing at UNC. For State, I know IPS has requested credentials for the season, but I do not know the status of the request. The ACC is supposed to issue their testing protocols for the season in the next two weeks.

For State's opening practice for Fall Camp yesterday, no masking or vaccination was required of the media. I will point out that the entire event was outdoors and the media were only there for approximately 70 minutes. After half of the practice, the media were required to leave and all future practices are closed to the media. I was happy to finally get to attend a college event as a member of the media yesterday. It had been 16 months, since we (photographers) were allowed on the sidelines of any game or practice. It was nice to finally catch up with the photographers from the other publications that cover State and the local press photographers.
Thanks for the compare of various stakeholders.

And I saw your pic from yesterday, but did not realize you were doing photography. Hope you catch some great scenes his season!
Thanks. I have been working as a sports photographer for IPS for the past several years (for almost the same amount of time the site has existed). I photograph for IPS part-time and hope to do it more when I retire in a year-ish. You have seen a lot of my photos on IPS over the years, but probably did not realize it. In past years, I have shot a couple of football games each year (depending on my son's schedule of games),all men's basketball home and some away games, women's basketball games, and baseball for IPS. I have been fortunate to also shoot ACC (men's and women's) and NCAA tournaments (basketball and baseball) over the years for IPS. Previous to shooting for IPS, I shot approximately 90 sporting events a year for my son and daughter's school (middle school and high school sports) for four years. You name a sport and I have probably photographed it.
Good for you! And no, I had never realized that even here on IPS.
DrummerboyWolf
packgrad said:

dogplasma said:

I wonder how the pay-for-participation will affect us in the future. Are more people going to hold out for future vaccines to see if they get paid? Probably not enough to make a big difference, but still, maybe an unintended consequence of rewarding that sort of decision making.

I think it's already reached it's high point for the vaccine. Next step is pay for booster shots. When you start seeing that you can rest assured its all about control.
I know you know this, but it's always been about control.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
packgrad
DrummerboyWolf said:

packgrad said:

dogplasma said:

I wonder how the pay-for-participation will affect us in the future. Are more people going to hold out for future vaccines to see if they get paid? Probably not enough to make a big difference, but still, maybe an unintended consequence of rewarding that sort of decision making.

I think it's already reached it's high point for the vaccine. Next step is pay for booster shots. When you start seeing that you can rest assured its all about control.
I know you know this, but it's always been about control.

Agreed. My nephew, not blood but love, starts State next week. He's not vaccinated and doesn't want to be. He's dreading the weekly testing, but isn't intending to get vaccinated. My niece, blood and love, finishes boot camp next week before starting her final year of high school and is not vaccinated. My brother, her dad, found out today he can't travel to be at her graduation due to blood clots. (I told PA, I think, he had moderna vaccine. I was incorrect. He had J&J). His doctor told him it could have been due to the vaccination and surgery. With the news from the Pentagon this week, looks like she gets to unfortunately make the same decision. Kills me.
caryking
Again, a follow up to my videos...

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/aug/5/biden-teams-misguided-and-deadly-covid-19-vaccine-/
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
So after not being tested throughout Covid, I've now had to go thru it twice in a week
Once Friday to fly home
Monday, I developed a dry cough. Last night, it grew to a runny nose
Common symptoms of the same cold I get every single winter (except this last one)

Because I'm supposed to be with my parents and in-laws tomorrow, all in mid-upper 70s, figured better to be safe

Just got quick test negative a few moments ago.
Wasn't particularly worried, except you quickly realize how many people you are around, even if just in your home.

I will say, tying to the UNC discussionafter two tests, if I had to be tested every week, I'd have to be hard core anti-vaccines to not give in and be vaccinated.
packgrad
Well, that's the goal isn't it. Someone that is at essentially zero percent risk is stigmatized as being hardcore anti something that poses zero risk to them. Scarlet letter. Labels.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

Well, that's the goal isn't it. Someone that is at essentially zero percent risk is stigmatized as being hardcore anti something that poses zero risk to them. Scarlet letter. Labels.

Oh no doubt. That policy is all about driving compliance. I can't imagine many will hold out.
wilmwolf
Everyone I know has had something similar recently (my circle is admittedly small). I had a couple of days of stuffy nose, but never felt like I needed to be tested. It is going to be tough to get back to being sick and not immediately worrying about Rona.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Everyone I know has had something similar recently (my circle is admittedly small). I had a couple of days of stuffy nose, but never felt like I needed to be tested. It is going to be tough to get back to being sick and not immediately worrying about Rona.

Yeah I've got several folks on my staff (all remote) who have had the same summer cold symptoms in last week or two

At first I blew it off, but after realizing the # of people my wife amd daughter come in contact with, and with family plansyou do worry a bit, especially given the recent spate of cases of vaccinated folks getting it mildly. Testing is at least convenient enough, if also unpleasant
caryking
Have you seen the data out of Israel? Two things as I understand it:

• 90% + are vaccinated
  • Same % are getting COVID
  • Now they are saying that vaccines have about a 6 month life

So, the vaccines are more like prophylactic than a real vaccine... ok, I know that last statement is out there; however, what's the real difference at this point...

Joe Biden
caryking
I finally agree with Democrats...

Joe Biden
BP Cox
Staff
Folks...obviously this is a very concerning topic for us all. Debate is not a bad thing but let's keep things respectable, not personal.

Please stop flagging every post from someone you might not agree with. If you have that many issues with the person please use the ignore feature.

Our subscribers are what makes the IPS site a great community of NC State family and friends. Let's work to make sure that does not change.
IPS Photojournalist
@BPCox_
WarrenPeace
Flagging a post is for sissy boys. Man up. Quit being little tattle tales.
Civilized
caryking said:

• 90% + are vaccinated

So, the vaccines are more like prophylactic than a real vaccine... ok, I know that last statement is out there; however, what's the real difference at this point...

This is the exact same circumstance that we discussed two weeks ago in the UK.

If 50% of new cases are in the vaxxed, and 50% in the unvaxxed, but 90% are vaccinated it means vaccines are working extremely well.

Think of it this way, if you take a sample of 100 adults in Israel, 10 would be unvaxxed and 90 would be vaxxed. Of the 10 unvaxxed, 3 may pop positive. Of the 90 vaxxed, 3 would pop positive. 10 unvaxxed Israelis are generating the same number of positives as 90 vaxxed Israelis. That's great real-world effectiveness at preventing infection.

And that doesn't even speak to the effectiveness of vaccines at preventing serious or fatal COVID.

Also nobody is saying the vaccines have a 6 month "life." It's being speculated that vaccine protection against infection starts to wane after 6 months, however protection against serious or fatal COVID seems to continue to be robust.
Daviewolf83
Civilized said:

caryking said:

• 90% + are vaccinated

If 50% of new cases are in the vaxxed, and 50% in the unvaxxed, but 90% are vaccinated it means vaccines are working extremely well.

Think of it this way, if you take a sample of 100 adults in Israel, 10 would be unvaxxed and 90 would be vaxxed. Of the 10 unvaxxed, 3 may pop positive. Of the 90 vaxxed, 3 would pop positive. 10 unvaxxed Israelis are generating the same number of positives as 90 vaxxed Israelis. That's great real-world effectiveness at preventing infection.

And that doesn't even speak to the effectiveness of vaccines at preventing serious or fatal COVID.

Also nobody is saying the vaccines have a 6 month "life." It's being speculated that vaccine protection against infection starts to wane after 6 months, however protection against serious or fatal COVID seems to continue to be robust.
Exactly. All of the vaccines currently approved for use in the US are still very effective in preventing severe infection, hospitalizations and deaths for all known variants, including the delta variant. The discussion regarding boosters is focused on those who are immunocompromised and those with other health conditions that put them at risk. As far as the general population is concerned, protection from the vaccines remains strong.

I believe many people made a cost/benefit analysis back in the late Spring when cases and hospitalizations were declining. They decided the risk of infection was not worth the inconvenience and possible side-effects of vaccination. Now, with hospitalizations rising in the Summer wave, some are adjusting their calculation and getting vaccinated.

I read tonight that vaccination rates are increasing in those areas being hard hit with cases and hospitalizations. These are areas that had low vaccination rates in the past. Tennessee has seen a 90% increase in first doses for the Covid vaccine over the past two weeks. Oklahoma has seen an 82% increase in first vaccinations and Georgia is showing a 66% increase.
Packchem91
Civilized said:

caryking said:

• 90% + are vaccinated

You keep spelling out that math, and some people keep ignoring it.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

Civilized said:

caryking said:

• 90% + are vaccinated

I must be bad at math, let me try this...

100 adults in Israel, 90 are vaxxed, 10 are unvaxxed. Of the 100 adults in Israel, 10 go into the hospital. Of the ten, 9 are vaxxed, 1 is not. So, if you multiply that out, the number doesn't change. The vaxxed are going in at a higher rate.

Please tell me where my math is wrong... and according to the real world Israeli doctor, he contends that the shelf life of the vaccine is 6 months.

I see what may have caused the issue. I said "same percent getting COVID". I should have said the same percent is going into the hospital with COVID.

Joe Biden
Daviewolf83
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

Civilized said:

caryking said:

• 90% + are vaccinated

100 adults in Israel, 90 are vaxxed, 10 are unvaxxed. Of the 100 adults in Israel, 10 go into the hospital. Of the ten, 9 are vaxxed, 1 is not. So, if you multiply that out, the number doesn't change. The vaxxed are going in at a higher rate.

Please tell me where my math is wrong... and according to the real world Israeli doctor, he contends that the shelf life of the vaccine is 6 months.

I see what may have caused the issue. I said "same percent getting COVID". I should have said the same percent is going into the hospital with COVID.
Can you provide a link to the article where you go the information? This would help me to understand what the doctor is saying. Also, "shelf life" is not the same thing as a measure of how long the vaccine will provide protection. What did the doctor mean when he said shelf life?

The reason I ask is the following:

1) In hospitals in NC, most patients admitted to the hospital are unvaccinated and this figure is greater than 90%.
2) Manufacturers, such as Moderna, have said recently that their vaccine has an efficacy over 90%, even after six months.
3) Infectious disease doctors (some quoted on this thread in the past) have said medically and biologically, the vaccines should have long-lasting protection against the virus that causes Covid-19.
4) While someone who is vaccinated can become infected with the virus, some recent studies (one out of Israel) shows vaccinated individuals are infected for a shorter period of time and shed less virus than people who are unvaccinated and become infected.

One of the big mistakes the CDC has made over the past several months is by stating that people who and become infected can infect people at the same rate as unvaccinated people. The first study they referenced was a discredited study out of India that is currently undergoing significant revision. The second was based on a town in Mass. In this study, it demonstrated that vaccines clearly worked to limit Covid severity, but the CDC tried to use it to demonstrate a need to mask. In this study, they also did not sample the viral load and if they did not do this, they could not comment on how easily a vaccinated person could transmit.
caryking
Daviewolf83 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

Civilized said:

caryking said:

• 90% + are vaccinated

Can you provide a link to the article where you go the information? This would help me to understand what the doctor is saying. Also, "shelf life" is not the same thing as a measure of how long the vaccine will provide protection. What did the doctor mean when he said shelf life?

The reason I ask is the following:

1) In hospitals in NC, most patients admitted to the hospital are unvaccinated and this figure is greater than 90%.
2) Manufacturers, such as Moderna, have said recently that their vaccine has an efficacy over 90%, even after six months.
3) Infectious disease doctors (some quoted on this thread in the past) have said medically and biologically, the vaccines should have long-lasting protection against the virus that causes Covid-19.
4) While someone who is vaccinated can become infected with the virus, some recent studies (one out of Israel) shows vaccinated individuals are infected for a shorter period of time and shed less virus than people who are unvaccinated and become infected.

One of the big mistakes the CDC has made over the past several months is by stating that people who and become infected can infect people at the same rate as unvaccinated people. The first study they referenced was a discredited study out of India that is currently undergoing significant revision. The second was based on a town in Mass. In this study, it demonstrated that vaccines clearly worked to limit Covid severity, but the CDC tried to use it to demonstrate a need to mask. In this study, they also did not sample the viral load and if they did not do this, they could not comment on how easily a vaccinated person could transmit.
Shelf life is my term... they said 6 month efficacy. I saw this on a show, showing the interview of the Israeli hospital doctors.

Funny how the CDC is making a mistake... well, at least in the statement you are using... it's also funny how every study, the vaccine supporters don't like, is discredited...

Joe Biden
caryking
Packchem91 said:

Civilized said:

caryking said:

• 90% + are vaccinated

Chem, you keep saying others are vitriolic and you keep putting puny words into post...

Joe Biden
packgrad
bgr3
We have to keep the fear porn going, the student loan deferral program is up at the end of September so the pandemic has to last long enough to extend that now that the CDC has assumed dictatorial power over the housing market.
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

Civilized said:

caryking said:

• 90% + are vaccinated

Chem, you keep saying others are vitriolic and you keep putting puny words into post...
Thats pretty sensitive -- since when does saying someone ignores something some kind of vitriolic attack, lol. I didn't even call anyone out by name. It was a general comment, as several here keep trying to fight the math, I guess in effort to disprove teh value of vaccinations.
I'm still not sure what you're trying to suggest with your numbers. Are you suggesting taht 9 out of 10 adults hospitalized in Israel are vaccinated?
From what I've read, it was 191 hospitalized, 113 of whom were vaccinated (60% round).

So using Civ's logic, out of 100 adults, 90 are vaccinated contribute 6 people to hospital while 10 unvaccinated contribute 4.

The raw #s sound alarming for vaccinated hospitalizations, I get that....but the % based on vaccination rate sound in favor of vaccines. Just like in America, where every report I've seen in the past week or two was that almost everyone in the hospitals / ICUs were unvaccinated.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

LOL -- that has to be taken in Gaston County?
Daviewolf83
Adults who chose NOT to be vaccinated in this state are in the minority. Over sixty percent of the people eligible for vaccination in NC have now received at least one dose of a vaccine. Additionally, the number of people being vaccinated in this state is increasing. The current 14-day average number of daily vaccinations in NC has increased by over 23% from the previous 14-day average. This increase is in despite of the efforts of many (including the CDC) to cast doubt on the effectiveness of the vaccines to work against all known variants of the virus.

IseWolf22
packgrad said:

Reminds me of this famous newspaper photo

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/kOKGcCy
Daviewolf83
Here's the latest update out of Virginia on cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. This update is for the last 30 days.

96.85% of cases were unvaccinated
96.06% of covid hospitalizations were unvaccinated
96.88% of covid deaths were unvaccinated

Keep believing vaccines do not work, but they do. The following tweet sums up my thoughts on the argument regarding vaccinations.

Packchem91
Daviewolf83 said:

Here's the latest update out of Virginia on cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. This update is for the last 30 days.

Keep believing vaccines do not work, but they do. The following tweet sums up my thoughts on the argument regarding vaccinations.

We keep hearing this debate on "follow the science". Maybe now it needs to be amended to say "follow the math".
bgr3
Daviewolf83 said:

So, you're "owning" the unvaccinated people with whom you come into contact, who have themselves also chosen to not be vaccinated? Idk if that's making the point you think it is.

(Yes, there are people who aren't getting it for health/safety reasons related to other conditions but that number is small enough that we can handle trying to protect people in that situation as a seperate issue.)
Daviewolf83
More facts to consider with regards to the effectiveness of our current Covid vaccines.

packgrad
So now people that choose to go unvaccinated are doing it to "own people"? I don't think that's the case.
First Page Last Page
Page 337 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.