Coronavirus

2,004,933 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Werewolf
Everpack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Packchem91 said:

Everpack said:

Mormad said:

Everpack said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

More denominator math for everyone this morning. From the Tweet below, you get the following percentages:

% of fully vaccinated people hospitalized for Covid infection = 0.0038%
% of fully vaccinated people who died from Covid infection = 0.0008%

So many of the docs i talked with this week simply don't understand vaccine hesitancy for the overwhelmingly vast majority of people based on these numbers. How can any reasonable human look at those numbers and argue vaxxes don't work or that they're given for some devious reason? Very powerful information. Is there risk? Absolutely. But much less risk than the continued transmission of the virus... To our economy, our health, our society, and the mental health of the IPS coronavirus thread participants lol

For me, I just don't see the personal benefit. Call me selfish, but I've never been asked to be responsible for other people's health before, so I struggle to feel the guilt I'm supposed to feel by being unvaccinated. The percentage of people at my age that aren't morbidly obese that experience anything other than cold/flu like symptoms are similar to the statistics in the quoted vaccination data. To add to that, I spent exactly zero days away from work in a manufacturing facility with around 1,000 people. Once I came to the realization that it was safe enough for me to go to work every day, I made the executive decision that it was safe enough for me live my life as normal as ever. So for the past 16+ months, I've done any and everything I would've done without the words COVID19 in my vocabulary. I've went to work, I've went out to eat, I've travelled (by car and plane), I've visited with family and friends, etc. My father, step-mother, BIL, step-father, coworkers and multiple friends have tested positive for COVID19 at some point in the last 16 months. I had an uncle spend almost six weeks in the hospital. I know people in their 40's who spent time in the hospital; one of which all but died. The one factor that tied them together was being morbidly obese. Not overweight, redneck, rural, white American, fast food fat.

All of that to say, now I'm supposed to take a vaccine that is still only approved through an emergency basis? What are the chances that I haven't been exposed to the virus in the last 16+ months? Probably about the same as my chances of experiencing a severe case of COVID19 in my demographic. Practically zero. Show me real data that 30-40 year olds who aren't morbidly obese are driving the hospitalizations and get the vaccine approved without emergency use, then I'll reconsider my position.

That's great, man. Maybe you don't need the vaccine. Maybe i wouldn't either if in your position. But most making a similar decision aren't using such logic, and often when they convince themselves that they are, they're using faulty logic.

And, it seems that we ALL have been asked to be responsible for others' health. You don't think other vaccines, public smoking, driving drunk aren't at least partially for the good of community health?

I'll admit that I struggle with that last paragraph, at least in my own mind. Other vaccines are tried and true and fully approved by all the letters of our govt. I should probably note that I've never taken a flu shot, nor have I ever had the flu. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, but I'm not a fan of telling private business what they can and can't allow in their establishments (thankful as I may be to not have to smell it in restaurants). Driving drunk is a poor choice for an analogy here, I think. That's an action an individual chooses to take.

Trust me, I hear the argument about small pox and polio vaccines. Correct me if I am wrong, but those vaccines prevented transmission of those viruses. I think that's the other hang up for me with this vaccine, and the current information transmission by our overlords doesn't help any, even though I see the benefits of vaccinating those at serious risk.

No offense to you, because clearly you are not unique in your opinionbut reading it reminds me again of how blessed we were to have had The Greatest Generation.

And I'm glad they didn't say they didn't care about Hawaii or Europe, because it really want their job to care about their well being

Just so we're clear and I'm not assuming you are saying something you aren't; not getting a vaccine for an airborne respiratory virus with a sub 1% IFR is equal to not wanting to fight the communist dictatorships of WW2 that were exterminating humans because of who they were?

I hope not, because that's ****ing absurd.
Jtbridges317
Mormad said:

Jtbridges317 said:

Mormad said:

Jtbridges317 said:

Mormad said:

Everpack said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

More denominator math for everyone this morning. From the Tweet below, you get the following percentages:

So many of the docs i talked with this week simply don't understand vaccine hesitancy for the overwhelmingly vast majority of people based on these numbers. How can any reasonable human look at those numbers and argue vaxxes don't work or that they're given for some devious reason? Very powerful information. Is there risk? Absolutely. But much less risk than the continued transmission of the virus... To our economy, our health, our society, and the mental health of the IPS coronavirus thread participants lol

For me, I just don't see the personal benefit. Call me selfish, but I've never been asked to be responsible for other people's health before, so I struggle to feel the guilt I'm supposed to feel by being unvaccinated. The percentage of people at my age that aren't morbidly obese that experience anything other than cold/flu like symptoms are similar to the statistics in the quoted vaccination data. To add to that, I spent exactly zero days away from work in a manufacturing facility with around 1,000 people. Once I came to the realization that it was safe enough for me to go to work every day, I made the executive decision that it was safe enough for me live my life as normal as ever. So for the past 16+ months, I've done any and everything I would've done without the words COVID19 in my vocabulary. I've went to work, I've went out to eat, I've travelled (by car and plane), I've visited with family and friends, etc. My father, step-mother, BIL, step-father, coworkers and multiple friends have tested positive for COVID19 at some point in the last 16 months. I had an uncle spend almost six weeks in the hospital. I know people in their 40's who spent time in the hospital; one of which all but died. The one factor that tied them together was being morbidly obese. Not overweight, redneck, rural, white American, fast food fat.

All of that to say, now I'm supposed to take a vaccine that is still only approved through an emergency basis? What are the chances that I haven't been exposed to the virus in the last 16+ months? Probably about the same as my chances of experiencing a severe case of COVID19 in my demographic. Practically zero. Show me real data that 30-40 year olds who aren't morbidly obese are driving the hospitalizations and get the vaccine approved without emergency use, then I'll reconsider my position.

That's great, man. Maybe you don't need the vaccine. Maybe i wouldn't either if in your position. But most making a similar decision aren't using such logic, and often when they convince themselves that they are, they're using faulty logic.

And, it seems that we ALL have been asked to be responsible for others' health. You don't think other vaccines, public smoking, driving drunk aren't at least partially for the good of community health?

Here's the thing pal. The United States as a country is obese, riddled with heart disease, and diabetes. You're expecting me to care about these people when they have yet to care for themselves? I'm so sick of the "if you don't get the vaccine, you don't care about anyone". Well ****, if I look at the data, the REAL data, Americans didn't give a damn about their diets and exercise until now. The vaccine is just a band aid to the real issue we face in society. Put down the damn fork and go outside

Now, THAT I agree with 100%. Your statement goes WELL beyond coronavirus.

I don't think the argument should be "do this for others." But we all want this to go away. What's the best, easiest, fastest way to normalcy and shutting up whatever side of this argument we are tired of hearing? To me it's vaccination based on what we know right now.

Your point, which to me is extremely valid, is that we live in a society with ever increasing poor habits and health. Again, this flies in the face of the at-risk population being a small slice of the pie.

But is the fastest, easiest way the best way? That's what gotten us in so much trouble as a country. Sure, why workout for 3-4 years to improve my overall health when I could just get Lipo?

Instant gratification kills

Does it kill in a pandemic though? Do we have the luxury of time? Isn't the vaccine the thing that has bought us a little time? If so, for how much longer? This isn't like working out to look good and be healthy. That's what i love too. But does a viral pandemic offer the luxury of time? If you had a mild MI and you were out of shape and a little pudgy, would you take 3-4 yrs to work yourself back to health or would you take ASA, lipitor, and a stent to buy you the time necessary to get back in shape? Sometimes medical treatment type of instant gratification reduces killing imho, otherwise I'm in the wrong career.

So, yes, for now and until things change, the available knowledge suggests the vaccines are the easiest, fastest, safest way out. Should they be mandated? Hell no. Should every human get one? Hell no. Maybe all here who argue against it are the youngest, healthiest, least at-risk mofos alive. That's fantastic. But that doesn't mean those decisions are good for all. (I know you know that, but i felt it should be said)

Thanks for your points, btw. I enjoy discussing them.

My whole point is this. If we as Americans would have focused on building better eating habits, exercise routines, and more daily vitamin, PLUS supplementing whatever we are short of, we would be in much better shape, both physically and in regards to Covid. I guess I've always known life to be a long game, not a near sighted sprint. Unfortunately most individuals live for today and tomorrow but not for 10-20 years down the road.

But I am grateful that you don't believe they should be mandated. I believe at the rate we are going we will be living in a two tiered society before too long. The vaxxed and the unvaxxed. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like what I see
Mormad
Hell, man, vaccines aren't our biggest obstacle to unity. Vaccines can't come close to other divisive issues facing us. Vaccines should be discussions. Those issues produce anger. Those discussions get people labeled and fired. There can be no discussion. Vaccines not so much? Maybe soon?

I wish people had taken better care of themselves too, but they didn't. And now you could argue that we're all paying a price if you believe it would have made a difference in this pandemic. It's like a tax on the healthy. I can't wish the country back to health and prosperity. This is where we are. So what now? If vaccines aren't it, then what? My answers would be hated here.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

Everpack said:

Mormad said:

Everpack said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

I'll admit that I struggle with that last paragraph, at least in my own mind. Other vaccines are tried and true and fully approved by all the letters of our govt. I should probably note that I've never taken a flu shot, nor have I ever had the flu. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, but I'm not a fan of telling private business what they can and can't allow in their establishments (thankful as I may be to not have to smell it in restaurants). Driving drunk is a poor choice for an analogy here, I think. That's an action an individual chooses to take.

Trust me, I hear the argument about small pox and polio vaccines. Correct me if I am wrong, but those vaccines prevented transmission of those viruses. I think that's the other hang up for me with this vaccine, and the current information transmission by our overlords doesn't help any, even though I see the benefits of vaccinating those at serious risk.

No offense to you, because clearly you are not unique in your opinionbut reading it reminds me again of how blessed we were to have had The Greatest Generation.

And I'm glad they didn't say they didn't care about Hawaii or Europe, because it really want their job to care about their well being

What a ridiculous comparison.

Well, true, more Americans have died in the 18 mos of Covid related issues than the 5 yrs of WW2.
I mean, I know it was a bit of an absurd compare

But my point was really how much more selfish we are today. We just had multiple posters say the health of others is not their concern.
But imagine if those farmers, accountants, students, etc, could have just chosen to take care if themselves. The heck with others.

We got folks on here whining about their "rights" to not wear a mask (which may help but certainly does not hurt) or get a shot (which demonstrably works to slow Covid)compared to guys KNOWING they were likely to die on someone else's soil, but signing up anyway. What, Me Wear a cloth mask?..waaaahhhh.
DrummerboyWolf
DrummerboyWolf said:

I don't post much on this thread. If you watch this video with Dr. David Martin, and I am not sure if it's been posted, but he has some concrete evidence that the "virus" is a bioweapon. He believes the whole pandemic was created by Fauci, Dasak, and Baric out of UNC-CH. Some eye opening stuff.

Ok updated link.

https://rumble.com/vk2bya-exclusive-dr.-david-martin-just-ended-covid-fauci-doj-politicians-in-one-in.html
I updated the link since it was banned by IPS.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
packgrad
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

Everpack said:

Mormad said:

Everpack said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Well, true, more Americans have died in the 18 mos of Covid related issues than the 5 yrs of WW2.

But my point was really how much more selfish we are today. We just had multiple posters say the health of others is not their concern.
But imagine if those farmers, accountants, students, etc, could have just chosen to take care if themselves. The heck with others.

We got folks on here whining about their "rights" to not wear a mask (which may help but certainly does not hurt) or get a shot (which demonstrably works to slow Covid)compared to guys KNOWING they were likely to die on someone else's soil, but signing up anyway. What, Me Wear a cloth mask?..waaaahhhh.

So stupid.

Shame. All you got. Typical.
packgrad
We are now shaming people to get the vaccine, and wear masks, because people went to war to fight the Germans that were eradicating Jews, and fighting Japan who attacked our base on Pearl Harbor, and also killed hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Chinese and people in the Pacific Islands.

Shame on all of you who don't get vaccinated or wear masks because people went to war in the 1940s to defend the country and keep Jews from being exterminated.

So. ****ing. Stupid.

But typical message board guy logic.
Jtbridges317
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

Everpack said:

Mormad said:

Everpack said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

I think it's great you're so empathetic, but I wish we were in simpler times where decisions were made without emotion. Putting yourself in another's shoes is great, but you have to be able to separate yourself from the emotion to see things clearly.
caryking
Jtbridges317 said:

Mormad said:

Jtbridges317 said:

Mormad said:

Jtbridges317 said:

Mormad said:

Everpack said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

Here's the thing pal. The United States as a country is obese, riddled with heart disease, and diabetes. You're expecting me to care about these people when they have yet to care for themselves? I'm so sick of the "if you don't get the vaccine, you don't care about anyone". Well ****, if I look at the data, the REAL data, Americans didn't give a damn about their diets and exercise until now. The vaccine is just a band aid to the real issue we face in society. Put down the damn fork and go outside

I don't think the argument should be "do this for others." But we all want this to go away. What's the best, easiest, fastest way to normalcy and shutting up whatever side of this argument we are tired of hearing? To me it's vaccination based on what we know right now.

Your point, which to me is extremely valid, is that we live in a society with ever increasing poor habits and health. Again, this flies in the face of the at-risk population being a small slice of the pie.

But is the fastest, easiest way the best way? That's what gotten us in so much trouble as a country. Sure, why workout for 3-4 years to improve my overall health when I could just get Lipo?

Does it kill in a pandemic though? Do we have the luxury of time? Isn't the vaccine the thing that has bought us a little time? If so, for how much longer? This isn't like working out to look good and be healthy. That's what i love too. But does a viral pandemic offer the luxury of time? If you had a mild MI and you were out of shape and a little pudgy, would you take 3-4 yrs to work yourself back to health or would you take ASA, lipitor, and a stent to buy you the time necessary to get back in shape? Sometimes medical treatment type of instant gratification reduces killing imho, otherwise I'm in the wrong career.

So, yes, for now and until things change, the available knowledge suggests the vaccines are the easiest, fastest, safest way out. Should they be mandated? Hell no. Should every human get one? Hell no. Maybe all here who argue against it are the youngest, healthiest, least at-risk mofos alive. That's fantastic. But that doesn't mean those decisions are good for all. (I know you know that, but i felt it should be said)

My whole point is this. If we as Americans would have focused on building better eating habits, exercise routines, and more daily vitamin, PLUS supplementing whatever we are short of, we would be in much better shape, both physically and in regards to Covid. I guess I've always known life to be a long game, not a near sighted sprint. Unfortunately most individuals live for today and tomorrow but not for 10-20 years down the road.

But I am grateful that you don't believe they should be mandated. I believe at the rate we are going we will be living in a two tiered society before too long. The vaxxed and the unvaxxed. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like what I see
JT, you are correct... the obesity in our country is a major problem (BTW, I'm way over weight) and are in the high risk group. Whether they should get the vaccine, well, that's not for me to say.

Non-media hysterical doctors completely advise "against" the vaccine for people not in an "at-risk" group. We are not hearing this argument for some reason. Money?

Do your research and get to know how corona viruses affect people and how society really should deal with them. You are being fed the "Big Lie" right now!! I'm convinced!!
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Jtbridges317
caryking said:

Jtbridges317 said:

Mormad said:

Jtbridges317 said:

Mormad said:

Jtbridges317 said:

Mormad said:

Everpack said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

JT, you are correct... the obesity in our country is a major problem (BTW, I'm way over weight) and are in the high risk group. Whether they should get the vaccine, well, that's not for me to say.

Non-media hysterical doctors completely advise "against" the vaccine for people not in an "at-risk" group. We are not hearing this argument for some reason. Money?

Do your research and get to know how corona viruses affect people and how society really should deal with them. You are being fed the "Big Lie" right now!! I'm convinced!!

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that Covid isn't as big of a deal as people are thinking or it is? I'm in the "not as big of a deal" camp.

Trust me, I've looked into it and done plenty of research. Big fan of the Barrington Declaration, which I'm sure millions of people have not heard of. 15,000 doctors have signed it saying we are going about this the wrong way.
Civilized
Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

Sounds like the super spreader event in MA was called Bear Week and it is a huge congregation of gay men that come together. It would be like using a spring break town to set national policy

Visited Provincetown when went to Cape Cod.I guarantee none of those folks attending that celebration were Trump voters lol
I had the best bowl of clam chowder I've ever had in P-town one cold fall afternoon around 20 years ago. Really enjoyed that trip.

Speaking of trips, glad you're back safe from Honduras and hope the trip was productive and enjoyable!
Daviewolf83
Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

I agree. As I have said before, I will continue to provide data that shows vaccines work to protect people against severe complications, hospitalizations, and death. The effectiveness of these vaccines (currently estimated to 85-90%) is greater than the vaccine administered for they yearly flu (typically in the 60-70% range).

I will not ridicule or harass people who do not get the vaccine, but every way I cut the data, it demonstrates vaccines work. I believe the media and the CDC are doing a horrible job of getting the positive message out that vaccines work. Scary headlines that leave out the denominator and only talk in absolute numbers without context only works against those who might be vaccine hesitant. The media is more concerned with driving eyeballs to their stories and the way you do this is to make things seem more urgent and dire than they are in actuality.
Daviewolf83
I encourage everyone read what is contained in the tweet thread below. I found the following quote to be quite compelling:
Quote:

"I've encouraged following public health directives, but sadly I can no longer say that. Our response to delta variant is unsupported by data, wildly disproportionate to the risk, and harmful."

caryking
Jtbridges317 said:

caryking said:

Jtbridges317 said:

Mormad said:

Jtbridges317 said:

Mormad said:

Jtbridges317 said:

Mormad said:

Everpack said:

Mormad said:

Daviewolf83 said:

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that Covid isn't as big of a deal as people are thinking or it is? I'm in the "not as big of a deal" camp.

Trust me, I've looked into it and done plenty of research. Big fan of the Barrington Declaration, which I'm sure millions of people have not heard of. 15,000 doctors have signed it saying we are going about this the wrong way.
Not saying it isn't a big deal; however, I am saying, based on the people I'm reading, we are going about this the wrong way...

Dr. Robert Malone is who I'm listening too...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
packgrad said:

guyWe are now shaming people to get the vaccine, and wear masks, because people went to war to fight the Germans that were eradicating Jews, and fighting Japan who attacked our base on Pearl Harbor, and also killed hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Chinese and people in the Pacific Islands.

Shame on all of you who don't get vaccinated or wear masks because people went to war in the 1940s to defend the country and keep Jews from being exterminated.

So. ****ing. Stupid.

Says the typical "get off my lawn" angry guy. I'm not shaming anyone. We're having a discussion on a private message board of what, 20 people, not making policy here, so my comments aren't going to be used to make anyone change, just as yours don't. If you are offended or shamed by my commenting that people today are much more selfish now...thats a you problem.

I found it interesting that You responded to my commetns about my trip and having to wear a mask by sympathy...WTH, imagine that, we are sympathetic to a bunch of people having to, imagine this, wear a cloth mask for 8-10 hours in a day, oh the horrors. I mean, it was slightly irritating to my ears after a while, it made it much more difficult to hear, but THAT is what you think deserves sympathy?

Lord, we also had no water pressure for the shower, the toilets didn't work one whole day, the ceiling in my room leaked water on my bed during a huge storm, and a stomach virus made thr rounds in group, including my son and I on the way home, which was interrupted by missing our connection and having to spend the night in the MIA airport.
ALLLLLLL of those things were much more impactful than having to slap a mask onto my face, lol. But, "my rights"....lol.
Packchem91
Civilized said:

Packchem91 said:

statefan91 said:

Sounds like the super spreader event in MA was called Bear Week and it is a huge congregation of gay men that come together. It would be like using a spring break town to set national policy

Visited Provincetown when went to Cape Cod.I guarantee none of those folks attending that celebration were Trump voters lol
I had the best bowl of clam chowder I've ever had in P-town one cold fall afternoon around 20 years ago. Really enjoyed that trip.

Speaking of trips, glad you're back safe from Honduras and hope the trip was productive and enjoyable!

Had food chowder there as well! Looking to take whole family to cape Cod and then Maine next summer, but I'll not revisit P-town.

Yes, the trip was. Amd I always come back thankful for the government we rip so regularly (often deservedly). But at end of day, we have the best government in the world, have balance so the SC can eventually stop things if they infringe upon our rights, amd have the controls to make changes if we don't like it every voting cycle, usually peacefully.
Not perfect, but we really are fortunate

mdreid
meanwhile in Chicago this weekend...

packgrad
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

guyWe are now shaming people to get the vaccine, and wear masks, because people went to war to fight the Germans that were eradicating Jews, and fighting Japan who attacked our base on Pearl Harbor, and also killed hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Chinese and people in the Pacific Islands.

So. ****ing. Stupid.

Says the typical "get off my lawn" angry guy. I'm not shaming anyone. We're having a discussion on a private message board of what, 20 people, not making policy here, so my comments aren't going to be used to make anyone change, just as yours don't. If you are offended or shamed by my commenting that people today are much more selfish now...thats a you problem.

I found it interesting that You responded to my commetns about my trip and having to wear a mask by sympathy...WTH, imagine that, we are sympathetic to a bunch of people having to, imagine this, wear a cloth mask for 8-10 hours in a day, oh the horrors. I mean, it was slightly irritating to my ears after a while, it made it much more difficult to hear, but THAT is what you think deserves sympathy?

Lord, we also had no water pressure for the shower, the toilets didn't work one whole day, the ceiling in my room leaked water on my bed during a huge storm, and a stomach virus made thr rounds in group, including my son and I on the way home, which was interrupted by missing our connection and having to spend the night in the MIA airport.
ALLLLLLL of those things were much more impactful than having to slap a mask onto my face, lol. But, "my rights"....lol.

I find it interesting how comfortably you lie about me supposedly talking about masks on your trip. That's a you problem.

Packchem91
packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

So. ****ing. Stupid.

I find it interesting how comfortably you lie about me supposedly talking about masks on your trip. That's a you problem.

If I could reply with a copied post, I"d do so here...but go look at your post from 7/24 at 9:25pm. Maybe it was your twin?
You can just admit you're wrong...it won't kill you.
Packchem91
I feel for school districts and have a feeling this is going to be very common

Union County is heavily GOP, amd was the first local county to make a decision on masks - no masks

Now the year-round school which is under the puck is school board jurisdiction, has had some cases and has already had to have a school specific change to require masks for a month.
But I like that they specifically focused it on the school with the problem. But I have a feeling many districts will again deal with this this year

packgrad
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

So. ****ing. Stupid.

If I could reply with a copied post, I"d do so here...but go look at your post from 7/24 at 9:25pm. Maybe it was your twin?
You can just admit you're wrong...it won't kill you.

Lol. A post from a week ago? Not anything we were discussing last night. A week ago. You're right I did make that post.

And lol at you making THAT post a negative. You do you.
TheStorm
^ Give 'ol Chem a break... he was basically out of pocket for a week and he needs to scratch that "will argue about anything" itch of his until he gets caught back up a little ...
Oldsouljer
Packchem91 said:

Union County is heavily GOP, amd was the first local county to make a decision on masks - no masks

Now the year-round school which is under the puck is school board jurisdiction, has had some cases and has already had to have a school specific change to require masks for a month.
But I like that they specifically focused it on the school with the problem. But I have a feeling many districts will again deal with this this year

Useless precaution against an overblown problem = Litigation CYA
Mormad
Packchem91 said:

It's a mess, and it's going to keep happening.

The infection itself is usually not bad in kids. There is some risk of long disease, but not much. It's all good when it's somebody else's kid. No worries. Kids aren't felt to be big spreaders like the flu, though there have been enough Page parties and lower school sleep overs with multiple resultant positives for me to question this data from a real world perspective. But the constant testing, missed school, quarantining is a pain in the royal arse for kids and families and the schools.

Would vaccination end the madness? What are the risks of such mass vaccination? Myocardial issues? Long term risk? Is normalcy worth the risk? Probably to the families who don't have kids with side effects from the vaccine or affected by a positive covid test near their kid. Just say F it and return to normal, quit testing kids, let them spread it and develop immunity? What's the risk to the kids? To their families? What's the advantage of such an approach? Indemnify the decision makers? There will be mad moms either way. Lots of questions. Few known answers without risk of consequence either way. Which consequences are we willing to accept? I don't have the answers for sure...
Packchem91
Mormad said:

Packchem91 said:

The infection itself is usually not bad in kids. There is some risk of long disease, but not much. It's all good when it's somebody else's kid. No worries. Kids aren't felt to be big spreaders like the flu, though there have been enough Page parties and lower school sleep overs with multiple resultant positives for me to question this data from a real world perspective. But the constant testing, missed school, quarantining is a pain in the royal arse for kids and families and the schools.

Would vaccination end the madness? What are the risks of such mass vaccination? Myocardial issues? Long term risk? Is normalcy worth the risk? Probably to the families who don't have kids with side effects from the vaccine or affected by a positive covid test near their kid. Just say F it and return to normal, quit testing kids, let them spread it and develop immunity? What's the risk to the kids? To their families? What's the advantage of such an approach? Indemnify the decision makers? There will be mad moms either way. Lots of questions. Few known answers without risk of consequence either way. Which consequences are we willing to accept? I don't have the answers for sure...
Exactly. I know these decisions are flash points of anger -- either a careless board or a weak one that gives in to political pressure, etc....but in reality, it's complex. And in today's world, likely has to factor in some degree of litigation-prevention.
But I like that a board creates the construct, and then enables the individual schools to make a "local" decision. OTOH, thats also easier now since it is the only school open in the county for the time being.
Wayland
Mormad said:

Packchem91 said:

Mormad
My wife is on the board of our kids' school. They spend more time on this then any other topic, at the expense of those topics. It seems so easy to make decisions until you actually have to make the decision that will affect so many and it's actually policy. And people are pissed either way and the phone calls and complaining are endless. They stayed in person for the life of the pandemic, shutting down 8th grade once. But damn.
statefan91
I could go either way wtih vaxxing my 5 soon to be 6 year old. He has already had COVID in December when we all got it.

The CDC recommendations still require classroom shutdown if there is a confirmed case and he is required to be in quarantine for 14 days. Honestly, it's terrible for parents and for the kids to be trying to work during that time, not see family and friends and not be at school / daycare. So if vaccination moves him into a category where he doesn't have to do that every time there's a case or exposure, then that's definitely something I will consider.
Packchem91
Mormad said:

My wife is on the board of our kids' school. They spend more time on this then any other topic, at the expense of those topics. It seems so easy to make decisions until you actually have to make the decision that will affect so many and it's actually policy. And people are pissed either way and the phone calls and complaining are endless. They stayed in person for the life of the pandemic, shutting down 8th grade once. But damn.
Yep, we look for reasons to be angry now....one group or the other. School boards....ughhh, talk about your thankless positions.
And to your point, and as this case shows, things change. You can make a decision based on input one day, and a month later, taht input might look different. I'd have to think most things in the education world don't change as quickly as does the guidance on Corona. So...makes decisions that much tougher, because you know it may end up looking silly in 6 mos.
Wayland
statefan91 said:

I could go either way wtih vaxxing my 5 soon to be 6 year old. He has already had COVID in December when we all got it.

The CDC recommendations still require classroom shutdown if there is a confirmed case and he is required to be in quarantine for 14 days. Honestly, it's terrible for parents and for the kids to be trying to work during that time, not see family and friends and not be at school / daycare. So if vaccination moves him into a category where he doesn't have to do that every time there's a case or exposure, then that's definitely something I will consider.
That is a driving force I think for a lot of child COVID vaccinations. I am not sure forced inconvenience is a good justification and here I am in the exact same boat. Especially since some of the issues seem to be tending towards younger males (as rare as they may be).

At this point, my son has had his first dose, and the main motivation behind a second dose is so we aren't inconvenienced.... and that feels a little disgusting to me. That being said, if he is being held to the same theater rules vaxxed or not.... I don't see a risk benefit to him getting a second dose... sorry... just isn't there.
PackPA2015
Wayland said:

statefan91 said:

That is a driving force I think for a lot of child COVID vaccinations. I am not sure forced inconvenience is a good justification and here I am in the exact same boat. Especially since some of the issues seem to be tending towards younger males (as rare as they may be).

At this point, my son has had his first dose, and the main motivation behind a second dose is so we aren't inconvenienced.... and that feels a little disgusting to me. That being said, if he is being held to the same theater rules vaxxed or not.... I don't see a risk benefit to him getting a second dose... sorry... just isn't there.
I have been recommending to my 12-18 year olds who want to be or parents want them to be to receive that first dose. You get protection without any significant risks. Then, I would delay the second dose for at least 12 weeks.

Based on the adverse effect data, this limits the risk significantly. Does your school district make them quarantine for positive contacts unless fully vaccinated?
Wayland
PackPA2015 said:

Wayland said:

statefan91 said:

I have been recommending to my 12-18 year olds who want to be or parents want them to be to receive that first dose. You get protection without any significant risks. Then, I would delay the second dose for at least 12 weeks.

Based on the adverse effect data, this limits the risk significantly. Does your school district make them quarantine for positive contacts unless fully vaccinated?
I don't think this year's policy has been fully released yet. Last year, the school had zero in school exposures so while there was no exception policy, the quarantine policy never was used.
statefan91
PackPA2015 said:

My son has only been in daycare to this point (5 yrs old). They have been wearing masks all year but if there is a confirmed case then the classroom has to shut down for two weeks. He will start kindergarten in a few weeks in Charlotte (mask policy) so not sure what the effect will be if there is a case in the classroom.
Mormad
Wayland said:

statefan91 said:

I don't think it's disgusting at all. The disgusting effects of this pandemic go so far beyond the hospitalization and death data. The inconveniences like quarantines, lost work, 7days of feeling like sht, closures, remote schooling, etc are, to me, reasonable reasons to have my family vaccinated. And if she has to mask indoors, but can stay in person and not quarantine every time a kid coughs it's worth it. Sometimes we forget with these tweets that the overall cost to these kids goes well beyond the risk of severe disease vs the risk of side effects of the vaccination. Risk of severe disease wins that battle every time (lower risk). But if we include risk covid will screw up your life for a time (likely more than once with quarantines considered) and inconvenience us in all the ways we complain about here vs the risk of SEs from vaccination, the fight becomes a little more fair. So i don't think it's disgusting at all. If my kids had had SEs, I'm sure I'd sing a different tune.
Oldsouljer
Mormad said:

Wayland said:

statefan91 said:

I don't think it's disgusting at all. The disgusting effects of this pandemic go so far beyond the hospitalization and death data. The inconveniences like quarantines, lost work, 7days of feeling like sht, closures, remote schooling, etc are, to me, reasonable reasons to have my family vaccinated. And if she has to mask indoors, but can stay in person and not quarantine every time a kid coughs it's worth it. Sometimes we forget with these tweets that the overall cost to these kids goes well beyond the risk of severe disease vs the risk of side effects of the vaccination. Risk of severe disease wins that battle every time (lower risk). But if we include risk covid will screw up your life for a time (likely more than once with quarantines considered) and inconvenience us in all the ways we complain about here vs the risk of SEs from vaccination, the fight becomes a little more fair. So i don't think it's disgusting at all. If my kids had had SEs, I'm sure I'd sing a different tune.
I think that the difference of opinions in this matter correlate with those whom live for day-to-day convenience and aren't conscience of, or care about, long term threats to personal liberties versus those people who see the bigger picture and are fighting today's imposed measures against tomorrow's permanent loss of those liberties.
First Page Last Page
Page 329 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.