Coronavirus

2,001,365 Views | 19843 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Werewolf
Packchem91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Remember when Asia was the role model for Coronavirus and masking? Hundreds of articles. Now Japan is canceling spectators at the Olympics when 80+% of the population wear masks, and their citizenry suffers from chronic non obesity. Science.

Oh, and US Democrats still want children to wear masks in school next year. Science.
Well if the Japanese pushed continuing to wear masks rather than get vaccinated....they earned this dishonor of an Olympics w/o fans. But I don't think that is what happened. Wayland posted some #s where the culture in Japan is very anti-vacc due to some previous issues.

And I'm not sure anyone thinks masking is the best way to prevent spread of covid. Haven't read what the US Dems want for kids in schools but I would expect they'd prefer them to vaccinated first and foremost.

Vaccinated children is as illogical as masked children.
For young kids where it's not approved, sure. But CDC says kids 12+ should get vaccinated. But I'm sure they're just being political.

I'm sure you just want to argue. Science.
I love science. CDC is a bit more scientific background than you or I.

How is this even an argument?
caryking
In today's climate, the CDC, NIH, WHO, and all the others appear to practice scientism that any thing else...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
GuerrillaPack
This is probably the funniest thing I've seen all year...Juvenile with "Vax that thang up" promoting getting vaccinated. The funniest thing is this random lyric/theme in the song saying that if women want to "smash some guy named Scott", they need to get vaccinated...especially at the very end of the video. Freaking HILARIOUS.

dogplasma
I'm no internet expert, but If kids under 12 can spread the virus asymptotically and vaccination prevents or seriously slows transmission, which is what I thought to be the case, then I'd want kids vaccinated. With an approved vaccine.

Interesting that Japan has a large anti-vax population. I honestly would never have thought that.
GuerrillaPack
dogplasma said:

I'm no internet expert, but If kids under 12 can spread the virus asymptotically and vaccination prevents or seriously slows transmission, which is what I thought to be the case, then I'd want kids vaccinated. With an approved vaccine.

Interesting that Japan has a large anti-vax population. I honestly would never have thought that.

People under 40 are at very minimal risk from the Wu flu, and children under 18 are at virtually ZERO risk. There is no need for anyone under 30 to be vaccinated, even per the "official" narrative on this charade.

The vaccines are only purported to really aid in "boosting your immune system" and "preventing serious illness"....allegedly. They don't prevent you from contracting a virus and transmitting it to others. So even if you jab 100% of children with the poison, they can still get a virus and give it to poor grandma.

Only people over 65 are at any serious risk ...and 80%+ of those over 65 have taken the injections. So there is no reason to worry about them. They are protected, right? If these injections are the miracle cure, then all people over 60 should get them. People under 40 and especially 30 don't need them at all.
Packchem91
pineknollshoresking said:

In today's climate, the CDC, NIH, WHO, and all the others appear to practice scientism that any thing else...
Yet the CDC recommends that kids should be in person school, which i think pretty much everyone here agrees with...so is that political, science, or scientism?

The WHO.....clearly with its funding being different than the CDC because they have many "masters" to keep happy, they appear to be very much influenced by politics.
GuerrillaPack
OMG!!...the Delta Plus variant is here! I'm literally shaking in fear rn. Somebody better lock this thing down now and reinstate mask mandates! Save us Joe Bide please!!!!

RunsWithWolves26
Hate seeing the 7 day average starting to turn upward in cases and deaths again. Was really hoping it would continue to fall or at the very least, level off. Certainly didn't want to see it start an upswing again.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

pineknollshoresking said:

Yet the CDC recommends that kids should be in person school, which i think pretty much everyone here agrees with...so is that political, science, or scientism?

The WHO.....clearly with its funding being different than the CDC because they have many "masters" to keep happy, they appear to be very much influenced by politics.
I get it, but, did they have caveats? Masked vs unmasked? Vaccinated vs unvaccinated?

Joe Biden
TheStorm
I have a client that is an ER Doctor with NHRMC (Wilmington) that I talked to just this past Friday about our business dealings (which are completely unrelated to his profession)... at the end of the conversation I asked him about COVID and his immediate response was "what about it"?... "I mean, what are you seeing in the ER"?, I ask... "COVID is over - it's basically non-existent" were his exact words. Said, that they had 2 Hispanic men come in with it on July 3 - and that other than that, he hasn't seen any in several weeks...

I trust the people that are on the front lines with access to "real" information much moreso than any faux NCDHHS propaganda... I mean Mormad has posted numbers from the Cone system at least three times now over the last couple of months that showed that what is being reported by NCDHHS for their area is pure bunk.
TheStorm
Yep. I was just rolling over the counties in my area (Pender, New Hanover, Onslow) on the NCDHHS map and those "last 14 days" numbers are pure BS.

I don't know why they are lying about the numbers, but it must be important to do so for some reason - because they are.
statefan91
Daviewolf83
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Hate seeing the 7 day average starting to turn upward in cases and deaths again. Was really hoping it would continue to fall or at the very least, level off. Certainly didn't want to see it start an upswing again.
For NC, I do not really see any upward trends that would be of concern. Trends in deaths by date of death are basically flat and cases by specimen date (the only way cases should ever be reported) might be up slightly. I have included both graphs below.

I have been expecting a summer-time bump in the cases in the mid-July timeframe and continuing into September. I really believe vaccination levels will keep the hospitalizations and deaths lower than last summer's increase, especially given the high percentage of vaccination among the 65+ age group. So far, hospitalizations continue to be flat, with variations only coming from the daily changes in the percentage of hospitals reporting.

Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

For NC, I do not really see any upward trends that would be of concern. Trends in deaths by date of death are basically flat and cases by specimen date (the only way cases should ever be reported) might be up slightly. I have included both graphs below.

I have been expecting a summer-time bump in the cases in the mid-July timeframe and continuing into September. I really believe vaccination levels will keep the hospitalizations and deaths lower than last summer's increase, especially given the high percentage of vaccination among the 65+ age group. So far, hospitalizations continue to be flat, with variations only coming from the daily changes in the percentage of hospitals reporting.

Definitely an small uptick, but we were expecting a summer seasonal surge, and it has been so far underwhelming. I get the disappointment in that cases aren't perpetually going down, but the virus is endemic at this point. It is going to roll up and down following a similar seasonal pattern and hopefully be, at worst, eventually just be another seasonal coronavirus. It probably already is for those who are vaccinated or had prior infections.

Packchem91
But looking at those graphs, even if there is a slight uptick, is the lowest that graph has been since Mar '20. Think it's realistically difficult to expect it to ever get much lower
Wayland
Packchem91 said:

But looking at those graphs, even if there is a slight uptick, is the lowest that graph has been since Mar '20. Think it's realistically difficult to expect it to ever get much lower

I mean, I am genuinely curious. I expected cases to rise into mid to late July and then decrease again. I feel like our August/Sept bump last year was largely driven by college testing.

And right, case numbers (even with a small increase) are still basically at the lowest point since this all started, so we need to look at things in proper context. Is this baseline? Maybe.

I'd expect when whatever mini-wave we are on is over, we won't see much in NC until November, but as long as we are mass testing, we are going to keep finding SOME cases.
Packchem91
Wayland said:

Packchem91 said:

I mean, I am genuinely curious. I expected cases to rise into mid to late July and then decrease again. I feel like our August/Sept bump last year was largely driven by college testing.

And right, case numbers (even with a small increase) are still basically at the lowest point since this all started, so we need to look at things in proper context. Is this baseline? Maybe.

I'd expect when whatever mini-wave we are on is over, we won't see much in NC until November, but as long as we are mass testing, we are going to keep finding SOME cases.

Coupled with the low hospitalization rates, definitely very good. I would think there is another spike when college / school starts back? Hopefully it stays below last years trend lines, to your point, the basic baseline
dogplasma
GuerrillaPack said:

dogplasma said:

People under 40 are at very minimal risk from the Wu flu, and children under 18 are at virtually ZERO risk. There is no need for anyone under 30 to be vaccinated, even per the "official" narrative on this charade.

The vaccines are only purported to really aid in "boosting your immune system" and "preventing serious illness"....allegedly. They don't prevent you from contracting a virus and transmitting it to others. So even if you jab 100% of children with the poison, they can still get a virus and give it to poor grandma.

Only people over 65 are at any serious risk ...and 80%+ of those over 65 have taken the injections. So there is no reason to worry about them. They are protected, right? If these injections are the miracle cure, then all people over 60 should get them. People under 40 and especially 30 don't need them at all.
The bolded part is the part I'm not sure about and apparently no one is really sure about. I've read that there is evidence that immunized people are much less likely to transmit the virus, but this is based on small CDC studies and expert inference because it's hard to study large groups where many people may be asymptomatic.
Daviewolf83
dogplasma said:

GuerrillaPack said:

dogplasma said:

The bolded part is the part I'm not sure about and apparently no one is really sure about. I've read that there is evidence that immunized people are much less likely to transmit the virus, but this is based on small CDC studies and expert inference because it's hard to study large groups where many people may be asymptomatic.
There is a table Dr. Gandhi has maintained (see below), pointing to studies that make this case. Just because a PCR test picks up evidence of the coronavirus in your nasal cavities, it does not mean you are infectious.

packwest
I think the numbers support what your doc friend is relaying. WakeMed was (last week?) without COVID patients. I believe UNC-Johnston had 2 people in ICU with it last week. However, anecdotally, one of my brother's friends (late-20s) is now in the hospital as a result of it though. No idea whether he was vaccinated.

I believe we've turned the corner on it and hopefully this thread can be moved to archives in a few more months.
statefan91
Wayland said:

Definitely an small uptick, but we were expecting a summer seasonal surge, and it has been so far underwhelming. I get the disappointment in that cases aren't perpetually going down, but the virus is endemic at this point. It is going to roll up and down following a similar seasonal pattern and hopefully be, at worst, eventually just be another seasonal coronavirus. It probably already is for those who are vaccinated or had prior infections.

The biggest question will be how this goes from something that shuts down a classroom / daycare for two weeks at a time, to something we deal with like any normal cold / flu.
caryking
The insanity of certain people... When did this country STOP being a free country?

https://citizenfreepress.com/breaking/mandatory-twice-weekly-testing-for-the-un-vaccinated/

Joe Biden
MayorStoner
statefan91 said:

Wayland said:

The biggest question will be how this goes from something that shuts down a classroom / daycare for two weeks at a time, to something we deal with like any normal cold / flu.
People either getting vaccinated or getting sick is what will lead us there. If people would get vaccinated then this corner turn would come quicker....however, the vaccinations have now been politicized and people's egos wont allow them to get vaccinated.
caryking
MayorStoner said:

statefan91 said:

Wayland said:

People either getting vaccinated or getting sick is what will lead us there. If people would get vaccinated then this corner turn would come quicker....however, the vaccinations have now been politicized and people's egos wont allow them to get vaccinated.
Vaccines being politicized? The politicizing of the vaccine is on the push for more. Can people just have a hesitancy? Is that ok?

Joe Biden
Packchem91
Saw this yesterday. Setting aside the impact on The Open itself, the response to his twitter post is sad.

Look, I enjoy a good argument as much as anyone, but limit that to this private forum where we have a limited audience and we are here for discussion. But the vehemence some folks used to go after Bubba, and his own personal health decision here is just disgusting. Never have understood why people attack in public forums. God, Twitter is a cesspool

Wayland
statefan91 said:

Wayland said:

Media needs to stop seeking feeding on Coronaphobes as a source to boost ratings.

Politicians need to stop using the fear to push agendas.

We go on living our lives and turn of the TVs and tune out the self-serving politicians.

It is only a shame how much they will punish kids in schools to keep things going.
Packchem91
Wayland said:

statefan91 said:

Wayland said:

Media needs to stop seeking feeding on Coronaphobes as a source to boost ratings.

We go on living our lives and turn of the TVs and tune out the self-serving politicians.

It is only a shame how much they will punish kids in schools to keep things going.
You mean like today's iteration of the ongoing headline from CNN, where every day, the biggest headline says a bunch of people "may" die? They've had a different version of this pretty much running ever since your charts showed the darn thing is lower than its ever been.

US coronavirus: 'Surprising amount of death' will soon occur in these US regions from increased Covid-19 cases, expert says - CNN
GuerrillaPack
MayorStoner said:

The "politicization" is not the problem. 99% of Republican politicians are pushing the vaccines as well, including Trump who created the "operation warp speed" to produce the vaccines. The real reason why ~30-40% of the population refuses to take the vaccines is because they do not trust that these vaccines are "safe" and/or believe that vaccines are harmful, including many people who believe that there is a nefarious reason why vaccines are pushed on the population (to deliberately cause harm to those taking the vaccines). And that includes many people who are democrats who refuse to take the vaccines. Black Americans have the lowest vaccination rate of any racial demographic group -- many of which do not trust vaccines due to things like the Tuskegee experiment.
TheStorm
MayorStoner said:

statefan91 said:

Wayland said:

I'm vaccinated... and I'm a Republican and proudly voted for Trump.

I don't think things are as cut and dried as you may wish to see them.
statefan91
Wayland said:

statefan91 said:

Fair, but none of that really has to do with my interest in when the CDC will update guidance to say that schools don't need to close for two weeks when there's a case of COVID. That's what I'm focused on.
packwest
TheStorm said:

MayorStoner said:

statefan91 said:

Wayland said:

I'm vaccinated... and I'm a Republican and proudly voted for Trump.

I don't think things are as cut and dried as you may wish to see them.
Spot on. Putting people into boxes to try a create a nice simple narrative is intellectually lazy. See the Eric Adams victory in NYC as another example of this.

Young people between 18-29 are lagging way behind in vaccination rate:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/06/21/young-adults-covid-vaccine/

And that age-group didn't vote for Trump:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/2020-exit-polls-show-a-scrambling-of-democrats-and-republicans-traditional-bases/

The minority vaccination rate is also lagging:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/black-and-latino-communities-often-have-low-vaccination-rates-but-blaming-vaccine-hesitancy-misses-the-mark

And minorities didn't vote for Trump.

People are choosing not to get vaccinated for very different reasons. For some its politics, sure, but not all.
Wayland
statefan91 said:

Wayland said:

statefan91 said:

Fair, but none of that really has to do with my interest in when the CDC will update guidance to say that schools don't need to close for two weeks when there's a case of COVID. That's what I'm focused on.
As soon as media and politicians shift away and get distracted by something else shiny, the CDC will.

They are no longer an objective arbiter of science. (if they ever were).

And unfortunately Walensky has Weingarten on speed dial, so we are screwed for a while with schools.

Was a great tweet this morning of all the things the CDC says you shouldn't do (not COVID related)
wolfman18
Civilized
GuerrillaPack said:

MayorStoner said:

The "politicization" is not the problem. 99% of Republican politicians are pushing the vaccines as well, including Trump who created the "operation warp speed" to produce the vaccines. The real reason why ~30-40% of the population refuses to take the vaccines is because the do not trust that these vaccines are "safe" and/or believe that vaccines are harmful, including many people who believe that there is a nefarious reason why vaccines are pushed on the population (to deliberately cause harm to those taking the vaccines). And that includes many people who are democrats who refuse to take the vaccines. Black Americans have the lowest vaccination rate of any racial demographic group -- many of which do not trust vaccines due to things like the Tuskegee experiment.

There's no one, singular problem.

But don't kid yourself, vaccine politicization is a huge problem.

As of last month, 50% of Republicans had had at least one shot, compared with 80%+ for Dems.

27% of Pubs are outright refusing vaccines, compared with 3% of Dems doing the same.

There is tremendous GOP resistance to vaccines. Vaccine adoption breaks more strongly among political lines than any other demographic data category, except for age.

We can all argue about how we got here, but let's not sugarcoat where we are.

packgrad
67% of the country has gotten at least one vaccination and Democrats saying vaccine politicization is a problem. Lol. They are the ones making it a problem. Just like they did and are still doing with masks (wearing them after being vaccinated, kids needing to wear in schools). Its all propaganda to smear republicans. They politicize everything then say when people are apprehensive about getting a vaccine, it's political.
First Page Last Page
Page 307 of 567

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.