Coronavirus

2,004,799 Views | 19855 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Werewolf
johntom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had my 2nd dose this morning at PNC. It was much less crowded today than it was for my first dose.

Most of my friends are in their late 20s/early 30s. Only about half of them have gotten vaccinated and I'm not sure the rest of them are planning on it. I'd like to see the numbers in my age bracket go up more, but I think we've reached the plateau point now.

I agree that things should open back up now. If people have chosen to not get the vaccine, that is their own choice at this point. They're accepting the risk just as those getting the vaccine accepted the risk of a rushed vaccine. Everyone should be able to enjoy this summer without any restrictions.
FlossyDFlynt
I woke up feeling like I had been hit by a truck. Went downstairs, checked my temp, and it was sitting at 101.4. I havent had a fever like this since I had the flu a few years ago. Lots of liquids and some tylenol and I am feeling a bit better, but Im struggling to regulate my body temp.

Still happy to be done with it though
packgrad
Hope you're starting to feel better now.

Saw something on Twitter that said Pfizer made almost $9/person (or maybe shot). Vaccines are big business.
Glasswolf
FlossyDFlynt said:

I woke up feeling like I had been hit by a truck. Went downstairs, checked my temp, and it was sitting at 101.4. I havent had a fever like this since I had the flu a few years ago. Lots of liquids and some tylenol and I am feeling a bit better, but Im struggling to regulate my body temp.

Still happy to be done with it though
My wife felt like crap a few days after we got our 2nd dose. Other than a sore arm I had no issues. Hope you start to feel better
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

RDUwolfpack
I got JJ on Friday. It wrecked me. Feeling better as time passes though.
RunsWithWolves26
Capitalism. The American way!

ETA: If true, I'm glad I was able to donate $18 to them.
packgrad
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Capitalism. The American way!

ETA: If true, I'm glad I was able to donate $18 to them.

I'm not glad. I don't feel I needed it. In today's environment though, it was money well spent. The cult of the virus prescribed it for me.

With that said, I have zero problem with the money made. They have to research it, test it, get it to market. "Save the world". Get paid when you do your duty.
RunsWithWolves26
Why did you get it?
packgrad
So I can eat and travel wherever I want.
RunsWithWolves26
So why do you call is it "the cult that prescribed it to me?" You had a choice to get it or not and decided to so nobody actually prescribed anything to you right?
Mormad
I'm glad i got it
packgrad
Is that the way you think prescriptions work?
RunsWithWolves26
Did a doctor prescribed you the vaccine? If a doctor prescribed something, you don't have to take it. I refuse to take pain meds yet I've been prescribed them many times. That's typically how prescriptions work.
I answered your question. Mind answering mine?
packgrad
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Did a doctor prescribed you the vaccine? If a doctor prescribed something, you don't have to take it. I refuse to take pain meds yet I've been prescribed them many times. That's typically how prescriptions work.

RunsWithWolves26 said:

You had a choice to get it or not and decided to so nobody actually prescribed anything to you right?

Well, which is it? I had a choice so I wasn't actually prescribed anything by anybody, or I could have refused to get it and that's the way prescriptions work. I've pretty clearly explained why I got it. What do you not understand?
RunsWithWolves26
You called it "a cult that prescribed it to you." So again, for the second and hopefully last time, why do you call it that? Also, why did you decide to get it? Nobody made you get it which begs the question again, why do you call it "a cult that prescribed it to me."
packgrad
RunsWithWolves26 said:

You called it "a cult that prescribed it to you." So again, for the second and hopefully last time, why do you call it that? Also, why did you decide to get it? Nobody made you get it which begs the question again, why do you call it "a cult that prescribed it to me."

I'd just encourage you to read the thread to read why I got it. Then you won't have to ask questions for the second and hopefully last time that you've already been given the answer to.

If you can't figure out why people feel forced to get the vaccine, I don't know what to tell you.
RunsWithWolves26
You can write all that out and still not answer the question. You get answers to yours but can't answer a question that should take you a sentence to answer. Yet, you can write multiple sentences about going back to read 300 pages just to find the answer to a question you can answer in 5 seconds. Thanks for trying. Glad you got the vaccine that "the cult prescribed to you."
packgrad
Lol. I literally answered the question on the same freaking page in the same 24 hours. "Moderator".
RunsWithWolves26
What does "moderator" have to do with anything? I understand you like to throw meaningless things out whenever you can but that just makes no sense. Are you trying to say a moderator shouldn't ask questions, shouldn't question you, should just toe whatever line of thinking you throw out there?
packgrad
RunsWithWolves26 said:

What does "moderator" have to do with anything? I understand you like to throw meaningless things out whenever you can but that just makes no sense. Are you trying to say a moderator shouldn't ask questions, shouldn't question you, should just toe whatever line of thinking you throw out there?

Yes, exactly.
RunsWithWolves26
Daviewolf83
I wish more people in NC would chose to get one of the three safe and effective vaccines. Unfortunately, it is not happening fast enough. Despite all of my past criticism of Gov. Cooper,I do believe he set very reasonable and clear targets for reopening. His targets are sound and based on the results of data we are seeing from other parts of the world.

For example, in Israel and the UK, there is clear data that an inflection point can be reached when 50% of the population or 67 to 70% of adults have received at least one dose of the vaccines. In these countries, where they have achieved these vaccination levels, they have seen case numbers, hospitalizations, and deaths drop drastically. In the case of the UK, these numbers are now at the level of yearly flu. I have consistently said when we reach levels of the flu, in cases and hospitalizations, we should open up.

Why is this happening? It is not due to seasonality. It is not due to the virus just giving up. It is due to "herd immunity." We know there are two ways to develop herd immunity - through past infection and through vaccination. Given the levels of past infection in the population, vaccinating 2/3 of the adult population with at least one dose, combined with the population with past infection, moves us to the levels of protection needed to achieve herd immunity.

In some states and locals, they are very close to achieving these vaccination levels. In California for example, they are expected to reach head immunity by mid-June. In San Francisco, they have now given at least one dose to 72% of their population and as a result, they have seen cases and hospitalizations reach the same levels as the flu.

In NC, our hospitalizations remain too high. We have been stuck at a little more than 1,000 total people hospitalized a day and are still admitting more than 100 people each day to the hospital from complications of Covid. While daily cases are down some, they still are averaging over 1,500 per day. Due to lags in the data, it is harder to report the average number of deaths each day, but they remain significantly higher than in those states and countries I mentioned previously. By my rough estimation, we are seeing between 7 to 10 deaths daily from people infected with Covid. The vaccines have definitely caused a drop in the number of people hospitalized who are aged 65+ and their hospitalization rates are more inline with the other age groups.

If more people continue to get vaccinated, we will eventually get the key statistics to the levels of flu and likely, even lower. To do this, we need more people to get vaccinated. The chart below shows how we are doing in NC with regards to the goal of having at least 2/3 of the adult population receive one dose. Currently, NC needs approximately 1.3M additional people to get at least one dose of the vaccines to reach this target. At the current rates, it will be August before we achieve these levels and the governor lifts the mandates on masking and full occupancy at restaurants and indoor/outdoor sporting events.

Daviewolf83
NCDHHS is now showing the vaccinations by age group for those administered through the Federal system separate from the general population's vaccinations. Combining this information now gives a much clearer picture of how we are doing vaccinating people by age group. In particular, you can see there has been good progress vaccinating the 65+ age group (close to 80% first vaccination) and the 50-65 age group is making good progress toward the 70% target. Where there needs to be a focus is the 24-49 year old age group. These are the age groups where significant gains toward herd immunity can be made.

Daviewolf83
Dr. Scott Gottlieb was on Face the Nation today and had this to say about where we are as a nation and the lifting of mandates. I have also linked the entire transcript below.

JOHN DICKERSON: So I- every time we talk, we talk about where things are and then you kind of tell us where we're going to be. A few weeks ago, you were saying, you know, they should change the mask restrictions for outdoors if you're vaccinated. Your feeling now about maybe changing those mandates for indoor masks? You- you think they should be lifted, do you?

DR. GOTTLIEB: Well, look, COVID won't disappear. We're going to have to learn to live with it, but the risk is substantially reduced as a result of vaccination, as a result of immunity that people have acquired through prior infection. And so I think we're at the point in time when we can start lifting these ordinances in a wholesale fashion and people have to take precautions based on their individual risk. They have to judge their own individual risk and decide whether or not they're going to avoid crowds or wear masks based on their circumstances. But we've always said from a public health standpoint that we would set as a metric maybe when we get down to 10 cases per 100,000 people on a daily basis. Well, half the country's there right now. If you want to be more conservative and say five cases per 100,000 people, well, this week, by this week, probably about a quarter of states will be there. So we're at the point right now where we could start lifting these ordinances and allowing people to resume normal activity. Certainly outdoors, we shouldn't be putting limits on gatherings anymore. We should be encouraging people to go outside. In the states where prevalence is low, vaccination rates are high, and we have good testing in place and we're identifying infections. I think we could start lifting these restrictions indoors as well on a broad basis.

Link to full transcript
Mormad
Yep. Agree.
FlossyDFlynt
Fever broke overnight. I am still quite tired even though I slept a ton in the past 24 hours, but definitely feel like I should be fine by tomorrow. Glad to be done with it
GuerrillaPack
This man makes a good point...the more masks you wear, the more you are protected.

I think I've seen the light. I need to trust Dr Bill Gates and his plan.

https://instagr.am/p/COqP8_Ql4U9
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
PackFansXL
I had a similar experience after my second Moderna shot on Friday. Fever in the range of 100 to 102 for most of Friday night and Saturday. After 4 doses of fever reduction, I felt good by bedtime Saturday night. Slept well and feel fully recovered today. Glad to be done with this. Now, if only my parents and siblings would decide to trust this vaccine and get at least one of the shots, I would feel much better.
GuerrillaPack
PackFansXL said:

Now, if only my parents and siblings would decide to trust this vaccine and get at least one of the shots, I would feel much better.

Why should we just "trust" them? Why should I just trust in companies like Pfizer, and especially when they've been given 100% protection from liability due to harm caused by their vaccines? Why should I trust king Fauci when he helped fund the Wuhan lab, and has done nothing but obfuscate and lie about all of this? Why should I trust anyone with the government, when they do nothing but make our lives hell with burdensome taxation/theft of our labor and personal property, shutting down our businesses and preventing people from being able to work and earn a living, etc?
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wayland
Daviewolf83 said:

NCDHHS is now showing the vaccinations by age group for those administered through the Federal system separate from the general population's vaccinations. Combining this information now gives a much clearer picture of how we are doing vaccinating people by age group. In particular, you can see there has been good progress vaccinating the 65+ age group (close to 80% first vaccination) and the 50-65 age group is making good progress toward the 70% target. Where there needs to be a focus is the 24-49 year old age group. These are the age groups where significant gains toward herd immunity can be made.

I still think if they could get 10-15% more in the 50-64, it would make a lot more difference in overall negative outcomes than the younger focus. Allthough the sub 50 would get the population number up there.

I've been watching the CDC ED CLI number every day, they delay reporting for 3 days (so this goes through May 6th) and there may be some slight backfill at times, but NC has mirrored the overall US and since mid April this number has absolutely cratered.

It makes me kind of skeptical at times about how accurate some of the reporting coming out of NC hospitals have been since they are showing such a level number of ED admits and overall census. I would love to see some discharge and length of stay numbers.

Either way, hope this continues to trend down.

PackFansXL
Despite all the lies we've been told by our government, the hard data shows reduced infection rates. Getting back to normal will accelerate when folks are confident they are safe from infection or infecting their families and they can count on their vaccinations to safely get them there. We can do that without trusting our corrupt government and press. Trust me. ;o)
wilmwolf
Seems counterintuitive for hospitalizations to be staying the same as the number of the most vulnerable population being vaccinated continue to go up. I know there has been chatter about new strains affecting younger people more severely, but I haven't seen any indication that new strains are the reason here in NC. The detailed hospital data that you want seems to have been lacking the whole time.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
GuerrillaPack
PackFansXL said:

Despite all the lies we've been told by our government, the hard data shows reduced infection rates. Getting back to normal will accelerate when folks are confident they are safe from infection or infecting their families and they can count on their vaccinations to safely get them there. We can do that without trusting our corrupt government and press. Trust me. ;o)

If the government and press/media is corrupt, then their so-called "hard data" cannot be trusted either. This "data" is the crux of the issue and the deception. This virus is nowhere near as dangerous or prevalent as the falsified data says. And I've been confident that I'm safe since this charade started, as are about half of the population who never bought into this. The other half who believe the official narrative have now taken their injections...and they should be "immune" now, right? Therefore, at this time everyone should feel confident. But that should have never been a standard for being able to violate our rights and shut down businesses and our lives.
Daviewolf83
wilmwolf80 said:

Seems counterintuitive for hospitalizations to be staying the same as the number of the most vulnerable population being vaccinated continue to go up. I know there has been chatter about new strains affecting younger people more severely, but I haven't seen any indication that new strains are the reason here in NC. The detailed hospital data that you want seems to have been lacking the whole time.
I agree and it has puzzled me as well. Based on the daily admit numbers, I assume the discharges are approximately 100 to 110 per day. The total number (when percent of hospitals reporting is constant) hovers around 1,000 to 1,050 hospitalized. Only a few times has it dropped below 1,000 (I do not count those days when reporting dropped below 97%). We are basically at a point now where the age ranges contributing to hospitalizations is roughly the same. Older people still make up a slightly higher percentage, but nothing like it was before the vaccines started to kick in.

I think we need to hit the inflection point on vaccinations to make a bigger dent in hospitalizations. Currently, the case rate in NC is approximately 12 cases per 100,000 people. To see a significant drop in hospitalizations, we need to see a case rate below 10 cases per 100,000 and it really needs to be below 5 cases per 100,000 people. In San Francisco as an example, they are now seeing case rates below 5 cases per 100,000 people and they achieved this by getting 72% of their population vaccinated. Additionally, they have had several days where they have had no deaths of people with Covid.
Daviewolf83
Wayland said:

Daviewolf83 said:

I still think if they could get 10-15% more in the 50-64, it would make a lot more difference in overall negative outcomes than the younger focus. Allthough the sub 50 would get the population number up there.

I've been watching the CDC ED CLI number every day, they delay reporting for 3 days (so this goes through May 6th) and there may be some slight backfill at times, but NC has mirrored the overall US and since mid April this number has absolutely cratered.

It makes me kind of skeptical at times about how accurate some of the reporting coming out of NC hospitals have been since they are showing such a level number of ED admits and overall census. I would love to see some discharge and length of stay numbers.

Either way, hope this continues to trend down.

I agree on the vaccination numbers. If we can get overall first vaccine percentages for NC above 60%, I believe it will go a long way in reducing the cases and hospitalizations further. To do this, we need the 50-64 to get to roughly 70% vaccinated with their first dose and some additional increases in the 40-50 age group.

I am hopeful we get their by late June, since it would make the next wave of cases less impactful. I am reasonably confident we will see another wave from late June through mid-August, when the weather gets really hot and people head inside to escape the heat Having a vaccination level above 60% should be enough to prevent a large impact to hospitals and deaths should be lower, due to higher vaccination rates of the 65+ population.
First Page Last Page
Page 268 of 568

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.